Fluke Multimeter Repair or Replace?

Bit of a dilema. I have quite an old Fluke multimeter, it is the 87 III True RMS - nice bit of kit in its day but now is in need of repair. The DC Voltage doesn't work and only reads 0V all the time. All of the other functions seem fine.

It needs a new switch knob, and probably the rotary connectors on the rear, the Fuse for current is missing, the case has a small crack. Fluke in Singapore estimate it may be 200 USD to repair and service, however it could even be more.

I have had a look at buying a new Fluke, the 107, for about 70 USD, it does virtually everything I need.

Anyone know if repairing the old Fluke is worth it ( Then trying to sell it) or just cut my losses and go with the new 107?

It is agonising for me as I have owned the 87 for almost 20 years and it has never let me down until now. It also has a lot of functions I never use - maybe I could sell it for spares?

Any ideas.

I was going to suggest you sold it for spares when I got to the last line of your post :)

A superb meter for its day but in reality it's not going to be worth $200 to fix :(

I was going to suggest you sold it for spares when I got to the last line of your post smile.png

A superb meter for its day but in reality it's not going to be worth $200 to fix sad.png

Cheers,

you get attached to some things, especially when they are such good quality. I think you are right though, I need to think with my head and not my heart.

What do you think of the Fluke 107? It does most things, V AC/DC, A - AC/DC, Capacitance, Diode, Resistance etc. seems like a reasonable meter for the price.

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/inen/digital-multimeters/compact-multimeters/fluke-107.htm?pid=77007

The 107 is a great little instrument and for 60 quid you can't go far wrong. For most of us it goes far beyond what we will ever use in anger, maybe a little small (ok minuscule) for those with larger paws who like a chunky, rugged beast.

I know what you mean about getting attached. For many years I had an Enertec analog storage scope (the type with a storage tube), when new it cost the best part of five grand (no I didn't buy it new, I got it from the works skip) it was quirky, temperamental and one of the three channels didn't work, but when it finally died I was gutted.

EDIT It was a 5220 Enertec5220-4.pdf making on-screen measurements was unheard of back in the late '80s.

The 107 is a great little instrument and for 60 quid you can't go far wrong. For most of us it goes far beyond what we will ever use in anger, maybe a little small (ok minuscule) for those with larger paws who like a chunky, rugged beast.

I know what you mean about getting attached. For many years I had an Enertec analog storage scope (the type with a storage tube), when new it cost the best part of five grand (no I didn't buy it new, I got if from the works skip) it was quirky, temperamental and one of the three channels didn't work, but when it finally died I was gutted.

I will just go for the Fluke 107, it looks pretty good, to me it is worth paying a bit more than bottom dollar for this sort of stuff as most Flukes have good protection and won't fry if you make a mistake, plus as I already said, the 87 lasted me decades.

Indeed, I have an ancient 1960's Marconi TF1330 at my mothers place, never worked in 20 years, can't part with it. (useless these days). Along with an ancient AVO that still works great - again cannot part with it, weighs about a hundredweight - real handy!

I also HAD a VOX Continental 1960's organ, same as used by the Animals / Doors, was in great working order, my mother threw it in the skip! (I am going back to the UK this year, first time in 6 years - I am going to kill her when I get there)

I also HAD a VOX Continental 1960's organ, same as used by the Animals / Doors, was in great working order, my mother threw it in the skip! (I am going back to the UK this year, first time in 6 years - I am going to kill her when I get there)

I'm sorry for your loss.

I really, really, hope some skip-diver had a great day before it went to the dump.

I bought this cheap ($15) unit on Ebay last week - no need for fancy meter for most of us these days - and using AAA batteries supply easy to maintain. Seems to work well.

s-l500.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401014421898?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

That is cheap! But to be honest, I like Fluke for the safety and the protection. Some of the cheaper meters will die if you make a mistake. I used to have an all singing all dancing Maplin that measured everything, not autoranging, make a mistake and it just fried. I have used Fluke for over 20 years and never found a better meter, admittedly, not the cheapest, but very tough. Glad you got a good deal, hope it proves to be OK.

Just looking at the meter, how do you select the different options? It doesn't seem to have a dial etc.

Edited by Generalchaos

I sadly "lost" my fluke 87lll recently, the display faded out. I bought a pretty nice replacement called Uni T at an electrical store in Chiang Mai. Had some cheapie but paid 1500 and was decent quality. As an electrician I was happy with it and I'm fussy about meters!

I still have Fluke 77 with me here ( bought in 1985 , I think). Still very accurate although the LCD is deteriorating.

I would open it and clean the rotary switches first and see if it got better. ( and put a new fuse in)

Fluke 107 looks very nice with 6000 count , and extra's like capacitance, frequency & duty cycle.

But for normal use I would agree with Lopburi3 , to buy a cheaper simpler MM , and because I don't want to buy US anymore when there are plenty of alternatives.

Just hope the old Fluke 77 doesn't bail on me.

Don't spend a lot of money on a multimeter for typical/occasional home usage.....there are just too many low cost and good quality choices to buy online, in stores, etc. Buying a Fluke for an average person's needs is big time overkill. They are more geared to professional and daily usage...and you pay the price. Gosh I still have to two no-name, cheap, hand held digital multi meters (about the size of a pack of cigarettes) I got 20 years ago and they are still going strong...and accurate based on cross checks. I even had them calibrated when they were around 10 years old and they were still well within specs. Even got a Radio Shack digital multimeter around 15 years old going strong and checks about any function I would ever need to include capacitance, temp. And since those two cigarette pack sized multimeters didn't have a capacitance function mid 2015 I bought another cigarette pack sized multiimeter with capacitance measurement capability for less than $12 USD like shown at this Ebay link...works great.

