Thai airline offers measly 2,000 baht compo for destroying passenger's luggage

Yet,, try shipping in personal items such as a repaired laptop,, showing receipts shipping it OUT of Thailand, receipt for repairs,,, fedex/Thai customs will RAPE you with import duties,, ask me how I know,,,

You obviously did not follow the correct procedure but hey, lets not let your ignorance get in the way of a good old thai bashing opportunity.

You mean besides asking FedEx themselves the proper procedure, and following that to a T?,,, I'll bash when a good bashing is appropriate,, and in most cases concerning Thai's taking ANY responsibility for anything their fault,, or extorting $ whenever possible,, that's 100%, as for defending them on EVERY count? You can carry on doing so from your keyboard,,, Don't let your ignorance to the DAILY reported facts,, sway you in any way

I was thinking more along the lines of going to customs and filling out/submitting/receiving the correct paperwork.

But hey, your ignorance is clearly a winner for you !!

Well,, never having done it,, and relying on the "professional" recommendation of the exact shipper I'd be using to return it,, ya, I made the mistake of trusting them,,, but of course that makes NOOOO DIFFERENCE here, when extortion is involved,, and Thai's can always claim,, as they ALWAYS DO, "not my fault",,, but of course, don't let your,"winning" keyboard arrogance, steer you from a good defending of all things Thai whenever you get a chance via a keyboard,, I mean, how can you not defend a people that can use the term, "Hill tribe", NO smoke detectors, and, "1st world country" corrupt police, corrupt monks, etc, etc All in the same paragraph when describing themselves?,,, Edited by Adeeos

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You obviously did not follow the correct procedure but hey, lets not let your ignorance get in the way of a good old thai bashing opportunity.

You mean besides asking FedEx themselves the proper procedure, and following that to a T?,,, I'll bash when a good bashing is appropriate,, and in most cases concerning Thai's taking ANY responsibility for anything their fault,, or extorting $ whenever possible,, that's 100%, as for defending them on EVERY count? You can carry on doing so from your keyboard,,, Don't let your ignorance to the DAILY reported facts,, sway you in any way

I was thinking more along the lines of going to customs and filling out/submitting/receiving the correct paperwork.

Well,, never having done it,, and relying on the "professional" recommendation of the exact shipper I'd be using to return it,, ya, I made the mistake of trusting them,,, but of course that makes NOOOO DIFFERENCE here, when extortion is involved,, and Thai's can always claim,, as they ALWAYS DO, "not my fault",,, but of course, don't let your,"winning" keyboard arrogance, steer you from a good defending of all things Thai whenever you get a chance via a keyboard,, I mean, how can you not defend a people that can use the term, "Hill tribe", NO smoke detectors, and, "1st world country" All in the same paragraph when describing themselves?,,,

If all that helps you sleep at night good for you.

Next time you want to export something for repair.... well there is a way to do it so that you do not suffer import duties upon its return.... up to you if you want to explore this option..... or have a rant cause of your ignorance.

Well,, never having done it,, and relying on the "professional" recommendation of the exact shipper I'd be using to return it,, ya, I made the mistake of trusting them,,, but of course that makes NOOOO DIFFERENCE here, when extortion is involved,, and Thai's can always claim,, as they ALWAYS DO, "not my fault",,, but of course, don't let your,"winning" keyboard arrogance, steer you from a good defending of all things Thai whenever you get a chance via a keyboard,, I mean, how can you not defend a people that can use the term, "Hill tribe", NO smoke detectors, and, "1st world country" All in the same paragraph when describing themselves?,,,

If all that helps you sleep at night good for you.

Next time you want to export something for repair.... well there is a way to do it so that you do not suffer import duties upon its return.... up to you if you want to explore this option..... or have a rant cause of your ignorance.

