Confusion reigns as Thailand ATM users set to pay more

webfact

BBL has been offering chip cards for a while. But they would work only at BBL ATMs, that why I declined. Will they now work at all ATMs across banks and even countries?

---------------------------------

i have have a Bangkok Bank Be1st Debit card for over 3 years NOT a Credt card a Debit card......and i have sucessfully used the card to withdraw funds in Malaysia, Singapore. and Vietnam.

From local bank ATMs in those countries which have an agrement with Bangkok Bank to honor Be1st cards.

That was one of the reasons I applied for a Be1st card. when i opened my account.

My current card i still one of the old type with the magnetic strip......but next month i may switch to the card with a chip.

Even if it costs me 200 Baht to convert.....it is worth it.

I resisted the BB chip card for a year or so then finally gave in. TBH, it hasn't posed much of an inconvenience and the additional security of the card is reassuring; at least until we find out the crooks have figured a way round it.

Retinal scanners and fingerprints will be next I reckon.

Next will be 'contactless' cards which are becoming the norm in the UK. U just hold your card close to the pin#/card reader machine to make a payment. You dont even have to take it out of your wallet. Or maybe this step will be skipped in Thailand in favour of 'Apple pay' or 'Android pay' where u pay with a smart phone.

Onetourist was maybe talking about the UK where there is totally free personal banking incl. free debit and credit cards. This is the result of competition rather than a 'collusion' and 'cartel' banking mentality. Actually this was forced on UK banks years ago by competition from 'Building Societies' where members could save and then borrow the funds to purchase a house. This evolved into providing full banking services and great customer service. This broke the banks monopoly and they were forced to compete with a smile rather than treating their customers with contempt as they did before. E.g., They were forced to open like BS's until 5pm Mon. to Fri. and on Saturday mornings when before they closed at 3.30pm like Thailand and other countries.

Exactly correct! I'm old enough to remember that happening re free banking and the good old Building Societies competing with the traditional banks!

Went to UK last year and amazed at the contactless options available and how it's spreading. UK in the forefront again!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BBL has been offering chip cards for a while. But they would work only at BBL ATMs, that why I declined. Will they now work at all ATMs across banks and even countries?

They will work in other banks' ATMs as soon as those banks make the necessary changes to their equipment. Bangkok Bank has been a leader with these security changes and should not be criticised for the rest of the Thai banks' slowness in doing the same.

Thanks for confirming what I said.

My question is whether the other banks in Thailand have upgraded yet, so that I would be able to use the BBL chip card at other bank's ATMs.

"My question is whether the other banks in Thailand have upgraded yet, so that I would be able to use the BBL chip card at other bank's ATMs."

As I said in a message above, I got the new card a few days ago and have used it without problem in both Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn ATMs. That doesn't prove it will work in every ATM, but if Kasikorn ATMs accept it, it seems reasonable to assume if will work in most, if not all, ATMs.

I tried 5 minutes ago at a K bank ATM with my BBK Bank chipped Debit Card and it was accepted no problem.

About 2 years ago I lost my BBL card and immediately reported it to my local branch. This was replaced at no charge with a Be1st Chip and Pin Visa debit card. As it is linked to the Visa network it will work in any ATM displaying the VISA or Plus network in the world including other Thai banks ATM's if they have been upgraded to accept Chip & Pin cards. Personally I always look for a BBL ATM as if I use another bank in Thailand they charge and the BBL ATM's have all been upgraded. My card works in the UK and Spain perfectly well. I find it best to transfer funds to a BBL savings account with no card or internet access and then 'drip feed' my debit card account when needed and regularly check this online. One thing I should note though. A couple of months ago I was in a smart restaurant and gave my debit card in payment. The waitress came back apologetically and said it had been declined! I then gave my UK Chip & Pin credit card (which I only carry for emergencies) and that too was declined! This was getting embarrassing as I was with a number of Thai friends and my G/F. I went to the back office and spoke to the Manager and he showed me two machines and the paper slips which said 'Timed Out' not declined. He couldn't read English and spoke very little. I showed him my BBL debit card and put it in the machine and immediately I saw the problem, the message came up Enter PIN! I entered my PIN and everything was fine and lots of apologies all round. He had been waiting for the slip to appear for me to sign! We are up in the North of Thailand and not many tourists atall around so I think they had not had any exposure to Chip & Pin Cards.Incidentally this did happen to me again later in a department store in the same town but, fortunately, this time I was standing by the till and anticipated the problem. All was well. I hope this is a useful post.

