Muslims Slam Allegations of Plot to Destroy Buddhism

webfact

I do not know if it makes sense to give in their right mind with the religious backworlds ever, - by the way of all religions -, but particularly the Islam become virulent. One has to look at the outcomes and results. Half the Islamic world is divided into an apocalyptic chaos of violence, terror and madness. If one needs more of it, or is it enough some day?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that Thailand's official religion should be declared as Buddhism. Frankly, I'm surprised this isn't already the case. Even the CIA World Factbook lists Buddhism as Thailand's state religion. The sooner this is done, the better for the country. Keeping this status quo going could be very dangerous for Thailand in the future, especially the south, which could split along ethnic and religious lines otherwise.

Making Buddhism the official religion of Thailand will make no difference to the situation in the south.

The point which most morons here are missing here is that the Buddhist organization is calling for Buddhism to be officially recognized as the national religion. At present, in theory all religions are recognized and given the freedom to practice and is surely the best policy in a country which has provinces which have Muslim majorities.

This Buddhist group is actually displaying an intolerance that could lead to the kind of movement we've seen in Myanmar and is part of the whole ultra-nationalist militaristic sentiment that some people are already saying is making life more difficult here in Thailand. If you only focus on the Muslim aspect of this you're missing a much bigger picture.

Quite true, or Sri Lanka. Whilst they are technically correct, the hard core Muslims around the world do want to convert, or kill the lot of us infidels, but this is just scaremongering to push their agenda for a Non Secular State. For what purpose you may ask.

Sick of the PC Brigade though. Shouting down those who do not agree with them by labelling them Bigots and Racists. Gets rather wearisome. Dan Pena reckon's PC is a manifestation of low self esteem. I tend to agree with him.

The Colonisation of Europe? Big mistake. The leaders have failed their people miserably. History will be their judge,

24th May, 2016, Top Australian Radio talkback host Alan Jones talks to Ayaan Hirsi Ali is a Dutch-American activist, author, and former politician of Somali origin. She is a leading opponent of female genital mutilation, and calls for a reformation of Islam. She is supportive of women's rights and is an atheist

https://s3.amazonaws.com/webstore.2gb.com/audio/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/201605/24-alan-jones-----ayaan-hirsi-ali.mp3

I have to laugh when some leftist moron who doesn't even know the meaning of words spins words like "racist" into new meanings when you criticize Islam. Islam is an ideology. It isn't a race. The other interesting thing about Islam is that is THE religion/ideology with more followers of ALL races and ethnic origins than any other on Earth. Millions of Europeans follow Islam (think Albanians/Kosovans/Bosnians and Tatars in Ukraine/Russia etc.), Asians, Africans and of course Arabs.

When we think of say Christianity, we rarely think of Asians as being Christian, though there are some, mainly hill tribes in Myanmar and Thailand, as well as most of the Philippines but for the most part, Christianity is considered to be a "European" or "white man's religion".

Hinduism is considered to be for people of South Asian origin. There are no white Hindus.

Buddhism is chiefly the domain of Asian people. A tiny number of westerners may adhere to Buddhism, but for the most part, Buddhists are Asians.

Yet we never hear criticism of these religions being shouted down with cries of "bigot!", "racist!" or "xenophobe!" when in fact, as I have just pointed out, if we're going to change the meaning of words it would be more accurate to label critics of Buddhism as racists because Buddhists are Asian.

I agree that Thailand's official religion should be declared as Buddhism. Frankly, I'm surprised this isn't already the case. Even the CIA World Factbook lists Buddhism as Thailand's state religion. The sooner this is done, the better for the country. Keeping this status quo going could be very dangerous for Thailand in the future, especially the south, which could split along ethnic and religious lines otherwise.

Making Buddhism the official religion of Thailand will make no difference to the situation in the south.

What makes you say that? Although I agree with you that it wouldn't be readily accepted.

What makes you say that? Although I agree with you that it wouldn't be readily accepted.

Your post implies that if Buddhism is made the official language of Thailand then that somehow will change the situation in the south, I assumed you are referring to the southern insurgents

I fail to see how that would be and ask you to explain

Only the beginning. Look at Europe.coffee1.gif

True, lot of irrational hate shown towards Muslims just because of their faith by bigots in europe. Good point.

After individuals who hold your own opinion have read and understand the Hadith, Sira, and Koran, they (and you) might have enough wisdom to accurately offer knowledgeable comments on the issue. But without that wisdom, you really don't know of what you speak.

"There is no official state religion in the Thai constitution, which guarantees religious freedom for all Thai citizens," - wiki

"There is no official state religion in the Thai constitution, which guarantees religious freedom for all Thai citizens," - wiki

Which one would you rather believe as an authorative source wikipedia or the CIA world Factbook. I think I'll take Tomtomtom's position and declare it to be CIA.

​Also, which constitution do you refer to? I hear they are drafting the country's 100,000th different version as we speak.

