How useful is Thailand postal system.

Berty100

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes Thai post is a bit lazy in updating the tracking system. Just got a USPS delivery today, still not in the system. I regard the tracking as a safeguard against post office stealing my stuff anyway, not a reliable system for seeing where your stuff is.

Yes Thai post is a bit lazy in updating the tracking system. Just got a USPS delivery today, still not in the system. I regard the tracking as a safeguard against post office stealing my stuff anyway, not a reliable system for seeing where your stuff is.

I don't need to see where the package is during the whole journey, the only thing I need is that it shows that it is accepted at the post office and that it is delivered, because otherwise Paypal doesn't refund me.

This is the email they sent me late afternoon, after I had provided them with the proof of delivery Aussie post sent me.

Unfortunately, we can't grant your claim appeal because we were unable to track your shipment to the sellers address. Online trackable Proof of Delivery is required. Once we have confirmed that the item has returned to the seller, we will process a refund.

The tracking system is an IT system and it too needs maintenance. Thais don't do maintenance. Don't rely on it.

I know that, but Aussie post told me that Thai post can simply sent an inquiry to them and they will provide them with the same info they sent me, it is very common in the postal system.

Thai post denied that it was possible.

May be I formulated it wrong, and it isn't Thailand post that is useless, it seems to be the employees that operate the call center in Bangkok.

An inquiry is a normal procedure, but continuously saying that it isn't available, doesn't really shows of efficiency or helpfulness.

Please note that registering a mail/parcel does not allow tracking (as with DHL for example). Only if you use EMS service, then the Thai postal website will show you where exactly is your mail. It only shows: Accepted/Dispatch/departure for Outward OE (at Suwanabhumi), then once in the country: Accept/To Customs/ Delivery Successful. The website is usually updated within 24h, however, but rarely, never updated (I have a parcel still pending after 6 months when I know they have been received)...

So it's not the Thai post system that is useless, just blame it perhaps on the IT guy for being late.

Not worth ranting, just bad luck this time...

May be I formulated it wrong, and it isn't Thailand post that is useless, it seems to be the employees that operate the call center in Bangkok.

An inquiry is a normal procedure, but continuously saying that it isn't available, doesn't really shows of efficiency or helpfulness.

Please note that registering a mail/parcel does not allow tracking (as with DHL for example). Only if you use EMS service, then the Thai postal website will show you where exactly is your mail. It only shows: Accepted/Dispatch/departure for Outward OE (at Suwanabhumi), then once in the country: Accept/To Customs/ Delivery Successful. The website is usually updated within 24h, however, but rarely, never updated (I have a parcel still pending after 6 months when I know they have been received)...

So it's not the Thai post system that is useless, just blame it perhaps on the IT guy for being late.

I am out of almost 13.000 Baht if the Thai post tracking isn't updated, and you think that isn't worth ranting?

I have never had an issue with international postal deliveries in Thailand. Have once recieved a parcel that was possibly water damaged (reason unspecified) in an added outer Thai Post wrapping with instructions as how to claim any compensation. The contents were not damaged but I was impressed with the service acknowlegement of possible liability..

Anyone anywhere who has issues over "track and trace" delivery should be vociferous in complaint if genuine. It is an International system so each and any Postal Sevice must be able to identify the status of the item once it is logged into the system. A weakness of the system is in the event of accidents involving the on road, airbourne, or container shipping agents. Despite that eventuallity the Postal Services of origin or recipience should or would have status results.

The event of theft/ loss, disgardmen, is the most common problem. In that event the tracking system is disrupted because the status of any item is in limbo until such time as an acknowlegment of that is established officially.Another factor is the ad hoc intervention of other agencies such as custom and excise,drug detection etc services which can sidetrack an item without notification. Intervention of delivery in such cases is outside of any liability or jurisdiction of the delivery services.

I've had nothing but good experiences with the Thai Post Office, whether sending or receiving mail ... and I've sent or received literally hundreds of items over about 15 years. Many of those mailings involved international eBay purchases or sales. Anything I've sent or received by registered or EMS service has been tracked on their website.

