Diplomat: Qatar frees Dutch woman held after rape report

webfact

Diplomat: Qatar frees Dutch woman held after rape report

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Dutch Foreign Ministry spokeswoman says a 22-year-old Dutch woman detained in Qatar after she reported being raped months ago has been released after getting a year's suspended sentence.

Daphne Kerremans says the Dutch woman was released after a Monday hearing in Doha. Qatari officials didn't respond to requests for comment.

The woman's lawyer, Brian Lokollo, has told The Associated Press that his client, while on vacation with a friend, went out for drinks at a hotel bar in the Qatari capital in March.

Lokollo says she believes someone "messed with her drink" and her memory became hazy. He says she later awoke alone, her clothes torn and the victim of a rape.

The AP doesn't name victims of sexual assault.

Qatar will host the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-06-13

question: given the qatar history of dealing with stuff like this, why was she there at all?

and, failing to answer that one convincingly, why on earth did she report to the 'officials'???

Yes, very valid questions, especially since she apparently was not supposed to go to Qatar. And there are apparently many more.

Her talks with representatives of the Dutch embassy have apparently been inconsistent and resulted in different versions of what happened. Maybe understandable, but also leading to more doubts about what exactly has been going on.

Irregardless, this is what happens in backward, barbaric places like this. A woman is raped and gets charged for having one outside marriage. Their whole ethos is that since she went out to drink alcohol and have a good time, she asked for it. She was also fined. Why anyone would ever visit or work there is beyond me. The country would still be in the dark ages without oil. Backward and barbaric. bah.gif

question: given the qatar history of dealing with stuff like this, why was she there at all?

and, failing to answer that one convincingly, why on earth did she report to the 'officials'???

Question.

Given the history of Farangs being cheated and scammed in Thailand by women, why are you still here?

Because you can only be cheated and scammed if you allow it to happen. Rape is not so subtle, nor is the handling of rape complaints in a muslim country.

Question.

Given the history of Farangs being cheated and scammed in Thailand by women, why are you still here?

Because you can only be cheated and scammed if you allow it to happen. Rape is not so subtle, nor is the handling of rape complaints in a muslim country.

How do you allow yourself to be scammed? Please advise.

And why are we having the world cup there? I wonder if fans know that it is actually illegal to travel to such places with a 'girl friend' and stay in the same hotel room together. The authorities turn a blind eye until you require the police for anything. Say you were robbed the police come, ask where you are staying, when they find out your girl friend is in the same room you are both arrested for pre marital sex! Crazy but true. Safer to watch the world cup on the TV.

Question.

because it has not happened to me - so far, anyway.

only got done over by white women in germany and australia - and i am no longer there.

And why are we having the world cup there? I wonder if fans know that it is actually illegal to travel to such places with a 'girl friend' and stay in the same hotel room together. The authorities turn a blind eye until you require the police for anything. Say you were robbed the police come, ask where you are staying, when they find out your girl friend is in the same room you are both arrested for pre marital sex! Crazy but true. Safer to watch the world cup on the TV.

i think we all know why the world cup was awarded to qatar and from memory it involved something other than due process.

Question.

How do you allow yourself to be scammed? Please advise.

in thailand set one almost always involves falling in love with or marrying a thai woman. set two is the sinsot thing. step three is the lets build a house on my or my parents land thing. forgot also other steps such as buying cars/motorbikes gold and so on. despite this scam having gone on for decades it seems to be going just as strongly as ever.

I've been married for 4 years and known her for 7.Ive never been asked or had to pay any of those 4 steps you mention.I live in my wife's house,her family have their own money.I never paid that ridiculous sin sot shit,in fact it was her who told me not to.She is an older lady of 45 whose daughter is married and far away.And i have never bought stupid gold items.except for her wedding ring,and a few pair of earrings.Ive got my own car,she has her own MC.We were partners in a business for 5 successful years.We now live our lives in peace and quiet and occasional holidays.Oh1btw.the house is not on her land eitherI have money,which makes me independent,and my role is that i pay for Electric,water,gas,food and all other expenses such as anything to do with house maintenance,which i am quite capable of doing. My life is 'Dee,tuc wan'.

