Work Permit Cancellation

Hi,

A friend of mine is looking for some information regarding the cancellation of his work permit.
His old school is going to cancel his work permit next week due to him leaving.
He has an extension of stay stamp up until the 31st of Aug.
My question is, if his previous school cancels his permit, can he stay in-country up until the 31st of August?

Cheers!

Hi,

So, as soon as his previous school cancels his work permit does he get 7 days to exit the country?

Thanks

There is no 7 days. A 7 day extension can be applied for, the 1900 baht fee paid and then he would be given 7 days to leave the country at immigration with a termination letter stating the last date of his employment after the extension is canceled.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information.. so just to confirm this again.. resign your position work permit and visa date match up.. thus you quite a month early but your visa is still good... one needs to apply for extension stay.

Next question.. then when does the person have to the out of the country travel nonsense? After the first extension ends?

One more.. supposes.. you resign a position, but start another position.. do you still need to go out of the country and start the process over again?

Cheers.

Thanks for the information.. so just to confirm this again.. resign your position work permit and visa date match up.. thus you quite a month early but your visa is still good... one needs to apply for extension stay.

Next question.. then when does the person have to the out of the country travel nonsense? After the first extension ends?

One more.. supposes.. you resign a position, but start another position.. do you still need to go out of the country and start the process over again?

Cheers.

Suggest you re-read the thread which contains answers to most of your questions.

For most obtaining a new job involves obtaining a new "B" visa and job linked work permit.

Cheers.

On the date your jobs ends you need to cancel your extension using a letter from your employer stating the date it ends. You can either go to immigration a few days before that date and immigration will post date the cancellation which would give you time to leave the country by that date. Or you can apply for a 7 day extension.

If you have a new job arranged before you current one ends it is possible for the new employer to apply for a work permit for you and obtain a application approval letter. Then on the date your job ends your current extension would be canceled and then you would apply for a new one using supporting documents from the new employer and the work permit application approval letter. Then your current work permit would be canceled and the new one issued,

• Like 1

Hi,

So, as soon as his previous school cancels his work permit does he get 7 days to exit the country?

Thanks

There is no 7 days. A 7 day extension can be applied for, the 1900 baht fee paid and then he would be given 7 days to leave the country at immigration with a termination letter stating the last date of his employment after the extension is canceled.
If you apply for the 7 day extension on the last day both work permit and extension of stay expire do you still need a termination letter?

Hi,

Thanks

If you apply for the 7 day extension on the last day both work permit and extension of stay expire do you still need a termination letter?

Yes you need a termination letter. Without it they will not know when you actually stopped working.

If you have a termination letter you can save the cost of the extension by going to immigration a few days before the date on it and they will post date the cancellation to that date.

Hi,

Thanks

Yes you need a termination letter. Without it they will not know when you actually stopped working.

If you have a termination letter you can save the cost of the extension by going to immigration a few days before the date on it and they will post date the cancellation to that date.

But if your work permit and extension of stay expire naturally together for example on june 30 and the termination letter shows as june 30 as the last working day and say you go a few days before what exactly immigration is going to stamp as last day? The same date that is already in the passport? Is there such a thing as a cancelation stamp?

But if your work permit and extension of stay expire naturally together for example on june 30 and the termination letter shows as june 30 as the last working day and say you go a few days before what exactly immigration is going to stamp as last day? The same date that is already in the passport? Is there such a thing as a cancelation stamp?

If the letter states you job is ending on June 30th immigration will stamp the extension as cancelled effective the 30th. You would then have until the 30th to leave the country.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Since I might soon be in the situation where I have to cancel my work permit, to then apply for a completely new work permit,

for working at the same company , I would ask: do I need a employment termination letter from the company to cancel the work permit?

Or is such letter only needed for cancelling an extension of stay?

I am currently on a single entry Non Imm B visa, not an extension of stay (although I will try to apply for an extension of stay soon).

