staying in thailand year after year - visa

OP did say he was not rich, but not sure if that means: only have 50 THB or if that means: I only have 100k plus a trust fund that gives me 50k/year. Rich is not very specific.

Lots of not-rich people can get the Thailand Elite card. If you can not afford the Thailand Elite card then you might want to also check how you will afford to live in Thailand. Not saying you can't, but just how poor are you? smile.png Those who ARE rich can just get Investment Visas/etc.

And a few points:

​Thailand does not discrminate against under 50s. Not many countries in the world even offer a retirement visa, so one should be pleasantly surprised Thailand does. And at age 50 no less (rather than the normal retirement age of 65+). The reason it isn't lower is because under 50 you really gotta ask: Why are you retiring so young?! (Not many people are under 50 and in a position to retire comfortable... for those who can, they offer the Thailand Elite card and Investment Visas).

Thailand offers more options and greater flexibility to stay here for long periods of time (years) than most other countries in the world. So one should not complain they don't just give a free pass to everyone. They give a lot more than most places as it is.

If you cannot afford a Thailand Elite card *AND* can not afford doing return trips home for an METV *AND* can not afford to do trips to the border for SETV, then you really need to take a good hard look at your financial situation. Thailand is not here to try and take care of people who are scraping by. No country is.

There are plenty here that scrape by and have done for years but they don't ask Thailand to take care of them as they know what the answer will be

You should not judge other peoples financial situation if it does not affect you

I cannot afford the TE but I am not a burden on Thailand and nor will I ever will be

Sorry for the phrasing. By 'take care' I was referring to Supplying Visa Solutions. I did not mean take care in the sense of providing financial assistance or the like. Sorry for the confusion.

It was meant to emphasize that Thailand is not going to go more out of its way to grant new visa types/regulations for those who can not afford the ones in place already.

And to be perfectly honest, if one is trying to stay here 'long' time (year + ) you are not really a 'tourist' anymore. I think this starts to fall under Immigrant.

Imagine if Thailand introduced similar rules that the EU/Schengen has: Maximum of 3 months in a 6 month period.

No METVs, No back-to-back SETV, not even constant border runs for Tourist Visa. No retirement visa, no investment visa (except maybe with 10M USD). What would happen then?

Foreigners trying to marry Thai girls like women trying to marry US men to get citizenship? :) Oh the irony.

It would be one way to boost sales in Thailand Elite :)

And again, to be perfectly honest: Staying here for more than 6months continuously you really are less a tourist and more a something else (immigrant, alien resident, etc.)

But Thailand is not like most other European/Western countries and it has extended many options for foreigners :)

• Like 2

OP did say he was not rich, but not sure if that means: only have 50 THB or if that means: I only have 100k plus a trust fund that gives me 50k/year. Rich is not very specific.

Lots of not-rich people can get the Thailand Elite card. If you can not afford the Thailand Elite card then you might want to also check how you will afford to live in Thailand. Not saying you can't, but just how poor are you? smile.png Those who ARE rich can just get Investment Visas/etc.

And a few points:

​Thailand does not discrminate against under 50s. Not many countries in the world even offer a retirement visa, so one should be pleasantly surprised Thailand does. And at age 50 no less (rather than the normal retirement age of 65+). The reason it isn't lower is because under 50 you really gotta ask: Why are you retiring so young?! (Not many people are under 50 and in a position to retire comfortable... for those who can, they offer the Thailand Elite card and Investment Visas).

Thailand offers more options and greater flexibility to stay here for long periods of time (years) than most other countries in the world. So one should not complain they don't just give a free pass to everyone. They give a lot more than most places as it is.

If you cannot afford a Thailand Elite card *AND* can not afford doing return trips home for an METV *AND* can not afford to do trips to the border for SETV, then you really need to take a good hard look at your financial situation. Thailand is not here to try and take care of people who are scraping by. No country is.

There are plenty here that scrape by and have done for years but they don't ask Thailand to take care of them as they know what the answer will be

You should not judge other peoples financial situation if it does not affect you

I cannot afford the TE but I am not a burden on Thailand and nor will I ever will be

Sorry for the phrasing. By 'take care' I was referring to Supplying Visa Solutions. I did not mean take care in the sense of providing financial assistance or the like. Sorry for the confusion.

It was meant to emphasize that Thailand is not going to go more out of its way to grant new visa types/regulations for those who can not afford the ones in place already.

