Thai Amulet Necklace

Bmouthboyo

Hello all bit of a random one this,

I work have worked in Thailand for 3 years now and find the culture fascinating, particularly the superstitions. I am not religious however out of the various religions I admittedly know little about Budhism does seem one of the most sensible and peace loving. However I am not likely to start practicing any religion, although I do respect them.

I was always interested in the superstitious side of Thai religion, although I am aware this isnt strictly Buddhism and more old beliefs and customs the Thais blended with it. I have always liked Sak Yant tattoos but not being Thai feel this could come accross a bit strange, and I am hesitant to get tattoos altogether.

That has led me to be attracted to Thai amulets as a form of superstitious protection but I guess more the aesthetics of them that I like.

I would like a low hanging necklace with 1 or 2 (possibly 3 due to reading its better luck to have odd number?) amulets. I am not really aware of all the properties they are said to possess but I would like Protection and Health. Something along those lines. I have also liked the necklaces that have an enclosed scroll type cylinder at the back of the neck. Ideally I would like to have the pendants that would not be disrespectful given I am not Buddhist if possible? Can you wear only the magic types that are not Buddhist? 'Sai ya sart'?

I am not looking to sink sill amounts of money into this and really it is nice ornament I would wear sometimes and if not hang in my campervan back in the UK for good luck like taxi drivers here.

Can anyone offer any advice on this? Where I could buy from in Bangkok? Any trustworthy online stores or temples best? How do I know the prices and not get ripped off knowing I know every little?

Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. I know most people think these are a silly waste of money, I understand that and not professing they have magic powers. I really dont want this thread to turn into a argument or Thai bashing thread please.

I'd just go for it mate.

Amulets are renowned for their powers.

These things can save you from death, bring you extreme wealth and get you laid.

The more you have around your neck the more power they posess.

I wouldn't stop at 3, if I was you I'd go for at least 13...

You'd look the <deleted>...

Edited by Puyai

Wouldn't but in Bangkok, too many fakes.

Have a look around see different ones by different monks. The amulet will choose you.

I wear one, feel bare without it, im not religious but it has brought both good luck and money.

Mine was free, but I would pay if I wanted another that I was connected to.

Budhism does seem one of the most sensible and peace loving......OP

Every religions Holy book has their own version of peace & loving Bmouthboyo

Christians : have The Bible
Muslims : have The Qur'an
Americans : have the menu

......................................................coffee1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

every 7-11 have catelogs, just choose one, that looks you like.

the sak yants point is to be tied into your chant too, thats why girls would get clear see through ones, its the process, and your belief that matters, which may be pointless, your being from a non believing culture.

so just pick a wat, or abbot or one that looks nice, down by Tha Chang or whatever if it is still there.

One for protection against bullets, another for protection against road accidents, and one to protect you from gangs of rampaging Thai youths.

Don't forget to have the matching tattoos all over you body, else the magic won't work properly.

Edited by MissAndry

One for protection against bullets, another for protection against road accidents, and one to protect you from gangs of rampaging Thai youths.

Don't forget to have the matching tattoos all over you body, else the magic won't work properly.

most important is not to select amulets which cause bad luck when driving the wrong direction in a one-way street or getting caught nekkid with your neighbour's nekkid wife on a wednesday or saturday afternoon.

ermm.gif

I think westerners look ridiculous wearing these amulets, at least Thais have the excuse it's their culture.

It would be hidden under my clothes or hanging in my car. No offence but I'm not that concerned what a Thai thinks about how I look wearing one, pretty much 80% of their modern entire culture is taken from the west. I think even wearing yants on a necklace is a western thing coming from our crosses etc

Correct the wearing of the amulets, came from the West.

The amulet was originally designed to be placed at the point of worship.

The Thai culture is all about face, even as to who has the best and most expensive amulet, its all a bit sad really.

I would like a low hanging necklace with 1 or 2 (possibly 3 due to reading its better luck to have odd number?) amulets. I am not really aware of all the properties they are said to possess but I would like Protection and Health. Something along those lines. I have also liked the necklaces that have an enclosed scroll type cylinder at the back of the neck. Ideally I would like to have the pendants that would not be disrespectful given I am not Buddhist if possible? Can you wear only the magic types that are not Buddhist? 'Sai ya sart'?

I am not looking to sink sill amounts of money into this and really it is nice ornament I would wear sometimes and if not hang in my campervan back in the UK for good luck like taxi drivers here.

Can anyone offer any advice on this? Where I could buy from in Bangkok? Any trustworthy online stores or temples best? How do I know the prices and not get ripped off knowing I know every little?

In Bangkok, try the amulet markets near Wat Mahathat and Wat Ratchanadda. When speaking Thai, you don't "buy" (seu) amulets, you "rent" (chao) them. If you buy from a stall in a temple they will probably already have undergone the tham piti ceremony that gives them power - in a market, maybe not. The cylindrical ones are called tagroot. I don't see any problem with wearing Buddhist amulets, but Thais who see them might ask if you are a Buddhist.

Correct the wearing of the amulets, came from the West.

The amulet was originally designed to be placed at the point of worship.

The Thai culture is all about face, even as to who has the best and most expensive amulet, its all a bit sad really.

couldnt agree more

all about money and benefits too