Thai Employment Dept bars labor contractor companies from importing migrant workers

webfact

Employment Department bars labor contractor companies from importing migrant workers

BANGKOK, 30 May 2016 (NNT) - The Department of Employment will be prohibiting the business operations of some labor contractors operating without a permit, in an effort to help prevent human trafficking.

Employment Department Director General Arak Prommanee disclosed that the Department of Employment discovered many labor contractor companies that did not operate their business with legal permission to import migrant workers in various provinces, causing a high risk of forced labor and debt bondage. Some enterprises were not complying with the Kingdom's labor protection law.

Neighboring countries such as Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos have asked Thailand to reorganize their citizens who are working as migrant workers. This request prompted the Department of Employment to prohibit labor contractors operating without permits.

Issues such as forced labor and debt bondage are acts that could lead to, or in severe conditions, be classified as human trafficking.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-05-30 footer_n.gif

BANGKOK, 30 May 2016 (NNT) - The Department of Employment will be prohibiting the business operations of some labor contractors operating without a permit, in an effort to help prevent human trafficking.

OK. I'll bite. Why "some"?

Hell in this Isaan Village it's damn near impossible to hire anyone for anything. I've been told "they don't want to work for an "engineer." lol I presume this mean that I am a DIY guy, and also was in construction for a distant career length of time.

Hell in this Isaan Village it's damn near impossible to hire anyone for anything. I've been told "they don't want to work for an "engineer." lol I presume this mean that I am a DIY guy, and also was in construction for a distant career length of time.

"they don't want to work for an "engineer.", it is just another excuse to save face, what they really mean is that they don't want to work period....

been in similar situations like you. nobody in the village want to work, only lay in hammock watching rice grow....

BUT, they are also the first ones to scream and complain that foreigners are taking their jobs when i went and got some Burmese workers.....

Village people, that is all i can say facepalm.gif

Does anyone have a SWAG on foreign workers from Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia?

Total number of foreign workers

Total number of "legal" foreign workers

Total number of foreign worker dependents (not working)

(I'm specifically excluding foreigners with work permits and visas.)

I've seen some estimates with as many as 3 million, and that fewer than 20% of those may be "legal".

I see, what I assume are, legal foreign workers in large, commercial retail businesses (pumping gas at a brand name station, for example).

Then I see day laborers, hospitality who may be legal or semi-legal.

"they don't want to work for an "engineer.", it is just another excuse to save face, what they really mean is that they don't want to work period....

been in similar situations like you. nobody in the village want to work, only lay in hammock watching rice grow....

BUT, they are also the first ones to scream and complain that foreigners are taking their jobs when i went and got some Burmese workers.....

Village people, that is all i can say facepalm.gif

YMCA - great song! Also works if your replace YMCA with NCPO.

Edited by tuanku

Does anyone have a SWAG on foreign workers from Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia?

Total number of foreign workers

Total number of "legal" foreign workers

Total number of foreign worker dependents (not working)

(I'm specifically excluding foreigners with work permits and visas.)

I've seen some estimates with as many as 3 million, and that fewer than 20% of those may be "legal".

I see, what I assume are, legal foreign workers in large, commercial retail businesses (pumping gas at a brand name station, for example).

Then I see day laborers, hospitality who may be legal or semi-legal.

Also look for shanty towns of tin huts around any big construction project and people crowded like sardines into the back of a pick-up or lorry so tightly they all have to stand up. These will almost certainly not be Thais.

"Employment Department Director General Arak Prommanee disclosed that the Department of Employment discovered many labor contractor companies that did not operate their business with legal permission to import migrant workers in various provinces, causing a high risk of forced labor and debt bondage. Some enterprises were not complying with the Kingdom's labor protection law."

So why are they not closed on the day it's discovered they don't have permission and are not complying with Thai labor laws?

Wonder how many big fish have connections into this department which has a long-term very scaly track record of allowing hundreds of ruthless unregistered 'job' companies to operate and rip off tens of thousand of Thai with false job offers, over many decades.

I've often wondered how many of the ruthless scam operators have ever been prosecuted and jailed / punished and how many scammed job seekers have had their hard earned money (often borrowed from loan sharks) returned?