Thai Army Commander affirms GT200 purchase by the books

webfact

Army Commander affirms GT200 purchase by the books

BANGKOK, 22 June 2016 (NNT) – The commander of the Royal Thai Army has affirmed that the purchase process for GT200 Bomb Detectors followed due protocols, explaining that as the company that produced the unit was a foreign entity, its purchase required the involvement of several different government agencies.

Commander of the Royal Thai Army Gen Theerachai Nakwanich has remarked on the purchase of the GT200 Bomb Detection device, which was recently ruled a fraud by the United Kingdom, disclosing that the legal arm of the army is currently collecting all data on its purchase for use in Thailand. He assured relevant authorities will reveal all data as it is found, while asserting that the purchasing process followed all protocols.

The commander responded to questions as to why the process involved so many agencies by stating that it was due to the device being purchased from a foreign company.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-06-22 footer_n.gif

Of course it was. How many million baht for each unit? And each unit comprised an empty plastic box and a car aerial? With an optional set of additional cards ripped out of electric toothbrushes. - A steal at only 500,000 baht each with a 40% kickback to you dear General.

O K...

Yet the army is so convinced of the stupidity of Thais, they trot out this nonsense for them to suck up with a straw.

The real question is this. If the army knew the purchase was bent and multiple million baht envelopes would go into certain General's pockets (ahem *cough* Paochinda, Sudomdej, Prayuth, Prawit *cough*) - would they say so?

If not, then the only rational thing is to consider this army statement to be 100% BS. Which I do.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

Of course it was. Everything correct and above board; the most corrupt organisation in Thailand white as the driven snow.

How many million baht each for 60 baht worth of plastic and a car aerial made by the con-man's wife? Probably in her kitchen?

No tenders *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink*.

No need for evaluation *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink*.

No need for specifications *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink*.

No need for testing *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink*.

No need for training *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink*.

Here's 200 brown envelopes. all pre-addressed with the General's names., Nice big ones, enough for lots of luverly cash.

The 'books' need to be audited. The thieves aren't just going to turn themselves in, that's not the way of thieves.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

So several different agencies and personal are all idiots, not just one. Well done Govt.

They sure are:

"Bolton's device, the GT200, was also backed by British embassies in Mexico City and Manila, through the then Department of Trade and Industry".

"In fact, earlier this year, the device surfaced in Egypt with claims from the Egyptian military that it could detect hepatitis and HIV.

And the bogus detectors are still in use at checkpoints across Baghdad. They were also deployed at a recent security conference in Djibouti and, just this week, the BBC filmed them in use at a shopping mall in Pakistan".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29459896

Well done British Govt.

So several different agencies and personal are all idiots, not just one. Well done Govt.

They sure are:

"Bolton's device, the GT200, was also backed by British embassies in Mexico City and Manila, through the then Department of Trade and Industry".

"In fact, earlier this year, the device surfaced in Egypt with claims from the Egyptian military that it could detect hepatitis and HIV.

And the bogus detectors are still in use at checkpoints across Baghdad. They were also deployed at a recent security conference in Djibouti and, just this week, the BBC filmed them in use at a shopping mall in Pakistan".

Well done British Govt.

I wonder if Tony Blair got his cut OK...

W

Edited by Winniedapu

Thailand purchased the GT 2000 explosive detection devices at a vastly inflated price, refused to accept for a long time that there was anything wrong with them in spite of experts’ proof that they were little more than plastic and a ‘smart card’ and continued to use them causing some unnecessary injuries. Now that a UK court has ordered compensation to be paid to countries that purchased these devices, Thailand seeks compensation, but refuses to order an inquiry into their purchase. I fail to see why compensation should be paid to a customer who was perfectly satisfied with the goods.

Thailand just got snookered like some other countries. And regardless of have many agencies were involved in the contract, ultimately you have a "source selection authority" which is one person or maybe a small board that picks the contract winner (i..e, source of product/service) and makes major decisions based on recommendations/input provided by agencies involved in the contract award.

The investigation by the Army will follow the rigorous "Rajabhakti Model". At the appropriate time, Prem will express his supreme confidence in the main players, and the smell of Jasmine flowers will once again permeate the air.

