webfact

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 Girls Killed in School Dormitory Fire
by CityNews

fire-schoolhouse.jpg

CityNews – 17 girls aged between five and 12 years old have died after a fire broke out in a school dormitory in Wiengpapao, Chiang Rai last night.

Last night, May 22, the female dormitory of Pitak Kriet Wittaya School in Wiengpapao District, Chiang Rai, caught on fire. The fire quickly spread through the building, blocking escape routes. According to officials on the scene, the building was made of wood so caught fire very quickly, along with students clothing and bedding that also burns easily.

Officials spent over three hours controlling the blaze before it was finally stopped.

The dormitory housed 38 students, with most of them becoming trapped in the building. Once the fire was put out, fire crews entered the building an managed to save five girls, with two of them suffering serious injuries.

Full story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/17-girls-killed-school-dormitory-fire/

cn.png
-- Chiang City News 2016-05-23

I pray to God for them young souls, Amen

God is almighty, isn't he? So he let them die then, did he? Your god apparently thought it was a good idea to burn little girls alive.

You don't believe in God. We get it. That's you perogative. No need to belittle those that do believe in God. His sentiment was genuine.

Very tragic, horrific accidents do happen in all countries and we are of course shocked.

But it made me think of an article I read about how ISIS had recently intentionally burnt a 12 year old girl alive, truly unbelievable savagery!

Yet with all the military might in the world at our disposal ,we have still not totally obliterated these sub human deranged lunatics because of all the political posturing!

Its a strange world.

This is so. Saddening poor little ones RIP.

I BET THEY DO NOT HAVE FIRE DRILLS. IT SHOULD BE LAW. THE FIRE SERVICE SHOULD CARRY OUT FIR DRILLS TO TEACH THE SCHOOL AUTHORATIES BUT TO TIREING FOR THEM.

FIRE DRILLS ARE LAW IN WESTERN COUNTRYS EVEN FOR SUPERMARKETS AND OFFICE BLOCKS.

BUT TO MUCH PAPER WORK HERE, SO SAD TO SAY.

God is almighty, isn't he? So he let them die then, did he? Your god apparently thought it was a good idea to burn little girls alive.

Only small-minded people resort to finding God as a scapegoat.

18 girls killed in fire at school dormitory in Thailand
GABRIELLE PALUCH, Associated Press

BANGKOK (AP) — Police say 18 girls ranging from 5 to 12 years old have been killed in a fire at a boarding school dormitory in northern Thailand.

A police official says five other girls were injured, with two in serious condition, in the fire late Sunday in Chiang Rai district.

He said Monday that two of the bodies were so badly burned they were unidentifiable. The official did not wish to be identified because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

Some more girls survived without injuries, but it was not known how many.

Firefighters took three hours to extinguish the fire, and pulled survivors and bodies from the second-story window of the wooden building.

The cause of the fire was not immediately known.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-05-23

RIP. A terrible tragedy. Unbelievable that the doors, or more likely door, were locked from the outside. Like many many Thai buildings fire escape routes are non existant. I personally live in a five storey block of apartments with a population of about 200 persons and only one open stair at one end of the building, no smoke alarms no sprinklers. The authorities at the very least should make the owner install smoke alarms but I have lived there for 5 years and there has never been an inspection or a fire drill. I guess a fire drill is not necessary being only one way out!!!!!

In most civilised countries, (as Thailand claims to be), any building such as a mutiple residential, office, etc., has to have at least two exists. If over 3 floors the escape stairs have to be enclosed and smoke alarms installed. Regular fire drills and inspection by authorities are mandatory. Escape doors can not be locked. To prevent unauthorised access there is no lock or access possible from the outside. There are just panic bars on the inside which only need a push for the door to open. For a schoolgirls dormitary there are even more protection facilities such as 24 hour security personnal and cctv coverage.

It won't bring the girls back but let's hope the full weight of the law comes down on those who negilance allowed this terrible tragedy to occur and also wake up the authorites to the apalling situation that exists in his country, particularly on older buildings such as I live in which are just another tragedy waiting to happen.

What a horror, but what horror.
A real drama.
My thoughts are with children who, for some, have views to die, and all their relatives.
Be kind, do not look for leaders.
This happens even in countries where safety standards are very strict, as in France, for example.

