Is it "wrong" to live in Pattaya and not be interested in Thai culture?

Jingthing

Humour me then.

You keep harping on about all these missed opportunities but give little to no additional details what they are...... for those that dont speak Thai or have a Thai wife.

Help the children of parents who have died of AIDS. Find a Thai orphanage and ask if there is anything they need that you can help with. Read the works of Sunthon Phu to old people in a nursing home. Learn how to make the "boss’s food."

Edited by Scotwight

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Humour me then.

You keep harping on about all these missed opportunities but give little to no additional details what they are...... for those that dont speak Thai or have a Thai wife.

Help the children of parents who have died of AIDS. Find a Thai orphanage and ask if there is anything they need that you can help with. Read the works of Sunthon Phu to old people in a nursing home. Learn how to make the "bosss food."

Ughhh. ok then.

If its ok to live here in the bubble, can i ask "why" live here at all. We have established its not for the culture. It cant be cheaper than home if you live on western food. Pay for english tv channels etc. You can find a hot western country.

Seriously, why live here ?

Family & work. And the fact that I can enjoy western comforts.

If its ok to live here in the bubble, can i ask "why" live here at all. We have established its not for the culture. It cant be cheaper than home if you live on western food. Pay for english tv channels etc. You can find a hot western country.

your ignorance has obviously no boundaries my good man gigglem.gif

-we (wife, me and our dogs) don't live in a bubble, we live in our home located in a small gated community populated nearly exclusively by Farangs with Thai partners. to the best of my knowledge we are presently the only non-Thai couple.

-it is correct that we did not select to live in Thailand for its culture, its sh*tty climate or its 3rd world infrastrucure.

-instead of living in our home country Germany we selected Thailand to avoid 46.4% income tax on our worldwide income plus an additional 19% value added tax levied on all our expenses.

do i have to explain why living in Thailand is cheaper for us or are the two tax percentages mentioned self-explanatory?

let me know whether you understood the tax implications. if not i will explain and list at least another dozen valid reasons "why Thailand and not Germany".

Thank you for your straight forward answer, I can appreciate the Taxation rates as Australia is similar.

I would question that you are effectively avoiding a 19% VAT, given that Thailand has a 7% VAT (10% in October) , and any imported western food or products are often 20% (some things 50%) more expensive than at home.

I saw in another post, mention of you being godfather to some Thai children. That says to me that you are involving yourself in Thai culture etc. The original post was about people living here and having nothing to do with Thailand.

What are peoples views when the situation is reversed, IE: In your home country when ethnic groups live in their own ethnic and cultural bubble, don't learn the language, Don't eat the food, don't respect the customs and predominate religion. Only interact with there own kind etc. I presume all the posters that think living here in the western bubble is fine, would not have a problem, in fact encourage it at home.

I don't think poor immigrants can be easily compared to wealthy jetsetters.

I certainly have no intention of ever be coming a Thai citizen, and suspect you have zero chance.

If I did decide to learn another language, it would be one of worldwide use spoken by a range of cultured and sophisticated people.

In Laos at the moment, horrible place, can't wait to escape. Makes Thailand seem civilized in comparison.

Why would you go to college if you didn't want a degree?

A lot of us went to college to find wealthy and educated husbands. And it filled in that awkward gap between leaving school and starting a family.

Edited by MissAndry

your ignorance has obviously no boundaries my good man gigglem.gif

-we (wife, me and our dogs) don't live in a bubble, we live in our home located in a small gated community populated nearly exclusively by Farangs with Thai partners. to the best of my knowledge we are presently the only non-Thai couple.

-it is correct that we did not select to live in Thailand for its culture, its sh*tty climate or its 3rd world infrastrucure.

-instead of living in our home country Germany we selected Thailand to avoid 46.4% income tax on our worldwide income plus an additional 19% value added tax levied on all our expenses.

do i have to explain why living in Thailand is cheaper for us or are the two tax percentages mentioned self-explanatory?

let me know whether you understood the tax implications. if not i will explain and list at least another dozen valid reasons "why Thailand and not Germany".

Thank you for your straight forward answer, I can appreciate the Taxation rates as Australia is similar.