I do love this statement by the exalted commanding General: "He assured relevant authorities will reveal all data as it is found, while asserting that the purchasing process followed all protocols."

The Executive Summary is already written. Well done.

Edited by phoenixdoglover

Thailand purchased the GT 2000 explosive detection devices at a vastly inflated price, refused to accept for a long time that there was anything wrong with them in spite of experts’ proof that they were little more than plastic and a ‘smart card’ and continued to use them causing some unnecessary injuries. Now that a UK court has ordered compensation to be paid to countries that purchased these devices, Thailand seeks compensation, but refuses to order an inquiry into their purchase. I fail to see why compensation should be paid to a customer who was perfectly satisfied with the goods.

Quite right. Let them stew in their own infamy juice.

Compensation? Not while their bums point downwards...

Winnie

Can the General please name the individuals (and their line-managers) who were responsible for the testing of the equipment before it was bought, and can he please publish the testing-report.

[i would presume that these details form part of the purchasing-process-protocols.]

Edited by andersonat

"....purchase process for GT200 Bomb Detectors followed due protocols"

Any of these very dim bulbs get the slightest flicker than perhaps their protocols leaved something to be desired?

Or perhaps "due protocols" are streamlined:

1. What's in it for me?

2. When is payment due to me.

Of course it was.

Just like the blimp, the aircraft carrier and its engine-less aircraft, the APC's, the Chinese tanks, the statues at the park, etc. etc...

Don't forget the tablets for schools,,, $90 usd each for a $40 usd device.

Can the General please name the individuals (and their line-managers) who were responsible for the testing of the equipment before it was bought, and can he please publish the testing-report.

[i would presume that these details form part of the purchasing-process-protocols.]

They already answered this. It failed all science tests but that did not matter because the units function is not based on Science! Brilliant, don't you think. A simple statement that closes the door on that question.

The question about how it was supposed to work, well that's complicated. UK court deemed the explanation rubbish and locked the guy up for selling them but Thailand is sticking to it's guns on this.

"....purchase process for GT200 Bomb Detectors followed due protocols"

Any of these very dim bulbs get the slightest flicker than perhaps their protocols leaved something to be desired?

Or perhaps "due protocols" are streamlined:

1. What's in it for me?

2. When is payment due to me.

You are assuming that when the process does not work and ends up in a complete disaster like this that the Thai officials will immediately review all process and reform it to avoid any possible mistakes going forward. But of course to do that there has to be some admission of mistakes being made.

The GT200 may have been purchased by the book, however nothing adds up ,how come the amount of personal injury with these empty plastic boxes , any new gizmo the young guns in the military technology section surely would have had a look to see what makes them tick or in this case tock, I mean the company supplying the item didn't they send a representative from the UK to inform and show everyone where to place the batteries, the printed circuit layout ,even if it was a piece of cardboard, not a good look in anybody's book..........................................coffee1.gif

Army Commander affirms GT200 purchase by the books

Translation: Army commander has confirmed that Thailand's military procurement process is a joke, unable to prevent massive fraud and soldiers trusting their lives to worthless equipment.

They sure are:

Well done British Govt.

I wonder if Tony Blair got his cut OK...

W

Buyer beware... but I can't blame Mr Blare, I made a shit load of cash when he was in power, thats why I'm retired now, just guessing you didn't do so well :)

Its hard to support a full investigation into a fake scanner when some of the beneficiaries are now at the top of the tree in Thai Politics. And that tree bore fruit of millions of baht. So what do you do. You present a process that looks like a process but is not really a process. The people involved n the investigation will get new computers, cars, salary, holiday pay etc to do the job to the best of the ability that they are allowed to do. When did they buy these? 2005?

All very interesting. It seems the only reason it has now emerged is that fresh dosh is on offer, i.e the refund that the

UK government has offered. Quickly, quickly, how can we lose/bury this ----- the icing on the cake.

The UK should demand to see the books here before it pays the buffoons a penny. Fat chance of course... Diplomatic waves and all that. they're actually going to get paid twice for this Scam! They should make McDelboy an honorary Thai PM when he gets out!