EU referendum: BBC forecasts UK votes to leave

webfact

The trade agreements will happen, and won't take "many years". There's a will, so there'll be a way. Financial services will certainly be impacted, but "decimated"? No way. Almost pure hyperbole. Brussels will have a hard time holding out on terms with the UK. Fear of more dissension in the ranks... Much of what we're hearing now is just "noise", mostly from the sour grapes crowd.

But isn't it true that Britain will not have a licence to offer financial services in EU. Why would they want to give us one? Or trade agreements for that matter?

Sorry for the hyperbole. I'm sure we'll muddle through somehow. And there will be an export boom I'm sure and all sorts of other business opportunities. I reckon we'll be trading a lot more with US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand for starters.

Here's some relevant reading which explains much better than I ever could:

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexitvote/2016/06/22/in-case-of-a-brexit-access-to-eftas-suite-of-trade-agreements-would-be-an-economic-boost/

Also informative:

PDF]The Great British trade-off The impact of leaving the EU on the UK's ...

I just don't think the doom 'n gloom scenarios hold much water, and mostly just descend from the pre-vote Bremain scaremongering. If other EU members now find that EU membership is more disruptive than it is beneficial, and as I've previously posted unfavorable sentiment was already high in many of them, they may well follow UK's example. And Brussels knows that, and doesn't want that. The political will to take a hard line with the UK and be too obstructive when it comes to UK-EU trade terms, would be obstructive and unpopular with large factions in those other member countries. We're talking about large countries on the UK's doorstep, with large economies and trade ties that have existed over many years. To the extent that the EU's "four freedoms" were enhancements, the UK perhaps now loses a certain something, at least in the short term, but only WRT to its EU trading partners (which is by no means the entire picture for the UK; see that 2nd article). But to the extent that Brussels now seeks to impose barriers between the UK and the EU, I believe that's going to be tricky and probably counter-productive ITO "EU morale".

Brussels may be caught between a rock and a hard place. If it actively seeks to prevent near FTA terms now between EU countries and the UK, it weakens its political grip on them. They'll start courting bilateral agreements with the UK of their own. But if it adopts a permissive position, then eventually its constituents begin to wonder what they really need the dues-exacting, sovereignty-sapping, mandate-imposing (& open immigration-friendly) EU for...

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trade agreements will happen, and won't take "many years". There's a will, so there'll be a way. Financial services will certainly be impacted, but "decimated"? No way. Almost pure hyperbole. Brussels will have a hard time holding out on terms with the UK. Fear of more dissension in the ranks... Much of what we're hearing now is just "noise", mostly from the sour grapes crowd.

But isn't it true that Britain will not have a licence to offer financial services in EU. Why would they want to give us one? Or trade agreements for that matter?

Sorry for the hyperbole. I'm sure we'll muddle through somehow. And there will be an export boom I'm sure and all sorts of other business opportunities. I reckon we'll be trading a lot more with US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand for starters.

Here's some relevant reading which explains much better than I ever could:

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexitvote/2016/06/22/in-case-of-a-brexit-access-to-eftas-suite-of-trade-agreements-would-be-an-economic-boost/

Also informative:

PDF]The Great British trade-off The impact of leaving the EU on the UK's ...

I just don't think the doom 'n gloom scenarios hold much water, and mostly just descend from the pre-vote Bremain scaremongering. If other EU members now find that EU membership is more disruptive than it is beneficial, and as I've previously posted unfavorable sentiment was already high in many of them, they may well follow UK's example. And Brussels knows that, and doesn't want that. The political will to take a hard line with the UK and be too obstructive when it comes to UK-EU trade terms, would be obstructive and unpopular with large factions in those other member countries. We're talking about large countries on the UK's doorstep, with large economies and trade ties that have existed over many years. To the extent that the EU's "four freedoms" were enhancements, the UK perhaps now loses a certain something, at least in the short term, but only WRT to its EU trading partners (which is by no means the entire picture for the UK; see that 2nd article). But to the extent that Brussels now seeks to impose barriers between the UK and the EU, I believe that's going to be tricky and probably counter-productive ITO "EU morale".

Brussels may be caught between a rock and a hard place. If it actively seeks to prevent near FTA terms now between EU countries and the UK, it weakens its political grip on them. They'll start courting bilateral agreements with the UK of their own. But if it adopts a permissive position, then eventually its constituents begin to wonder what they really need the dues-exacting, sovereignty-sapping, mandate-imposing (& open immigration-friendly) EU for...

Spot on, great post.

Brexit. If ever there was evidence that democracy doesn't work this is it. Or to paraphrase Churchill.. 5 minutes with the average voter will convince you that democracy is a bad idea.

