Be Aware of the vehicle cameras Udon Thani- NongKhai!

hgma

How's this work for vehicles with no reg plate? I see many in Thailand

Yeh, they are lucky.

You'll have to know, this kind of speed controlle is for many years in many countrys in Europe, for example the Netherlands.

The different with the LOS is in the Netherlands it is practically impossible to drive without license plates, or fake licenseplates, because they check you everywhere.

But in LOS this obviously a very good opportunity to use fake plates, after all, in the 17 years I drive in Thailand, they never checked my licenseplates together with the blue book.

And yes, I forget to say, it happens to me already about 1 year ago, had my car parked in the parking at lotus, and after I come back from shopping, and I had to conclude to my surprise that my license plate was stolen.

After when I move to the office of registration, they did very difficult and did not help me because I had a car registered in Phuket, while I living in Cha-am, "if only I just wanted to go to Phuket".

But with some friendly relations, I got a new licenceplate.

So, after all I give you advice to mount the plates very carefully on the car with rivets or glue.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back home drivers would flash there lights to warn others of speed cameras ahead.......I cant quite see that happening herecheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Happens nearly always before Road Blocks. Sometime to late, sometime in time for me to reduce speed. ;-) thumbsup.gif

People flash me cuz I drive with my lights on, I'm not gonna be a Thai Uturn Statistic

Back home drivers would flash there lights to warn others of speed cameras ahead.......I cant quite see that happening herecheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Happens nearly always before Road Blocks. Sometime to late, sometime in time for me to reduce speed. ;-) thumbsup.gif

Problem is it happens everywhere else too!

Yes, Flashing happens on Highways, when a faster car want others make way in front or shall notice somebody is coming and nobody shall change lanes now.

But, I usually can differentiate, distinguish that from the flashing of more cars for a road block - police speed control place approaching. wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

People flash me cuz I drive with my lights on, I'm not gonna be a Thai Uturn Statistic

In Thailand flashing your head lights means dont go!

I remember when I 1st came to Thailand my driver was doing a u-turn, I told him, ok go he is flashing his lights, he said not that means I'm coming, I'm not stopping.

I would have been dead if I was driving.

I drive with lights on, only, if I go really - a "bit" faster, sometime racing a bit, with a other vehicle or vehicles on 2-3 lane Thai "Highways". . rolleyes.gif

I remember when I 1st came to Thailand my driver was doing a u-turn, I told him, ok go he is flashing his lights, he said not that means I'm coming, I'm not stopping.

"In Thailand flashing your head lights means dont go! "

When we writing here about Highways - one car approaching fast, that flashing of the fast approaching car, is also in my EU home country a sign for - take care - I come now!

= Not change lane and come in my way or - change lane and go out of my way!

A different story, when 2 cars come to a crossing - really slow or most times coming to a halt = stopping, then, the flashing can mean, looking at each other,

often with a waving hand - the other one can go first.

But please not think that, on a good speed on a Highway or nice straight. tongue.png wink.png

Install these all over Thailand and seize the vehicle after the fourth speed violation – sure to deter the morons who risk the lives of others and will most likely cause some drunk drivers to lose their vehicles as well.

Obey the speed limits and you want have to "beware" of any cameras.

They do !!! ...I was warned by flashing lights, a few times that there was police or a accident ahead !!!

Have you ever noticed the number of vehicles with a missing or have an extremely faded/almost unreadable "rear" tag, but the front tag looks fine. Usually this is intentional to help prevent (or at least make it much harder) systems such as described in the OP from being able to read/take a clear picture of your rear tag when speeding or running a red light.

Plus, when the "front" tag looks good you will not be stopped as you slow down for a police checkpoint due to a faded/unreadable tag.

Now in other cases where you get a ticket in mail (includes pictures of your vehicle and clear picture of your "front" tag) that camera system is focusing its efforts on people making illegal lane changes, entering a highway at a location meant only for exit (done all the time in Thailand especially here/around Bangkok), etc.