Things I have sent to the US by registered or EMS services also appear on the tracking service of the USPS. I recently sent a letter by registered mail to the US and I just checked on USPS to see that it was been received by them in New York en route to the addressee. Quite often the biggest delays occur in the US, especially if the recipient is located away from a major city.

As far as I know, nothing I've sent or expected to receive has gone missing.

"Please note that registering a mail/parcel does not allow tracking (as with DHL for example)."

Not sure what you mean. Anything I've sent by registered mail is tracked within Thailand and, in the case of things sent to the US or other countries with decent tracking, in the receiving country. As I said in the previous message, I'm tracking a registered letter I sent recently and the USPS shows it's reached New York and the Thai Post Office tracked it up to dispatch at Suvarnabhumi. That's the extent of service provided by the US Post Office for things sent from the US and on several occasions the USPS didn't manage to do that either, whether registered or express service.

if you rely on Registered mail sent to Australia to be visable on any tracking system get ready to keep loosing money and a lifetine of rants.... i suggest you mail valuable items to countries that honour tracking mail from Thailand post. Eg USA, UK. This is the only way paypal with support you. otherwise spend up and use EMS which Australia post do track from memory.

this is not a problem with Thailand Post. The issues lies with AP not providing data for tracking to any country. I send to USA and the tracking is always accurate with Thailand. Before you slack off about Thai Post you should understand the core issue.

I don't send frequently packages to anywhere in the world, this was a return of a NASD claim which PP agreed with, and which I had to send back at own expense.

It is understandable that in such case one selects the cheapest service that meets the PP requirements, in this case registered small package - air.

Since I don't use such a service ever I was not aware of how Australia post threatens International registered mail.

However that should also not my problem since I engaged the service from Thailand post, and not Australia post, and Thai post assured me that I would be able to track the delivery online.

I also understand that the real issue may lay with AP, because they don't scan the IR mail in their system as they state on their website, however they were able to provide me with a detailed delivery report.

On my question if they could update the tracking page they also answered me that only Thai post had access to that, and regardless of the fact how much they wanted to help me the only way to do that was that Thai post opened an inquiry similar to the one I had started.

The Thai post call center told me that such a inquiry was not an option, and refused to assist me any further, so I think I understand pretty much where the core issue lays.

Looks like you started another thread just to bash Thailand Post.

Like many have said, Thailand Post tracked your package properly. It showed as in transit. The updating is really not the fault of Thailand Post, the lady couldn't' be of more help because she is looking at the exact same tracking system as you are.

It could very well be the fault of the Aussie Post where the delivery man may not have scanned the packaged when he dropped it off, hence is still shows as in transit when in fact it is delivered like you said. That is the only place where you can put the blame.

Overall I had good experience with using Thai Post for local shipments and EMS for overseas.

I send a package using Thai post and pay extra for a it being registered, so it is their duty to deliver me proof of delivery.

I only engage Thai post, and all couriers between Thailand and the destination are not my problem, since they get engaged by Thai post and not me. So if Australia post doesn't scan their package, then that is not my problem, it is Thai post problem because they engaged them.

Australia post on the other side, went out of their way to deliver me the proof of delivery, yet that was not sufficient for Paypal,

I understand, you want Thai Post to be responsible because they are the service provider not Auss Post. This is also Thailand, don't expect everyone to perform to the same standard as the West. Perhaps you have not lived here long enough? Take it easy, there are more upsetting things you will encounter than a little tracking problem.

This issue got you all fired up, yet in your last sentence you said " Australia post on the other side, went out of their way to deliver me the proof of delivery, yet that was not sufficient for Paypal,"

Ultimately it was Paypal that pissed you off, did you also start another thread about paypal?

I've sold/bought hundreds of items on ebay in the past open a handful of cases where I had to send tracking and deliver info, I don't see why paypal would not have accepted your evidence.

