Fake IDs in Bangkok

tomtom39

Hello everyone - my first post here smile.png

I am not asking where to get these fake IDs, but does anyone know if it is legal to buy & posses them?

Previously, I have read articles about this topic and it's somewhat clear that what the people manufacturing are doing is illegal but it's never mentioned if purchase and possession are illegal (and possible fines).

I am talking of course, about IDs of foreign countries (not fake Thai IDs).

Bonus Question: Would buying a "fantasy ID" - basically one that doesn't actually exist - make it legal?

Cheers,

Tom

Troll or not?

USING a "fantasy ID" for any purpose could be interpreted as attempted deception/fraud.

If I would show some "fantasy" driving license in my country I could get in deep s...

Edited by KhunBENQ

Troll or not?

USING a "fantasy ID" for any purpose could be interpreted as attempted deception/fraud.

If I would show some "fantasy" driving license in my country I could get in deep s...

Serious question, of course.

All these articles talk about the risks for sellers but never mention if buying/possessing is legal.

By "fantasy ID", I meant the ID of a country that doesn't really exist. Does anyone know what the law here is?

Using a fake ID as identification is illegal, it doesn't matter whether the issuing country exists or not. It's deception either way as any use of it would obviously be in some official capacity otherwise you wouldn't have to been asked to produce it.

Simply possessing a fake ID isn't illegal, per se, because it may not necessarily be utilised but the possession of one would suggest an intention to defraud or deceive so why have one in your possession?

i purchased a fake or copy ID card about two years ago to settle an argument with my boss over the quality of false ID'S available over here.

part of my job in Australia involves checking a government issued ID card to establish people bona fide's and there were a rash of these false ID cards circulating in Australia at that time.

it was an exact copy of the Australian card and nobody i showed it to could tell the difference between it and a legitimate card.

we ended up giving it to the department we deal with and they has started to issue a new type of card, which the locals will probably be able to copy soon.

i am not advocating the use of these cards, i am just saying they are available.

Rob