The way Thais travel. Do they have any alternative?

Bangkok Barry

...and public transport outside of Bangkok is often poor to non-existent...

This part is hogwash. Apparently the poster has never been outside of Bangkok.

Buses, songthaews, sam-lors, and some motorcycle taxis go virtually everywhere in the sticks outside of medium to small towns.

In fact, the only downside in going back to my home country (supposedly "developed") to visit, is that public transportation out in the countryside is not as convenient as within Thailand.

The reason you see these overloaded motorcycles and pick up trucks is strictly due to convenience. Same mentality as throwing plastic rubbish all over the roadsides.

Most of these people/families could afford the 9 baht to go up to 15 or 20 km. on a local songthaew. Need to go further? The pickup truck driver charges more than what they'd pay for dirt-cheap public transportation.

What they like is the door-to-door service on their own schedule.

Whilst part of what you say is correct and there is a lot of alternative transport in rural areas, a lot of the time it is extremely intermittent and follows no schedule. A lot of the transport out here in rural Chiang Mai is as and when available, sometimes you can have a pick up come along followed closely by another, other times you may be waiting for over two hours.

I also have to agree with you about "Door to door" Thais would run a monk over if it meant they didn't have to walk another 3 feet to their destination. I have been in a taxi with some Thais in Bangkok when I didn't know where I was actually going. We sat in traffic for almost an hour only to find the final destination was only another 50 metres! Crazy.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see why they crowd on to pickups and ride four on a bike, they do have no alternative. but there is no excuse for riding or driving on the wrong side of the road, and driving or riding without lights.

They actually believe they are saving fuel by doing so, yes I know that technically they may be saving only a spot as one poster pointed out a while back.

They will cut you up by overtaking you then forcing you to brake when they want to make a left hand turn in front of you, just for the sake of saving two or three seconds, they will come out in front of you at a road junction, again just to save two or three seconds. These same retards will sit for hours in a Bangkok traffic jam and think nothing of it.

Sorry, I went a bit off topic there.

Edited by possum1931

Why farang come Thailand and talk for farangs on internet and always say Thai no good ?....

Thailand not same same farangland, if come Thailand and say Thai no good...why not stay in farangland, but farang come Thailand for lady and get drunk for beer

Farang come for sex because so many Thai woman are so soon easy to have sex with.

Think about that.

and also because they are that fat and ugly they cannot pull in their own country.

Why farang come Thailand and talk for farangs on internet and always say Thai no good ?....

Thailand not same same farangland, if come Thailand and say Thai no good...why not stay in farangland, but farang come Thailand for lady and get drunk for beer

Feeble.

Severe overuse of the word 'farang' from a lame farang written post.

I don't know whey so many 'farang' like to see themselves as defenders of all things Thai when they are legitimately called into question, also when they do so why do they utterly overuse the word 'farang'?

Do they think it will make people think they are Thai, have some incredible insight into Thai culture or change their own skin colour? It makes my skin crawl when I'm out and about or on the internet and hear/read some dumb 'farang' saying/typing 'farang' every second word in the mistaken intention that it shows some kind of 'insight'.....

Pathetic and embarrassing....Please turn it in (and YOU know just who YOU are).....

Why you come to farang forum and call farang bad? Why you not stay home and learn English gooder. Then come on farang forum to say Farang no good...

By the way the OP didn't insult Thailand in any way. He was just asking some very valid questions regarding road safety and the mentality of people here. Common Sense really...

And Finally, many Thai people go to live in Farangland and guess what they do? Constantly complain about food, weather ,laws, people's attitudes etc...

People like to complain... You are the one who brought race into the topic. You need to take a serious look at yourself and stop trolling!!!

"Why you not stay home and learn English gooder"

Pots and kettles spring to mind here..

By the way the OP didn't insult Thailand in any way. He was just asking some very valid questions regarding road safety and the mentality of people here. Common Sense really...

The OP is hiding behind the facade of vehicular safety, but his motive is about Thai-bashing. That's obvious.

