Billion baht drugs busts announced by national police

webfact

Billion baht drugs busts announced by national police

s5p.jpg
Image: tnamcot

BANGKOK: -- National police turned out in force to announce arrests and seizures in three amphetamine drugs busts worth a combined total of 1.6 billion baht.

The busts come in the wake of comments from the justice minister about taking certain drugs off the narcotics control list, reported tnamcot.

In the first case crime suppression police, the drug enforcement agency and soldiers combined to arrest three people who were taking delivery of a consignment of drugs at a department store in Bang Yai, Nonthaburi. Arrested were Sarawut Kasenbua, 25, Narongsak Sombun, 25, and Miss Patama Hormloei, 29. They were caught with 2,090,000 Ya Ba tablets, 52 kilos of crystal meth or ice, and 50 kilos of ketamine. They admitted this was the second time they had taken part in a delivery and were paid 400,000 each time. Enquiries to round up others involved are underway.

In a second case the drugs gang escaped after a shoot out with police in Suphanburi. Drugs had arrived in the province from Mai Sai, Chiang Rai, but the gang realized they were about to be arrested and started shooting. One officer was hit and a police vehicle was damaged as the gang escaped. Their vehicle was later found in a darkened soi along with 800,000 Ya Ba but the gang had fled.

In a third case two men were arrested after a sting to buy drugs was carried out in Hot district of Chiang Mai. Arrested were Padaedu Sribaina, 30, and Chalerm Mettho, 26 along with 100,000 Ya Ba.

Police said that they will vigorously pursue drugs cases despite the comments from the justice department. Amphetamines continue to flow in from neighboring countries.

There have been suggestions that amphetamines should be used by doctors in the treatment of drug addicts. Police accept that this may happen but that the perils of amphetamines mean that they should remain against the law.

Source: tnamcot

tvn.png
-- 2016-06-21

They seize the drugs and the transport donkeys.
But who are then the producers, receivers, financiers and master minds in the background?
Somehow they never get it, to take the whole chain out.

Edited by tomacht8

That's a lot of speed, nice job getting this garbage off the streets. This ya ba and ya ice are a scourge.

Look at it as stock for when they legalize the junk...

It will probably be stock for a while but I suspect it will hit the market again long before it is legalised.

Whilst always impressed that the cops can make sizeable busts, I've noticed these massive busts increasing recently and wonder whether 'pressure' is being applied to one of the groups alleged to be behind a lot of the drug trafficking here.

It's incredible to think these sized shipments no doubt go on every day, every year, largely undetected, and seriously enriching those behind them - who are never caught. Amazing.

But who are then the producers, receivers, financiers and master minds in the background?

I am sure in the background - way behind the few pages of a news report, are investigators who are making inroads into or already have an idea of the kingpins etc. Often as in law enforcement agencies globally it is extremely difficult to gather the evidence to prosecute and such prosecutions are the results of multi year complex undercover, surveillance based, technical evidence, intercepts, informants - either from cash incentives or suspects turned witnesses in exchange for reduced sentences or no charges laid, search warrants, witnesses, and any other forms of evidence.

Such investigations are massively resource intensive, require long term commitment and perserverance. Whether the Thai law enforcement divisions also have a coordinated response with other agencies and cross border cooperation are big issues as well.

And of course the level of expertise and the ability to run such operations comes to question.

But the fact that several stings with huge seizures shows that the police have been doing something as well as putting their lives on the line shows commitment. Shooting at police never goes down well and I am sure investigations will be ramped up accordingly from higher up.

I am loathe to ever crticise from my sofa when not privvy to all the information and obviously a lot if that is privileged so as not to compromise ongoing investigations and the safety of officers.

Edited by aussienam

It's incredible to think these sized shipments no doubt go on every day, every year, largely undetected, and seriously enriching those behind them - who are never caught. Amazing.

And is this different in other parts of the world?

If the health minister will have his ways, bust like this will be almost meaningless in the future as criminals

will clamor over themselves to traffic as much as possible decalcified dangerous drug.....

The generals, same as in the heroin days of the 70's.

Good timing, stock up the supplies, maybe an opening sale once they're out of the narco list?

"They were caught with 2,090,000 Ya Ba tablets" .. allright so they only got the extra 900,000 missing from the sign in the photo. Alrighty then.

Edited by DrTuner

I have a Thai friend who was arrested for having 1.19 grams of Ice, and he has been charged with selling, but the amount seems small to me. However, I know nothing about any of these drugs, and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the threshold is that divides possession and selling (for Ice).

Whilst always impressed that the cops can make sizeable busts, I've noticed these massive busts increasing recently and wonder whether 'pressure' is being applied to one of the groups alleged to be behind a lot of the drug trafficking here.

What amazes me is how it is all distributed without catching the distributors. Why not let the carriers deliver the goods and bust those below the chain if they can't get the ones above which I think may be in Myanmar, Laos and China.

Looks like the cop with the microphone injured his right arm, trying to lift it all.

That looks like wrist tendonitis which can be caused by the wrist and finger action of continually counting money.