Backpackers swim in flood water on Khao San because, how often do they get to do that?

webfact

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, I came to sunny SE Asia as a backpacker. An all expense paid vacation courtesy Uncle Sam's Misguided Children circa 1966. I was a sexpat then, as some so luv to say, still am and proud of it, although married with Thai wife for many years. One taste of Okinawa, VN, Hong Kong I was hooked. These backpackers don't know what they are missing. They have no idea of Asia, Asian women, just hang around with ugly farang backpacker women. I never missed a chance when I was young, hell my life could have ended any time, still could. Oh well, all to their own. They don't like us, we don't like them, fine with me.

Have to admit i utterly despise backpackers. They are just above nonces for me

I remember doing the same in the big flood of 95.

If it weren't for backpackers like me being adventurous and finding new places, you old sexpats wouldn't be here.

Really?

Do you think that backpackers are the only people who have ever been outside of their own country?

What a sheltered life you must have led.

It is the backpackers that go there first, the infrastructure grows around this new trade until it reaches a point that it is comfortable enough for other types of tourists to visit, it has happened the world over. It is this that we really do have something to thank backpackers for and also to dislike them for if you do not appreciate development. Not that this pioneering type of backpacker is what you will find in Thailand these days, they were here 30 years ago, paving the way for the developers of places like Koh Samui and Phuket and really died a death 20 years ago after the likes of Koh Chang started to be developed and then they moved on to new virgin islands the world over. The backpackers you see in Thailand today do not really need backpacks, the vast majority of them would do perfectly well with a suitcase.

In the early times when i shifted to bkk, i was so excited when the rain fell so heavy n flooded the soi that i was in that I armed myself with an umbrella and wanted to have the experience of wading thru the flooded waters while singing Gene Kelly's singing in rain... upon reaching the front steps of my condo, i saw rubbish n dog poo floating on the most disgusting murky water that all romantic feelings i had b4 left me.

The only times i be singing in the rain in thailand is when it floods n i get stuck in traffic in my car singing the love the army and love thailand songs to the radio.

No singing in the rain for me ever in Thailand.

If it weren't for backpackers like me being adventurous and finding new places, you old sexpats wouldn't be here.

I'm mot a sexpat matey :)

Me and the family move to Hong Kong soon. :)

Noi from buriram perhaps.

Why would you hate backpackers?

Read the headline - saw the picture - unbelievable.

Young people are getting worse - my old man was right.

Climbing a mountain, riding a scooter without a helmet, taking a zip-line ride, playing with a monkey, riding a pushbike on highway, not using a condon, drinking way too much.

Those things are reckless, foolish, or stupid - all natural for young people to do.

But this is beyond all of that.

Wonder if they have medical insurance (here and when they get back home).

Hope they dont need it. Hope being the operative word.

Still better than sex tourists and pervs... ?

No they are not! Sensualists are honest and sophisticated compared to those callow youth. The only hope for them is that they will return without their vacuous views and feminist dimwit as sex tourists and spend some money!

I'm mot a sexpat matey :)

Me and the family move to Hong Kong soon. :)

Noi from buriram perhaps.

Why would you hate backpackers?

Because they are vacuous - arrogant- immature - mean- patronising - overly entitled spoilt western brats.

yeah and those 2 things are THEE most important things in life hey Franky boy ? coffee1.gif

(in Thailand they certainly are!!! 555)

Manners and respect, add them and we're onto a winner.

Good to see the manners and respect you have for people who are having a bit of fun.

Most backpackers are unlikely to become bitter old sex tourists.... simply because they experienced things in their youth.

Sex tourists are some of the happiest travellers I meet. The ones you know must be doing it wrong! When the back packers grow older and have more money and wisdom they will travel for more sophisticated pleasure-as sex tourists.

Backpackers are not adventurous - self imposed semi luxury in a cocoon of western life style surrounded by other dimwited immature smug prats on a gap year is not an adventure- it's pthetic. Your parents send out search parties if they don't get a Skype call every day. Adventurous - you would not have lasted a day in Afghanistan or India in the old days. And what makes you think you were here before'us' And if you were a backpacker in 95 what are you doing now? Still on a parent paid extended adolescence.I was in Hanoi recently and had the misfortune to meet some of the most unaware, brainwashed, unoriginal people I have ever met- all backpackers. It was embarrassing.

So much for a "western education", embarrassing really.

How do you know they're not Russians?

They are having fun,smiling, definitely not russian, Ozzies for sure.

If they were Aussies, they'd have to be with bogans from the Gold Coast or Western Sydney, Rooty Hill.

My bet is that they are Poms, just taking their annual bath.

Grubs.

There's some nasty people here, these young Brits are coming up with innovative ways to make their new currency 'The British Paeso' go further and are simply bathing for free.

I'm sure they did their washing and topped up their drinking bottles too.