Do they do this in France

"Primary inspection revealed that so many lives were perished because the dormitory was locked from outside, thus trapping the victims inside."

This level of loss of life was completly avoidable.

2 Bits:

Probably these schools are fine as they are. A wood, inexpensive school is appropriate.

However, you need an escape door on every floor on several sides.

Anyone disagree that would be enough?

Not locking the ones available from the outside would also help prevent loss of life.

..and only the greatest minds find God as solace and refuge?

Doors locked from the outside...criminal negligence or manslaughter?

Can't believe how stupid people are put in positions of managing others...

Damn PM talks about critical thinking skills for kids...too bad adults in this society lack that skill...not only school administrators be held responsible but gov fire inspectors whose job is for this to never happen....

Really hard to respect a society when establishments and authorized people are so ignorant....

Very tragic, horrific accidents do happen in all countries and we are of course shocked.

But it made me think of an article I read about how ISIS had recently intentionally burnt a 12 year old girl alive, truly unbelievable savagery!

Yet with all the military might in the world at our disposal ,we have still not totally obliterated these sub human deranged lunatics because of all the political posturing!

Its a strange world.

My friend, your post is so far off topic that it is unbelievable.

Keep your hatred by all means, but keep comments like above away from tragic events that have nothing to do with terrorism.

Fire Kills 17 Sleeping School Girls
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14639792101463979228l.jpg
Fire fighters take one hour to control the fire that broke out at a student dormitory in Chiang Rai Sunday night. Photo : Pitakkiet Witthaya School / Facebook

CHIANG RAI — At least 17 school girls died when a fire broke out in their dormitory in northern Thailand late sunday night.

It took authorities around one hour to bring the blaze under control as flames spread through the 40-year-old two-storey building of private boarding school “Pitakkiet Witthaya” in Chiang Rai’s Wiang Pa Pao district. Dozens of girls aged 5 to 12-year-old were sleeping inside at 11pm when the blaze began.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1463979210

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-05-23

A tragic waste of young lives with something as simple as a smoke alarms may have saved some if not all

Unfortunately battery(s) would likely get used for something else, but there hasn't been and likely won't be much information to assess the why and what other than the common denominator. Whatever that might be other than tragedy,deaf ears and pointing fingers at somebody else..

Edited by silent

i blame the government ,because the government of Thailand never does anything only talk will not do shit, does not matter military or civilian all the same. terrible tragic young people with everything to live forr and a government not caring for children. inspect,bring to court ,fine make businesses live up to the fire code that is on the books,

Now which government will you blame?

The current one, the ones that went before, the ones who were in power at the time the place was built? Who?

It is fine to place the blame somewhere, but exactly where do you place it?

In God's care now. crying.gif

How horrible for god to let it happen in the first place. After all he is all powerful and omnipresent, right? So why didn't he stop it? Maybe because he doesn't exist. Perhaps they are in the care of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Back to reality - horrible event. RIP little ones.

Saying "RIP" is equally dismissive and belittles the tragedy. It's a terrible learned habit just like god. They are not resting peacefully. That's false comfort to avoid the painful reality. They were burned alive. There must be accountability.

Fair comment. Although not as bad as a belief in god, if I may say. But your point is a good one.

I was not the one starting referring to god in the first place, but when people do, the least one can expect is that they see the whole picture. Please tell me what this god can do if he/she/it couldn't even prevent this tragedy from happening. What's the point of praying to something that apparently has no power?

People may believe in whatever they want, but referring to that belief after a tragedy like this is highly appropriate. If you want to pray, pray that your god fixes the world so that tragedies like this don't happen in the future.

"Primary inspection revealed that so many lives were perished because the dormitory was locked from outside, thus trapping the victims inside."

Get the person who locked the dormitory - they are responsible for all the deaths !

Terrible tragedy - so preventable !

Doors locked from the outside...criminal negligence or manslaughter?

Can't believe how stupid people are put in positions of managing others...

Damn PM talks about critical thinking skills for kids...too bad adults in this society lack that skill...not only school administrators be held responsible but gov fire inspectors whose job is for this to never happen....

Really hard to respect a society when establishments and authorized people are so ignorant....

Why are you blaming this PM? Why not put the blame on past administrations where it belongs.