Thai boy entering on US Passport - how to convert to him to Thai?

Section 34 of the 2007 Thai Constitution says,

"Deporting a person of Thai nationality or denying a person of Thai nationality entrance into the Kingdom cannot be done."

However this section of the constitution was repealed on 20th May 2014.

What this means is that there is no law guaranteeing any thai citizen entry to Thailand. In the absence of law, you (and everyone else) is absolutely at the mercy of the most senior immigration officer on duty, and the Minister of Immigration if you choose to appeal an adverse decision.

In reality, of course, there is almost never a problem, but even with 1 in a million odds 30 people entering Thailand this year could have problems.

"Deporting a person of Thai nationality or denying a person of Thai nationality entrance into the Kingdom cannot be done."

What this means is that there is no law guaranteeing any thai citizen entry to Thailand. In the absence of law, you (and everyone else) is absolutely at the mercy of the most senior immigration officer on duty, and the Minister of Immigration if you choose to appeal an adverse decision.

In reality, of course, there is almost never a problem, but even with 1 in a million odds 30 people entering Thailand this year could have problems.

We get closer.

I am sure that if one looks they will find something similar. The intent of the people is exactly as I expected.

I'm betting that you cannot deny a Thai Citizen entrance to his own country any more than Border Patrol in the USA can deny me entrance.

Exactly. That's what you should tell the immigration officer.

Everyone one of you #*$&*$(*$* has a an opinion.

Let me state it yet again.

Show me the law.

Again, a field report from your attempting what you feel like you have a right to do would be most helpful to this forum. Make it clear to the border folks that YOU WANT TO SEE THE LAW. SHOW ME THE LAW. SHOW ME THE LAAAAAW!!!!

I have to admit that even I am now curious as to what the law is.

:-)

Edited by Heng

We get closer.

I am sure that if one looks they will find something similar. The intent of the people is exactly as I expected.

I'm betting that you cannot deny a Thai Citizen entrance to his own country any more than Border Patrol in the USA can deny me entrance.

All this about entry is at a border crossing I think. At a border crossing you have to deal with immigration from 2 countries. If the other would not allow entry then is more likely to happen and would be part of the problem of doing a border crossing to swap passports.

I think you need to concentrate on finding out the latest info about how long it will take to get him a Thai passport and/or getting the certificate of identity.

You stand a chance of losing that bet. It is a different situation entirely, but google:

Wyn Ellis

That gentleman is a dual UK-Thai citizen and he was arrested and detained at Suvarnabhumi. It took the British ambassador and a personal appearance from the Director of the National Intelligence Agency of Thailand to get him released, after publications like Time featured his plight.

I know this is an extreme case, but nonetheless it happened, and it happened to a respected Thai government advisor.

You stand a chance of losing that bet. It is a different situation entirely, but google:

Wyn Ellis

That gentleman is a dual UK-Thai citizen and he was arrested and detained at Suvarnabhumi. It took the British ambassador and a personal appearance from the Director of the National Intelligence Agency of Thailand to get him released, after publications like Time featured his plight.

I know this is an extreme case, but nonetheless it happened, and it happened to a respected Thai government advisor.

Men and women sit on death row here in America even though DNA evidence shows that they could not possibly have been involved in the murders they were charged with.

My Uncle Abe is able to twist a cherry stem into a double slip knot with just his tongue.

His wife Mabel was a star in the Clemson Circus capable of walking on a bed of nails and other bizarre behaviors.

You may be wondering what all this has to do with my dual national boy.

Absolutely nothing.

Should I read about Wyn Ellis again?

Wyn Ellis

Men and women sit on death row here in America even though DNA evidence shows that they could not possibly have been involved in the murders they were charged with.

My Uncle Abe is able to twist a cherry stem into a double slip knot with just his tongue.

His wife Mabel was a star in the Clemson Circus capable of walking on a bed of nails and other bizarre behaviors.

You may be wondering what all this has to do with my dual national boy.

Absolutely nothing.

Should I read about Wyn Ellis again?

You keep saying that a Thai person cannot be denied entry to Thailand. When given proof, you troll.

There's no helping some people, especially those who have the time to type gibberish posts.

You keep saying that a Thai person cannot be denied entry to Thailand. When given proof, you troll.

There's no helping some people, especially those who have the time to type gibberish posts.

That's not correct. Someone else posted Thai law from the last go around saying exactly that.

Pay close attention:

1. Wyn Ellis is not Thai.
  2. My son is Thai.
  3. The previous set of laws explicitly stated that a Thai could not be denied entry to his own country.
  4. Stating a fact is not trolling.
  5. I started this thread to get information so I can decide on a plan.