If you want to talk common sense, explain to me why so many farangs don't exercise, or eat unhealthy foods, or drink to excess, or sunbathe, or smoke, or yes, ride on a motorbike without a helmet...the list is endless. Don't be so self-righteous.

or wipe their arse with paper...disgusting and filthy

Disregarding the idiot with the stupid Thai imitation (what a pratt)motor bikes and some lightweight cars are only built to carry a certain amount of people and weight Motor bikes are especially at risk,when over loading.Too many people on a bike upsets the geometry and balance of the machine,It also puts stress on parts of the bike that shouldnt have stress put on it.This would be very dangerous in wet weather,when it hasnt rained and a small downfall creates a slippery surface

Yeah we know all this,but having said it,the Thais wont stop doing it.Its their way,so leave them to it.They obviously have no real love for their kids.But you will never get it through to them.Its like trying to explain that there is an thing called an alternator,that charges their batteries when driving.But that still doesn't stop them from riding/driving with no lights.I tried once explaining it once to a Thai neighbour his answer was was that if there was such a thing,a Thai would have invented it.

So leave them to it,ignorance is bliss.rolleyes.gif

The OP makes what are actually valid observations only to have the usual suspects jump down his throat and call him a 'Thai Basher' or acuse him of attacking 'Thai Culture'.

Meanwhile the offensive post from Koosdedooes goes without comment from the self proclaimed defenders of anything Thai - perhaps they swallowed Koosdedooes' faux Tinglish.

But faux it is.

A quick search for posts by Koosdedooes reveals he is capable of writing English as his mother tongue.

Why Koosdedooes should wish to adopt fake Timglish, or indeed a Thai alter ego, for this thread is a mystery but that his representation of Tinglish is crude is without question.

It might also be regarded as offensive except it seems the guardians of all things Thai (and perhaps faux Thai) seem to have been taken in Koosdedooes' sad little game play.

I am baffled where the OP is going with this thread. If Thailand had a perfect transport system, no corruption, and a decent minimum wage, very few of us falangs could afford to live here.

The OP makes what are actually valid observations only to have the usual suspects jump down his throat and call him a 'Thai Basher' or acuse him of attacking 'Thai Culture'.

Meanwhile the offensive post from Koosdedooes goes without comment from the self proclaimed defenders of anything Thai - perhaps they swallowed Koosdedooes' faux Tinglish.

But faux it is.

A quick search for posts by Koosdedooes reveals he is capable of writing English as his mother tongue.

Why Koosdedooes should wish to adopt fake Timglish, or indeed a Thai alter ego, for this thread is a mystery but that his representation of Tinglish is crude is without question.

It might also be regarded as offensive except it seems the guardians of all things Thai (and perhaps faux Thai) seem to have been taken in Koosdedooes' sad little game play.

We all listen to the same radio, but we aint all on the same frequecny.

Whooooooooooosh.

That the sound of the subtlety (of the post) being lost on many, and flying right over their heads.

Get real. Do you think people would be jamming themselves onto a truck if they had a Mercedes sitting in their garage? Do you really have to ask such a question? And ask it on a farang forum no less?

Again, no perception, Jeez! It is those who are too poor but to risk their lives that I'm writing about! You know, those who can't afford the Merc. Like most of the population.

Geez man, listen to yourself. Ok, let's discuss this rationally. We all take risks every day, in varying degrees. Freedom of choice and all that. You know this...it's called living your life. Let me give you an example: motorcycles. Personally, I wouldn't ride one. It's just more risk than I'm willing to take. But I have a choice. There are those who don't...as well as those who ride for enjoyment. I'm fine with that. I will not judge others for the choices they make.

Why then, do YOU feel a need to judge others for the choices they make? If you can answer intelligently and don't cop-out by bringing up children, I'm happy to listen.

I will not judge others for the choices they make.

I'm quite certain you do, probably a lot more often than you care to admit.

More than you do? I doubt that very much.

I made no claim not to judge people on the choices the make, I fequently judge people for their criminal choices, the choice they make to abandon their responsibilities, the choice they make to be violent or cruel.

I do not make the simply absurd claim "I would not judge others for the choices they make"

Though I certainly might make a judgement of anyone who chooses to make such an absurd statement.

Buses, songthaews, sam-lors, and some motorcycle taxis go virtually everywhere in the sticks outside of medium to small towns.

In fact, the only downside in going back to my home country (supposedly "developed") to visit, is that public transportation out in the countryside is not as convenient as within Thailand.

The reason you see these overloaded motorcycles and pick up trucks is strictly due to convenience. Same mentality as throwing plastic rubbish all over the roadsides.