And of course you can now retire to bed, after properly defending all things Thai,,,

the empathy on TVF. the issue here is the airliner pays 2000THB for ruining the bag and content. if a designer suit was in it (same price as a laptop) and a 350€ shaver they would also have paid just 2000.... coffee1.gifbah.gif

the empathy on TVF. the issue here is the airliner pays 2000THB for ruining the bag and content. if a designer suit was in it (same price as a laptop) and a 350 shaver they would also have paid just 2000.... coffee1.gifbah.gif

Does the airline say they will cover 100% of the value of your checked luggage upon receipt of proof of value ?

I thought they offered a nominal value but if you want total coverage for damage and loss you should put the claim upon your travel insurance.

Edited by Don Mega

Aren't there international conventions on the amount of compensation? The Warsaw convention or some such that allows so much compensation per kg of checked baggage.

Imho the poster of the pictures should name and shame the airline.

Why would u check in your laptop !

I have checked in my laptop as it's a rather heavy device (HP Probook) (and I don't need it while in airport or on plane) and my handluggage is restricted to a certain weight. I see no problem. My 300£ trolley is made of solid plastic and locked.

the empathy on TVF. the issue here is the airliner pays 2000THB for ruining the bag and content. if a designer suit was in it (same price as a laptop) and a 350 shaver they would also have paid just 2000.... coffee1.gifbah.gif

Does the airline say they will cover 100% of the value of your checked luggage upon receipt of proof of value ?

I thought they offered a nominal value but if you want total coverage for damage and loss you should put the claim upon your travel insurance.

I'm nowhere saying they pay the actual content but a lousy 50€ for damaging a bag and content seems low IMO. of course we don't know the name of the airliner and customer protection in LOS is non-existent....................

Did she buy insurance? If not, carrier's liability limitation according to the Warsaw Convention applies, as for all IATA airlines.

Warsaw Convention only applies to International flights.

This was domestic, so compensation need only be what's required under Thai law.

Even with the convention, compensation is really to cover clothes and stuff. It wouldn't come close to covering a laptop.

Checking in anything that contains a Lithium battery is not allowed. There are very explicit signs telling this in just every airport nowadays and I've been reminded this every time by the check-in staff. Therefore I feel (no, really I don't because I'm an Apple-basher too whistling.gif ) for the said passenger but putting this laptop in the checked baggage was something not only silly but also dangerous.

If one isn't able to provide invoices for item of value declared as contained in a destroyed or lost baggage, one gets only a compensation based on the checked-in weight. That was reminded to me when my baggage was lost on a Thai Airways flight from Paris to Bangkok quite a few years ago. I had some expensive clothing in there (suit) and a few items of significant value, but of course invoices were lost long ago. So I received a ridiculous amount of money and not even a commercial gesture for a next flight. Nothing, nada.

Edited by Lannig

The airline is trying to rip you off, Thailand is a signatory to the Warsaw and Montreal convention which stipulates compensation for various problems with the airlines and postal authority and is such as baggage damage and loss

Article 22 - Limits of liability in relation to delay, baggage and cargo

1. In the case of damage caused by delay as specified in Article 19 in the carriage of persons, the liability of the carrier for each passenger is limited to 4,150 Special Drawing Rights.

2. In the carriage of baggage, the liability of the carrier in the case of destruction, loss, damage or delay is limited to 1,000 Special Drawing Rights for each passenger unless the passenger has made, at the time when the checked baggage was handed over to the carrier, a special declaration of interest in delivery at destination and has paid a supplementary sum if the case so requires. In that case the carrier will be liable to pay a sum not exceeding the declared sum, unless it proves that the sum is greater than the passenger's actual interest in delivery at destination.

3. In the carriage of cargo, the liability of the carrier in the case of destruction, loss, damage or delay is limited to a sum of 17 Special Drawing Rights per kilogram, unless the consignor has made, at the time when the package was handed over to the carrier, a special declaration of interest in delivery at destination and has paid a supplementary sum if the case so requires. In that case the carrier will be liable to pay a sum not exceeding the declared sum, unless it proves that the sum is greater than the consignor's actual interest in delivery at destination.

