RIP Cheap Charlie's: Chunk of Sukhumvit soi 11 reportedly sold to developers

snoop1130

Further to my above posting another factor adding to the destruction of the city and its uniqueness is the basic absence of sensible and logical town planning regulations. The few they have a seldom enforced, for reasons we all know, and the standard of construction is woeful and unsupervised in the quest for profit. This of course has its consequences in unsafe buildings. Several recent disasters have highlighted this.

"Several recent disasters" have occurred in the city as a result of substandard construction? Several? In Bangkok? Go on, let's have the list then.

Further to my above posting another factor adding to the destruction of the city and its uniqueness is the basic absence of sensible and logical town planning regulations. The few they have a seldom enforced, for reasons we all know, and the standard of construction is woeful and unsupervised in the quest for profit. This of course has its consequences in unsafe buildings. Several recent disasters have highlighted this.

"Several recent disasters" have occurred in the city as a result of substandard construction? Several? In Bangkok? Go on, let's have the list then.

Didnt you hear? just yesterday a 10 story condo collapsed in soi 8 killing 100 people. It happens so often that its hardly mentioned anymore coffee1.gif

The six months that I spend in Bangkok costs me more than my six months in Tokyo. With the rapid rise in the cost of living there, I imagine that in a couple of years I won't be able to afford spending my winters in Thailand. A friend is now wintering in Phuket for half the price of Bangkok. I don't particularly like the ambience of Phuket but I like the scenery. I have to find somewhere warm for the winters since my joints and muscles ache when it is cold.

May I suggest Pattaya, the City of Love.

Cheap as chips.

Beautiful ambience.

Warm all year round.

Experienced massage services to help relieve your muscle and joint aches.

And the best scenery in Thailand. (Most of these places open at 8pm)

The six months that I spend in Bangkok costs me more than my six months in Tokyo. With the rapid rise in the cost of living there, I imagine that in a couple of years I won't be able to afford spending my winters in Thailand. A friend is now wintering in Phuket for half the price of Bangkok. I don't particularly like the ambience of Phuket but I like the scenery. I have to find somewhere warm for the winters since my joints and muscles ache when it is cold.

Millions would and do disagree with you.

Bangkok is cheap as chips. Only idiots get fleeced

You are off your rocker. Bangkok can be as cheap as you want it to be or expensive as you want

sounds like your eating at the Marriott every night and guzzling fine wines well then sure your gonna have gaping hole in your pocket

You're totally right. Bangkok is FAR more expensive than Tokyo for almost everything, except taxis of course. It's a widely held misconception that Japan is expensive. It really isn't at all. You get First World services, amenities, infrastructure and educated people at a lower cost than Bangkok, which has none of those things.

Hotels are expensive in Tokyo and you get incredible small rooms.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

The problem with Bangkok now is that it already looks too much like New York and London . What brings in tourists is something that they cannot find at home. Street vendors selling a plethora of items; street bars until the wee hours; street food and push carts. Large hotels, malls and office buildings are not doing Bangkok any good. In addition, the traffic remains horrid; the skytrain is overcrowded and who wants to eat at McDonalds or Burger King when you are in Thailand. Many bars and clubs are overpriced. Why would I want to go to Hooters or other Western themed bars in Thailand when I can do that in America or Europe.

As far as nighttime 'entertainment' Nana, Patpong and Cowboy are on the way out. The business model does not fit any longer. In addition, the prices are too high for what one gets in return. Bangkok is changing but not for the better There are still a few places to have a fair priced drink and some fun but they are getting harder to find.

The problem with Bangkok now is that it already looks too much like New York and London . What brings in tourists is something that they cannot find at home. Street vendors selling a plethora of items; street bars until the wee hours; street food and push carts. Large hotels, malls and office buildings are not doing Bangkok any good. In addition, the traffic remains horrid; the skytrain is overcrowded and who wants to eat at McDonalds or Burger King when you are in Thailand. Many bars and clubs are overpriced. Why would I want to go to Hooters or other Western themed bars in Thailand when I can do that in America or Europe.

As far as nighttime 'entertainment' Nana, Patpong and Cowboy are on the way out. The business model does not fit any longer. In addition, the prices are too high for what one gets in return. Bangkok is changing but not for the better There are still a few places to have a fair priced drink and some fun but they are getting harder to find.

Man you are completely clueless.

