To farang men who married Thai women...

So far so good......Been married nearly 9 years she learn English and French in Canada,she complete her college degree and for the last 5 years she work as a nurse,we go in Thailand in the winter time (4 or 5 month every year) 

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Twentieth anniversary coming up at the end of the month. My wife is smart, hardworking, frugal, honest and loyal as can be, and a great mother. She's been a naturalized US citizen for 15 years and works productively in either country. No problems whatsoever from in-laws. We're both from middle-class backgrounds and are about the same age. She speaks English and I can speak Thai. I had no qualms about buying a house in her name in Chiang Mai-- it's our family home and an asset for her if anything happens to me and something to leave to our child. She doesn't drink, smoke, gamble, adorn herself with gold or designer clothes. She's a tactful, compassionate, caring person. She's very careful about socializing and stays clear of superficial friendships and even unnecessary family entanglements. Like any 20-year marriage, ours has its ups and downs, frustrations and nuisances, but I can never say I regret it.

And although I'm happy with my choices, I have absolutely nothing against "western women." When I was dating them I never felt emasculated or controlled. If a relationship didn't work out, the failure owed to our own shortcomings or incompatibility, not some big, scary historical "ism." Feminists are fine with me-- most of my female friends would consider themselves feminists and I agree with their calls for equal treatment and dignity. Guys who cry about "feminazis" or overly-independent western women are, in my opinion, just wimpily trying to blame others for their own failings. Women-- foreign and Thai alike--can sniff out that kind of weak-minded bitterness right off the bat. The good ones steer clear, and the worse one know how to take advantage. 

Met in 1980 and married in 1982.  Two luk krung boys that are now 33 & 31.  Both graduated from university and doing very well in the USA.

Unlike a lot of people with Thai wives, we didn't meet in Thailand.  We met in the USA where she was going to grad school and I was a student as well.  

Moved to Thailand in 1990.  Moved back to the USA in 2001 so that the kids could finish high school in the USA.  Best decision ever.  They are fluent in both languages, but I doubt either son will ever live in Thailand.  

Wife passed away from brain cancer in 2005.  Luckily she didn't suffer as it was discovered too late.  

On 2/1/2018 at 11:37 AM, Thaimike370 said:

Lived here 10 years, been married nine years, this is the best time of my life, I like the people, the country, have a great Thai wife, great lifestyle, no regrets whatsoever. Live by the following, you won't go far wrong.

Rule 1: If you don't like it here, don't keep moaning about it, GO HOME.

Rule 2: Respect Thai culture, remember you are a visitor here.

Rule 3: Never invest more than you can afford to lose and walk away from.

Rule 4: Never be worth more dead than alive.

Rule 5: Don't try and make this country into the one you left to come here, that will never work.

Rule 6: Don't try and improve things, Thais like it just the way it is.  Remember it is their country.

You seem like a stereotype that posts and not a real expat.

You sure you are just not making this up  

22 hours ago, Puwa said:

When I was dating them I never felt emasculated or controlled.

That comes later after they've moved in. Step out of line and you lose your home.

Men gain nothing from getting married in the west, and risk everything they own, including their freedom.

22 hours ago, Puwa said:

My wife is smart, hardworking, frugal, honest and loyal as can be, and a great mother. She's been a naturalized US citizen for 15 years and works productively in either country.

I had no qualms about buying a house in her name in Chiang Mai

If she's so smart, frugal, honest and hardworking in two countries, why doesn't she have the money to buy her own home in Chiang Mai?

I mean your 'my one is different' build-up was great, but then you went and spoiled it at the 'buy me house' finish.

Not knocking, just wondering.

Archived