4. In the case of destruction, loss, damage or delay of part of the cargo, or of any object contained therein, the weight to be taken into consideration in determining the amount to which the carrier's liability is limited shall be only the total weight of the package or packages concerned. Nevertheless, when the destruction, loss, damage or delay of a part of the cargo, or of an object contained therein, affects the value of other packages covered by the same air waybill, or the same receipt or, if they were not issued, by the same record preserved by the other means referred to in paragraph 2 of Article 4, the total weight of such package or packages shall also be taken into consideration in determining the limit of liability.

5. The foregoing provisions of paragraphs 1 and 2 of this Article shall not apply if it is proved that the damage resulted from an act or omission of the carrier, its servants or agents, done with intent to cause damage or recklessly and with knowledge that damage would probably result; provided that, in the case of such act or omission of a servant or agent, it is also proved that such servant or agent was acting within the scope of its employment.

6. The limits prescribed in Article 21 and in this Article shall not prevent the court from awarding, in accordance with its own law, in addition, the whole or part of the court costs and of the other expenses of the litigation incurred by the plaintiff, including interest. The foregoing provision shall not apply if the amount of the damages awarded, excluding court costs and other expenses of the litigation, does not exceed the sum which the carrier has offered in writing to the plaintiff within a period of six months from the date of the occurrence causing the damage, or before the commencement of the action, if that is later.

Loss or damage of baggage is covered by the Warsaw Convention and amended in the Montreal Convention

What's the value of a 'special drawings right' in THB then?

One special drawings right is roughly 50 baht.

Special drawings right are like the old pre Euro ECU. It's used for budgeting purposes by institutions like the UN and World Bank, and it's value is derived from a basket of currencies.

Edited by bkk_mike

Many moons ago i bought a very expensive Rucksack to use whilst travelling the world, it was the latest out at the time and in excess of £350.......

After a flight from Khon Kaen to Bangkok it arrived in the baggage hall in pieces.....

I was told by a lovely young lady supervisor ' Sollee Misterrr ' 'But you have insurance yeah?' ......

She offered me a measly 400 baht for a new Rucksack, when i told them how much it cost she started getting upset and teary eyed, i said ' But it cost over £350 in English money, that's 17,500 baht in Thai money'. the lovely young lady looked down to the floor and said ' Misterrr, im velly velly sollee about your bag, buts that's more than i earn a month, if there was anything i could do to help you i would '.

After that it didn't seem to matter, i left the lady with a couple of hundred baht tip and as a young man travelling around the world i learnt a very valuable lesson i have kept with me to this day...........

From the ThaiSmile baggage policy linked above:

Passengers are strongly advised not to Check-In such items as baggage. If they are checked in as baggage, passengers agree they send for carriage of such items at their own risk. Such items include money, jewelry, precious metals, silverware, electronic devices, computers, cameras, video equipment, negotiable papers, securities or other valuables, passports and other identification documents, title deeds, artifacts, manuscripts and the like.

Checking in anything that contains a Lithium battery is not allowed. There are very explicit signs telling this in just every airport nowadays and I've been reminded this every time by the check-in staff. Therefore I feel (no, really I don't because I'm an Apple-basher too whistling.gif ) for the said passenger but putting this laptop in the checked baggage was something not only silly but also dangerous.

The lappy had a Lithium battery so thats the reason for the damage to the baggage ?

Edited by Don Mega

i had a new very expensive suitcase ripped in 2 almost....Air Asia,,,,,my suitcase was covered in sticky plastic and clothes were were hanging out of the sides...flight Phuket To Udon Thani.....i went to the air asia office i got hold of the manager....i asked what had happened....he said Don Maung had a old system and these things happen....i said i have come from Phuket not bkk...he said again i am sorry bkk has a bad record with ripped bags...i said listen to me i came from Phuket not Bkk...he said oh Phuket the same as bkk old system...i said next time i see Tony Fernandes in London i will giving him your name...he said whos Tony Fernandes..at this point i said give me something to compesate my new expensive case....,he said ok i will give you 700 baht.......