One observation over the last few months in Thailand that I have noticed is that the Muslim women here are dressing far diffrently than before.

Before a simple headscarf covering their hair, now far more wering Burka style clothing.

As a non religious person I don't like to see this, and why any woman would want to cover herself up is completely beyond me, especialy in the name of religion.

I've lived in Thailand for many years,in the south in a Muslim town to be precise.

When I first came,I never noticed any women wearing the Burka,but since 9/11 there does seems to be an ever increasing number that are. Still a small number but as I say increasing. Take a look at what has happened in Egypt in the last 50yrs. Then many of the women wore European style cloths,at least those that were educated. Now they too are more inclined to be attired in the Burka.

Which province is this? In your opinion, were there already a significant number of hijabs being worn by women, or was it more like pre 1980s Afghanistan and pre 1979 Iran where all the women went to university and wouldn't have looked out of place in America?

Only the beginning. Look at Europe.coffee1.gif

total <deleted>. the problems in the south happen to be FIRSTLY of inequality and less of religion. it's the way thing go, the majority is always right. here it's buddhists, in the west it's christians, in iraq, middle east, etc it's muslims. 555. people. religion. the farce continues.

I suppose every country in the world has to bend over backwards to accommodate these Muslims

Nope, you have just got to accept everyone has the right to their faith and it is the utmost of bigotry and intolerance to deny them this.

I apply this rule of thumb to all followers of all faiths.

except for the problems in deep south, which are based on inequality and ethnicity, and NOT really based on religion, Thailand is doing very well when it comes to religion and FREEDOM of religion. one of my best thai friends, buddhist, was born in Sognkla and most of his family is muslim. we can learn a lot from their tolerance and NON-radicalism. in fact when his brother visits him, believe it or not, he eats pork and drinks Leo's with us ... back home he stays halal :)

except for the problems in deep south, which are based on inequality and ethnicity, and NOT really based on religion, Thailand is doing very well when it comes to religion and FREEDOM of religion. one of my best thai friends, buddhist, was born in Sognkla and most of his family is muslim. we can learn a lot from their tolerance and NON-radicalism. in fact when his brother visits him, believe it or not, he eats pork and drinks Leo's with us ... back home he stays halal smile.png

Are you saying your friend converted from Islam to Buddhism? I'd bet he doesn't put that on a T-shirt when he goes south.

What's wrong with his brother, short of the testicular fortitude to do the same?

The Kingdom needn't declare Buddhists as the State religion. Just return sovereignty back to the Malay-Thai Muslims in the South that make up 99% of all muslims in the Kingdom. Buddhists become the State religion by default.

The fact is Thai Muslims in the deep South provinces only represent approx 20% of the Thai Muslim population.

The majority of posts in this topic, as usual, are leveraging the OP to bash all Muslims. The Buddhist nationalism call has already been rejected by Thai authorities. In any case such a request would require a fundamental change to the Thai Constitution and counter to the 20th century tradition of the highest office in Thailand.

A: you don't know anything about which I have knowledge of. "Humble"

B: the point of my post stands regardless. "open to the discussion"

So much love and tolerance... and anyone who disagree is a fascist, full of hate, bigot etc

So much love and tolerance... and anyone who disagree is a fascist, full of hate, bigot etc

If you are going to quote someone then have the courage to reference them.

Now as to your post.

A: the accusation was made that I know nothing about the teachings of the Koran. I'm not an expert but that statement is incorrect.

B: Disagree with me, no problems with that.

However calling for the approach that was taken in Burma towards the Rohingya (as one poster, not Connda, did), now that's a different matter.

Or are you in favour of that approach?

Edited by Bluespunk

I suppose every country in the world has to bend over backwards to accommodate these Muslims

Nope, you have just got to accept everyone has the right to their faith and it is the utmost of bigotry and intolerance to deny them this.

And all religions accept Islam seems to abide by this, a few years ago I read in Saudi how they had arrested a group of Filipinos for worshipping on a Sunday in an underground church.

except for the problems in deep south, which are based on inequality and ethnicity, and NOT really based on religion, Thailand is doing very well when it comes to religion and FREEDOM of religion. one of my best thai friends, buddhist, was born in Sognkla and most of his family is muslim. we can learn a lot from their tolerance and NON-radicalism. in fact when his brother visits him, believe it or not, he eats pork and drinks Leo's with us ... back home he stays halal smile.png

Are you saying your friend converted from Islam to Buddhism? I'd bet he doesn't put that on a T-shirt when he goes south.

What's wrong with his brother, short of the testicular fortitude to do the same?

Quite the opposite! The others CONVERTED to Islam. His brother married a muslim girl. Shiver shiver.

And all religions accept Islam seems to abide by this, a few years ago I read in Saudi how they had arrested a group of Filipinos for worshipping on a Sunday in an underground church.

