Rice with bugs

Confuscious

Weevils like rice. I always inspect pack before buying, but the eggs could be in there of course.

I am not a big fan of bugs.

I think that, considering the price at which I bought the rice, I can as well get rid of it and buy a new pack.

I had been buying good quality, premium Jasmine rice 5 Kg bags in the past from various supermarkets in BKK. And virtually every bag I'd bring home, would have weevils inside -- which I really wasn't interested in having in my rice, even if washing or sunning them away prior to cooking.

So I switched from Jasmine to Japanese variety rice grown in Thailand, bought from various of the same supermarkets, and haven't seen a weevil in my rice ever since.

Perhaps that says something about how the Thais are handling their rice for domestic use. Or, perhaps, some of the "premium" brand rice being sold at the supermarkets in fact originated with the ill-fated YL rice hording stockpiles scheme.

My wife always washes the rice before she cooks if. Not really washes it, just fills the pan with water, swishes it around then pours the water off. Maybe that's why she does it. I only eat the rice and have never seen any bugs.

My wife always washes the rice before she cooks if. Not really washes it, just fills the pan with water, swishes it around then pours the water off. Maybe that's why she does it. I only eat the rice and have never seen any bugs.

I suspect that's nothing to do with bugs. She's simply removing the surface starch so the cooked grains are more separate and less claggy. Traditionally one does seven changes of water for this purpose.

These weevils seem to develop in everything after a while if you keep it in the original packaging, even unopened.

On purchase I empty rice, pasta, flour etc into airtight plastic containers and microwave them dry for a minute or two. Kills the bugs and their eggs.

I thought that bags of peanuts were sealed, so I stood and laughed at the ants and assorted bugs as they crawled "on" the packet. I should have known from the silica bag that I was actually watching a feeding frenzy.

Anyway - small things cool down quickly. Freeze them and then wash them off.

When I buy rice in packets I always check for bug activity first. Sometimes it`s Weevils other times ants. I`ve even found this problem at Tesco Lotus. I wouldn`t chance eating that rice, best to chuck it in the garden for the birds to eat.

When I buy rice in packets I always check for bug activity first. Sometimes it`s Weevils other times ants. I`ve even found this problem at Tesco Lotus. I wouldn`t chance eating that rice, best to chuck it in the garden for the birds to eat.

You have just sent out an invitation for abuse from bird lovers who will call you out for exploding pigeons... Urban myth or not.

As long as it smells okay, I'd cook and eat the rice after washing it, which I'd do even if there were no bugs. From the time it's planted, cultivated, harvested and packaged, bugs will be in and around the rice. (And there's no telling how much mouse pee you can't see.)