I've got one ticket by mail since being here for an illegal highway entry about a year ago...that is, entering onto another road where that point was meant exiting the other highway only...it basically just a hundred meter or so long stretch of a main road with frontage/side road running parallel/side-by-side and it can be an entry (or exit) point depending whether it's marked for exit only, entry only, or entry & exit. At this particular location in front of a large mall here in Bangkok everyone was using this point as entry and exit...but one day they installed cameras to enforce proper use...this location didn't have camera two years ago. I know here in Bangkok I'm seeing more and more cameras installed to enforce traffic rules.

The ticket included 3 pictures of my vehicle...all pictures of the front of my vehicle/the front tag as I started the highway entry, at mid point, and when completing the entry. Very clear pictures...they had me nailed. Fine was Bt800. I paid by mail; got the receipt of payment back well within a week. About a month later it was annual vehicle registration/road tax sticker time...when I went to the Land Transport Office to pay there was no problem...nothing in the system to stop the annual registration....but I expect if I had not paid the fine I wouldn't have been able to get my new annual sticker.

Now there was around a 6 week gap from the actual infraction and me getting the ticket in the mail. From the ticket it appears the photos are sent to a police official for verification & his signature an infraction did occur. So I'm assuming "a contractor" operates the system, does the initial ticket write-up, it then flows to a police department for review and approval, and then mailed to the address of vehicle registration (i.e., the address in the vehicle blue/green book).

Just as back home' the meaning of light flashing varies, depending on the circumstances.

Won't take long until they start busting people for flashing lights to warn others of a police check or speedcam.

Actually I've already heard stories of people having been pulled over for this.

Nowadays almost everyone has a smartphone with GPS in car. Time for social GPS apps... until they make them illegal as well. Could be.

Won't take long until they start busting people for flashing lights to warn others of a police check or speedcam.

Actually I've already heard stories of people having been pulled over for this.

Nowadays almost everyone has a smartphone with GPS in car. Time for social GPS apps... until they make them illegal as well. Could be.

Waze is what we use in the States, lets u know cops, construction pinch points

In the Netherlands they have these trajectory control cameras.

The 40 km stretch between Amsterdam and Utrecht generates over 30% of the speeding ticket revenue of the entire county.

This 40 km section is the straightest, flattest 10 lane highway you'll probably ever see. If it was in Germany, drivers would be going 200-250 kph. On this stretch the speed limit is 100kph.

A few miles south of Utrecht the road changes to a narrow, curving, uneven 4 or 6 lane road. The speed limit on that section? 130kph.

I doubt either country was thinking "safety" when they decided to put up these cameras. The Dutch were thinking "Easy Euros" and the Thai's, "free Baht".

In NL they went crazy installing red light cameras with radar speed cameras. Not through the intersection the millisecond the light turns red, get a 190 euro ticket. Speed up because it turned yellow, get a 40-80 euro speeding ticket.

They found the cameras actually caused more accidents at intersections. What did they do? Nothing because they generated too much income.

It's sad to see this new type of greed coming to Thailand.

The 40 km stretch between Amsterdam and Utrecht generates over 30% of the speeding ticket revenue of the entire county.

This 40 km section is the straightest, flattest 10 lane highway you'll probably ever see. If it was in Germany, drivers would be going 200-250 kph. On this stretch the speed limit is 100kph.

A few miles south of Utrecht the road changes to a narrow, curving, uneven 4 or 6 lane road. The speed limit on that section? 130kph.

I doubt either country was thinking "safety" when they decided to put up these cameras. The Dutch were thinking "Easy Euros" and the Thai's, "free Baht".

In NL they went crazy installing red light cameras with radar speed cameras. Not through the intersection the millisecond the light turns red, get a 190 euro ticket. Speed up because it turned yellow, get a 40-80 euro speeding ticket.

They found the cameras actually caused more accidents at intersections. What did they do? Nothing because they generated too much income.

But as I say before, in Thailand it is much more difficult for the government to get the money.

In the Netherlands on everycorner there is way to check your licenseplate, in Thailand in the last 17 years I drive a car, they never check my licenseplate with my registration book.

And I predict, if in Thailand expending of traject controlle, many people will use fake license plates at the backsite.

It already happens to me they steal 1 licenseplate from my car.

Now I glue them on the base, and drill out the screws.