I would question that you are effectively avoiding a 19% VAT, given that Thailand has a 7% VAT (10% in October) , and any imported western food or products are often 20% (some things 50%) more expensive than at home.

I saw in another post, mention of you being godfather to some Thai children. That says to me that you are involving yourself in Thai culture etc. The original post was about people living here and having nothing to do with Thailand.

let's get something straight. there is a big difference between "not interested in Thai culture" (headline of the opening post) and "nothing to do with Thailand".

that we sponsor two Thai children is based on our own culture and has nothing to do with Thai culture.

you are correct that some imported food we buy is much more expensive than in our home country. some things are not 20 or 50% but -e.g. a good wine- several hundred percent more expensive. however this fact is irrelevant because our total expenses for food and drinks are miniscule compared to other luxury expenses which we couldn't afford anywhere in "developed" continental Europe where all over fancy taxes are levied.

LOL. Some people came to Thailand thinking they were going to enjoy the culture and Thai people - then changed their minds after discovering the true nature of the beast... but there were enough other advantages to keep them here - such as skipping taxes. The best laid plans of mice and men...

Others are procrastinating about exiting, but had invested a fair bit and need more time to sort things out...

Other's are exiting. I met a guy today who has lived here for 30 years - speaks fluent Thai. He's thinking about getting out - the place is not like it used to be. It's becoming more hostile toward foreigners.

Yet others married and made families, so don't have the luxury of just packing up and leaving... Some of these will pretend they really like the place and live in denial.

Some on their way out will have spent (wasted) a lot of time studying a language they will likely never use again...

There's all sorts of people in this world mate - "horses for courses".

So? Who cares. My point was living here and not learning about the Thai culture is missing a big opportunity. Many people don't go to college that have the chance. Same thing. Missing a big opportunity. Up to you. You can learn new things or stay in a security bubble and stay the same. I've heard the same leaving stuff for 10 years.

I've discovered the true nature of the Thai culture and decided to spend the rest of my life here because it is better than the culture I left. I'm happy here and you are not. What is the solution?

Sure, bury your head deep in the sand and pretend you're happy. Your never ending debates here until after midnight everyday lead one to suspect you're not as happy as you think you are. It's like you're trying to convince the world your happy and successful. Sorry mate, I don't buy it.

You post negative information like the above about Thailand on a daily basis trying to convince people about the bad aspects of Thailand and I don't. I and my friends are involved with Thailand and helping Thai people on a daily basis. I don't think you are.

I have a Thai wife and family and you don't.

Check my posting times and you will see you are in error.

You tried to start a rumor that Thai people won't help anyone learn Thai. Someone has to counter your misinformation since the powers that be have not seen fit to do so.

Why don't you go someplace where you are happy and involved with the culture and people?

Sometimes circumstances don't permit one to live where they want and you make the best of a bad situation.

LOL> I gave you an example of a person who attempted to speak Thai who was met with hostility and you think I'm starting rumours? What it did do was offer an example to counter your position - You didn't appreciate that and starting calling BS... but now it's a rumour.

You accept nothing which is counter to your position.

PS. Sorry, my mistake... you last posted at 23:04, so you ARE getting to bed before midnight. Good boy!biggrin.png

Edited by tropo

Why would you go to college if you didn't want a degree?

A lot of us went to college to find wealthy and educated husbands. And it filled in that awkward gap between leaving school and starting a family.

Just to be clear you have quoted part of a post of mine which was in parentheses as that comment was made by another poster (who cannot seem to accept any view but his own).........but thanks for the extra refutation thumbsup.gif

your getting caught up in the 'big brother' type stuff. its much worse in thailand then many other places. i think because it has a history of young backpackers?? not sure exactly why.

do some traveling to other areas like south america or less popular countries. you may also want to stay off forums, youtube, advice sites and hang around people who are always giving advice for awhile.

its completely ok to not integrate in and remain who you are as you travel the world.

in the majority of cases people dont care what you do as long as you dont cause them too many problems.

You post negative information like the above about Thailand on a daily basis trying to convince people about the bad aspects of Thailand and I don't. I and my friends are involved with Thailand and helping Thai people on a daily basis. I don't think you are.

