Be Aware of the vehicle cameras Udon Thani- NongKhai!

hgma

Recently installed

Vehicle speeding camera's on the highway between Udon thani and Nongkhai

Getting caught = 1000 bath fine

Source. Social Vientiane Facebook user 11/6/2016

post-28792-0-97790600-1465605735_thumb.j

Edited by hgma

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the fine mailed to the address on the license?

Good. My wife lives in Mae Hong son on the side of a mountain.

Mae Hong son license plate. Is this national or just local?

Does udon have a collector that goes to the house?

Perhaps the info is received at a checkpoint up the road and they just pull you over?

More info please.

Edited by slipperylobster

More and more cameras installed.

Highway 2 through Khon Kaen City is plastered with cameras and many warning signs for the speed limit of 80 km/h.

In our district town they have some cameras at traffic lights.

800 Baht for continuing a turn on yellow light wink.png

Ticket with photo is sent to the registered address.

15 days to pay.

You can pay at the issuing police office or at Thai post (from what I read).

Recently there was a news story that they will soon open more payment channels.

How's this work for vehicles with no reg plate? I see many in Thailand

A good question wink.png

In my country it is a major offense and you will not be allowed to continue driving when caught.

Here it is just a minor misdemeanor. A few notes handed and off you go.

What a country.

Thumbnail picture looks ficticous.

If it is really like this , not only do you see those camera's from afar , but one of those high sugarcane trucks can take them out.

So many of the people with out of province plates are scr-wed , because they don't live at the address of the blue book. I haven't been there in 7 years.

Sad the see the western police state repression moving into Thailand , land of the free.

Yeh, they are lucky.

You'll have to know, this kind of speed controlle is for many years in many countrys in Europe, for example the Netherlands.

The different with the LOS is in the Netherlands it is practically impossible to drive without license plates, or fake licenseplates, because they check you everywhere.

But in LOS this obviously a very good opportunity to use fake plates, after all, in the 17 years I drive in Thailand, they never checked my licenseplates together with the blue book.

Thumbnail picture looks ficticous.

If it is really like this , not only do you see those camera's from afar , but one of those high sugarcane trucks can take them out.

So many of the people with out of province plates are scr-wed , because they don't live at the address of the blue book. I haven't been there in 7 years.

Sad the see the western police state repression moving into Thailand , land of the free.

I wanted to ask where the picture came from (OP added or from the sort of link?) because they are driving on the wrong side of the road - well actually maybe not so wrong after all........cheesy.gifwhistling.gif

Edit - yes I know it is half of a split carriageway.......

I am surprised that they have gone straight to average speed between points as I have only seen/heard of fixed radar up to now. Anybody know for certain any other locations have this set up?

Edited by topt

What is the speed limit?

Normally the same like written on the sign. If there is none, then it will be the same speed which you learned about when making your driving license. If all that does not apply, it will 90 km/h for cars and motorbikes, 80 km/h for pick-ups, buses or trucks, and 60 km/h for trucks with trailer.

Or, just obey the speed limit...and thank goodness the cameras are there to deter the others who would put my safety at risk.

I agree, but only if the speed limit sign is at the side of the road before you reach the cameras.

Unless of course the road has the maximum speed limit that every driver should know.

If the police are the same as the ones in Bangkok, there will probably be some sneaky goings on.

There is one just outside Nong Khai headed to Udon. It says 80 KPH. I never really noticed the 2nd set as pictured. If they are truly functionaly I should be getting a lot of tickets these days. As the old song goes, paraphrased, I can't do 80. Damn slow for a 4 lane seperated highway. Last ticket I got was well down the road from there, very polite, friendly, English speaking cops. 200 baht, sign the receipt, got an ice cream. Cop said see you around, I said "Oh, I hope not". Everybody had a good laugh. Hey the ice cream was good...lol.

Highway 2 through Khon Kaen City is plastered with cameras and many warning signs for the speed limit of 80 km/h.

15 days to pay.

15 days to pay! My mail takes 3 weeks!

We have all these cameras. Overhead, behind trees, at traffic lights but they do not seem to have any positive impact on the road toll.

Police are even introducing new and more convenient ways of making payments (credit and debit cards and in emergencies even payment to some officers personal bank accounts).

Surely it could not be that speed cameras about revenue raising for a variety of recipients rather than road safety. If it is then Thailand would be no different to anywhere else in the world.

15 days to pay.

I think 400 Baht? Got me driving into Khon Kaen, sent me photo - could recognize me - a bit. wink.png

Was sent to registered home from car owner.

A good question wink.png

In my country it is a major offense and you will not be allowed to continue driving when caught.

Here it is just a minor misdemeanor. A few notes handed and off you go.

What a country.

Reasons, I like Thailand rolleyes.gif

Back home drivers would flash there lights to warn others of speed cameras ahead.......I cant quite see that happening herecheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Happens nearly always before Road Blocks. Sometime to late, sometime in time for me to reduce speed. ;-) thumbsup.gif

Back home drivers would flash there lights to warn others of speed cameras ahead.......I cant quite see that happening herecheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Happens nearly always before Road Blocks. Sometime to late, sometime in time for me to reduce speed. ;-) thumbsup.gif

Problem is it happens everywhere else too!

In a previous life, I spent much of the time on the roads (UK) and found speed limits to be very restrictive (70mph). Over here though, I think the limits are probably more appropriate considering sudden changes in quality of the road, different driving styles (especially due to so many variations of vehicles (2,3,4 wheels plus commercial vehicles also having a wide variety of configurations) - Note: no Thai bashing on this post.

"what a wonderful example of social integration!".