And to be perfectly honest, if one is trying to stay here 'long' time (year + ) you are not really a 'tourist' anymore. I think this starts to fall under Immigrant.

Imagine if Thailand introduced similar rules that the EU/Schengen has: Maximum of 3 months in a 6 month period.

No METVs, No back-to-back SETV, not even constant border runs for Tourist Visa. No retirement visa, no investment visa (except maybe with 10M USD). What would happen then?

Foreigners trying to marry Thai girls like women trying to marry US men to get citizenship? smile.png Oh the irony.

It would be one way to boost sales in Thailand Elite smile.png

And again, to be perfectly honest: Staying here for more than 6months continuously you really are less a tourist and more a something else (immigrant, alien resident, etc.)

But Thailand is not like most other European/Western countries and it has extended many options for foreigners smile.png

I have been here over 10 years, I know I am not a tourist, I utilize the visa options Thailand offers me

People who are on Non O etc are not special or any different, they are just lucky that Thailand offers visa options for them

No retirement visas, no business visas no etc etc, what would happen then?

Your posts are sanctimonious and to be honest pointless, you are no different to me, just lucky Thailand offers you a visa for the situation you are in

For some reason people who are lucky enough to qualify for these visas look down on those who have to survive here on TV's etc

You are no different to me, just lucky, I would love all these Non O's etc to stop to see your reaction then

• Like 1

And a few points:

Foreigners trying to marry Thai girls like women trying to marry US men to get citizenship? smile.png Oh the irony.

But Thailand is not like most other European/Western countries and it has extended many options for foreigners smile.png

I have been here over 10 years, I know I am not a tourist, I utilize the visa options Thailand offers me

People who are on Non O etc are not special or any different, they are just lucky that Thailand offers visa options for them

Your posts are sanctimonious and to be honest pointless, you are no different to me, just lucky Thailand offers you a visa for the situation you are in

For some reason people who are lucky enough to qualify for these visas look down on those who have to survive here on TV's etc

You are no different to me, just lucky, I would love all these Non O's etc to stop to see your reaction then

I'm sorry if I sound sanctimonious, I really do not mean to. Perhaps I express myself wrongly, but my only point really is that Thailand offers many Visa Options, far more than other countries, and we really shouldn't be insisting that it offers even more (so far as to say open door policy).

As for me, if they completely blocked all options except retirement, then I would just live in another country. Not that big of a deal. (As it is I already live in multiple countries and move between them all the time). Singapore is easy enough to have as a SE Asia base to retire in (investment/business visa options).

I would not 'want' them to stop/add anything to their visa policy. It does not bother me how someone else chooses to stay here. The only thing I wish to draw attention to is asking for even more options may be taking for granted the multitude of options already available that exceed other countries.

but i have heard many people have lived there for many many years under the same conditions. just havent spoke with them, so i dont know what they do

What they do is either have sufficient funds already, or have a marketable skill that enables them to be employed in Thailand. Dreams aren't enough.

You just cannot walk into someone else's country and stay and that applies everywhere, some of the guy's have told you what is required , maybe , what you will be asked is to show a return ticket out, they may even ask that you show that you are financial also ,Thai immigration ( Like any other ) can be pretty serious when they want to be. .........................................coffee1.gif

There isn't a visa for you.

sure there is

http://www.thailandelite.com/tpc_news_view.php?id=6

Elite visa good for 5 years, than renew

or every 9 months return home and get a METV

"i want to stay in thailand for as long as possible ( rest of my life if possible )

im 34, not rich, not married or working or any thing else, i just want to live there with at less hassle as possible?"

Does that sound like someone able to pay 500,000 baht every 5 / 6 years. "Not rich" (I don't have any money) is subjective, but I doubt this young man has the finances to support himself here long term, without working, regardless of the visa he has.

I came to Thailand in my 30's but I was working in other countries and spending my R&R here. Without an income I would not advise coming, it will only lead to serious problems. On the flip side if you have a job here then fine or a job anywhere else come fro holiday's and either get a visa or be visa exempt. If you want to stay say 1 year then as many here have said the Elite visa is the way to go.

One thing I would strongly advise against is trying to be clever and over stay whatever visa you come in on. Get caught and you will be banned for many years. Stick legit it isn't free but it is the best option.

I am married to a Thai and am over 50 so I can get either a Thai Visa visa or a retirement visa. As I say there are not much options at your age.