So i would like the Op to tell me where in this scenario,i am being scammed.As for set 1 well,i feel love,and i feel sorry for the likes of you that never will.

Question.

So do you actually believe that farangs in Thailand get "cheated and scammed" because they "allow it to happen"? If so, then they aren't really being cheated or scammed, are they?

Why an earth anyone bothers to visit these stone aged places where rape victims get charged themselves. If camels could only speak.

Do you know why in Qatar they call camels "ships of the desert"? Because they're full of Qatari seamen.

Why an earth anyone bothers to visit these stone aged places where rape victims get charged themselves. If camels could only speak.

Do you know why in Qatar they call camels "ships of the desert"? Because they're full of Qatari seamen.

coffee1.gif

You make it sound as if Qatar is a really dangerous place, it isn't. It is a strange story I think. I spent many years in Qatar with the family and never heard of the history you refer to.

Edited by gandalf12

I don't know the answer to your first question.

I think I read somewhere she was challenged by police or some other authority and did not instigate the contact with the Qatari justice system.

She of course was ignorant of the countries policies toward women..Ladies you are in a Muslim country where you are considered as little more as a slave.If not for having to deal with the western world there would still be a slave market in the open there.If you are traveling to the Middle East countries go with someone other then a venerable woman like yourself..Now you know that you can go to jail for being raped and your word in court means nothing of the account..Terrible lesson,learn from it and get checked out for any disease as some of these people are still "doing" goats.

I've been married for 4 years and known her for 7.Ive never been asked or had to pay any of those 4 steps you mention.I live in my wife's house,her family have their own money.I never paid that ridiculous sin sot shit,in fact it was her who told me not to.She is an older lady of 45 whose daughter is married and far away.And i have never bought stupid gold items.except for her wedding ring,and a few pair of earrings.Ive got my own car,she has her own MC.We were partners in a business for 5 successful years.We now live our lives in peace and quiet and occasional holidays.Oh1btw.the house is not on her land eitherI have money,which makes me independent,and my role is that i pay for Electric,water,gas,food and all other expenses such as anything to do with house maintenance,which i am quite capable of doing. My life is 'Dee,tuc wan'.

So i would like the Op to tell me where in this scenario,i am being scammed.As for set 1 well,i feel love,and i feel sorry for the likes of you that never will.

For every farang not scammed, I could probably easily find 10 that were.

Many of my disputes with my wife are caused by her family's belief that as a farang I should be giving them money.

I doubt she was a rape victim. More likely trying to get off the obligatory year in jail for adultery. I know one couple caught at it while visiting the UAE who got off it by getting married. Then they quietly got it annulled.

If she was shagging a local though, she would have had to turn Muslim too.

Edited by Chicog

Some background on this.

She was there with a friend' she hardly knew, this friend paid the plane ticket and accommodation for Laura. This friend has admitted she went there to work as a prostitute. After her arrest she told several, different stories, including one where she said she did it for the money. That seems to fit the plane ticket and accommodation paid by somebody else, and also the statement of the guy involved, who claimed he has paid her for her services.

After her arrest she initially refused every lawyer the Dutch embassy provided for her.

Some background on this.

She was there with a friend' she hardly knew, this friend paid the plane ticket and accommodation for Laura. This friend has admitted she went there to work as a prostitute. After her arrest she told several, different stories, including one where she said she did it for the money. That seems to fit the plane ticket and accommodation paid by somebody else, and also the statement of the guy involved, who claimed he has paid her for her services.

After her arrest she initially refused every lawyer the Dutch embassy provided for her.

V odd. Do you know the charge for which she was imprisoned?

Why would she refuse the lawyers offered by the Dutch embassy?

Not that I doubt what you are saying, its just that everything about this seems odd.