My Alsatian has Fleas

Me and Mrs Cockwomble have an Alsatian called Chuck, he's 3 years old and a very good dog. However, he is continually getting ticks and fleas, despite us administering flea drops.

It makes him very irritable and I do worry that he may bite someone because of his frustration. I would hate for him also to attack our ducks.

Can any dog owners recommend anything that might help? There is quite a range, and I am thinking of collars as well as tablets?

Must be some wise members here.

All can do us buy good flea and tick shampoo and powder. We have same problem with out dog we bath hin every second day or every day if he plays with village dogs. And put powder on her every other day.tried everything but she still gets them

Not to sure about the fleas, but you are properly into 'tick season' now and they can be real nasty. We nearly lost a siberian last year due to the ticks carrying blood parasites, his whole defence system was knocked out and he ended up with the vet for 3 weeks before he stabilized and got the white cell count up, very close to major organ failure.

So, not to be taken lightly. I would recommend something like K9 Advantix (Bayer) or Frontline. Your vet should be able to help source these for you depending where you are.

Also advisable to decontaminate the entire area that your dog stays by spraying, particular attention to his sleeping area.

check out EN DEX 4000 its a pill that seems to work well on ticks (costs next to nothing), I have two large dogs who also get alot of ticks however this stuff seems to work although I have seen mixed reports on if it is safe for dogs, also frontline is good just make sure its not fake and its not washed off.

Another thing, we feed our dogs meat and dog biscuits with a bit of soup... the mrs puts a bit of garlic in it, ticks hate garlic and dogs love it, it can be harmfull for dogs to only a small amount of garlic to keep the ticks away, combined this is the only way we control ticks, nightmare this time of year... when you find them, burn them on a pin, be careful squashing them in your nails etc as they can carry lime disease etc, cheers

There was a thread here not long ago about using (human) medicated soap to control some skin infections and get rid of fleas and ticks.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/908166-dog-washing-tips/

I've been washing my dogs about once a week with Dettol soap, one for the skin infection and the other two just because I had the soap in my hands.

The skin infection appears to have gone and have not had any flea or tick problems with any of the dogs.

Give it a try

smile.png

We have a company comes once a month to spray the house and garden and the dogs never have fleas or ticks. Initially they did so we had them injected I think was every 6 months and after 3 or 4 injections it broke the cycle of ticks/eggs. 4 years now with no problems.

Have to add though they don't have any contact with other dogs.

Edited by overherebc

If OP hasn't already suggest searching this forum as there have been a couple of very informative threads in the last couple of years although more on ticks then fleas.

One thing that seemed common to all of the replies however was that there seemed to be no universal cure - what worked for some did not for others. Combining many of the actions should give the best chance of success.

Recommended a long time ago was this product,Imax powder, which we tried out.
post-108341-0-18333800-1464792851_thumb.

It certainly seems to have worked with ours - one long haired GSD and a short haired Alsation cross for the last 15 months or so. We also have the garden and house sprayed once a month but have been able to stop putting sellotape around their penned area in the house. This was recommended by one poster and helped to control and collect a lot of ticks which we then disposed off.
We give IMax about once every 4-8 weeks but the dosage was a little arbitrary based on their weights and initially they had upset stomachs. The last 7 months or so this does not seem to have been an issue.

I know other owners with huskyies and bankheaws who have their dogs injected by a vet but also do not allow them to rummage around in the foliage when walking them - which ours do a lot smile.png

Edit - typo

Edited by topt

I posted a photo of Bayer flea collar and for some reason it's gone. They are available at any vet in Thailand. I'd post another photo but I'm afraid to.

Thanks Scot, it seems to have gone but I will look up the Bayer flea collar

If OP hasn't already suggest searching this forum as there have been a couple of very informative threads in the last couple of years although more on ticks then fleas.

One thing that seemed common to all of the replies however was that there seemed to be no universal cure - what worked for some did not for others. Combining many of the actions should give the best chance of success.

Recommended a long time ago was this product,Imax powder, which we tried out.

attachicon.gifIMax dog.jpg

It certainly seems to have worked with ours - one long haired GSD and a short haired Alsation cross for the last 15 months or so. We also have the garden and house sprayed once a month but have been able to stop putting sellotape around their penned area in the house. This was recommended by one poster and helped to control and collect a lot of ticks which we then disposed off.