The big one is do not come here thinking you will get by with just a few dollars you wont

I came here retired at 41, initially on tourist visas but then on Non-Imm O based on volunteer work until I was 50, then went for the Retirement Permit. During that time there were a few hiccups with tourist visas and scaremongering but I managed to muddle through OK.

No visa is guaranteed, particularly in the current climate. Be prepared that things could change at short notice, leaving you high and dry. This is not scaremongering just a reality of life here.

Even the Elite Visa, which personally I consider to be an expensive option, is subject to conjecture about its future on occasion.

PS- I have no idea why the text has jumped!

• Like 1

but i have heard many people have lived there for many many years under the same conditions. just havent spoke with them, so i dont know what they do

What they do is either have sufficient funds already, or have a marketable skill that enables them to be employed in Thailand. Dreams aren't enough.

Dreams are a start - but yes, draw up a budget first.

Re: other posts above -

Thailand already offers a 'budget' "pay as you go" option to stay here. Using the Tourist Visa system, "Sufficient Funds" = enough to cover personal-costs, plus visa-runs, plus a new passport every 2 years or so. Figure 30K to 40K Baht/yr for the visa-factor, depending on how you travel and where you stay on your trips. Yes, it is a bit of a pain to sustain, but fully legal and do-able.

As to those 'marrying for visas', you can bet this happens a hundred times per day, here - but for a completely different reason than immigration to 'moneyed' countries. Even if you get married, there is no basket of 'handouts' to access - on the contrary, you just inherited a new extended-family who you are expected to support. People come here because they love it here - not for handouts which do not exist.

Because Thailand does not have massive social-welfare systems - for married, retired, tourist or otherwise - I can find no reason to even draw the comparison to Eurozone and similar visa-options. Even the 'less wealthy' farangs who live here spend foreign-capital into the country - vs drain it out. If that means supporting food-vendors on their selangs (moto-carts), vs the Hyatt dining room - or people like me who are somewhere in-between - it makes a big difference to millions of Thai families (who don't have a welfare safety-net, either).

As to how much money Thailand could make on Elite by dumping the other options - much, much less in overall net-revenue. That move would only be good for the condo-markets and coffers of Cambodia and the Philippines. Setting a price to maximize profits requires matching supply and demand. I suggest what a middle-class retiree could afford - 40K/yr (~110% the cost of tourist-visa runs or the crooked-schemes going straight to the govt). Sales would go up by 50-fold at least - and if that sound like too much, figure only a 3x increase would exceed what they receive, presently.

• Like 1

I came here retired at 41, initially on tourist visas but then on Non-Imm O based on volunteer work until I was 50, then went for the Retirement Permit. During that time there were a few hiccups with tourist visas and scaremongering but I managed to muddle through OK.

No visa is guaranteed, particularly in the current climate. Be prepared that things could change at short notice, leaving you high and dry. This is not scaremongering just a reality of life here.

Even the Elite Visa, which personally I consider to be an expensive option, is subject to conjecture about its future on occasion.

Correct that nothing in this world is 100% guaranteed but the Thai Elite Visa is stamped in your passport for 5 years and when they decided to suspend the programme once before, members were guaranteed to keep what they had paid for. Now the amount of countries that are growing where the TE Visa is being promoted, China, Myanmar, Cambodia etc It can only go on growing. Of all the long term visa options, I would bank on the Thai Elite Visa which is a 100% Government backed programme, being the safest long term option.

elite visa is the perfect visa solution for someone under 50 who has no thai children or wife. people who have this visa speak very highly of it, seems everyone else complains about it without giving any valid reasons. it works out at about 3000usd per year which is not a massive chunk out of someone who can afford to live in thailand self funded. the programme has been running for a long time and is tried and tested. i am still waiting for one good reason as to why this is not a good option to stay in thailand long term.

elite visa is the perfect visa solution for someone under 50 who has no thai children or wife. people who have this visa speak very highly of it, seems everyone else complains about it without giving any valid reasons. it works out at about 3000usd per year which is not a massive chunk out of someone who can afford to live in thailand self funded. the programme has been running for a long time and is tried and tested. i am still waiting for one good reason as to why this is not a good option to stay in thailand long term.

I do think the Thai govt will keep their promise, so it is a good option for those that think 500,000 Baht up-front for a 5-year visa is affordable ($150K USD /yr from $2.5M USD invested?) and who are absolutely certain they will stay here for 5-6 years.