To clarify: If I don't get the extension of stay, or even "under consideration" stamp, I will have to cancel my current work permit, to then

apply for a new work permit, for the same company, so that I can the application approval letter from Dept. of Employment, which

I can then use to go obtain a new single entry Non Imm B visa. Hence my question.

Thanks!

To my question above ^^^ I would also add:

1) Can one cancel a work permit and then apply for a new work permit (for same company) on the same day?

2) When one has submitted the application for a new work permit, can one get the application approval letter right

then and there, or does one have to wait for it, and how long?

Thanks

15 hours ago, arminbkk said:

Since I might soon be in the situation where I have to cancel my work permit, to then apply for a completely new work permit,

for working at the same company , I would ask: do I need a employment termination letter from the company to cancel the work permit?

Or is such letter only needed for cancelling an extension of stay?

I am currently on a single entry Non Imm B visa, not an extension of stay (although I will try to apply for an extension of stay soon).

To clarify: If I don't get the extension of stay, or even "under consideration" stamp, I will have to cancel my current work permit, to then

apply for a new work permit, for the same company, so that I can the application approval letter from Dept. of Employment, which

I can then use to go obtain a new single entry Non Imm B visa. Hence my question.

Thanks!

You can cancel the work permit yourself by submitting  the work permit cancellation form. http://wp.doe.go.th/wp/images/form/wp_cancellation.pdf

I don't understand why you need to cancel your work permit to apply for a new non-b visa at an embassy or consulate. You can show your current work permit if you are still working for the same company.

17 minutes ago, arminbkk said:

To my question above ^^^ I would also add:

1) Can one cancel a work permit and then apply for a new work permit (for same company) on the same day?

2) When one has submitted the application for a new work permit, can one get the application approval letter right

then and there, or does one have to wait for it, and how long?

Thanks

Again why are you doing it that way.

You can use your work permit to apply for a new non-b visa.

Ubonjoe,

The reason I am doing it this way is: I'm in the situation where my "permission to stay" from single entry Non Imm B visa

expires on 18th September, while my 1-year work permit expires 11th October.

If I go to a Thai consulate next week, they will not issue me a new single entry Non Imm B visa,

because there will be only some 3 weeks left on my work permit.

I had the same situation last year, when I applied for such visa in September, while my work permit was valid

until mid-October. Because there were less than 90 days left on the work permit validity, they did

not want to grant me a single entry Non Imm B visa, which would have given 90 days upon entry.

So, I cannot get a new single entry Non Imm B visa now by showing my current work permit (as that expires 3 weeks later),

there is not enough time left on it.

Now, I know I can apply for "extension of stay" on my current visa, and I will try that, but I actually doubt I will

even get the "under consideration" stamp because: my company has not paid full salaries over the last

3 months, but only 50% over June, 50% over July and 100% over August.

The company documents that will have to be submitted along with the application for "extension of stay" will show this,

and, since I assume the IO will thoroughly check the documents, the IO will spot this and not accept the application.

My employer still wants to try it (and he is paying the fee and costs).

So, this then leave this the option, as advised by a supervisor at Dept. of Employment, to cancel the current work permit,

then apply for a new work permit and on that get a application approval letter, with which I can go to

a Thai consulate to apply for new single entry Non Imm B visa, again.

This is why ask if I can cancel the current work permit, then apply for new work permit, all on the same day (!!)

and if I can get the application approval letter also on the same day, or at least not later than

next Friday, so I have that letter and can go to Thai consulate, in Savannakhet, next week Monday.

Can I do as above?

:)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Can anybody tell me how the collection of work permit is supposed to be done in my situation where my employer submitted the application for new work permit (WP 3 form) while I was outside Thailand. I now have the new non imm B visa.

Does my employer (who submitted the application) have to go collect (with my passport) or do I have to go, or do we both go?

Does one have to make an appointment first?

Thanks.