Classifiers for eggs

GuyDow

To the best of my knowledge "forng" is correct but "bai" and "look" are often used instead.

Whether or not "bai" or more specifically "look" are grammatically incorrect is rather academic in everyday conversation. Both seem to be acceptable and used more often than "forng".

Every time I try to use Bai, I'm told it's wrong.....but I'm sure I read it somewhere.

I'm beginning to wonder if there are regional variations or many Thai people simply don't know half of the time.

bai is a general classifier that you use when you cant remember the specific one. forng is correct one for eggs in my appraisal. luug is a classifier for round things so somewhat appropriate.

so you wouldnt use luug for fried eggs but use forng instead

My Thai language teacher (when I was still taking lessons) told me that "bai" and "look" referred to eggs with their shells still on, "look" being more formal and "bai" more casual. "Forng" was anything else, e.g. fried eggs.

Problem I have been having recently is that my chickens have started laying eggs again and everytime I talk to a Thai about it they correct my classifier. Unfortunately the corrections are not consistent so I have ended up more confused than ever.

I think I'll stick to what my teacher said since it is broadly consistent with the consensus on this forum.

Thanks for the input guys. It has really helped to clarify things for me.

My Thai language teacher (when I was still taking lessons) told me that "bai" and "look" referred to eggs with their shells still on, "look" being more formal and "bai" more casual. "Forng" was anything else, e.g. fried eggs.

Problem I have been having recently is that my chickens have started laying eggs again and everytime I talk to a Thai about it they correct my classifier. Unfortunately the corrections are not consistent so I have ended up more confused than ever.

I think I'll stick to what my teacher said since it is broadly consistent with the consensus on this forum.

"GuyDow" = ไข่ดาว How spiffy is that!!

An opinion from a Thai on Facebook from 2014:

"ลักษณะนามของไข่ ใช้คำว่า ใบ ฟอง หรือลูก แต่ถ้าไข่ 30 ฟองที่ขาย เรียกว่า 1 ถาด หรือ 1 แผง คะ"

eggs in a carton

[Do the British use the word "carton" also?]

Not as much as we used to. In my childhood egg cartons always held six eggs, so "go and get me a carton of eggs" was unambiguous. Then they fiendishly introduced cartons holding 12 eggs. Now there are cartons containing 10 or 15 eggs, so "carton of eggs" in no longer sufficiently prescriptive. O tempora, o mores!

Not as much as we used to. In my childhood egg cartons always held six eggs, so "go and get me a carton of eggs" was unambiguous. Then they fiendishly introduced cartons holding 12 eggs. Now there are cartons containing 10 or 15 eggs, so "carton of eggs" in no longer sufficiently prescriptive. O tempora, o mores!

Thank you, Oxx. Yet one more of those cross-channel words invading English.

"GuyDow" = ไข่ดาว How spiffy is that!!

An opinion from a Thai on Facebook from 2014:

"ลักษณะนามของไข่ ใช้คำว่า ใบ ฟอง หรือลูก แต่ถ้าไข่ 30 ฟองที่ขาย เรียกว่า 1 ถาด หรือ 1 แผง คะ"

eggs in a carton

Been using that alias for nearly 10 years and you are the first to spot the reference.

Derives from my wife's comments about my less than abundant head of hair.

Archived