That said, I earn many times the average Thai salary, and live here quite comfortably (condo by the beach), and there is no way I would "spend" that much money at once on a visa for any country (even if I were still only 44 and could get full-value). Would I put it in the bank in my name, like 50+ people can, to prove I can support myself? Sure.

The real question is, why limit the age to 50 for those who can show 800K in the bank? Maybe throw in "if the balance dips below the minimum, your have 24 hours to get out," like work-visas. Why send middle-class people to the Philippines and Cambodia to spend their 500K to 1.5M Baht /yr of foreign-sourced income? How does that benefit Thailand in any way?

The tourist visa plan, whether using the single-entry or multi-entry variant (the latter of which can only be obtained from one's own home country I thought), doesn't sound like a recipe for long-term success since it depends on the goodwill of the Immigration Officer on each and every one of your entries. One IO, somewhere, someday, up & decides you're "not a tourist" and the visa you thought was your guarantee of entry is suddenly not worth the page it's taking up in your passport. (And remember, the visa-issuing authority of the consulate/embassy and the immigration authority at your point-of-entry are two different arms of the Thai government.) So depending on a back-to-back succession of tourist visas for the next 16 yrs (at which point you'd be eligible for a retirement visa if you have adequate funds and things don't change) seems like quite a stretch in this day & age. Years ago it wouldn't have been a problem.

Edited by hawker9000

I do think the Thai govt will keep their promise, so it is a good option for those that think 500,000 Baht up-front for a 5-year visa is affordable ($150K USD /yr from $2.5M USD invested?) and who are absolutely certain they will stay here for 5-6 years.

That said, I earn many times the average Thai salary, and live here quite comfortably (condo by the beach), and there is no way I would "spend" that much money at once on a visa for any country (even if I were still only 44 and could get full-value). Would I put it in the bank in my name, like 50+ people can, to prove I can support myself? Sure.

The real question is, why limit the age to 50 for those who can show 800K in the bank? Maybe throw in "if the balance dips below the minimum, your have 24 hours to get out," like work-visas. Why send middle-class people to the Philippines and Cambodia to spend their 500K to 1.5M Baht /yr of foreign-sourced income? How does that benefit Thailand in any way?

there is no reason to limit the retirement age to 50. think they just like to have the control over us. 50 is not bad however as in many countries it is 60 or even 65.

The tourist visa plan, whether using the single-entry or multi-entry variant (the latter of which can only be obtained from one's own home country I thought), doesn't sound like a recipe for long-term success since it depends on the goodwill of the Immigration Officer on each and every one of your entries. One IO, somewhere, someday, up & decides you're "not a tourist" and the visa you thought was your guarantee of entry is suddenly not worth the page it's taking up in your passport. (And remember, the visa-issuing authority of the consulate/embassy and the immigration authority at your point-of-entry are two different arms of the Thai government.) So depending on a back-to-back succession of tourist visas for the next 16 yrs (at which point you'd be eligible for a retirement visa if you have adequate funds and things don't change) seems like quite a stretch in this day & age. Years ago it wouldn't have been a problem.

i had put a bit of thought into this while i was working in thailand. what i would do for a visa if i stayed in thailand if i stopped working and no longer had my non im B. surely having to fly home every 9 months to get a new METV would work out about the same as the elite. alot more work and hassles and no gaurntee of actually getting the METV. would be interesting to hear from anyone who actually stays he by that option. not that it will help the OP as he has no job or no money.

Just taking a guess here but upon thinking about it I think they make it 50 years old to limit those that would work on a retirement visa. Some people say if you are under 50 and can prove you have the money to live here then you should be allowed. That's exactly what the elite visa achieves. Some people would like it to be 100,000 payable annually. I think this would set the bar too low and people would work (illegally) and pay it off in installments. The 500 up front shows that people have more than a passing commitment to be in Thailand and makes it out of the reach for the people like the OP. It is unlikely somebody would use their last 500K to buy this visa. Only a person with a certain amount of financing behind them is going to find value in having to spend 500K and I think this line is drawn very much intentionally.

I don't mean that in a nasty way but if you do not have 500K and come here and you don't have a work permit, what are the options? Somebody in that financial situation would have to work illegally. This is why you are not likely to ever see TE program at any lower price. don't get me wrong I would love it if I could have got the elite visa and only had to pony up 100K. I am not against it but thinking as to the reasons why Thailand may not think this is a wise move.

As far as the program being canceled in the future that could be but I find it unlikely that they would revoke current visas. They may not offer new ones in the future but the program was suspended before and they honored the arrangement with those who held a TE visa.

