The 600 baht Thai pensions scheme for over 60s may end

Mentioned on a news current affairs programme last night was a report of discussions being underway to means test the now 600 baht monthly government pension payments presently paid to all Thai citizens 60 and over. Besides this I have not been able to find any other sources of information.

They said people with 3 mil baht savings and on minimum monthly incomes of 9000 baht will no longer qualify for the 600 baht monthly government allowance, even those that are already receiving it. No mention was made whether or not savings and incomes for married couples are going to be evaluated jointly per couple or just singly for the person receiving the allowance.

Won't affect many people then if it does go ahead.

To call 600 baht a month a pension is an absolute joke in itself.

My gf qualifies for this in the next 7 months and she calls it a pension but I don`t actually know if it`s a pension or an allowance. All I know that it`s the 600 baht a month handout the over 60s get.

Thai pension is 500 (five hundred) Baht, not 600. Source: my wife's parents each get 500 Baht every month here in the Esaan. Not her father anymore, he passed away last December aged 83.

Edited by Dario

Thai pension is 500 (five hundred) Baht, not 600. Source: my wife's parents each get 500 Baht every month here in the Esaan. Not her father anymore, he passed away last December aged 83.

The amount varies by age group. It becomes higher the older the person.

It is indeed called a pension and Thai newspapers have run reports within the last two days.

This is the original 500 baht plan

http://www.social-protection.org/gimi/gess/RessourcePDF.do?ressource.ressourceId=24378

Video of current plan here:

http://www.pension-watch.net/country-fact-file/thailand/

Edited by lopburi3

That just about buys a large bag of rice !!!! A Thai friend of mine who was in the teaching industry for 30 years tells me his monthly pension is 13,000 per month he also says all his family qualify for free health, he seems very happy with what he receives he does however have 8 house which he rents out at 15,000 baht per month per house to long term farangs !!!!

That just about buys a large bag of rice !!!! A Thai friend of mine who was in the teaching industry for 30 years tells me his monthly pension is 13,000 per month he also says all his family qualify for free health, he seems very happy with what he receives he does however have 8 house which he rents out at 15,000 baht per month per house to long term farangs !!!!

The Government needs to make savings,it's saving up to buy

2-3 submarines and maybe a few planes for the Aircraft carrier.

regards worgeordie

but no shiny buckets to save the water for next years drought

The Government needs to make savings,it's saving up to buy

2-3 submarines and maybe a few planes for the Aircraft carrier.

regards worgeordie

and do not forget the coast guard cutter with retractable wheels the ordered from china .

Thai pension is 500 (five hundred) Baht, not 600.

I think you'll find it increases with age though.

If over 99 and accompanied by both parents at the local amphur one can expect to receive 1000 baht a month.

There the only people I'd consider giving credit to.

600 Bht (that's what over 60's get here) may not be a lot in a lot of your eyes one person say he spends more on breakfast!!! Hope you enjoy it. To a lot of Thai's that money saves there lives monthly. Our elders did not have the western style pay into a pension and could not afford to save for old age. 600Bht buys a lot of food for them couple that with gifts from other villagers (food and clothing). They have a quite but good old age. All looked after by our own family and friends not the same in UK where OAP's seem to be one there own or put into care.. so 600Bht is not a lot but without it people would suffer

600 Bht (that's what over 60's get here) may not be a lot in a lot of your eyes one person say he spends more on breakfast!!! Hope you enjoy it. To a lot of Thai's that money saves there lives monthly. Our elders did not have the western style pay into a pension and could not afford to save for old age. 600Bht buys a lot of food for them couple that with gifts from other villagers (food and clothing). They have a quite but good old age. All looked after by our own family and friends not the same in UK where OAP's seem to be one there own or put into care.. so 600Bht is not a lot but without it people would suffer

I guess that makes one wonder why there are so many elderly Thai people begging for money around the BTS stations in Bangkok ? Perhaps their families did not even bother to put them into care like we do in the west.

I agree that 600 baht is a lifesaver to many older Thais but please don't try to convince us Thais take better care of their elderly than we do. We ALL have to do better than we do now.

Yes there are old people begging never seen any in villages which is what I speak off. Having been UK a few times I see a lot of OAP's put into care homes where here we could not afford that to start with we look after our own. Maybe beggers you see have no family????? You say we must all do better i agree but yes I do belive we care for our elders better than western countries