Referendums (referenda) are not a normal part of British democracy - even this one isn't legally binding on the government.

No-one actually asked for a referendum, we were just told to take part.....normally on a constitutional issue in most countries one would expect a 30% majority to have effect rather than a simple first past the post.

One wonders if in the next two years there will be a legal challenge?

Yes, this isn't legally binding but I've seen nothing about it not going ahead (the exit).

Despite never living in the UK, or being born there (I am a Brit by nationality) I would have voted stay.

Scotland will be interesting as I'm sure Sturgeon will do her best to implement a second referendum. She has

invited the Euro ministers to talk to her this morning.

Let's assume there's a Scotland departing from UK but part of the EU, do we have to erect a border with Scotland so EU migrants can't walk in? The same with Ireland should there now be a border so EU migrants can't enter the UK via Republic of Ireland?

At present, we have 'intelligence-led' immigration patrols on either side of the inter-Irish border. They seem to have made in impenetrable border unnecessary.

I don't think England will be attractive to illegal immigrants. Unless you working for family, how pleasant is illegal work at the moment? You'll be relying on false documents or living in slave-like conditions, courtesy of the draconian compulsion for right-to-work and right-to-rent checks on employers and landlords. I hope the latter will not appeal to potential illegal workers from the EU. Therefore, immigration patrols either side of the Scottish border are likely to work.

Smuggling is the one issue I'm not sure about, and we may need customs posts.

This observation, just received from my brother, a journalist of forty years standing, speaks volumes for me:

"A Polish EU diplomat interviewed on C4 News last night expressed Poland’s huge concern and disappointment. The interview over, he took a couple paces away then returned to catch the departing Matt Frei’s arm and tell him quietly but firmly: “Do not expect Polish soldiers and airmen to come and defend your country as they did before. Never again.” It doesn’t matter that as it happens Matt Frei is of German parentage, he was being spoken to as a British television journalist. And a good one. The moment struck a deep chord with me as I know it will with you."

The EU was always about much, much more than bureaucracy, red tape, economic stresses, immigration, whatever.

For all its faults, there was, and still may be, a vision far greater than short-term. transitory problems that come and eventually are resolved.

Now let the xenophobes come forth and speak!

We're not betraying anyone simply by leaving an economic club. We don't owe Poland a living. There is no reason why a trading agreement can't be established, or not, as desired.

(I preferred to remain)

I found three main areas of internal debate in deciding how to vote.

1) Accountability. Relatively speaking, how accountable are EU and British governments, and, how much can you trust them when under supervision?

2) Solidarity? Roughly speaking, are the Poles our brothers?

3) Economics. Are we better off in or out?

Solidarity (not intended as an allusion!) did not come up in the public debates, but I think the Polish diplomat found it a relevant consideration. I suspect Mrs Thatcher did too, when she pressed for enlargement. I think his feeling is that, by voting to leave the EU, we have declared that the Poles are not our brothers.

i have accepted defeat without complaint. that's democracy

BUT, consider this

72% of people with a degree voted remain

70% of people aged between 18 and 30 voted remain

65% of demographic classes AB voted remain

That leaves me feeling slightly queasy.

There are several natural reasons for this. Firstly, it is the lower economic classes who most visibly suffer the competition from European immigrants. As an engineer, I'd have been more likely to have moved to Germany for career-enhancing work, as several of my colleagues have. Thirdly, harking back to solidarity, when one is young one tends to love the human race. As one grows older, one tends to find that one is not so enamoured of individual humans. Also, cynicism tends to increase with age; not everyone develops it at a young age.

I believe there's also a demographic gradient in patriotism (or nationalism), and voting leave feels like a patriotic act of throwing off foreign rule. At a crude level - are you British, or are you European?

There are several natural reasons for this. Firstly, it is the lower economic classes who most visibly suffer the competition from European immigrants. As an engineer, I'd have been more likely to have moved to Germany for career-enhancing work, as several of my colleagues have. Thirdly, harking back to solidarity, when one is young one tends to love the human race. As one grows older, one tends to find that one is not so enamoured of individual humans. Also, cynicism tends to increase with age; not everyone develops it at a young age.

I believe there's also a demographic gradient in patriotism (or nationalism), and voting leave feels like a patriotic act of throwing off foreign rule. At a crude level - are you British, or are you European?

The lower classes / unskilled labour is the easiest to replace in many cases. If you cannot find a burger flipper at a reasonable price, there is a machine that does a better job and does everyones job in the kitchen - just have to have someone fill it supplies.

I don't want the UK to leave Europe, I want the EU to leave Europe.