Singhaman.

Just happened to me in Rimping of all places [upmarket supermarket in CM] when I used my UK debit card with a chip, of course. The cashier wondered why it hadn't printed out the silly slip to sign: it was waiting for my pin number! Another cashier had to explain this to my cashier. They really are stuck in the dark ages or lack proper training quite often.

i have a Bangkok bank, be 1st visa debit card chipped for 2.5 years now .i did try another ATM some time ago but it did not work, BB atm's everywhere. one thing i did get when using the debit facility, some older card readers do not recognise the chipped card, so i have to pay cash, but again no probs there as it is the same realy

I'll continue to use my ATM-only, non-debit, non-credit, non-chip card until I'm forced to change it.

Then I might not bother with any card and just get money out at the bank with my bank-book.

I don't think so because for example truevisions eventually beat the counterfeit tvset box thing.. these chips seem to be beyond what a criminal gang can manufacture

Given time, the crocks will find a way to crack not only chips, but also fish and chips that the

banks will introduce, so far the criminals are winning big times, and the banks don't care

for some reasons, and what happened to all those dozens skimmers that got caught already?

nobody knows.......

What this is really all about. The hip pocket.

But the public have been asking about possible charges for changing their cards and a suggested increase in yearly charges with the new system.

Big Banks finding new ways to get more money out of the punters?

This could well come in under the topic of, 'Is Thailand Becoming Too Westernised'

My Australian Bank is an expert at it, has been for some time. And don't tell me to change banks, because so are all the others.

If you change to a credit union in Australia, you can get the same services at considerably less cost. I have a cheque account ( not that I use it very often ), Visa debit/credit card, ATM debit card, internet and phone banking. I transfer funds to Thailand for a flat fee of $27.50. I also have funds on term deposit with the credit union.

I haven't used one of the major banks in Australia for more than 20 years. They have nothing I need.

They will work in other banks' ATMs as soon as those banks make the necessary changes to their equipment. Bangkok Bank has been a leader with these security changes and should not be criticised for the rest of the Thai banks' slowness in doing the same.

Thanks for confirming what I said.

My question is whether the other banks in Thailand have upgraded yet, so that I would be able to use the BBL chip card at other bank's ATMs.

"My question is whether the other banks in Thailand have upgraded yet, so that I would be able to use the BBL chip card at other bank's ATMs."

As I said in a message above, I got the new card a few days ago and have used it without problem in both Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn ATMs. That doesn't prove it will work in every ATM, but if Kasikorn ATMs accept it, it seems reasonable to assume if will work in most, if not all, ATMs.

I know, I saw your post and replied to it with thanks. This posting of mine that you are replying to was directed at Scouse T.

I'll continue to use my ATM-only, non-debit, non-credit, non-chip card until I'm forced to change it.

Then I might not bother with any card and just get money out at the bank with my bank-book.

Averse to development, are we? Times change... wink.png

The bottom line is more money from you. Who's getting the money, we'll never know. It's obvious, the country has serious economic issues. In the last 2 years, there's been many schemes discussed to generate revenue or making cuts to save money. Personally, I'm concerned. Need we be reminded, we live in country that that's being managed for a purpose.

Edited by jlwilliamsjr18

Averse to development, are we? Times change... wink.png

It called security. I would never use a credit or debit card in Thailand.

Given time, the crocks will find a way to crack not only chips, but also fish and chips that the

banks will introduce, so far the criminals are winning big times, and the banks don't care

for some reasons, and what happened to all those dozens skimmers that got caught already?

nobody knows.......

Chip and pin cards have been in use since the late 1980s in France and possibly other countries, and, so far as I am aware, the crooks have not so far worked out a way to crack the technology. It helps if the banks are not too mean to pay for end to end transaction encryption (the UK banks were too mean) but the chip and pin cards are orders of magnitude more secure than the old magnetic stripe cards. I could read and write one of the latter cards with a device freely available on the Internet for next to nothing!