Must be very bad luck for you - seller sold you stuff not describes,, seller does not reply your paypal dispute, paypal close the case and refuse to accept your tracking evidence, thailand post's fail tracking system .... Wow sh!t, perhaps you need to go buy the lottery

"Australia post on the other side, went out of their way to deliver me the proof of delivery, yet that was not sufficient for Paypal,

My experience is that the Australia Post normally does show it on their tracking site after they deliver it, did you try checking online yourself?

Email from AP

The article has now been delivered, however because Registered Post international is not a trackable service, it will not display a "delivered" status on our website.

Edited by Berty100

Looks like you started another thread just to bash Thailand Post.

Like many have said, Thailand Post tracked your package properly. It showed as in transit. The updating is really not the fault of Thailand Post, the lady couldn't' be of more help because she is looking at the exact same tracking system as you are.

It could very well be the fault of the Aussie Post where the delivery man may not have scanned the packaged when he dropped it off, hence is still shows as in transit when in fact it is delivered like you said. That is the only place where you can put the blame.

Overall I had good experience with using Thai Post for local shipments and EMS for overseas.

I send a package using Thai post and pay extra for a it being registered, so it is their duty to deliver me proof of delivery.

I only engage Thai post, and all couriers between Thailand and the destination are not my problem, since they get engaged by Thai post and not me. So if Australia post doesn't scan their package, then that is not my problem, it is Thai post problem because they engaged them.

Australia post on the other side, went out of their way to deliver me the proof of delivery, yet that was not sufficient for Paypal,

I understand, you want Thai Post to be responsible because they are the service provider not Auss Post. This is also Thailand, don't expect everyone to perform to the same standard as the West. Perhaps you have not lived here long enough? Take it easy, there are more upsetting things you will encounter than a little tracking problem.

This issue got you all fired up, yet in your last sentence you said " Australia post on the other side, went out of their way to deliver me the proof of delivery, yet that was not sufficient for Paypal,"

Ultimately it was Paypal that pissed you off, did you also start another thread about paypal?

I've sold/bought hundreds of items on ebay in the past open a handful of cases where I had to send tracking and deliver info, I don't see why paypal would not have accepted your evidence.

Must be very bad luck for you - seller sold you stuff not describes,, seller does not reply your paypal dispute, paypal close the case and refuse to accept your tracking evidence, thailand post's fail tracking system .... Wow sh!t, perhaps you need to go buy the lottery

"Australia post on the other side, went out of their way to deliver me the proof of delivery, yet that was not sufficient for Paypal,

Well that "little" tracking problem cost me 13000 Baht.

This is what PP told me in their latest message after I had sent them the proof of delivery Aussie post had provided me with

Online trackable Proof of Delivery is required.

Saying that I can't expect the same service as in the west from a postal service, for which they charge extra, smells of nothing less than Thai apologia to me.

I simply asked TP to start an inquiry with AP, something AP had advised to me and for which TP has all the resources available, and they right out denied that.

Well that "little" tracking problem cost me 13000 Baht.

This is what PP told me in their latest message after I had sent them the proof of delivery Aussie post had provided me with

Online trackable Proof of Delivery is required.

Saying that I can't expect the same service as in the west from a postal service, for which they charge extra, smells of nothing less than Thai apologia to me.

I simply asked TP to start an inquiry with AP, something AP had advised to me and for which TP has all the resources available, and they right out denied that.

Tracking did not cost you 13,000 baht. Paypal did as they close the case even though you submitted a valid tracking first time around, you said they reopened it, you resubmitted the Aussie Post tracking showing it delivered, they closed it again. Sounds like they were in favor of the seller, not because your evidence was insufficient or anything.

"Smells nothing less than Thai apologia to me"

Nah - I have my fair share of Thai bashing here. You just haven't been here long enough to be numbed by the inefficiency of the society. You are expecting everything here should worked like a developed nation. Lower your standards a bit and you will be much more happy.