Stay in your island, EU doesn't need UK : Scotland and Norten Ireland will leave , and England will stay very small and alone

Brexit. If ever there was evidence that democracy doesn't work this is it. Or to paraphrase Churchill.. 5 minutes with the average voter will convince you that democracy is a bad idea.

Referendums (referenda) are not a normal part of British democracy - even this one isn't legally binding on the government.

No-one actually asked for a referendum, we were just told to take part.....normally on a constitutional issue in most countries one would expect a 30% majority to have effect rather than a simple first past the post.

One wonders if in the next two years there will be a legal challenge?

Yes, this isn't legally binding but I've seen nothing about it not going ahead (the exit).

Despite never living in the UK, or being born there (I am a Brit by nationality) I would have voted stay.

"I've seen nothing about it not going ahead (the exit)."

Well, has Cameron not said that he will NOT invoke Article 50, but instead leave that for the next PM to do? I'm reading that's at least 3 months off, and in the meantime, talk (and a petition) is firing up about a 2nd referendum...

Stay in your island, EU doesn't need UK : Scotland and Norten Ireland will leave , and England will stay very small and alone

I think you will find that Northern Ireland and Scotland contribute very little to the economy, in fact they take more per head. The EU won't want them as they will be saddled with their fare share of national debt.

England has never been alone, check your history.

Hmmmm . . . . we'll see. Only time will tell now, if there's even a Brexit, which is looking shaky already.

cheesy.gif two and a half million muppets now want to reverse their vote, a protest vote gone wrong, many didn't think (i could leave that as a statement but i will continue) that we would really exit they were just protesting against the elite. I just hope parliament now takes the referendum merely as a non binding recommendation and doesn't invoke article 50 otherwise we will not only lose the EU we will lose Scotland as well, what a cock up !!! well done Dave.

cheesy.gif two and a half million muppets now want to reverse their vote, a protest vote gone wrong, many didn't think (i could leave that as a statement but i will continue) that we would really exit they were just protesting against the elite. I just hope parliament now takes the referendum merely as a non binding recommendation and doesn't invoke article 50 otherwise we will not only lose the EU we will lose Scotland as well, what a cock up !!! well done Dave.

You're implying that it is those that voted brexit who are now asking for another referendum?

Surely its FAR more likely to be those that lost the vote, rather than those who won?!

Germany become a leader in EU and her diktat to push suicide for EU member states with this uncontrolled immigration is a criminal act. Islamisation is dangerous to all Greco-Roman cultural tradition. Many countries suffers this influx of terrorism and the promise of Sharia law. Berlin and Bruxcel is indifferent to logic and pushing this multicultural leftist agenda. They even have a law of invading by armies countries which do not agree with EU diktat. This so called democracy is just a demagogue dictatorship under the leadership of Germany. If this continue, EU members countries become Muslim. What then? You shoot those responsible? Too late. All not Muslim will be killed. End of story. There is a shortage of labor in EU? Bring Christians from all over the world. They will assimilate.

This Brexit was just as much political as economic vote. More countries could go for it in the future, if forced to accept German diktat on their knees. Germany is building strength without war and this is why they push this crazy ideas, which heart them as well. Angela Merkel was a communist and work for them as a youth leader. The leftists are always pushing these sociopathological ideas with no respect of population. This dictatorship will and in UK now.

I suppose you are in your 80's. So you can't forget the V2's sailing to UK in those days. The good thing is that there are only a few of your generation left. This is not an offend, don't get me wrong. It's just a demografic fact. The younger folks as you can see voted for "remain".

Here one of your jokes: Bring Christians from all over the world

555555. Are you thinking of Christians from Syria or Libanon or Kenya or Vietnam and many more,,,,?

THE mayor of Calais says migrants living in the Jungle camp and others in France should be moved to Britain so Brits “take the consequences” of Brexit.

Natacha Bouchart wants a revision of the border deal between France and the UK, which at the moment sees border checks carried out in Calais to stop those trying to get to Britain illegally.

The Sun

If there were borders in Europe then the migrants wouldn't be there!

And you wonder why we voted for Brexit with that scruffy mob over the channel trying to get in...

Perhaps if the French try that you should blow the chunnel was always a weak point anyway. I am sure it was mined in case of the Soviets. You can't trust the French My old Grandad and Father always said.

Clq7LmNWkAQ5GA1.jpg

As many people said before: It´s the young generation that lost / will lose out ... I feel sorry for that generation ...