You tried to start a rumor that Thai people won't help anyone learn Thai. Someone has to counter your misinformation since the powers that be have not seen fit to do so.

Why don't you go someplace where you are happy and involved with the culture and people?

Sometimes circumstances don't permit one to live where they want and you make the best of a bad situation.

LOL> I gave you an example of a person who attempted to speak Thai who was met with hostility and you think I'm starting rumours? What it did do was offer an example to counter your position - You didn't appreciate that and starting calling BS... but now it's a rumour.

PS. Sorry, my mistake... you last posted at 23:04, so you ARE getting to bed before midnight. Good boy!biggrin.png

I think the reason the person was met with hostility was not because she was trying to speak Thai or be interested in Thai culture. I've never seen an instance of being interested in any aspect of Thai culture that was met with negativity.

Thais love their culture and are always pleased when a foreigner takes an interest in it.

The more you know about Thai culture the less chance you take of offending Thai people.

"we (wife, me and our dogs) don't live in a bubble, we live in our home located in a small gated community populated nearly exclusively by Farangs with Thai partners"

That's the definition of "living in a bubble" FULL STOP.

bubble or not... we live very comfortably. porque podemos! PERIOD tongue.png

I think the reason the person was met with hostility was not because she was trying to speak Thai or be interested in Thai culture. I've never seen an instance of being interested in any aspect of Thai culture that was met with negativity.

Thais love their culture and are always pleased when a foreigner takes an interest in it.

The more you know about Thai culture the less chance you take of offending Thai people.

Are you serious - you haven't seen something, therefore it doesn't exist?

There was already a logical explanation given, but you ignored it.

You're married to a Thai and have made a family here... you're buried so deep in Thai culture you can't possibly see anything objectively. It would be like asking a Thai person to give an objective assessment of Thai people and culture. Even if you don't like Thais and their culture, it's too late - you made your bed.

If it's any consolation to you, if I had made the choice to marry a Thai and make a family, I'd probably be at least as fluent as you are in Thai if not better.biggrin.png .. and I could have been banging the same gong.

I'm happy I didn't and made the best choice. You called that missed opportunity, I don't.

Edited by tropo

You're married to a Thai and have made a family here... you're buried so deep in Thai culture you can't possibly see anything objectively. It would be like asking a Thai person to give an objective assessment of Thai people and culture. Even if you don't like Thais and their culture, it's too late - you made your bed.

If it's any consolation to you, if I had made the choice to marry a Thai and make a family, I'd probably be at least as fluent as you are in Thai if not better.biggrin.png .. and I could have been banging the same gong.

I'm happy I didn't and made the best choice. You called that missed opportunity, I don't.

Many years ago I went to college in Thailand and one of the first things I learned from the instructor was Thai people are more than happy to help you with anything that relates to you learning about Thai culture. It is not just what I have personally witnessed it is common knowledge for anyone in Thailand except you. 60 million to 1.

How do you know you made the best choice? Because you haven't experienced happiness with a Thai wife it doesn't exist?

Seems a bit odd to me to bring a woman from another culture to live in Thailand. Carrying coals to Newcastle springs to mind.

One only has to read the NGO blogs to discover women from other cultures usually don't understand nor like Thai culture. There is the exception but a quick look at expat gender quantity will confirm a very male bias to settling in Thailand. The culture is designed for me. What is the posting ratio on Thai Visa? 10 to 1 males?

I've advised my daughters not to visit here as it's not a female friendly culture. When they come I meet them in Singapore.

I don't think it's a child friendly culture. It's a guy culture. This isn't news to anyone is it?

Edited by Scotwight

I think we can all agree that if you're not Thai at heart you will get bored of the Thai culture after a while.

Why would you think that? I'm bored with the constant negativity of Western posters but not the Thai culture.

Edited by Scotwight

Many years ago I went to college in Thailand and one of the first things I learned from the instructor was Thai people are more than happy to help you with anything that relates to you learning about Thai culture. It is not just what I have personally witnessed it is common knowledge for anyone in Thailand except you. 60 million to 1.

How do you know you made the best choice? Because you haven't experienced happiness with a Thai wife it doesn't exist?

Seems a bit odd to me to bring a woman from another culture to live in Thailand. Carrying coals to Newcastle springs to mind.

