What's the benefit of a Curved TV screen

skippybangkok

post-25605-14663233430321_thumb.jpg

Have seen on the mobile side making curved screens - is kind stupid as I see people's web content curving around the edges making it less legible. What about TV screens - what's the benefit ?

One draw back I see already is glare

Cheers

Edited by skippybangkok

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Thailand I have large Samsung Uhd flat screen in the uk I have the Samsung suhd curved.When watching you don't notice the curve there are no reflections.You do sometimes get a 3D effect.The curved is the best picture but I think that is because of it being suhd.

I have a 65 inch OLED LG tv. It's curved but opposite to LED the screen looks the same from every angle. Actually the price of the one shown above is not too bad for a 78 inch. If you go higher than 55 inch prices of Tvs go up fast.

Edited by sniffdog

There is NO advantage, unless you, and you alone are the only one watching the TV and you ALWAYS sit at the focal point of the curve.

Like too many things, the curved screen is nothing more than a marketing gimmick aimed at the unwashed masses.

If you get 3 or 6 of them and play a FPS game in eyefinity or vision surround I could imagine the benefit.

However it's pointless as it will probably have lots of input lag/latency V's a monitor.

I think it's a gimmick personally.

They noticed there was still more money to be squeezed out of the look how much I spent on a TV crowd.

I understand getting a high end screen for your phone, but TV's give me no thrill at all. Pretty much any TV does the job these days.

Curved screens work alot better with ultra wide computer monitors as your much closer, with tvs i personally prefer flat screen unless its frigging massive but then the cost is usally obscene

Samsung edge phones are pretty cool too, you have a bigger screen then what is possible in a traditional flat screen phone in the same sized phone. Also just because the screen curves away at the edges dosnt mean those bits are eligable, the image is stretched slightly so when you look at it square on, its like looking at a normal screen

Dont knock it till you tried it

Edited by Jdiddy

They noticed there was still more money to be squeezed out of the look how much I spent on a TV crowd.

I understand getting a high end screen for your phone, but TV's give me no thrill at all. Pretty much any TV does the job these days.

You obviously have never experienced 1080p or 4k. You're much more an iflix guy than a netflix person. You are satisfied with your current 14 inch tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've struggled to understand the point of curved screens, as i think has Samsung.

My daughter up to very recently worked for HP, and she recounted a marketing meeting discussing their new curved Monitor line.

The engineers at the meeting concluded that they could see some advantage for a screen being viewed up to 24inches away..after that they were scratching their heads

IMAX camera are unique and built for the iMax standard, they are highly expensive and there are only a few in the world, which is probably why iMax has not become a mainstream media format.

Well, that and the fact that not many of us have a 70 foot screen to watch it on.

You obviously have never experienced 1080p or 4k. You're much more an iflix guy than a netflix person. You are satisfied with your current 14 inch tv.

I have. My brother has always had the biggest and best of all things, particularly TV's. I have seen all the generations of improvement.

Also, they do let you see them in the shops. You really have to use your imagination to see the differences between the high end and top end ones. People who are having an ethereal experience watching a 200,000 baht TV have very active imaginations.

I bought a TV last year for 10,000 baht and we all think it is just fine. That is 1/26th of the price of the one in the OP at sale price.

I have. My brother has always had the biggest and best of all things, particularly TV's. I have seen all the generations of improvement.

Also, they do let you see them in the shops. You really have to use your imagination to see the differences between the high end and top end ones. People who are having an ethereal experience watching a 200,000 baht TV have very active imaginations.

I bought a TV last year for 10,000 baht and we all think it is just fine. That is 1/26th of the price of the one in the OP at sale price.

a year ago i bought a 70" Sony and paid 99k Baht (speical offer donwn from 129k. my dogs and i think it's just fine and that it was not necessary to buy the 85" for 189kBaht wink.png

As I said there are people who think 100 baht for iflix gets them on the first row, while netflix for a couple of hundred baht more gets them much better quality.

You being satisfied with a 10,000 baht tv tells me the whole story.

A 1978 VW Beetle might get you from A to B, but there are so more comfortable more expensive options.

Edited by sniffdog