How is Phnon Penh for a marriage visa?

I'm looking for some up-to-date info on obtaining/renewing my Non Imm O marriage visa. I usually go to Savannakhet as I live 90 minutes away, but the place can get boring after a few visits and I was thinking about going to Phnom Penh instead. Would my visa be as easy to obtain from there or are they 'difficult'?

That's what I'm after. Wonderful isn't it - doesn't matter what the law states the requirements are and that you satisfy them, they can still refuse to issue. I wonder if any other country operates in such a random manner.

Anyone know how KL is? Do they operate outside the law as well? I already know that Vientiane does so that isn't an option.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

You can try KL but they do not enjoy a "helpful" reputation.

If you want a ME "O" visa based on marriage without having to show finances then Savannakhet is, I believe, the only option.

I am not sure which "law" you are talking about but perhaps you can post a link which will inform me.

Do you believe the UK, for example, operates the same visa application process in Pakistan as it does in Australia ?

If you want a ME "O" visa based on marriage without having to show finances then Savannakhet is, I believe, the only option.

I am not sure which "law" you are talking about but perhaps you can post a link which will inform me.

Do you believe the UK, for example, operates the same visa application process in Pakistan as it does in Australia ?

I imagine there are laws governing the issue of visas. If you satisfy the requirement of the law then the visa should be issued. Simple enough, surely. I really don't care whether the UK has a different process or not. I'm asking about Thailand.

I imagine there are laws governing the issue of visas. If you satisfy the requirement of the law then the visa should be issued. Simple enough, surely. I really don't care whether the UK has a different process or not. I'm asking about Thailand.

OK !

In which case I suggest you go to PP or KL, insist on the "law" being adhered to and make sure you get what you want/demand.

Please inform the forum of your success as many will possibly benefit from your knowledge of the "law" .

I'm not looking for sarcasm. I have no intention of going to those places and demanding they adhere to the law. I'm looking for advice on whether PP or KL would issue the visa if the rules were satisfied. So far it seems not as they ignore what the law says.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

I'm not looking for sarcasm. I have no intention of going to those places and demanding they adhere to the law. I'm looking for advice on whether PP or KL would issue the visa if the rules were satisfied. So far it seems not as they ignore what the law says.

I don't want to sound like johnatong, but again, what law are you talking about?

Many embassies or consulates do not / refuse to issue multiple non immigrant visas. You think it's their own choice or they are being told to do so from up above?

Edited by lkv

One is ALWAYS ultimately subject to the discretion of the immigration officers one is currently dealing with, no matter what country you're talking about: UK, US, Thailand, wherever. It's not simply a matter of meeting requirements described by some law. It never has been. Even if you have a visa in hand, immigration officers at an entry point can still refuse you entry to the country in question. This is the way it works, worldwide. And it certainly applies to the issuance of a visa, perhaps even moreso than just granting entry. Most countries will explicitly tell you so on their immigration website.

Edited by Saastrajaa
  • Like 1

So if I understand this correctly, there are no laws laid down by Parliament, anywhere, governing visa rules, and any officer can decide whether to accept an application or issue a visa at a whim, at their own discretion. Presumably governments require a visa for a reason, but satisfying the requirements of that government can be over-ruled by individuals. You can provide all the info and documents that are asked for but a visa can still be refused by any individual. On what basis? One can say yes but another no. Even different offices - Savannakhet says yes but KL and PP and Vientiane all say no. On what basis, if you provide the same info to all? One office says yes, another no, with the same info and documentation. That makes no sense at all.

• Like 1

So if I understand this correctly, there are no laws laid down by Parliament, anywhere, governing visa rules, and any officer can decide whether to accept an application or issue a visa at a whim, at their own discretion. Presumably governments require a visa for a reason, but satisfying the requirements of that government can be over-ruled by individuals. You can provide all the info and documents that are asked for but a visa can still be refused by any individual. On what basis? One can say yes but another no. Even different offices - Savannakhet says yes but KL and PP and Vientiane all say no. On what basis, if you provide the same info to all? One office says yes, another no, with the same info and documentation. That makes no sense at all.

The only "law" is the immigration act of 1979 which sets the baseline for visas, extensions and etc. There are several ministerial regulations that define what the immigration act allows. Then there are police orders, policies and procedures and etc that set the rules. Somewhere within all those things is a rule that allows each embassy and consulate to decide which type of visa they will issue and the requirements for them.

As said PP and Kl do not do do multiple entry visas. Kl wants to see 400K baht in the bank to do a single entry non-o visa.

Latest reports are that Penang wants to see 400k baht to issue a multiple entry non-o.

• Like 2

It is what it is - worldwide.

Don't spout "law" when it is the individual offices interpretation of the Rules and Regulations which are promulgated by authority of the Act which count, down to discretion of the individual Immigration Officer you are facing.

It's the same in every country.

Acts set the framework for the Ministry involved to set the Regulations, Rules and Procedures.

Every Country gives that IO you are facing this discretion.

Thailand gets more complicated as Visas are issued under the authority of the Ministry of the Interior but Immigration comes under the authority of the Police Ministry.

So you get a situation where the left hand doesn't always know what the right hand is doing.

I have personally seen an IO refuse to deal with a drunk bogan at Phuket airport, walk away leaving the bogan standing there (and the queue) and opened a new counter!

Edited by Evilbaz

That's what I'm after. Wonderful isn't it - doesn't matter what the law states the requirements are and that you satisfy them, they can still refuse to issue. I wonder if any other country operates in such a random manner.

Anyone know how KL is? Do they operate outside the law as well? I already know that Vientiane does so that isn't an option.

Phnom Pehn will ONLY give a single non O or Non B visa and tell you , you need do the extensions,

NO 1 year non immigrant visa.

Go to Penang

Phnom Pehn will ONLY give a single non O or Non B visa and tell you , you need do the extensions,

NO 1 year non immigrant visa.

Go to Penang

I do not think Penang will meet the OP's requirements. He is looking for somewhere that "obeys the law" and issues a muti-entry "O" visa without the need to demonstrate finances . Penang is now reported to be wanting evidence of 400K Bht in the bank before they will issue the visa the OP wants.

I guess you'll just have to put up with a "boring" overnighter in savannaket (where they don't obey "the law" by asking you to show 400K!)

Some people ...

The ones not obeying the rules are the ones that ask for financial proof. None is required to get a non-o visa according the rules. Only a one year extension of stay requires financial proof.

• Like 1

The laws and rules regarding the issuance of visas are basically the same for all Thai embassies and consulates.

One general general rule is that a visa applicant must not use his visa for a purpose other than the purpose for which he is granted the visa. This means that a consulate should refuse a visa when there is suspicion that the applicant would use it for a purpose other than the intended purpose. You then get the following situation:

1. Some consuls are more suspicious that others.

2. Some consuls are more accommodating than others and issue a visa even when they suspect that the applicant will use it for a purpose other than the intended purpose.

From your own understanding, what is the purpose of the multiple-entry non-O visa for which you wish to apply?

I removed an off-topic post and the replies to it.

This topic is about what the OP calls a marriage visa, not about what the off-topic poster calls a guardian visa.