Only time will tell now. But young people were already totally shafted in the UK with educational debts and lunatic house prices, insecure employment with no wage increases. Not sure how it'll all change now.

your quote make no sense to me MJP. Because of lunatic house prices or insecure employment aso they voted for "remain"...???????? So they like it?????? NO, they want to live where they want without ant restrictions and work where they want without any Visa-regulations......Freedom they want......!

Only time will tell now. But young people were already totally shafted in the UK with educational debts and lunatic house prices, insecure employment with no wage increases. Not sure how it'll all change now.

your quote make no sense to me MJP. Because of lunatic house prices or insecure employment aso they voted for "remain"...???????? So they like it?????? NO, they want to live where they want without ant restrictions and work where they want without any Visa-regulations......Freedom they want......!

I would suggest the referendom was about freedom, brexit provided it.

I see no difference between UK leaving the EU and Scots wanting to leave the UK..

There is: The Scots will win whereas UK lost the future

The old vote versus young vote was the most striking feature. Not that surprising, given the limited contact a large proportion of older people in the shires have had with Johnny foreigner, compared with a large proportion of younger people in the large cities, who went to school and are now at work in teams with them.

Maybe new Little England should promote a referendum vote to expell all those old smelly expensive (racist?*) pensionerssmile.png

Yes - I know there was a genuine concern with the lack of resources caused by immigration in some areas of the country - but I suspect that 'I don't like foreigners' was the starting point for a sizeable chunk.

You're implying that it is those that voted brexit who are now asking for another referendum?

Surely its FAR more likely to be those that lost the vote, rather than those who won?!

you could be right of course but many now who voted leave are having regrets, i think if a new referendum was held it would be remain that would win. A 50-50 decision in my opinion is not binding and that is basically what it was. Parliament has the last decision and they should have the balls not to invoke article 50. If two thirds had said out i would call that binding as sad as i would be about it. We could now lose Scotland and possibly Northern Ireland as well as the EU. Already warnings are being made to the Tory party not to reverse the workers rights that were given to them by the EU and Ukip has admitted that immigration by and large wont be stopped as imagined, the 'outs' have been sold a pigs ear and they are beginning to realize it. Rubber lips Boris for PM another horror scenario. That's what happens when beer sex and football are ones main interest in life.

Edited by soalbundy

well, I can see a difference: it seems to be better part of a community of 500 million people and take part in decisions than ruled by a bunch of incompetent so called polititians at Westminster

And you think Brussels is any different.....? facepalm.gif

Yep, 500 million, the UK obviously voted to stop them moving into the UK..

Just wait till Turkey is taken into the EU fold....whistling.gif

Turkey has been applied to be part of EU for the last 30 years. It can't even be considered until Turkey proves to be a modern European country. It will not happen fast. Even then EU can say no.

"Turkey's application to accede to the European Economic Community, the predecessor of the European Union (EU), was made on 14 April 1987. Turkey has been an associate member since 1963."

Edited by Guest

you could be right of course but many now who voted leave are having regrets, i think if a new referendum was held it would be remain that would win. A 50-50 decision in my opinion is not binding and that is basically what it was. Parliament has the last decision and they should have the balls not to invoke article 50. If two thirds had said out i would call that binding as sad as i would be about it. We could now lose Scotland and possibly Northern Ireland as well as the EU. Already warnings are being made to the Tory party not to reverse the workers rights that were given to them by the EU and Ukip has admitted that immigration by and large wont be stopped as imagined, the 'outs' have been sold a pigs ear and they are beginning to realize it. Rubber lips Boris for PM another horror scenario. That's what happens when beer sex and football are ones main interest in life.

"could be right" ?? Its ridiculous to pretend that the VAST majority of those signing the petition for another referendum are not remain voters!

To pretend "two and a half million muppets now want to reverse their vote" - is misinformation at its worst.

"Leave" hinged on two so called "facts", 1. 350M GBP paid to EU/wk, which will be used for the NHS if leave won; 2. Leave can stop immigration.

Lets have a look at those two shall we, or rather, let prominent leave campaigners do it for you, post the vote...

1. Oh there's a surprise, point 1 was a lie. So the leave campaign won based on a lie. You were dupped!

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/nigel-farage-good-morning-britain-eu-referendum-brexit-350-nhs_uk_576d0aa3e4b08d2c5638fc17

Also, just consider for a moment the full balance sheet, not just the amount paid in to the EU.

Oh, and don't forget the little matter of the return on the investment that is not directly measured in cash at time of payment of the 350m. A simple analogy for you? OK then, so you own a company and you pay salaries. How much of those salaries do you expect to get back? So what do you get back? You get added value or services that brings you what you ultimately want.

