New Car Servicing Costs

IMHO

Seeing as this topic seems to get raised in various threads, and has lead to taking various threads way off topic, I thought I'd take the initiative and make a new thread just for the debate smile.png

To help you guys get it started off, I have prepared a quick comparison table for you to discuss:

post-163537-0-78181700-1466207688_thumb.

And some links so you can explore costs yourselves:

Toyota: http://www.toyota.co.th/customerservice/index.php?app=product&fnc=maintenance_lookup

Ford: http://www.ford.co.th/ford-owners/services/maintenance

Mitsubishi: http://mitsubishi-motors.co.th/th/after-sales/periodical-maintenance.html

And that will be my last involvement in it - over to you smile.png

IMHO, the prices seem similar across the board. The 5K premium on the tuna wouldn't stop me buying it but I wonder about non-routine parts, like fuel pumps, water pumps, air conditioner units or parts, and other stuff that tends to fail when they age. Is there a list like that?

I didn't care for how Toyota operates the 3-year "free" (labor) maintenance plan on the Fortuner we bought in 2013.

They run it on a "use it or lose it" method on set timing spread over the 3 year period, not how many KMs you actually have on the odometer. We got the notice in the post for our final check in the 3 year program, I presume they would of been using the 100,000km check list while, at the moment, we've only clocked up about 59-60,000km I think. Just let it go, done with Toyota.

Had the oil change done at PTT Fit. Had the tires balanced, rotated, alignment at B-quick, which was running a 50% off labor promo so the bill was only around 400 Baht, which I thought was pretty damn good.

A while back when I was in Dubai there was a comparison between the maintenance costs of the Fortuna and a Honda CRV. It came out that the CRV was cheaper overall to maintain than the Fortuna.

I was listening to the discussion on the radio as I drove home from work so I dont have the figures in hard copy unfortunately

Its not correct compare..

For Tuna and PJS its price not synthetic oil..

it's like comparing a full menu with vegetables, fruits, proteins etc with just rice, which clogs the stomach and no other components leads to scurvy..

rolleyes.gif ...

I would not be happy changing my oil and filter only every 15,000km, regardless of what the manufacturer suggests.

its real if change for synthetic oil.

And if you f..k engine with synthetic oil its 7-12k km

with not full synthetic oil or not synthetic oil its 4-7k km..

PS

it recomendation( minimum) normaly need look how your oil dirty..

And ford say about this :

Regular use Heavy-duty use* Every 9 months/ 15,000 km. Every 9 months/ 7,500 km.

*Heavy-duty use includes vehicles in the following conditions.

• Modified to use with LPG or CNG fuels
  • Always used in heavy-traffic conditions
  • Regularly used to travel short distances (8 km or less)
  • Regularly used in smoky, dusty or sandy areas
  • Regularly used at high speeds over a long period of time
  • Regularly used in rugged & tough terrain, as well as, in towing other vehicles
  • Regularly used in very hot or humid areas

Derogatory post Removed. This is not the first time I have reminded readers of this forum of the following rule -

If possible please proofread your post first, poor grammar and spelling can make the post difficult to understand. However be aware that not every member is a native english speaker and excessive posts regarding others spelling and grammar not only hijacks the topic but is poor netiquette.

English is not the first language of some posters. I have no problem in understanding most. If you can not, the polite and respectful way to resolve your misunderstanding is to ask for clarification.

Insulting, Flaming, Derogatory posts will be removed and the poster Warned.

IMHO, the prices seem similar across the board. The 5K premium on the tuna wouldn't stop me buying it but I wonder about non-routine parts, like fuel pumps, water pumps, air conditioner units or parts, and other stuff that tends to fail when they age. Is there a list like that?

Mitsubishi and Ford both used to publish spare part comparison prices with "Brand A" and "Brand B", but it seems both of them lost the page in their latest website redesigns.

Here's an example from the wayback machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20120601022148/http://www.ford.co.th/trucks/new-ranger/cost-of-ownership/part-price-comparison

it's like comparing a full menu with vegetables, fruits, proteins etc with just rice, which clogs the stomach and no other components leads to scurvy..

rolleyes.gif ...

Seems correct to me, those are the oils recommended by the manufacturer.

I didn't care for how Toyota operates the 3-year "free" (labor) maintenance plan on the Fortuner we bought in 2013.

They run it on a "use it or lose it" method on set timing spread over the 3 year period, not how many KMs you actually have on the odometer. We got the notice in the post for our final check in the 3 year program, I presume they would of been using the 100,000km check list while, at the moment, we've only clocked up about 59-60,000km I think. Just let it go, done with Toyota.

Had the oil change done at PTT Fit. Had the tires balanced, rotated, alignment at B-quick, which was running a 50% off labor promo so the bill was only around 400 Baht, which I thought was pretty damn good.

My experience is all manufacturers are like that. Kilometres or time, whichever comes first. Bought a Honda yesterday, service periods are 6 months or 10,000 km. Same on my motorbike, 6 months or 6,000 km.

Some engines need syn oil from new to "survive", to me that is a bit worrying. If an engine can use mineral or a semi-syn from new to me that is an engineering thumbs up...

All oil in a diesel goes dark in a short time, colour is not nesessarily an indication it is stuffed..