Most of these people/families could afford the 9 baht to go up to 15 or 20 km. on a local songthaew. Need to go further? The pickup truck driver charges more than what they'd pay for dirt-cheap public transportation.

There is no public transport near our village, to suggest that there is everywhere is nonsense.

I will not judge others for the choices they make.

I'm quite certain you do, probably a lot more often than you care to admit.

More than you do? I doubt that very much.

I made no claim not to judge people on the choices the make, I fequently judge people for their criminal choices, the choice they make to abandon their responsibilities, the choice they make to be violent or cruel.

I do not make the simply absurd claim "I would not judge others for the choices they make"

Though I certainly might make a judgement of anyone who chooses to make such an absurd statement.

You're taking this to obscene lengths. You're admitting to being judgemental, but with the caveat of "criminal choices" or "abandoning their responsibilities" or being "violent or cruel." This thread is not about any of that, is it? And obviously, my comment is not about that. What the heck is the matter with you?

There is no public transport near our village, to suggest that there is everywhere is nonsense.
In 15 years I haven't visited a village or hamlet in Isaan that DIDN'T have a means of public transportation. Different folks/different experiences.

Bangkok Barry is absolutely correct when he says that public transport is poor to non-existent outside of the bigger villages and towns.

Obviously you don't live in rural Thailand. Where I live in rural Khampaeng Phet I would have to travel 6 km to the "big" village just to find the 2 motorcycle taxis or the 3 or 4 baht buses. The baht bus will take me another 60 km to KPP provided that I am not in a hurry. There is a direct bus service 9 times a day to BKK but you have to get to the big village first. There is NO direct bus service to KPP.

There are NO songteaws or sam-lors out here until you reach the main village and I suspect the same will apply in most rural areas.

How do kids get to school? Either in a pickup truck, on a scooter self driven with 2 or 3 others or on Mum and Dads motorbike.

How do farm workers travel? They get picked up by a pickup truck and delivered top the fields and return home the same way. Most of them don't have the luxury of door to door transport. If you miss the pickup truck then there is no work and no pay for the day.

How does my son get to school in KPP? He gets the minibus that leaves at 05.40 and brings him home just before 6 pm.

Farang come for sex because so many Thai woman are so soon easy to have sex with.

Think about that.

Yet another stupid generalisation about Thailand.

Think about that.

Not at all, I'm refering to the westerners that come for sex, thought that was obvious.

For those that come for sex it's given away like hot cakes, the Elephant man could get laid in Thailand.

Still men walk around like they have achieved something.

Many things are just normal as that's what they see their whole life, when they spend time in farangland they often see how selfish and disgusting it is to endanger their childrens lives the way they do.

Such unsavory self righteous indignation. I'm sure the Thais love their children as much, if not more, than you do. You're a disgusting human being.

So thais love their children more.

You will not find my children without a seatbelt or helmet.

Sitting on the drivers lap etc.

Even thais that can afford a baby capsule often don't.

What you call love i call selfish.

Many can do far better despite their situation.

Many things are just normal as that's what they see their whole life, when they spend time in farangland they often see how selfish and disgusting it is to endanger their childrens lives the way they do.

Such unsavory self righteous indignation. I'm sure the Thais love their children as much, if not more, than you do. You're a disgusting human being.

This is quite true. My daughter's grandmother has plenty of money and yet has never bothered to buy a child safety seat for her car, even though she used to like taking her granddaughter out every week. Family supposedly educated, wealthy, blah blah blah, but completely stupid as far as road safety is concerned. She's no longer allowed to take my daughter anywhere, for the record. Couldn't make them see sense so gave up trying. Idiotic in my opinion.

This part is hogwash. Apparently the poster has never been outside of Bangkok

I live out in the sticks, 50 kms from the nearest big town, and have experienced life in the Thai countryside for nearly 25 years, settling outside of Bangkok several years ago. Where transport is limited to non-existent. Sure there are a couple of local 'taxis' around, but I've yet to see any of them able to cram in 12 people or more into one as people do with pick-ups, and they are few and far between, And the local transport boys might take you home FROM the market, but I doubt they do pickups from home to take you TO the market.

I agree with Bangkok Barry. Anyone who thinks there are plentiful options for transport outside of Bangkok...well, they haven't been to many places outside of Bangkok. Some cities are better than others but most of the time the options are limited.