My daughter lives in the states and she bought a special pouch to keep her chipped cards in after reading reports that thieves with special devices can steal the information off your card while it's still in your purse or pocket. The pouch is made of a material that blocks the devices from reading the cards chip. Anyone else heard of this?

The proposed cost of changing/exchanging a debit cardd is small.Already mentioned is that it is often more expensive currently to replace a damaged or expired card.

What is more relavent is the bs that retailers use to add a percentage for card purchases. I raely use a card for purchases but if when I do the subject of an additonal amount is "suggested" I refuse it. 50 percent of those occasions result in a discount equal to the additional percentage. The other 50 percent result in a "no sale". wink.png

Yes. There is a cost to retailers for offering the card facilities. This is offset by the cost of cash handling/banking deposits.By virtue of that any additional retailer fee for card transactions local or international is fraud !

My daughter lives in the states and she bought a special pouch to keep her chipped cards in after reading reports that thieves with special devices can steal the information off your card while it's still in your purse or pocket. The pouch is made of a material that blocks the devices from reading the cards chip. Anyone else heard of this?

There has been much said about the new generation cards which includes a suspected lessening security. Chipped cards do not necessarily need to be "swiped"but can be "scanned". So it would be apparent that "scan scimming" is very possible except for the PIN or security digits. If scim scans can also detect either of those then any security is void. Do we know the truth?sad.png

What this is really all about. The hip pocket.

But the public have been asking about possible charges for changing their cards and a suggested increase in yearly charges with the new system.

Big Banks finding new ways to get more money out of the punters?

This could well come in under the topic of, 'Is Thailand Becoming Too Westernised'

My Australian Bank is an expert at it, has been for some time. And don't tell me to change banks, because so are all the others.

Bank Robbery. That is what banks do to the customers.

Banking is the world's longest running scam.

ATM transactions, cards and accounts are all free of charge where I live.

I $witzerland where I come from, Postfinance offers free ATM/Debit card which, even in case of foreign country ATM withdrawal will not have any other surcharge on their side if your account is over a certain amount.

Management of the account and e-banking is free and extremely secure as well, 24/7 helpline...

But here in Cambodia, CamPuBank wants to charge me $6,00 USD for a CamPuBank only ATM card...

I did not take it and remind the cashiers they should suggest the direction to give free "own bank ATM card" as checking my bank book, copying my passport, filling the form, etc etc is time and money consuming for the bank!

ATM transactions, cards and accounts are all free of charge where I live.

Nothing is ever free from a bank, your paying somewhere

WRONG. As long as I'm in credit I pay no bank charges whatsoever. Free ATM cards, free withdrawals, no annual charges. Other services charged in line with other banks. None of the rip off charges levied by Thai banks, like paying to withdraw from an ATM in another province.

nobody knows.......

They are insured against fraud, also if your debit card is skimmed well its your money, not theirs.

Even if a credit card gets cloned the credit card companies are insured so the only loser all round is always the customer, always has been, but we all need bank accounts nowadays so what can you do?

Use Bitcoin when possible. If its just our money and if they can't be bothered, well...with each passing day it is getting more practical to use alternatives.

nobody knows.......

No need to wait, that's already happened. Malware exists that can compromise the ATM itself. The chip helps for now, but it's a never-ending cat & mouse game, the chip technology itself (referred to as EMV) hasn't actually been implemented properly in many instances to begin with, and even cards with chips are susceptible to being "scraped". Banks and businesses are like some people here on TVF: they have selective memories and don't tend to accept as real the bad things that haven't happened to them personally yet. Anyway, here's some info.

http://blog.trendmicro.com/%E2%80%8Bdefending-against-new-pos-malware-with-emv-technology/

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/security/news/security-technology/faq-emv-credit-cards

Some more recent malware is really focused on the ATM itself, and can make it give up cash without anyone's card or strip or chip. That should make banks sit up & take notice I would think...

http://resources.infosecinstitute.com/hacking-atms-new-wave-malware/

There's not much about the muslim world that I find attractive, but the practice of cutting off the hands of thieves does have a certain appeal...