"Bangkok, the capital of Thailand, is one of the world's top tourist destination cities. MasterCard ranked Bangkok as the global top destination city by international visitor arrivals in its Global Destination Cities Index, with 15.98 million projected visitors in 2013." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Bangkok

Those numbers have risen dramatically. You see fact trumps fantasy every time ..you get that right ? wink.png

The numbers are there but not the income generated. The Chinese who come in droves but stay in tour groups do not visit the places or spend the money that Western tourists spend. They do not stay in 5 Star Hotels either. Bangkok is no longer exotic - The Chinese, Indians and Middle Easterners give it a miss and head to Chiang Mai; Pattaya and Phuket. The Bangkok Administration wants to 'beautify' the city by pushing street vendors away and closing down the 'entertainment' industry. Bangkok used to have a strictly Thai style flavor- it no longer does.

The numbers are there but not the income generated. The Chinese who come in droves but stay in tour groups do not visit the places or spend the money that Western tourists spend. They do not stay in 5 Star Hotels either. Bangkok is no longer exotic - The Chinese, Indians and Middle Easterners give it a miss and head to Chiang Mai; Pattaya and Phuket. The Bangkok Administration wants to 'beautify' the city by pushing street vendors away and closing down the 'entertainment' industry. Bangkok used to have a strictly Thai style flavor- it no longer does.

Are you not embarrassed ? how lazy can one be to not even bother to research statistics? Get your head out of the Pattaya forum, in Bangkok they dont follow flags around for hours . Bangkok is a different demographic and dont believe everything you read on TV

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

"Chinese visitors now account for 27 percent of all foreign travelers to Thailand.[13] It is estimated that the average Chinese tourist remains in the country for one week and spends 30,000–40,000 baht (US$1,000–1,300) per person, per trip.[14] The average Chinese tourist spends 6,400 baht (US$180) per day—more than the average visitor's 5,690 baht"

Your posts are cringe worthy but provide some light heated entertainment on a slow afternoon biggrin.png

Oh the classic Chinese-don't-spend BS.

You're just regurgitating the crap you've read on Thaivisa.

I live between Nana and Asoke and let me tell you, the Chinese are absolutely everywhere. Terminal 21, EM Quartier, the bars and clubs on soi 11, even soi Cowboy and they're spending money.

The ones that do visit in tour groups end up shopping in Chinese owned businesses but guess what? Those businesses employ Thais, pay social security and Thai taxes; same as the businesses frequented by Westerners

Good riddance Cheap Charlie's and hopefully that awful "Mexican" farce, Charlie Browns. Too bad we'll lose Snappers, one of the best fish 'n chip shops.

Charlie Browns has the best margaritas in Thailand and their lunch menu is quite tasty and affordable. You only pay 80 baht for one marg when ordering from the lunch menu. I have many friends from Arizona that have enjoyed Charlie Brown's for many years and why you called it a farce is a real mystery. As I recall the beef is imported from New Zealand and they use fresh limes in their drinks.

Snappers was once the in restaurant for the Thai Elite with limos dropping off customers. In the last year their business has fallen and they lost most of their help. Many friends have reported the food and service is not what it use to be at Snappers.

Chiko,,,, What the hell are you drinking.

The way lower Sukhumvit is going it will be sterile soon.

Another shopping centre Please!!!!!

Have a look at the one on Sukhumvit & Soi 3 absolute disaster from the start.

End up all these hotels but nothing worth coming for

Are you not embarrassed ? how lazy can one be to not even bother to research statistics? Get your head out of the Pattaya forum, in Bangkok they dont follow flags around for hours . Bangkok is a different demographic and dont believe everything you read on TV

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

"Chinese visitors now account for 27 percent of all foreign travelers to Thailand.[13] It is estimated that the average Chinese tourist remains in the country for one week and spends 30,000–40,000 baht (US$1,000–1,300) per person, per trip.[14] The average Chinese tourist spends 6,400 baht (US$180) per day—more than the average visitor's 5,690 baht"

Your posts are cringe worthy but provide some light heated entertainment on a slow afternoon biggrin.png

I will second that. The Chinese tourist today are a lot different from the tour groups that came to Thailand 3-5 years ago. The Chinese in Bangkok are spending and some are spending big.

They line up outside expensive Taiwanese restaurants in Central Embassy, they are staying at Anantara (ex Four Season), Grand Center Point, etc. We have even had a few medical tourist at my building that stay 2 months while the wife give birth at a local hospital.

In more than a decade around Thailand and BKK, I don't think I ever stopped at Cheap Charlie's. Sitting outside in the heat in an alley for cheap drinks isn't quite my cup of tea.

But, the place is certainly a part of the tourist lore of Bangkok. And the loss of that, along with all the nearby restaurants on the subsoi behind Soi 11, will be a sad day. Especially since what they'll likely be replaced with will probably be entirely unremarkable and a cookie-cutter repeat of everything else being built around the area.