It would sure be a lot easier to get away with it here, every single day I see cars without plates and nobody seems to care. I couldn't drive 1 km in the Netherlands without being stopped. I was stopped once and given a ticket because my annual vehicle inspection was overdue. Some cop driving behind me ran my plate out of boredom, lucky me. I have never seen a Thai cop make a traffic stop here. Cars drive past cops at night with their lights off and the cops don't even care. Speed past them and they ignore you.
I had a plate stolen off my car there but never lost one here. Why steal another plate if you can just take yours off.

But as I say before, in Thailand it is much more difficult for the government to get the money.

In the Netherlands on everycorner there is way to check your licenseplate, in Thailand in the last 17 years I drive a car, they never check my licenseplate with my registration book.

And I predict, if in Thailand expending of traject controlle, many people will use fake license plates at the backsite.

It already happens to me they steal 1 licenseplate from my car.

Now I glue them on the base, and drill out the screws.

Install these all over Thailand and seize the vehicle after the fourth speed violation – sure to deter the morons who risk the lives of others and will most likely cause some drunk drivers to lose their vehicles as well.

You want to have it same in your -home country- ? Or even more tight, OMG - blink.pngbah.gif

Is the fine mailed to the address on the license?

Good. My wife lives in Mae Hong son on the side of a mountain.

Mae Hong son license plate. Is this national or just local?

Does udon have a collector that goes to the house?

Perhaps the info is received at a checkpoint up the road and they just pull you over?

More info please.

OK , More info , just for you , traffic police , are waiting patiently, a few miles down , the road

where traffic flow is reduced to one lane , then speeders are pulled over .

How's this going to work for Lao licence plates? Every single day between just after 6am and almost 10pm (the opening hours of the bridge) guaranteed you can count about 50 Lao licence plates driving between Nong Khai and Udon at any one time.

Many of them speed, just like their Thai counterparts.

Are the police sending them fines to their home addresses in Vientiane? How do they enforce non-payment? Prevent said vehicles from entering Thailand?

Is the fine mailed to the address on the license?

Good. My wife lives in Mae Hong son on the side of a mountain.

Mae Hong son license plate. Is this national or just local?

Does udon have a collector that goes to the house?

Perhaps the info is received at a checkpoint up the road and they just pull you over?

More info please.

OK , More info , just for you , traffic police , are waiting patiently, a few miles down , the road

where traffic flow is reduced to one lane , then speeders are pulled over .

Why can't the fines be mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle? They have been doing that for at least 1-2 years now.

I got a speeding ticket a couple of months ago, was caught by a camera in Nakorn Ratchasima (didn't know they had cameras there) and it was mailed to me in Bangkok. Bangkok licence plate.

Don't see why Mae Hong Son would be any different. Laos, maybe. But that's because it's a different country.

How's this work for vehicles with no reg plate? I see many in Thailand

Yeh, they are lucky.

You'll have to know, this kind of speed controlle is for many years in many countrys in Europe, for example the Netherlands.

The different with the LOS is in the Netherlands it is practically impossible to drive without license plates, or fake licenseplates, because they check you everywhere.

But in LOS this obviously a very good opportunity to use fake plates, after all, in the 17 years I drive in Thailand, they never checked my licenseplates together with the blue book.

A better question which is very relevant in the Netherlands but not so much in Thailand - since you have freedom of movement for foreign registered vehicles, what happens when a German, Swiss or even British car gets caught by the police in Holland? Can they send a fine to the registered owner in that country? Even if they can, how do they enforce non-payment? With the EU's open borders, it's not like they could prevent you or your car from returning to Holland.

Also, how would they know if say a Polish plate wasn't fake? They might be able to recognize their own, but a foreign one?

Please enlighten me.

Have you ever noticed the number of vehicles with a missing or have an extremely faded/almost unreadable "rear" tag, but the front tag looks fine. Usually this is intentional to help prevent (or at least make it much harder) systems such as described in the OP from being able to read/take a clear picture of your rear tag when speeding or running a red light.

Plus, when the "front" tag looks good you will not be stopped as you slow down for a police checkpoint due to a faded/unreadable tag.

