PM says govt will not put pressure on authorities to speed up the Dhammachayo’s case

webfact

PM says government will not put pressure on authorities to speed up the Dhammachayo’s case

3005001-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The government will not put pressure on authorities concerned to speed up the case against the embattled abbot of Wat Dhammakaya, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha said on Monday.

He pointed out that the important thing about his case is that the public who are mostly Buddhists should understand the case and how it has evolved – that this is not a case about one party bullying another party but originated from the massive fraud at Klong Chan Credit Union Cooperatives.

However, the prime minister said that the case had been distorted and expanded by some elements. As such, he suggested that all parties concerned should try to ease the conflict.

He noted that the case could not be handled by law alone but also with the monastic law and dhamma discipline concurrently. “If taking action now will lead to more conflicts, the officials will not do it but would rather wait and will do it in the future,” he said without elaborating.

The prime minister admitted that he was concerned that any tough action to be taken by the authorities might lead to a clash between two opposing camps. He said that he had assigned the justice minister to take care of the case.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/165355

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-31

Absurd and fanciful, how gullible

followers are used to muddy the process,

another Waco Texas in its infancy that can so quickly

escalate to blood shed ,while the facade orange man hides,

What a complete cop out from a man who exhibits no leadership whatsoever.

Describing the issue as starting from a MASSIVE fraud he then goes onto to justify why there's no rush to do anything.

Nothing out of 10, and it's not a case of must try harder just MUST TRY !

Please, please find him a bike lane issue or some another ' ' major problem that he will happily micro-manage.

"He noted that the case could not be handled by law alone but also with the monastic law and dharma discipline concurrently. “If taking action now will lead to more conflicts, the officials will not do it but would rather wait and will do it in the future,” he said without elaborating.

Because he didn't want to elude to, that he wants the issue to be kept quiet until the elections are over, as he thinks he can get more votes by sweeping this issue under the carpet.

''He noted that the case could not be handled by law alone but also with the monastic law and dhamma discipline concurrently.''

I didn't realise these laws were legally binding in the criminal justice system :blink:

''He noted that the case could not be handled by law alone but also with the monastic law and dhamma discipline concurrently.''

I didn't realise these laws were legally binding in the criminal justice system blink.png

The Thai ' legal system ' is nothing if not flexible and the make it up as we go and suits helps a lot too.

He pointed out that the important thing about his case is that the public who are mostly Buddhists should understand the case and how it has evolved.

Again, what the fukc does this have to do with the price of eggs?

Is this so called PM operating on the premise that if he doesn't make a decision he can't lose face by making the wrong one so better to make it look as if he's being careful and taking things slowly and reasonably to get the perfect result ?

Cunning isn't it ?

I'd like to know the facts behind the allegations. For example what duty of care - or other legal obligation - is there on a temple in Thailand to enquire where any donations come from? I bet none.

If cheques had been issued back to the donor, minus a large slice of commission, then yes, I can understand it.

Edited by sharecropper

although I have labelled the whole thing as a circus there are divisive elements that would like nothing better than to use the whole thing to cause conflict which as seen from past the past can happen very quickly in Thailand, but the law is the law and allowances should be made for nobody, if there is is strong evidence suggesting that laws have been broken (which it seems there is) then justice should prevail with no exception.

"He noted that the case could not be handled by law alone but also with the monastic law and dhamma discipline concurrently." well there you have it. Buddhist rules trump civil law. No need to make it national religion: already is. Bright point is that shows bully boys back down when faced with united opposition, may give hope to other "faiths". Monk should be put in meditation cell at local prison.... who knows, he might even find out what Buddhism is actually about, given enough time.

As Wat Dammakaya has a big following amongst the BKK HiSo, there is a risk of him alienating a large chunk of his core constituency immediately prior to the vote of confidence aka the referendum. He would really like this problem to go away or at least not be strong armed at this sensitive point in time. His worst nightmare would be storming in, arresting the monk, and then the charges not sticking when it came to court. Far better that would happen once the JEC (Junta Enabling Constitution) was firmly in place.

I didn't realise these laws were legally binding in the criminal justice system blink.png

The confusion might be that when a person testifies in court here now, I don't know if they've ever been required to put their hand on a bible and say so help me God after swearing to tell the truth and nothing but.

Plus I'm not sure if their criminal law here is based on English Common Law.

Edited by silent

I'd like to know the facts behind the allegations. For example what duty of care - or other legal obligation - is there on a temple in Thailand to enquire where any donations come from? I bet none.

If cheques had been issued back to the donor, minus a large slice of commission, then yes, I can understand it.

We would all like to know the facts, but as long as the monk isn't taken into custody the trail cannot start and the fact finding cannot start.

Edited by Bob12345

The confusion might be that when a person testifies in court here now, I don't know if they've ever been required to put their hand on a bible and say so help me God after swearing to tell the truth and nothing but.

Plus I'm not sure if their criminal law here is based on English Common Law.

Buddhists, Muslims, etc. don't use the Bible.

In the USA one is only required to affirm in court that they will tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Even the "So help me God" is not required in the affirmation.

Thailand follows common law in its judicial system. But I wouldn't lable it English common law - its more like Thai common law. Basically whatever works best for the influential.

the case could not be handled by law alone but also with the monastic law and dhamma discipline concurrently

But no always when it comes to monk.

DSI recently warned fugitive jet setting monk Wirapol Sukphol who now resides in the USA, “We will get you one way or another“1

DSI is following his movements as he jet sets around the globe.

Apparently, there are good fugitive monks and bad fugitive monks. Only Prayut seems to know the difference.

Thank you Prayut for reform of the judicial system.

1http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/921016-we-will-get-you-one-way-or-another-dsi-warns-fugitive-jet-setting-monk/

Describing the issue as starting from a MASSIVE fraud he then goes onto to justify why there's no rush to do anything.

Please, please find him a bike lane issue or some another ' ' major problem that he will happily micro-manage.

I do believe many underestimate Thais in powerful positions. It's often not that they're unable/unwilling to enforce the law, more that they don't want to be in breach of 'contract'.

I do believe many underestimate Thais in powerful positions. It's often not that they're unable/unwilling to enforce the law, more that they don't want to be in breach of 'contract'.

Each powerful faction has their franchise.