2. Oh there's a surprise, point 2 was a lie. So the leave campaign won based on a lie. You were dupped!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/newsnights-evan-davis-loses-brexit-8281875

So we jumped ship believing we were jumping onto an all signing and dancing super hot fusion powered cloaked flying submarine battle cruiser, to take on all global comers as the almighty powerful GB PLC, to get a rough landing onboard a ... rotten plank of wood to be swept aside by the nearby sealife (plankton). The salesmen sold you that plank, and boy did you buy into it.

Here's some other things to consider (should have thought of this BEFORE voting, shouldn't you!):

-GBP plunged.

-UK credit outlook cut by Moody.

-Scotland pushing for a 2nd referendum to leave the UK, NI considering the leave the UK, so they can both stay in the EU. So GB PLC now becomes England and Wales. Yeah, nice one.

-London could lose its rights to export its financial services to the EU, worth 20bn/yr. That's worth more than the 350m/wk we pay in to the EU on its own ... you see.. read point 1 above. Get it now?

-Jobs will be lost.

-Big company big investment will decrease. Already stated by one biggy firm.

Its all well and good blurting out slogans like "Freedom" and all that sh%$e, but once you actually look into the detail, the reality, you realise it's just a bigoted brainwashed chant of a feeble minded old foul standing on his rotten plank in a very very big ocean.

If the Brit public is sold such a series of lies to secure a referendum vote, then the liars should be prosecuted and the referendum nullified. Its related to "rights", the kind of rights supported and protected within the EU ironically.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions?state=open
EU 2nd Ref.

> 2.7m so far !

Still need a clinching argument, well, lets leave that to Donald Trumpo shall we ... he supports leave...doen't that say it all folks?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/nigel-farage-good-morning-britain-eu-referendum-brexit-350-nhs_uk_576d0aa3e4b08d2c5638fc17

-London could lose its rights to export its financial services to the EU, worth 20bn/yr. That's worth more than the 350m/wk we pay in to the EU on its own ... you see.. read point 1 above. Get it now?

I think it is funny that many think that London will maintain it's status as the financial capital of EU..... after leaving the EU. Maybe there is still a chance that Toronto can become the financial capital of the United States - but outside :P

"could be right" ?? Its ridiculous to pretend that the VAST majority of those signing the petition for another referendum are not remain voters!

To pretend "two and a half million muppets now want to reverse their vote" - is misinformation at its worst.

Just taking a leaf out of Farages book, he did say that if the referendem for remain won by only a few percentage points he would want another referendum, that must count if the reverse is true. To my other points you say nothing.

Just taking a leaf out of Farages book, he did say that if the referendem for remain won by only a few percentage points he would want another referendum, that must count if the reverse is true. To my other points you say nothing.

Life will go on. Some things will change. Somethings will remain the change. Britain has 2 years to adapt. History shows us Europe has united and divided several times before. And will do so again. Kingdoms unite and divide. We are all products of migration and integration.

Short term pain may lead to gain.

What ever happens Britain must adapt.

And those with an eye will find new opportunities.

Yes the World has changed. The Age of Empire is over.

But it is soon to be the dawn of a New Age and perhaps an Island will develop better than an over regulated Continent.

you could be right of course but many now who voted leave are having regrets,

Says who?

I'm thinking people tend to vote for a winner.

Have another vote and more likely the leavers will win by 10 or 20%.

(Not to mention all the people who believe in democracy, and aren't bothered by the EU will probably join the OUT vote)

And of course, every politician who supports a second vote will become un-electable.

(Personally, I think they should be tried for treason and hung)

After less than a weekend, the remainers have gone from 'we can't lose' to 'we can't lose again'

Edited by MissAndry

i have accepted defeat without complaint. that's democracy

BUT, consider this

72% of people with a degree voted remain

70% of people aged between 18 and 30 voted remain

65% of demographic classes AB voted remain

That leaves me feeling slightly queasy.

I have said too many times already, it's each country's responsibility to take care of their own people.

These people let UK vote to leave the EU. They should have done a better job to defend what was important, but they didn't do it.

They let the populists to take over the country's will and they now have to bear the consequences.

They are also the ones to blame for their country's idiots.

Now, does this sound like a US republican talk?

However we are not the US, we are the EU. What UK can now do, each individual in UK can now really push to get a 2nd referendum vote. This is the sober vote to check if the 1st drunk vote was really a good idea.

There are already 1.2 1.9 million Brits who have signed the petition. If you are a Brit and understand what is in stake, the address is https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

This is the easy way back to the better future. You'll not even loose your face, more than you did already. Come back to us and will make the future a bit better together.

Wrong! What you should have said, 1.9 people have signed the petition. The big question,how many are British, and should they be allowed override the popular democratic vote.