One only has to read the NGO blogs to discover women from other cultures usually don't understand nor like Thai culture. There is the exception but a quick look at expat gender quantity will confirm a very male bias to settling in Thailand. The culture is designed for me. What is the posting ratio on Thai Visa? 10 to 1 males?

I've advised my daughters not to visit here as it's not a female friendly culture. When they come I meet them in Singapore.

I don't think it's a child friendly culture. It's a guy culture. This isn't news to anyone is it?

As always you make silly assumption to fit in with your theories.

I came over here with my Filipino partner. We'd already been together for years in the Philippines. We both were new here and both of a different culture. I was not bringing "coal to Newcastle"... It was gold.biggrin.png 10- years here and we are still solid, with a much better understanding of Thai culture and no desire to learn much more. We know too much already.

Now you're actually stating that his is "not a female friendly culture". LOL... then you're saying my story that Thai ladies were hostile to a filipino lady practicing Thai was BS as you've never know it to happen. Of course as far as you're concerned if you haven't seen something, it didn't happen as you are the Mr know-it-all of everything Thai.

You really are confused.

I think you're so deeply involved with your Thai family in suburbia that you don't have a clue what goes on in Pattaya's tourist district.

Edited by tropo

I think we can all agree that if you're not Thai at heart you will get bored of the Thai culture after a while.

Why would you think that? I'm bored with the constant negativity of Western posters but not the Thai culture.

Nonsense! You've entertained yourself for days and days replying to everyone who hinted anything negative. You're not bored, that's for sure... It's not just a few people being negative dude - it's thousands - tens of thousands. I know people as Thai as you that have had enough (i.e. they speak perfect Thai and run businesses here)... there is a reason behind it, but you're blind to reality.

surely this thread was meant as a joke. or does anybody think associating Pattaya with Thai culture is not a joke? coffee1.gif

A thread started by a man who knows little about Thai culture and cares even less looking to go home and commented on by a recluse, man in a bubble and a Fillipinphile who dislikes/avoids Thailand culture telling a well adjusted expat with a Thai wife and family about Thailand. Yup a joke.

I lived in Pattaya when it was a fishing village, a refuge from the troubles in Bangkok and more recently and on all three occasions it was a part of the Thai culture. In each case a different part but a part nevertheless.

I came over here with my Filipino partner. We'd already been together for years in the Philippines. We both were new here and both of a different culture. I was not bringing "coal to Newcastle"... It was gold.biggrin.png 10- years here and we are still solid, with a much better understanding of Thai culture and no desire to learn much more. We know too much already.

Now you're actually stating that his is "not a female friendly culture". LOL... then you're saying my story that Thai ladies were hostile to a filipino lady practicing Thai was BS as you've never know it to happen. Of course as far as you're concerned if you haven't seen something, it didn't happen as you are the Mr know-it-all of everything Thai.

You really are confused.

I think you're so deeply involved with your Thai family in suburbia that you don't have a clue what goes on in Pattaya's tourist district.

A thread started by a man who knows little about Thai culture and cares even less looking to go home and commented on by a recluse, man in a bubble and a Fillipinphile who dislikes/avoids Thailand culture telling a well adjusted expat with a Thai wife and family about Thailand. Yup a joke.

I lived in Pattaya when it was a fishing village, a refuge from the troubles in Bangkok and more recently and on all three occasions it was a part of the Thai culture. In each case a different part but a part nevertheless.

Man you must be older than dirt. You must have saved dozens of HIV infected people in that time.

surely this thread was meant as a joke. or does anybody think associating Pattaya with Thai culture is not a joke? coffee1.gif

next time you detect some Thai culture in Pattaya let me know. i might develop some interest and leave my home for a short while to meet that "culture". but till then... i won't hold my breath! gigglem.gif

Man you must be older than dirt. You must have saved dozens of HIV infected people in that time.

The people die and leave their children. They are orphans. Sad. If you would like to donate time or money you can google to find out how.

The people die and leave their children. They are orphans. Sad. If you would like to donate time or money you can google to find out how.

Meh death and orphans exist in my home country and not a chance would I donate jack to them so not a chance is some warm fuzzy "culture" going to overcome me and have me donate anything here.