There really is no legal path for somebody in the OP's situation to live here given his financial situation. He could get a variety of visas but assuming he likes to sleep under a roof and eat he would end up having to work and that is illegal. Maybe teaching English would be an option for him and that would give him that work permit.

There is no legal long term visa for somebody who is absolutely broke to come live here. Why not try Cambodia? Similar climate, inexpensive and they hand out visas to just about anybody. This seems to be the most popular alternative to people with visa problems these days in Thailand.

As long as you do not try to re-enter at an airport (where you could be sent a long way away), you simply walk away and enter at a different time and/or border-post. The visa you obtained is still a valid, legal visa with an 'enter before' date 90 days in the future. Even though it is highly unlikely you will be denied-entry if you have 20K Baht in-hand, I always caution those living here this way, never "assume" that you will "be right back" from a visa-run.

As to planning to do this for 16 yrs in the future - that is a long time to be 'sure' a person wants to live anywhere - especially a young person. My advice is to always have a couple other countries in mind for backup, in case do not want to, or cannot (due to legal/policy changes), continue to live in Thailand. Be prepared to move there for months, if need be, on short notice.

For single under-50s who cannot afford the 'elite' solution, but earn 2 to 5 times what it costs to live in thailand self funded, this is the only available and legal solution, for the time-being.

So what happens when you get stamped out of a country and then refused entry to Thailand? For example you exit Cambodia with your exit stamp and then Thailand refuses you entry? Is Cambodia obligated to let you back in? Sorry for the stupid question just don't know how this works at a land border.

• Like 1

How I managed it isn't "Rocket Science" as they say.

I went into the Army at age 18, and went to an Army technical school to learn how to repair all types of electronic equipment.

Worked doing that for 45 years with different employers, ending up troubleshooting computer communications systems before I retired.

That career gave me the money to once or twice yearly to come to Thailand for a week or two "holiday" when I wanted to.

One step at a time..... that is still how you get somewhere.

Always has been that way.

Just taking a guess here but upon thinking about it I think they make it 50 years old to limit those that would work on a retirement visa. Some people say if you are under 50 and can prove you have the money to live here then you should be allowed. That's exactly what the elite visa achieves. Some people would like it to be 100,000 payable annually. I think this would set the bar too low and people would work (illegally) and pay it off in installments. The 500 up front shows that people have more than a passing commitment to be in Thailand and makes it out of the reach for the people like the OP. It is unlikely somebody would use their last 500K to buy this visa. Only a person with a certain amount of financing behind them is going to find value in having to spend 500K and I think this line is drawn very much intentionally.

I don't mean that in a nasty way but if you do not have 500K and come here and you don't have a work permit, what are the options? Somebody in that financial situation would have to work illegally. This is why you are not likely to ever see TE program at any lower price. don't get me wrong I would love it if I could have got the elite visa and only had to pony up 100K. I am not against it but thinking as to the reasons why Thailand may not think this is a wise move.

As far as the program being canceled in the future that could be but I find it unlikely that they would revoke current visas. They may not offer new ones in the future but the program was suspended before and they honored the arrangement with those who held a TE visa.

There really is no legal path for somebody in the OP's situation to live here given his financial situation. He could get a variety of visas but assuming he likes to sleep under a roof and eat he would end up having to work and that is illegal. Maybe teaching English would be an option for him and that would give him that work permit.

There is no legal long term visa for somebody who is absolutely broke to come live here. Why not try Cambodia? Similar climate, inexpensive and they hand out visas to just about anybody. This seems to be the most popular alternative to people with visa problems these days in Thailand.

Not having 500K to 'spend on a visa' (versus in the bank), in no way implies a person cannot support themselves independently in Thailand, nor does "being over 50" lessen the liklihood that a person could work illegally. For the latter, the law would have to state that to qualify for retirement, a medical exam must show the applicant has lost all 'work-useful' mental and/or physical functions (some of us prefer to retire before that happens). The logic follows, all persons, including over 50s, should have to "pay for the Elite to prove themselves," or leave. But that would take Billions of Baht of foreign-income out of the Thai economy. I suggest adding Billions more, instead.

I am not bashing the Elite option, only pointing to the huge gap between the incomes of "people who can afford the Elite" and "people who can afford to live self-supported in Thailand" - as many over-50s and other Non-O-qualifying persons in that income-range do, right now.