Exactly the same untold story of Imm Fusion Hotel,corner soi 50.The poor staff were laid off being told tempo closure for renovations towards the end of 2015.No renovation started, staff not getting paid and of course being a prime location 1 minute walk to On Nut BTS & LOTUS with expressway to the rear it is indeed going to greedy developers.I wonder if there are real buyers for the 10s of 1000s of condos going along Sukhummvit?

I live only 5 minutes walk from Imm Fusion and have stayed there before as well. It was very well run and had a distinctive Thai atmosphere which nearly all hotels lack. More condos? I know for a fact that the majority of the condos around the area are less than 50% occupied and many owned by chinese, Indian and other nationalities just as an investment but not occupied but with astronomical rent prices or sale prices. The greed of land owners is now destroying much of which attracted tourists to this city and causing the closure of many places thus slowly destroying the tourist industry which is a fundamental source of income for all, particularly the government. Contarary to statements we see about the increase in Tourists published by the government there is a very big decline. You only have to ask those working in the industry.

My girl friend manages a hotel here in Cm on our Road most of the hotels and guest houses are running below 50 percent, the exception is one hotel tied into the tour business and they have groups in and out every day. But also now is the traditional low season should pick up next month

May I suggest Pattaya, the City of Love.

Cheap as chips.

Beautiful ambience.

Warm all year round.

Experienced massage services to help relieve your muscle and joint aches.

And the best scenery in Thailand. (Most of these places open at 8pm)

Pattaya....O my Buddha.....want are you smoking??. The beach front is an open toilet and that is just the start.....endless bars, rip offs, and of course all the Chinese and their million and one bus parade going down Beach Road.....?

Not knowing much about business, I find it interesting that a bar can operate in the same location for 34 years and the owner(s) never have the cash/interest to purchase the land instead of renting. What would the reasons for that be? Obviously it's changed hands several times, does it just make enough to pay the rent and keep it ticking over?

Dives like this (and I don't mean that in a derogatory way) are considered an interim use of the land while the owner sits on it and the value goes up. Once it hits their price, or if they need the funds, they sell. They're often making more money on the land appreciation than on the rent.

There's no way a dive like the ones on that land could afford to buy the land and make a decent return on it. Unless they're just laundering money.

That's also how golf driving ranges and other unlikely businesses exist in the middle of town. They're just place holders generating a little income and keeping garbage dumps from sprouting, until it's time to develop the land.

Edited by impulse

• 2 weeks later...

A big chunk of my cost for my six months in Bangkok comes from the rent that I pay to Grande Centre Point. In the future, I'll try to find a nice six-month rental that is cheaper. I love the convenience and quality of GCP though. Also, I shop at Central Chidlom and the food is expensive there. I don't buy prepared food from their steam tables any more. The food sits there all day and accumulates considerable bacteria since it is not kept hot enough. Much of the prepared food just sits out at room temperature. I've taken to buying fresh fish, meat and vegetables and cooking them at home. Don't get food poisoning that way. I'll keep on wintering in Bangkok as I have been but if the price of goods and services keeps rising 10-15% per year eventually I'll be priced out.

You are off your rocker. Bangkok can be as cheap as you want it to be or expensive as you want

sounds like your eating at the Marriott every night and guzzling fine wines well then sure your gonna have gaping hole in your pocket

Bangkok much more expensive than Hong Kong ofcouse if compare simular.

And qality staff.

Not knowing much about business, I find it interesting that a bar can operate in the same location for 34 years and the owner(s) never have the cash/interest to purchase the land instead of renting. What would the reasons for that be? Obviously it's changed hands several times, does it just make enough to pay the rent and keep it ticking over?

Yep, you obviously don't know business, that bar occupies a fraction of the land in question and the owner wouldn't sell just a small part and the price of that land is probably about 200m baht a rai.

That land is worth circa 400m baht a rai when sold in plots with a combined size in excess of 1 rai.

200m a rai for that land wouldn't even get the owner out of bed.

Tokyo more expensive than Bangkok...I apologize to those in this cafe for laughing out loud.

To start making your case, let me know where in Tokyo you can rent a modern condo next to the subway, 1 bedroom, 50 sq m, for less than 20,000 baht per month.

Then point out the large plates of food down the street for less than 40 baht. Etc., etc.

Tokyo more expensive than Bangkok...I apologize to those in this cafe for laughing out loud.

To start making your case, let me know where in Tokyo you can rent a modern condo next to the subway, 1 bedroom, 50 sq m, for less than 20,000 baht per month.

Then point out the large plates of food down the street for less than 40 baht. Etc., etc.

Please. Don't encourage him.