To me an engine that uses mineral oil in this day and age is an engineering compromise, obviously built with very loose tolerances to overcome basic inefficiencies in the core design.

rolleyes.gif ...

You say Toyota not recommended full synthetic oil in thei NEW engine?

cheesy.gif

rolleyes.gif ...

cheesy.gif

They are recommending the oil they specify. Why do you struggle with this ?

Some engines need syn oil from new to "survive", to me that is a bit worrying. If an engine can use mineral or a semi-syn from new to me that is an engineering thumbs up...

All oil in a diesel goes dark in a short time, colour is not nesessarily an indication it is stuffed..

1. If engine cant use full sintetic oil it sure VERY old engine!!!

2. if engine accept semi-syn and full synthetics i am sure with full synthetics will live longer with heavy use.

I am so sure that it put a bet on it..

clap2.gif

Why you start talk about dark?

and colour it so much nesessarily!!!

If oil even little be dark even on benzine/gasohol engine an this is engine not first from factory and not washed...

you got suck oil without any engine detergent additives - and it almost always mineral.

full synthetic oil is not seen so badrolleyes.gif

I hope to help you uppgrade your auto knowledge one more level.

ever too late to learn and never be ashamed. even 50 years oldthumbsup.gifwai.gif

rolleyes.gif ...

cheesy.gif

Which Toyota engine..?

You forget / do not see about what this is topic?

gigglem.gif

I can repeat / explain but I can not help you to understand such simple things.

REPEAT:

2.8 L disel in toyota Fortuner

model 1GD-FTV

Hope give full ansver?

I think many manufactures employ a similar 'use it or lose it method' with regards to maintenance...

I just found this out with my BMW - 18 months old, 9000km - we put it in for a service to be told that if we didn't we risked loosing the warranty.

I think this is fair enough, after all why should the manufacture have to pay for repairs *(under warranty) to a vehicle that has not undergone any servicing or maintenance?

I'm not sure which manufactures insist on meeting the maintenance schedule on a 'use it or loose' it basis, but perhaps the manufacturer needs to do a better job of informing the customer.

1. If engine cant use full sintetic oil it sure VERY old engine!!!

2. if engine accept semi-syn and full synthetics i am sure with full synthetics will live longer with heavy use.

I am so sure that it put a bet on it..

clap2.gif

Why you start talk about dark?

and colour it so much nesessarily!!!

If oil even little be dark even on benzine/gasohol engine an this is engine not first from factory and not washed...

you got suck oil without any engine detergent additives - and it almost always mineral.

full synthetic oil is not seen so badrolleyes.gif

I hope to help you uppgrade your auto knowledge one more level.

ever too late to learn and never be ashamed. even 50 years oldthumbsup.gifwai.gif

Sorry but you do not know what you are talking about or don't understand English...

My Pontiac 60 year old tech l ran on full synthetic when l rebuilt stuff.........

As for oil colour, do you put your hands inside your engine to wash the internals to get the stuck on residue out which colours new oil on oil change.....?rolleyes.gif

rebuilt!!!

PS

sorry for my English

about oil color i mean if NOT dark.. dark after few hundred km its normal even for benzine/gasohol engine if not get dark on used engine need worry you got suck oil in.

And wash or get out dirty oil residues not big problem and have many way.

but topic not about this is.

I think many manufactures employ a similar 'use it or lose it method' with regards to maintenance...

I just found this out with my BMW - 18 months old, 9000km - we put it in for a service to be told that if we didn't we risked loosing the warranty.

I think this is fair enough, after all why should the manufacture have to pay for repairs *(under warranty) to a vehicle that has not undergone any servicing or maintenance?

I'm not sure which manufactures insist on meeting the maintenance schedule on a 'use it or loose' it basis, but perhaps the manufacturer needs to do a better job of informing the customer.

Agreed. I didn't understand the program and after the 20,000 KM service visit, I contacted Toyota Thailand with my thoughts on how it was being carried out. They explained it. I 'get' it. Still, it just wrankled my sense of order and logic to be so far advanced on the maintenance checklists, apart from reality.

Yes...Rebuilt!!!... to handle horsepower it was not deigned for....smile.png

rolleyes.gif

I cant say add/drileed/ change set bolt on engineand and easy up 650-800 hp its "sure VERY old engine!!"

Its more look as "Some engines need syn oil from new to "survive""

You rebuilt Trans Am as i understand ( i think you mean 2 gen trasm am then say" My Pontiac 60 year old tech" but confused becouse it sure not 60 year old car) ?

This brings me to the confusion ... why? Why you do it if:

"to me that is a bit worrying.If an engine can use mineral or a semi-syn from new to me that is an engineering thumbs up..."

biggrin.png facepalm.gif

Sorry for my English

PS

no need ansver ITS offtop..

About topic I have said many times. that incorrect comparison

wai2.gif

Agreed. I didn't understand the program and after the 20,000 KM service visit, I contacted Toyota Thailand with my thoughts on how it was being carried out. They explained it. I 'get' it. Still, it just wrankled my sense of order and logic to be so far advanced on the maintenance checklists, apart from reality.
When you consider the target audience here, it makes perfect sense.

Agreed but at least not as bad as 2 year old Swift with only 6,800 odd kms. The 40k service it had was over 5k baht!

Archived