TP may / may not have the resources, but I can reassure you most staff are not trained to / does not know how to use the resources even if its there. Yes TP is to be blamed for their inconsistent tracking system. But the thing is that you can always track it from the post office on the other side of the pond eg. Auspost. EMS is still the way to go if you want more reliable tracking info. Again in the end, it was paypal that cost you not the TP, you even said it yourself!

don't want to hijack this post but it's highly related

I went to the post office in Cha-am today to buy a box, returned with the box with maybe 3kg of stuff inside, tshirts and knick nacks I wanted to send home..

part of this package included a computer video card that has to be shipped back overseas to get warranty (NA warranty only)

buddy at the post office tells me that it's not allowed to be shipping electronics overseas or something stupid? he didn't speak english but that's what he said to my girlfriend.

so, I ended up not sending anything at all because i'm not about to pay 2000+ baht to send a few t-shirts and random stuff.

so my question is, is that really true that they won't ship any electronics? that sounds like the most inane rule ever..

he was talking about batteries not being able to be shipped but this has no battery in it.

I think what happened is that he had no idea what it really was and instead of "risking" shipping something that was not allowed he BS that it was not allowed.

would I be luckier taking this stuff to the main post office in Cha-am or even Hua Hin where they might be more intelligent?

don't want to hijack this post but it's highly related

I went to the post office in Cha-am today to buy a box, returned with the box with maybe 3kg of stuff inside, tshirts and knick nacks I wanted to send home..

part of this package included a computer video card that has to be shipped back overseas to get warranty (NA warranty only)

buddy at the post office tells me that it's not allowed to be shipping electronics overseas or something stupid? he didn't speak english but that's what he said to my girlfriend.

so, I ended up not sending anything at all because i'm not about to pay 2000+ baht to send a few t-shirts and random stuff.

so my question is, is that really true that they won't ship any electronics? that sounds like the most inane rule ever..

he was talking about batteries not being able to be shipped but this has no battery in it.

I think what happened is that he had no idea what it really was and instead of "risking" shipping something that was not allowed he BS that it was not allowed.

would I be luckier taking this stuff to the main post office in Cha-am or even Hua Hin where they might be more intelligent?

Or go to the same postoffice, and send the package without telling them there are electronics inside. Seal the box before you go there.

Or go to the same postoffice, and send the package without telling them there are electronics inside. Seal the box before you go there.

yeah I don't think they will let that happen, they check what you send and you can't send without showing passport either

i think it was something that was changed a few weeks ago

Over the past few years have sent over two thousand parcels to worldwide destinations.....some tracked others by regular mail.

99% of these were successfully delivered. Where there was occasionally a problem it was nearly always at the recipients end. Concur with the other poster regarding problems with the Australian postal service. Not impressive at all.

My issue is not with the delivery, it was delivered, but the fact that Thailand post fails to update the tracking service for which I paid and refuse to start the needed inquiry to get it updated.

Thailand can only update their tracking if the recipient country enters it into their system; which you tell us Australia refuses to do. So how can Thailand update when they are not given the information from Australia? Seems like you are complaining about the wrong country!

Personally I have never had an issue with Thailand's post or tracking of parcels in or out of the country.

Over the past few years have sent over two thousand parcels to worldwide destinations.....some tracked others by regular mail.

99% of these were successfully delivered. Where there was occasionally a problem it was nearly always at the recipients end. Concur with the other poster regarding problems with the Australian postal service. Not impressive at all.

My issue is not with the delivery, it was delivered, but the fact that Thailand post fails to update the tracking service for which I paid and refuse to start the needed inquiry to get it updated.

Thailand can only update their tracking if the recipient country enters it into their system; which you tell us Australia refuses to do. So how can Thailand update when they are not given the information from Australia? Seems like you are complaining about the wrong country!

Personally I have never had an issue with Thailand's post or tracking of parcels in or out of the country.

No I didn't say that, I said that AP can't update the Thai tracking page, but I'm sure they informed Thailand from the delivery at the time it was delivered in the same way they informed me.

I don't want to beat this issue to death. It is a very common problem for tracking to not show up on Thailand Post or any other local post from other countries, I think the main factor is that there is no universal tracking system that connects one local post system to the next.

EMS has better tracking because packages sent by EMS goes through EMS's own tracking system - that is why EMS is generally faster and more reliable compare to the local posts. EMS has its own set standard that all local posts follow and use, therefore more reliable.