To farang men who married Thai women...

27 minutes ago, Voodoochile said:

Shouldn't need a "piece of paper" to love someone anyway

You don't need the piece of paper to love someone.

In most countries that piece of paper is to sort out inheritance, wills, probate etc and even more so if you are married in another country, Thailand for a close example, and you have assets in both countries plus family in both countries.

If you want your current wife to inherit ALL your worldly goods and chattels in both countries and you are not legally married to your current wife then your intentions for her and your children will not be carried out as the family you leave behind will be entitled to more of your fortune than the woman you are living with but not married to.

The exception is that you have a will in both countries naming her as the sole heir to everything and even then there is a chance that the former family will be able to gain your assets in your former country.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

In most countries that piece of paper is to sort out inheritance, wills, probate etc and even more so if you are married in another country, Thailand for a close example, and you have assets in both countries plus family in both countries.

If you want your current wife to inherit ALL your worldly goods and chattels in both countries and you are not legally married to your current wife then your intentions for her and your children will not be carried out as the family you leave behind will be entitled to more of your fortune than the woman you are living with but not married to.

The exception is that you have a will in both countries naming her as the sole heir to everything and even then there is a chance that the former family will be able to gain your assets in your former country.

You are either a lawyer or have been married too many times;)) but thanks for the info.

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Bill, I think that there would have to be exceptional circumstances for a valid Will to be challenged by former family.

Only if they are dependent under Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 might they have a case.

5 hours ago, Voodoochile said:

You are either a lawyer or have been married too many times;)) but thanks for the info.

Neither.

Nice try but no cigar.

Only married twice. The first time for 21 years and this time 18 years and still going strong.

5 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Bill, I think that there would have to be exceptional circumstances for a valid Will to be challenged by former family.

Only if they are dependent under Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 might they have a case.

I agree but having seen some of the posts on here I tried to do it the easy way.

I cut my ties to the UK and left nothing behind.

In Thailand the truck, motorbike, computers etc are in my name and the rest is in my Thai wife's name. If she dies before me everything goes to our son and I am not only legally his Dad but also his guardian so there is a 99.xxxx% that I can stay,

My exwife learned me to speak thai..laos and kamer too..im thankful for that..thats why so many girls dont like me++he-he

Anyway.. we had 2 kids after married 11 years..my ex and our kids stay in norway..good relationship to echother..50/50 custody..no childsupport..we both moved on..talk on phone everyday..stay same village in norway..kids number 1..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/8/2016 at 4:26 PM, JAS21 said:

Wow ... no. My wife is wonderful ... we lived in the UK from 2002 until 2007 and since then here.

If she has a fault then it's she never lets me win on the golf course.

Sorry that all the previous replies seem to have been unlucky

you cant expect to play a Thai and win ......................they all cheat.

3 hours ago, catman20 said:

you cant expect to play a Thai and win ......................they all cheat.

Just got back from golf ... she won again ... she doesn't need to cheat to beat me ..........now if you are talking about a comp.  that is a different matter.....

• Like 1

On 6/8/2016 at 9:16 PM, alfieconn said:

Be interesting to know what the age difference was on the failed marriages !

Good point. I'm 40. She is 33. Together 8 years. Married 2. Already game over.  What are others age gaps..? 

EI wise mine is like a 12 year old

17 hours ago, Jteam said:

Good point. I'm 40. She is 33. Together 8 years. Married 2. Already game over.  What are others age gaps..? 

EI wise mine is like a 12 year old

I am 74 and my wife is 53. Been together 25 years married 18 and our son will be 14 in a couple of months.

10 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Why buy when you can rent on leasehold longterm :giggle:   (this has been said and repeated very often)

Avoids hassles, unpleasant expenses and mysterious high rise balcony take off's and landings

Why would I want to rent or lease a woman in the long term in the first place.

I have very few hassles with my wife, no really unpleasant expenses in the last 25 years and I live in her 2 story house in rural Thailand.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

and do you have to pay for those kids?