We give IMax about once every 4-8 weeks but the dosage was a little arbitrary based on their weights and initially they had upset stomachs. The last 7 months or so this does not seem to have been an issue.

I know other owners with huskyies and bankheaws who have their dogs injected by a vet but also do not allow them to rummage around in the foliage when walking them - which ours do a lot smile.png

Edit - typo

What chemicals does I-Max contain?

I suspect it is the standard anti-parasite Ivermec, given by injection or in pill form. The pills are called ENDEX (see ryanhull's post). You can get ENDEX 4000, 6000, and maybe other sizes. The number is the number of units, and this needs to be co-ordinated with your dog's size (my vet said 300 units per kg).

This is supposed to be effective against all internal and external parasites. My vet recommends the injections, but for convenience I use the pills. I find them largely effective, but I still have to check the dogs daily for ticks, and find one or two quite often.

Discuss this with your vet, though, before using it, and especially before combining it with any other medication.

I don't know if you can get it there but Activyl is the best flea repellent I've ever used. We live in a wooded area with lots of fleas around and have never found one on my dog when using this product.

I posted a photo of Bayer flea collar and for some reason it's gone. They are available at any vet in Thailand. I'd post another photo but I'm afraid to.

The photo was clickable and takes us to a commercial site, which really isn't permitted.

• 3 months later...

let this be a warning to all of us,we do study every single tablet or treatment med.for anything that is to treat our boy [dog].

for 18months our boy was given medication that almost cost him his life. he was so depressed he wasnt enjoying his life at all.

NOW come and see for yourself.

On 9/13/2016 at 9:09 AM, Keesters said:

14324691_1339272722779854_1641772571157628834_o.jpg

Yes, I worry about this.

These products are toxic enough to warrant the typical warnings 'wash your hands thoroughly after application' etc. - so its hard to believe that they're entirely safe for our dogs.

On the other hand, tick-borne blood parasites are extremely harmful - even fatal.

On 6/1/2016 at 5:09 PM, ryanhull said:

check out EN DEX 4000 its a pill that seems to work well on ticks (costs next to nothing), I have two large dogs who also get alot of ticks however this stuff seems to work although I have seen mixed reports on if it is safe for dogs, also frontline is good just make sure its not fake and its not washed off.

Another thing, we feed our dogs meat and dog biscuits with a bit of soup... the mrs puts a bit of garlic in it, ticks hate garlic and dogs love it, it can be harmfull for dogs to only a small amount of garlic to keep the ticks away, combined this is the only way we control ticks, nightmare this time of year... when you find them, burn them on a pin, be careful squashing them in your nails etc as they can carry lime disease etc, cheers

We also use and recommend En-Dex 4000 (ivermectin) we get it from Supper Cheap stores in Phuket and a box of

10 tablets(10 months supply ) only costs 60 baht to 149 baht depending on store, the same product ivermectin is sold by some veterinarians with a

different brand name at much higher price

En-Dex comes on 400/6000 and 8000 doses for different weight dogs

We have tried different drops and needles  and En-Dex is the only product that really works with our dog

And all the other dogs in our village, we even give it to the soi dogs

Had some vets (not all) say their is no quality control on the product which i do not believe

Its sold in some supermarkets at a much cheaper price than they  can sell products restricted to sell by Vets only

Its good for fleas, ticks and heart worm.

Edited by madmax2

22 hours ago, madmax2 said:

We also use and recommend En-Dex 4000 (ivermectin) we get it from Supper Cheap stores in Phuket and a box of

10 tablets(10 months supply ) only costs 60 baht to 149 baht depending on store, the same product ivermectin is sold by some veterinarians with a

different brand name at much higher price

En-Dex comes on 400/6000 and 8000 doses for different weight dogs

We have tried different drops and needles  and En-Dex is the only product that really works with our dog

And all the other dogs in our village, we even give it to the soi dogs

Had some vets (not all) say their is no quality control on the product which i do not believe

Its sold in some supermarkets at a much cheaper price than they  can sell products restricted to sell by Vets only

Its good for fleas, ticks and heart worm.

Since discovering Ivermectin 5 years ago my dog has been tick free.  Previous dog died of a tick borne disease despite expensive monthly Frontline treatment administered by a vet. I reckon his Frontline was fake. You don't fake a 10 baht tablet. Ivermectin rocks. According instructions also good for worms and mange.