Actually the photo shows even more the "stupidity " in the way those kids are sitting, on the lip of the pick up, at the very least they should be sitting on the flatbed part.

This is quite true. My daughter's grandmother has plenty of money and yet has never bothered to buy a child safety seat for her car, even though she used to like taking her granddaughter out every week. Family supposedly educated, wealthy, blah blah blah, but completely stupid as far as road safety is concerned. She's no longer allowed to take my daughter anywhere, for the record. Couldn't make them see sense so gave up trying. Idiotic in my opinion.

See my thread on seatbelts, I was quite dismayed to see over 20 vehicles pull into a PTT station and none of them put seatbelts on when leaving, not one.

I've taken truck loads of family and friends to hospitals, prison visit, just to visit friends. It takes some adjustment to this way of travel. Back of pickup filled with people. There is no other choice for these folks. Judge if you may. Our kid has never had a child seat, roamed the truck at will. Just like when I was a kid. We had no car seats either. When we go on holiday, we rent a motorbike, you might see us riding 3-4 at a time.

We put our seat belts on when away from village. There's a point where we know cameras are about, or road stops are prevelant. Long distance we have seat belt in the front.

I've taken truck loads of family and friends to hospitals, prison visit, just to visit friends. It takes some adjustment to this way of travel. Back of pickup filled with people. There is no other choice for these folks. Judge if you may. Our kid has never had a child seat, roamed the truck at will. Just like when I was a kid. We had no car seats either. When we go on holiday, we rent a motorbike, you might see us riding 3-4 at a time.

We put our seat belts on when away from village. There's a point where we know cameras are about, or road stops are prevelant. Long distance we have seat belt in the front.

You've reverted back to "the good old" 1950's. Bragging or complaining? Forget it. We know.

Edited by Fookhaht

Think about that.

Not at all, I'm refering to the westerners that come for sex, thought that was obvious.

For those that come for sex it's given away like hot cakes, the Elephant man could get laid in Thailand.

Still men walk around like they have achieved something.

Then why did you not say so. Many of the westerners I know came because they were sent by their companies to do an expat job. I was sent here for nearly 4 years from 1994 to 1997. I was also sent by my company to Mexico, Chile, Venezuela, Qatar, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Egypt, Kuwait, Sri Lanka and Portugal. When I quit and went contracting I went to Holland, Belgium, UK, France, Germany, Thailand, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Papua New Guinea and New Zealand before finally retiring in Thailand.

Does visiting those countries make me a sex tourist?

As I said of your post before, yet another stupid generalisation about Thailand.

quote from your post

"Not at all, I'm refering to the westerners that come for sex, thought that was obvious.

For those that come for sex it's given away like hot cakes, the Elephant man could get laid in Thailand."

If that was what you meant to say then why didn't you say so in the first place.

You're pushing a ridiculous position, mostly to boast about your parental skills (who cares on an anonymous forum). So tell me, there are parents who are way overprotective of their children, to the point of not letting them be normal children. Does that mean they love their kids more than other folks? Of course not. If and when I have kids, I won't let them ride a motorcycle. But it doesn't mean I love my kids more than those who does.

Growing up as a kid in the country in the US what I see here in Thailand is really no different then what I did as a kid.and young adult. In fact my first pick up truck we used to load 10 people in the back to go to parties. We used to ride dirt bikes without helmets and have one passenger on the handlebars and one on the back riding home from school or work. BMX bikes the same way. Is it safe....not really but is it wrong, I do not think so. People do what they do. I personally think the US has over governed everything now to the point kids and many adults do not even leave their house. They are fat, no risk taking, brain dead gnomes..There is no fun or excitement unless you consider finishing level 5 on Recon4 video game excitement or cheering for some winner on Dancing with the stars. in the end people will die from their decisions or risks but why in the US are we are trying to save everybody is beyond me. Darwin candidates are good for thinning the gene pool.

As for what Fookthat said on the front page, yes there is excellent public transportation all over outside BKK but keep in mind, if you can save 10 baht riding on the back of a scooter with a friend what do you think they will do? I know I would hop a ride without a 2nd thought. Heck just yesterday in a pinch I hopped a Motorcycle taxi in BKK rush hour as I had to get across town quickly. I enjoyed it.