Mazda 3 (2012) High Fuel consumption

Hi,

I bought myself a second hand Mazda 3 2.0L (2012 Model). I was absolutely shocked to see the fuel consumption. Bangkok city stop and go traffic is around 16L/100km fuel consumption. When I drive constantly with 100km/h on the highway I can lower to 6.5L/100km but Bangkok Stop and Go rush hour is a nightmare. I can literally watch the fuel bar moving down. Is this normal behavior for a 2L car in City traffic?

My last car was a Honda Jazz 1.5L. The Honda uses maybe half of that.

Edited by SoFarAndNear

Seems about right for a Mazda3 2lt. They have always been heavy on fuel.

Friend of mine had a new one about 2012 and we used to go on trips together.

My Fortuner Spivo always used about half what his Mazda consumed.

Yes I know that mine is a Diesel against his Petrol but it shouldn't have been that far apart.

Sorry to say think you'll just have to live with it, or do what my chum did and sell it.

There is a good part they are quite nippy.

I drive my 3.2L Ford Ranger to work and back across Bangkok every working day (55km round trip), and consumption is around 12-13L/100km, which I think is awful. It goes down to around 8L/100km on a long journey. Yes, it's a diesel not petrol, but it's a 5-cylinder 3.2L engine.

16L/100km is around 6km/litre, which is frankly awful. I thought my truck was bad at 8km/litre, and it's a constant sore point with my wife who has a Prius.

I wish there was a standard fuel consumption measure - L/100km, km/L, MPG (Imperial and US), makes comparison difficult. My Ford's consumption is obviously bad around Pattaya, driving from one set of traffic lights to another, with an average speed of 14 mph. Out on a long trip makes a big difference.

Edited by Henryford

km/l is the easiest as any dumb person will understand that for each L you get that many KM out of the car. Miles per galon is useless as most of the world has no idea what the hell is a mile and l/100km requires mathematics to understand how many km you get out of 1 liter of fuel which again makes it completely stupid.

Km/l

i put 24b i get 15km, easy to underrstand

l/100km

i put 24b, how many km's do i get out of my 24b? no idea

I'm picking up a new Mazda 3 2L SP next week, with all the modern electronics, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes - at least for me whose last car in Oz, before arriving here late last year, was a 2003 Holden Calais (ie Dark Ages by today's standards, but a splendid, large & reliable drive on Canberra's luxury roads and up & down the Hume Hgwy). Here I will drive mostly in rural Thailand (Surin & nearby) so I expect the fuel consumption should be OK. I hope never to drive in BKK, though that's always going to be a threat on the horizon.

Now I just have to teach my partner to drive (sigh!) ...

km/l is the easiest as any dumb person will understand that for each L you get that many KM out of the car. Miles per galon is useless as most of the world has no idea what the hell is a mile and l/100km requires mathematics to understand how many km you get out of 1 liter of fuel which again makes it completely stupid.

Km/l

l/100km

Most of the civilised world uses mpg.

FYI, my Focus 2.0 (2013) is used almost solely in Bangkok and I get 11.5l/100km (8.7km/l, 24.5mpg) or thereabouts. When I have taken it on a run I get about 7l/100km (14.1km/l, 40mpg)

Km/l

l/100km

Ah yes, with different measurements for gallons and for miles.

BTW, according to Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile:

While most countries replaced the mile with the kilometere when switching to the International System of Units, the international mile continues to be used in some countries, such as Liberia, Myanmar, the United Kingdom, the United States, and a number of countries with less than a million inhabitants, most of which are UK or US territories, or have close historical ties with the UK or US.

Edited by stevenl

Km/l

l/100km

Stupid Post......There is also a world outside USA ............this is the civilised World and they use Liter/ 100Km

My 2015 Mazda 3 2.0L does about 11L/100km in heavy city traffic and around 6L/100km on the highway.

I believe 2012 was pre Skyactiv technology, so there would be a difference.

Hi,

yes I did read a lot today. The new SkyActiv Models have around 30% better fuel consumption. As someone else already wrote, I have to live with it or sell the car. I did not expect that this would make such a big difference to my old Honda Jazz (2011). The performance is not that much better...

I'm finding it difficult to follow exactly what the fuel is costing in a few posts. Every time I change my car I check the cost of the fuel by filling the tank up to the brim, do my journey and fill it up again upon my return. As I put my tripometer at 0000 when leaving I know exactly what the journey cost me. Divide the Klms into the price of the fuel and easily to tell what I paid for every Klm. I do the same when driving around town and that usually works out about half a baht more per Klm.

Edited by dotpoom

A to B is 400 km:

How many L do I need ?

6L / 100 km : 24 L , easy

16.6 km/l : no idea

perhaps it would be easier if your A-B distance is 78.4 km and consumption is at 9.8L/100km. how many liters will you need? i can tell you won't need a calculator for that.

i find km/L more useful because i care more about the baht that leaves my wallet than the amount of gas that goes into the tank. let's say i'm travelling at a consumption rate of 12.4 km/L. price of the gas i use is 23.25 baht/L, so i'm burning a little less than 2 baht for each kilometer i cover. i don't race or drive F1, so the amount of fuel i need to travel X distance is irrelevant. cost is a more practical information to know while operating or maintaining a vehicle.

If a car owner these days can't distinguish fuel consumption between

lt/km, km/lt or mpg maybe then it's time to get a <deleted>$&ing smartphone.

and that was my modest way to express my 2 cents on that topic.

perhaps it would be easier if your A-B distance is 78.4 km and consumption is at 9.8L/100km. how many liters will you need? i can tell you won't need a calculator for that.

Very easy: 9.8L is an average, to stay on the safe side I would take 10l. same for the distance, could be 80km. So would need 8 l.

The cost is interesting to know , but says nothing about fuel consumption.

8l is 8l, if today it costs 200thb , next month maybe 300thb. It also depends on the area, the petrol station , price of crude oil etc.

Why don't you input your fuel data into fuelly.com ...then you will have complete records and it calculates km/L L/km mpg or whatever units you want. See my usage on there ... same handle.