These people are an authorized repair center in Bangkok http://www.measuretronix.com/en. I have an old Fluke 79 that i sent to them a few years ago because the display was really dim. They looked at it and said that the display was bad but that they could not repair it since the part had been discontinued and sent it back.

Since the US has a consumer product law that repair parts must be available for 10 years after a product is discontinued I wrote to Fluke in Redmond, Washington, and complained, it was discontinued 9 years before. I didn't expect to here anything from them an one day a new Fluke 179 appeared in the mail with a letter of apology!

While I was waiting I bought a cheap DVM from Aliexpress, one with the clamp. I also "tinkered" around with the old 70 re-soldering everything that I could get to and lo and behold the display came back full brightness. I now have the old 79, a new 179, and a cheap CE D3266L. I still use the cheap, 300 baht, analog meter that I picked up at the local market the most.

I sadly "lost" my fluke 87lll recently, the display faded out. I bought a pretty nice replacement called Uni T at an electrical store in Chiang Mai. Had some cheapie but paid 1500 and was decent quality. As an electrician I was happy with it and I'm fussy about meters!

Uni T Meters have actually had excellent reviews and seem like a really good choice. ( The only main downside for this meter is poor input protection - i.e. you can damage it if you make a mistake on settings even at basic mains voltage) Can you remember where in Chiang Mai that you bought it. (The Uni T UT61E Came out better than some Fluke meters in value for money)

Also, can you let me know the model no.? I would be interested in taking a look at one of those. Thanks.

Edited by Generalchaos

These people are an authorized repair center in Bangkok http://www.measuretronix.com/en. I have an old Fluke 79 that i sent to them a few years ago because the display was really dim. They looked at it and said that the display was bad but that they could not repair it since the part had been discontinued and sent it back.

Since the US has a consumer product law that repair parts must be available for 10 years after a product is discontinued I wrote to Fluke in Redmond, Washington, and complained, it was discontinued 9 years before. I didn't expect to here anything from them an one day a new Fluke 179 appeared in the mail with a letter of apology!

While I was waiting I bought a cheap DVM from Aliexpress, one with the clamp. I also "tinkered" around with the old 70 re-soldering everything that I could get to and lo and behold the display came back full brightness. I now have the old 79, a new 179, and a cheap CE D3266L. I still use the cheap, 300 baht, analog meter that I picked up at the local market the most.

I was given a repair centre contact by Fluke for an authorised "repair" centre in Bangkok, their website didn't work, they never answer the phone and don't respond to E mails - i.e. another typical Thai business. In the end I had to deal with Fluke Singapore.

Don't spend a lot of money on a multimeter for typical/occasional home usage.....there are just too many low cost and good quality choices to buy online, in stores, etc. Buying a Fluke for an average person's needs is big time overkill. They are more geared to professional and daily usage...and you pay the price. Gosh I still have to two no-name, cheap, hand held digital multi meters (about the size of a pack of cigarettes) I got 20 years ago and they are still going strong...and accurate based on cross checks. I even had them calibrated when they were around 10 years old and they were still well within specs. Even got a Radio Shack digital multimeter around 15 years old going strong and checks about any function I would ever need to include capacitance, temp. And since those two cigarette pack sized multimeters didn't have a capacitance function mid 2015 I bought another cigarette pack sized multiimeter with capacitance measurement capability for less than $12 USD like shown at this Ebay link...works great.

Thanks for that, and thanks for the link - Wow these things are getting cheap! (CAT II for 12 USD!!!) I want a CAT 3 meter for working on mains supply, I wouldn't trust CAT 2 for much more than basic appliance testing, certainly not in Thailand when there is a storm with chances of lightning surges. The other thing is that a lot of these cheaper meters that measure current are not fused at their 10A rating, again just something I prefer.

After getting a 230V AC mains shock through my teeth a few years back, I take a serious look at safety these days.

Edited by Generalchaos

The other thing to think about with some of these cheaper meters, even ones with the CAT 2 or 3 rating, is the leads supplied. Check your test leads and see if they are marked with the same CAT rating, a lot of cheaper models will have really crappy leads that sort of null and void any CAT ratings of the meter.

After getting a 230V AC mains shock through my teeth a few years back, I take a serious look at safety these days.

Interesting troubleshooting technique! One hand to hold the part, the other to hold one lead and the other lead between your teeth? Next time you try it use a mirror to see if your eyes register the correct voltage!

Interesting troubleshooting technique! One hand to hold the part, the other to hold one lead and the other lead between your teeth? Next time you try it use a mirror to see if your eyes register the correct voltage!

I wasn't using the meter at the time, I was working on a 60 Amp Breaker for our mains supply for the water pump, two hands were busy so I used my mouth to pull the door of the breaker box open and must have shorted something, it hit me right in the teeth and luckily being AC it flung me back on my ass!

• 10 months later...

I have got Fluke 1730, Just like new with 3 phase  1500 Amps Rope CT if anyone wants to buy am going to sell it.. 

If anyone want to buy for HV measurement please contact me..

Tim

fluke-1730.jpg