There is no way someone a reasonable person would pay 100K/yr - I suggest even 40K/yr - from income derived from a typical job in Thailand. There are certainly jobs that reach that bar here, but those include work-permits and meet B-Visa qualifications.

As to the OP, we never got clarification on what his exact finances were. If he is literally "broke," and has no job or income, then no country is viable for sleeping indoors and eating - even his own - unless he qualifies for welfare payments there. Cambodia would also be my recommended option if he needs to find a local job, or has a foreign-sourced income less than 40K Baht/mo. It is also a good 'backup plan' for anyone who is here on Ed or Tourist Visas, should Thai laws/policies be changed.

• Like 1

So what happens when you get stamped out of a country and then refused entry to Thailand? For example you exit Cambodia with your exit stamp and then Thailand refuses you entry? Is Cambodia obligated to let you back in? Sorry for the stupid question just don't know how this works at a land border.

Cambodia is not 'obligated' to let you in, but they will happily sell you a new Cambodian Visa On Arrival - perhaps even reinstate your old one for a 'fee' (everything there boils down to a 'fee'). The only 'denied' reports I can think of were people attempting Visa-Exempt entries.

There are no reports I recall of anyone being turned away at the Laos border with a valid Tourist Visa, nor at Pedang Besar on the Myanmar border (avoid Sadao).

• Like 1

Thanks was just wondering if people have ever got stuck in no mans land after being refused into Thailand.

There was some discussion about someone without the required months pre-expiry of their passport to permit entry into Cambodia, but that is the only scenario I am aware of.

I'm sorry if I sound sanctimonious, I really do not mean to. Perhaps I express myself wrongly, but my only point really is that Thailand offers many Visa Options, far more than other countries, and we really shouldn't be insisting that it offers even more (so far as to say open door policy).

As for me, if they completely blocked all options except retirement, then I would just live in another country. Not that big of a deal. (As it is I already live in multiple countries and move between them all the time). Singapore is easy enough to have as a SE Asia base to retire in (investment/business visa options).

I would not 'want' them to stop/add anything to their visa policy. It does not bother me how someone else chooses to stay here. The only thing I wish to draw attention to is asking for even more options may be taking for granted the multitude of options already available that exceed other countries.

Singapore is a great place to work & live but if you're coming here on an Investment Visa (there's no retirement visa option) you'll need to bring at least s$2,500,000 SGD & spend at least s$1,000,000 SGD over 2.5 years to renew it.

OP, look at the reasons why you want to live in Thailand, Philippines & Cambodia have much easier visa options for you if you're under 50 & unable/unwilling to go down the Thai Elite route.

After reading and contributing to many a posts on Thai Visa, I will say that there are only a select few, and I stress a select few, members here that I would ever follow the advice of. The rest of the lot are either completely oblivious to the reality of things when it comes to visas or will purposely give you false information, because they themselves don't want you here anymore than the Thais do.

I've been here myself for 4 years already on a combination of visa exempt entries and tourist visas and have never once had any issue whatsoever. Had a red stamp in my old passport from Vientiane and solved that problem by getting a new passport and have been back since and received another visa.

You only have to learn how to play the game, and once you've figured that out it's smooth sailing from there.

Edited by Rayk
  • Like 2

There isn't a visa for you.

Since there are no official set limits on what a 'tourist' is or how long a 'tourist' can stay here with occasional trips out to a variety of consulates... then technically there is a visa for him. That's a simple fact, one that's often debated with opinions but is still a fact nonetheless.

Sure it's not a particularly easy visa, but many of us manage it.

Well, I fist came to Thailand in 1977.....and am still here, but barely made until I was 50 years old and could qualify foe retirement here in Thailand..

Bur I did NOT and could NOT live here all that time.

I was lucky enough to have a job/career experience that allowed me to work all those years earning a living OUTSIDE of Thailand....and returning once or twice each year for a holiday to Thailand.

Finally when I was able to retire in my home country (U.S.A) I was able to get a pension and move to Thailand as a retiree.

I managed it, and have been retired here in Thailand since 2010......but it wasn't easy to get to that point all those years, waiting and working for that retirement time to arrive so I could stay in Thailand.

I am the living proof that it can be done.....but I can tell you it isn't easy.

I can see how that would be tough. I first came here at age 55 so I was already to come. Also USA retirement monthly pension from government job.

But if I was lets say 35 or 40 when I first came, it would have been very difficult for me to wait all that time.

But like you said you made it, so enjoy your life now.