Slurry Pit

As mentioned before, we have a fair amount of land and are adding livestock , poultry and game to support our service station idea.

We are thinking of also growing vegetables as well, so its really self sufficuent. Of course we are looking a fetaliser for the vegetables, so thinking of having a slurry pit, anyone have good ideas on how to build one with minimal costs?

Well Cock (I hope that you don’t mind me calling you by your first name), I might be able to advise you on this matter.

I come from the Southwest of the UK (I won’t say where but think of pasties, 6 fingers on each foot and what Ruth would be nicknamed if she were painted red) and the place is riddled with slurry pits.

Anyway, one of the biggest mistakes that we see are when the local farmers set up a slurry pit and spend way too much money on security (fences, high walls, CCTV, etc).

The amount that is spent on these security features by far strips any profit made from the sale of a high grade slurry.

Think of your slurry pit as you would a swimming pool.

One of the most important features that your slurry pits should include is a decent escape route.

Slurry pit??cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You must be dreaming mate, how many cows are you planning on keeping???

100-200 maybe, because that is how many you would need before thinking about slurry pits.

I have experience building slurry pits in the UK, and no farmer would consider building 1 with less stock.

I use to milk 150 cows in the UK , kept on a slurry system ,also pit was filled with rain water ,we had a stirrer to stir the slurry ,stops the solids separating out ,then we had a slurry tanker that use to suck out the slurry ,then spread it on the fields .

Now here in LOS ,if you had a slurry pit ,over the past 4 months it would have dried out ,leaving just a thick goo ,needing a a 360 backhoe to empty the pit ,then it will need spreading on the land ..... somehow .you could empty the pit during the rainy season ,but you would only pump out the water only ,leaving all the solid ,you would need a stirrer ,not a thing you could find in Thailand.

As has been said if you had another 100 cows it might work ,but the investment to make it work would not make economical sense, think of another idea.

I use to milk 150 cows in the UK , kept on a slurry system ,also pit was filled with rain water ,we had a stirrer to stir the slurry ,stops the solids separating out ,then we had a slurry tanker that use to suck out the slurry ,then spread it on the fields .

Now here in LOS ,if you had a slurry pit ,over the past 4 months it would have dried out ,leaving just a thick goo ,needing a a 360 backhoe to empty the pit ,then it will need spreading on the land ..... somehow .you could empty the pit during the rainy season ,but you would only pump out the water only ,leaving all the solid ,you would need a stirrer ,not a thing you could find in Thailand.

As has been said if you had another 100 cows it might work ,but the investment to make it work would not make economical sense, think of another idea.

At least you don't have the nitrogen limits for agricultural land here.

Have seen some of the public use ponds in my local village flooded and, now completely dead, following some bad rain last rainy season which flooded a pig farm nearby.