Dreaded the thought of making an Air Asia booking but ...

jko

Every time I see something posted that relates to cheap flights - especially when AA is mentioned - I always remember this YouTube video. While I'm sure it was directed at Ryan Air originally, it seems to fit AA as well.

David

Some 40 plus flights with Air Asia over the years.

Never had a problem, usually the cheapest around,particularly with advance booking. Online booking works fine with no problems.

+1

Anyone that thinks AirAsia is bad haven't had the agony of flying Jetstar.

As most people say "you only fly Jetstar once".

Edited by FT10toLOS

Interesting. Maybe Thai Smile is different with groups to AA then? I just booked a return with AA from CNX to HKT and AA worked out around 4,700 inc 20 kg checked baggage. TS wanted 6,160.

Did that route many times on both. I need to add the legroom seats at about 400B per flight when on AA, so the price difference can be minimal. I don't know if you want to count it, but TS gives out a decent snack and drinks for free, that would be extra cost with AA. Generally I prefer TS because AA seems to cater mostly to tourists of one particular nationality which I'd rather do without, and because I can use the (TG) lounge in HKT while with AA it's a nightmare in the general waiting area.

Another thing that annoys me with AA is their "BIG" point system, basically there's nothing you can do with it except watch the points expire. But in general they are well organized, and I still choose AA on some routes, especially their new KLIA2 hub is quite good.

I have booked many TG and Thai Smile airfares at about 1300 baht to BKK and Bangkok Airways can be competitive with the low cost airlines. Just assuming Air Asia and Thai Lion are always the cheapest is a mistake.

When I fly to BKK and stop there, I much prefer Suvarnabhumi over Don Muang for connections to town.

Just to set the record straight against several off-topics.

What I strongly object to is not the airline, but their opaque pricing. They offer a misleading initial fare which is subject to various extra charges. This includes a final and obligatory credit card charge, just for the privilege of paying them. What an insult.

I believe that like any company with integrity, the advertised price should be the price you pay. If extra charges do apply by necessity, these should be listed and explained at the very beginning so that passengers can make an informed decision.

All airlines should be required to do this, by law.

I have flown with Air Asia on several occasions and found them to be good, efficient and punctual. If they adopted fair and transparent pricing, I would have absolutely no problem supporting them.

But for as long as they continue their unethical business practice, they will remain on my blacklist, and a last resort.