Intolerance is present amongst the followers of all faiths.

Intolerance is present amongst the followers of all faiths.

Not all faiths have it made mandatory in their holy book.

Not sure about all faiths but I know the bible and the Torah both have highly prejudicial passages that are as far from peace, love and understanding as you can get.

The behaviour if Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs and Christians across the world towards other faiths suggest a large degree of prejudice that matches that of Muslim fundamentalists.

Islam will eventually conquer and destroy the world. Australia didn't learn from Europe and we now see riots and violence in our streets as cultures clash. I definately don't want my wife, daughters and future grand daughters living under sharia law where they can be abused and mutilated in the name of their cult leader. Taking civilisation back 2,000 years isn't the way to go.

Islam will eventually conquer and destroy the world. Australia didn't learn from Europe and we now see riots and violence in our streets as cultures clash. I definately don't want my wife, daughters and future grand daughters living under sharia law where they can be abused and mutilated in the name of their cult leader. Taking civilisation back 2,000 years isn't the way to go.

Okaaaaaayyyyy...

Edited by Bluespunk

Mods: Please remove this post if considered as off topic.

It would make a pleasant change if a post was actually on topic.

On the issue of Sharia Law, with relevance to the OP, Sharia Civil Law has been legally recognised & practiced in a number of Thai Provinces from the late 1940s. Sharia Criminal Law in Thailand is a complete non starter (read the latest version of the Constitution).

The recent street clashes in Oz have primarily been deliberately generated by the far right United Patriotic Front. Should you wish to rabbit on about legal pluralism might be a good idea to first read an example Oz government discussion paper.

https://aifs.gov.au/publications/family-matters/issue-84/legal-recognition-sharia-law

Racist post - and Quoted Reply - Removed

Forum Rule -

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Suspensions standing by for Violation of this Rule. Blanket statements on any subject are not only false. they are also Derogatory.

Now as to your post.

A: the accusation was made that I know nothing about the teachings of the Koran. I'm not an expert but that statement is incorrect.

However calling for the approach that was taken in Burma towards the Rohingya (as one poster, not Connda, did), now that's a different matter.

How courage has anything to do here? and anyway it was obvious, if I refer to someone tagging anyone who disagree as bigot, you immediately know who I'm talking about.

As for the Rohingya, I have lived few month in Myanmar, and I saw the BBC documentary on tv saying that they were living in very hard condition, but everyone in Myanmar is living in very hard condition, do their life matter more than the burmese?

I hope Thailand will stay a buddhist country, there is enough Muslim countries, I have lived also in Qatar and I'm from France, most Muslim I met were not tolerant, Islam in France is used as a banner, not really a religion, it's more a politic.

There is good people following islam but there is so much more who are making the life of non believer a hell.

It's a very long subject but I don't think you are open to any discussion and the more you are using the word bigot the more it sounds like a propaganda, and the more you sound like the fascist you are criticizing.

Now as to your post.

How courage has anything to do here? and anyway it was obvious, if I refer to someone tagging anyone who disagree as bigot, you immediately know who I'm talking about.

As for the Rohingya, I have lived few month in Myanmar, and I saw the BBC documentary on tv saying that they were living in very hard condition, but everyone in Myanmar is living in very hard condition, do their life matter more than the burmese?

I hope Thailand will stay a buddhist country, there is enough Muslim countries, I have lived also in Qatar and I'm from France, most Muslim I met were not tolerant, Islam in France is used as a banner, not really a religion, it's more a politic.

There is good people following islam but there is so much more who are making the life of non believer a hell.

It's a very long subject but I don't think you are open to any discussion and the more you are using the word bigot the more it sounds like a propaganda, and the more you sound like the fascist you are criticizing.

What has happened to the rohingya is a crime against humanity.

To justifyand support it is a terrible thing to do.

Equally to deny anyone the right to their faith of choice is wrong. No matter who is responsible..

Condemn all or none.

Edited by Bluespunk

Mods: Please remove this post if considered as off topic.

It would make a pleasant change if a post was actually on topic.

On the issue of Sharia Law, with relevance to the OP, Sharia Civil Law has been legally recognised & practiced in a number of Thai Provinces from the late 1940s. Sharia Criminal Law in Thailand is a complete non starter (read the latest version of the Constitution).

The recent street clashes in Oz have primarily been deliberately generated by the far right United Patriotic Front. Should you wish to rabbit on about legal pluralism might be a good idea to first read an example Oz government discussion paper.

https://aifs.gov.au/publications/family-matters/issue-84/legal-recognition-sharia-law

As a brother to 3 sisters and father to 3 daughters I vehemently oppose any legal system that doesn't recognise the equality of women. It is this basic tenet of islam, coupled with the teaching that any woman dressed "inappropriately" has low moral standards, that cause so many of the cultural clashes in Oz. And, surprise, surprise, why so many muslim men are jailed for rape and sexual assault.