Many moons ago i bought a very expensive Rucksack to use whilst travelling the world, it was the latest out at the time and in excess of £350.......

After a flight from Khon Kaen to Bangkok it arrived in the baggage hall in pieces.....

I was told by a lovely young lady supervisor ' Sollee Misterrr ' 'But you have insurance yeah?' ......

She offered me a measly 400 baht for a new Rucksack, when i told them how much it cost she started getting upset and teary eyed, i said ' But it cost over £350 in English money, that's 17,500 baht in Thai money'. the lovely young lady looked down to the floor and said ' Misterrr, im velly velly sollee about your bag, buts that's more than i earn a month, if there was anything i could do to help you i would '.

After that it didn't seem to matter, i left the lady with a couple of hundred baht tip and as a young man travelling around the world i learnt a very valuable lesson i have kept with me to this day...........

and lemme guess: you married her, got 17 kids and live together in a valley with a stream with fish surrounded by trees and birds and bees and sunshine biggrin.pngclap2.gif

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I have checked in my laptop as it's a rather heavy device (HP Probook) (and I don't need it while in airport or on plane) and my handluggage is restricted to a certain weight. I see no problem. My 300£ trolley is made of solid plastic and locked.

notebooks are allowed as additional carry on item & not part of carry on bag weight unless it in main carry on bag.

Almost all airlines have exclusions on electronics in check-in baggage & normally highlighted for expensive notebooks.

if you see how your check-in bags are handled you would pack way smarter & have insurance if have expensive luggage.

indeed compensation was awful & obviously baggage been in incident of some sort during journey but owners packing logic takes some blame by looks of things .

i had a new very expensive suitcase ripped in 2 almost....Air Asia,,,,,my suitcase was covered in sticky plastic and clothes were were hanging out of the sides...flight Phuket To Udon Thani.....i went to the air asia office i got hold of the manager....i asked what had happened....he said Don Maung had a old system and these things happen....i said i have come from Phuket not bkk...he said again i am sorry bkk has a bad record with ripped bags...i said listen to me i came from Phuket not Bkk...he said oh Phuket the same as bkk old system...i said next time i see Tony Fernandes in London i will giving him your name...he said whos Tony Fernandes..at this point i said give me something to compesate my new expensive case....,he said ok i will give you 700 baht.......

You meet up with Tony Fernandes often or ?

notebooks are allowed as additional carry on item & not part of carry on bag weight unless it in main carry on bag.

Almost all airlines have exclusions on electronics in check-in baggage & normally highlighted for expensive notebooks.

if you see how your check-in bags are handled you would pack way smarter & have insurance if have expensive luggage.

indeed compensation was awful & obviously baggage been in incident of some sort during journey but owners packing logic takes some blame by looks of things .

ok, thx for update, but sometimes i don't want to carry my NB with me, a deliberate choice as he's rather heavy. when - not always but when - put it in checked in baggage, it is well protected (inside its foam bag and stuck between layers of clothes) and i'm not worried. i have a backup of all important files/jobs on memory stick which i carry on myself.

You meet up with Tony Fernandes often or ?

Of course he does, hence he's called DON MEGA !!!! clap2.gifcheesy.gif

This is absurd, only a few airlines will compensate for laptops and other values that are in check in luggage. I did the same mistake and packed my camera and lenses in my check in with American Airlines. My luggage and camera was damaged and they paid to fix the luggage but told me that they don't pay for the camera it should have been in my hand luggage. When I filed with better business bureau I got the same answer. A few years back my nephew came to visit me and flew Norwegian and had some luggage damaged and they did not pay anything. At least this Thai airline offer to pay something, there is travel insurance for this kind of events if you want to be on the safe side and also learn to carry laptops and other value items.