No kids but I pay for the dog.  I like the dog.  The dog is my friend.  Somebody told me if I wanted a friend to get a dog and I did.  Got married by monks 10 years ago and that was enough for the young lady who is 30 years younger than I.   No family problems.  Family was afraid no one would marry my wife and were happy when I came along.  Mom just tells her to keep her mouth shut because men who pay the bills don't come along every day.  She earns half as much as I and her contributions to our expenses are on that percent.  My pension stops when I die so I'm well taken care of. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2016 at 3:41 PM, koolkarl said:

Over the years, I have heard many real life cases of broken relationships; vast majority of relationships end up

on the rocks and financial ruin. These cases happened in 4 different countries I have lived in.

Common theme is that most women have the same brain.

Here in Thailand, a foreign man is at a significant disadvantage from day 1. He is the lonely, rich foreigner who

has more money than brains so he pays and pays and pays until he can pay no more and back to the bars.

Thai courts and her family will always support her.

Would you like to play a high stakes poker game with the odds vastly against you?

And I detest that word 'farang'.

Yes Farang is pejorative.  Just like the N word.

• Haha 1

On 6/9/2016 at 6:53 PM, ceolwynn said:

have you ever checked the life span differences between men and women ?

females will typically outlive men

by 10 -to- 20 years sometimes... that

means if you want to be with a woman

that will have a similar amount of

remaining years as you... she should

be a minimum of 10 years older. and

about up to about 16 years older...

that means us mid 50's guys need to

have a woman about 68... hmmm...

my last long term relationship was

19 years younger than me. she lied and

cheated... previous one was nearly my

same age, lied and cheated... I'd rather

have a long term business relationship

with a younger woman with no intention

of marrying or living together...

Who wants to be with a woman over 45 years old?

Best planning for men is to be dead or moved on by the time she reaches that age.

10 hours ago, The manic said:

Maybe and maybe not,

The arguments are mostly beyond posters in this forum as they can't speak Thai.

But,

Thai language rules say you never address a human being without using a correct preceding 'honorific'.

For example, when speaking to a Thai, you would politely call them Kon Thai, Nong Thai, etc. Shouting, "Hey Thai" would be an insult as you have just indicated their status in life was non-human, in effect, an animal.

So a Thai calling you 'farang' would be an insult, as they should correctly address you as 'Kon farang' (or Pee, Nong, Lung, Baa, etc.)

Same with all Thai people, If a guy is named Somchai

Pee Somchai, Nong Somchai, Lung Somchai, all correct age relative titles to add before a name, calling anyone direct by name is impolite.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Who wants to be with a woman over 45 years old?

Best planning for men is to be dead or moved on by the time she reaches that age.

My GF is 51, and a lot better in bed than most 25 year olds.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2016 at 4:26 PM, JAS21 said:

Wow ... no. My wife is wonderful ... we lived in the UK from 2002 until 2007 and since then here.

If she has a fault then it's she never lets me win on the golf course.

Sorry that all the previous replies seem to have been unlucky

So happy to see someone else who admits he is happily married. I have seen many bad marriages between Western men and Eastern women in my 50+ years of running in SEA, but I have also seen many good ones. I guess it is the losers--not intentionally derogative, I meant the losers at love--who make the most noise when complaining.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 10:07 PM, The manic said:

Terms for nouns are not inherently pejorative--having a negative context; disdain, contempt or disapproval. The derision has to lie in the mind of the beholder. If you feel it is a denigration, so be it. I take the intent of the source as the key to my interpretation. I use the term myself to refer to we white guys and I am not being pejorative. 

As you say, the "N" word is often regarded as pejorative. I used to play semi-pro gridiron. I was the only white member of the starting defense. When my black teammates learned that I knew how to play; they accepted me despite my skin color. My nickname became, My "N" word.  I was not called the "N" word pejoratively.

Together eight years, married six. No regrets despite not being able to grab a slice of cherry pie as I like. I love my wife. We spend lots of time together, really all our time when not working. She's a genuinely lovely, funny person. She's very low maintenance and never makes demands on my finances. A real gem I'm a better man with her. I'm happier, drink less and will never die of HIV, hep B/C or super G unlike a few on this board.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1