Now in other cases where you get a ticket in mail (includes pictures of your vehicle and clear picture of your "front" tag) that camera system is focusing its efforts on people making illegal lane changes, entering a highway at a location meant only for exit (done all the time in Thailand especially here/around Bangkok), etc.

I've got one ticket by mail since being here for an illegal highway entry about a year ago...that is, entering onto another road where that point was meant exiting the other highway only...it basically just a hundred meter or so long stretch of a main road with frontage/side road running parallel/side-by-side and it can be an entry (or exit) point depending whether it's marked for exit only, entry only, or entry & exit. At this particular location in front of a large mall here in Bangkok everyone was using this point as entry and exit...but one day they installed cameras to enforce proper use...this location didn't have camera two years ago. I know here in Bangkok I'm seeing more and more cameras installed to enforce traffic rules.

The ticket included 3 pictures of my vehicle...all pictures of the front of my vehicle/the front tag as I started the highway entry, at mid point, and when completing the entry. Very clear pictures...they had me nailed. Fine was Bt800. I paid by mail; got the receipt of payment back well within a week. About a month later it was annual vehicle registration/road tax sticker time...when I went to the Land Transport Office to pay there was no problem...nothing in the system to stop the annual registration....but I expect if I had not paid the fine I wouldn't have been able to get my new annual sticker.

Now there was around a 6 week gap from the actual infraction and me getting the ticket in the mail. From the ticket it appears the photos are sent to a police official for verification & his signature an infraction did occur. So I'm assuming "a contractor" operates the system, does the initial ticket write-up, it then flows to a police department for review and approval, and then mailed to the address of vehicle registration (i.e., the address in the vehicle blue/green book).

I got a speeding fine in the mail took them 4 weeks to send it I paid the day after the due date, not that that really matters and even sent an envelope in the mail as requested in the letter for a receipt. They never sent me the receipt, this was 2 months ago. Fine was 400 Baht.

You want to have it same in your -home country- ? Or even more tight, OMG - blink.pngbah.gif

Do I want Thailand to have as few road deaths as my home country? Absolutely. If juvenile morons want to kill themselves by being reckless they can do it somewhere where innocent people aren't put in danger.

That would be fantastic. I was fined there a few years ago. I was doing 80kph, while the limit was 120. Had the option....pay 200 baht no reciept, or go to the station, and pay 1000. Yes, you read it right. 40 kph below the limit <deleted>. Early retirement.

Do I want Thailand to have as few road deaths as my home country? Absolutely. If juvenile morons want to kill themselves by being reckless they can do it somewhere where innocent people aren't put in danger.

NO - I meant if you want all so tight controlled - same in your home country - I would not like that - because its to controlled!!!

Every stretch of straight can be restricted to a snails speed and same time you can be fined very high sums!!! Loose your license!

That is not for security that is same a new road tax and absolutely to tight! Chicane and harassment to make money! facepalm.gif

YES,

speeders make accidents and these make big waves in the media!bah.gif

BUT,

in my opinion, most accidents in TH, also most of the deadly ones, happen not from the speeders,

but from people who just do not know anything, - that you have to stop before you drive on a road,

or from a small to a bigger road on a junction

and from changing lanes without any looking,

special small moto, from left -hard shoulder - emergency lane- to right for a U-turn,

U-turners

and just everywhere some who cross roads - without much looking!

Not enough use of adequate helmets! Ect!

Your speeders - same in EU, a small percentage!

So your cameras ect - only for money for the Government same in EU! blink.pngwhistling.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

That would be fantastic. I was fined there a few years ago. I was doing 80kph, while the limit was 120. Had the option....pay 200 baht no reciept, or go to the station, and pay 1000. Yes, you read it right. 40 kph below the limit <deleted>. Early retirement.

Did since 1990 never happen to me your problem. lol

I always drive too fast, so they Boys in Brown never wrong. tongue.png

Huh? I have never heard anyone getting fined for driving too slow in Thailand. On any given road, you will see farm vehicles hurtling along at 30km/h, big bikes, BMW and Mercedes Benz Sedans as well as pickup trucks speeding along at 150km/h and the only ones that are caught are the fastest moving vehicles.

This is definitely a first.