Why would I troll my own thread? You should ask yourself, what your post contributed. Stop blaming me and look to yourself. What was your contribution? Wyn Ellis?

That's not correct. Someone else posted Thai law from the last go around saying exactly that.

Pay close attention:

• Wyn Ellis is not Thai.
  • My son is Thai.
  • The previous set of laws explicitly stated that a Thai could not be denied entry to his own country.
  • Stating a fact is not trolling.
  • I started this thread to get information so I can decide on a plan.

Why would I troll my own thread? You should ask yourself, what your post contributed. Stop blaming me and look to yourself. What was your contribution? Wyn Ellis?

I'm sorry. I thought you were trolling and I apologise.

Instead you are simply wrong.

Wyn Ellis is Thai.

Pay close attention:

• Wyn Ellis is not Thai.
  • My son is Thai.
  • The previous set of laws explicitly stated that a Thai could not be denied entry to his own country.

Wyn Ellis is Thai.

Did they let him in?

Yes.

I'm correct. Thank you for proving that.

Pay close attention:

• Wyn Ellis is not Thai.
  • My son is Thai.

Wyn Ellis is Thai.

Did they let him in?

Yes.

I'm correct. Thank you for proving that.

The point I was politely making is that a Thai citizen who advises the Thai government was detained by immigration for several days, and that it took an article in Time magazine and a lot of lobbying to get him released.

Thankfully, he was released. The situation demonstrates, however, that Thai people can be detained and that it is not easy to be released.

If the Director of National Intelligence and the British Ambassador had not pushed for the gentleman's release, who knows what would happened? Would he still be in custody?

As I said before, this was an exceptional case, but I think it demonstrates that in the absence of the constitution you are at the mercy of the senior immigration officer unless you are very well connected.

In London it takes a couple of hours to get a thai passport inc getting a thai birth certificate

mobile

Perhaps to apply for them. But the passport has to be produced here, It is written on the their website it takes 6 to 8 weeks to get a passport.

I did it for my 2 children, went in the morning, did the birth certificate & passport, your correct i got the passport about 3 weeks later depends on the time of year. I got the birth certificate same day

mobile

Edited by trojanhorse

tabien baan he is registered against, mothers tabien baan (usually same) mothers thai id, Fathers Id(passport), thai birth cert for child both parents signatures and leave 2 hours later with the new passport.

tabien baan he is registered against, mothers tabien baan (usually same) mothers thai id, Fathers Id(passport), thai birth cert for child both parents signatures and leave 2 hours later with the new passport.

Again I have to ask when did you the passport that quick. They stopped producing permanent passports at embassies years ago.

Since the OP wants to get the passport in the states. The embassy in DC states this "The duration of the operation takes between 4-6 weeks" Info in Thai is here: http://thaiembdc.org/th/%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B7%E0%B8%AD%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87/

They can do temporary passports but normally will only issue them if a person needs it to travel somewhere besides Thailand.

Again I have to ask when did you the passport that quick. They stopped producing permanent passports at embassies years ago.

Since the OP wants to get the passport in the states. The embassy in DC states this "The duration of the operation takes between 4-6 weeks" Info in Thai is here: http://thaiembdc.org/th/%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B7%E0%B8%AD%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87/

They can do temporary passports but normally will only issue them if a person needs it to travel somewhere besides Thailand.

sorry was unclear. once he gets to thailand this can be done at the amphur. i did it last for my daughter and her little sister last january.

given the simplicity of the process i would recommend travelling on the US passport and doing the thai passport here. they even take the photo for you.

Edited by HooHaa

We leave Aug 7.

That is about 6 weeks away now. I suggested before that you check with the embassy or the consulate in NY about how it is taking to get passports at this time.

If no passport a certificate of identity will take care of the problem.

sorry was unclear. once he gets to thailand this can be done at the amphur. i did it last for my daughter and her little sister last january.

given the simplicity of the process i would recommend travelling on the US passport and doing the thai passport here. they even take the photo for you.

I have my son's original Birth Certificate, a copy of the family book page with him on it, and since my wife is in Thailand, a letter notarized by her Ampur allowing me as a single parent to get him the passport and for him to travel on it.

We leave Aug 7.

That is about 6 weeks away now. I suggested before that you check with the embassy or the consulate in NY about how it is taking to get passports at this time.

I am at the mercy of my wife's likely ADD in this case. It's all Thai and I'm screwed. I showed it to her and her only remark was, "this is for older Thai."

What documents do I need for this Certificate of Identity and this is something I can do here in the USA? I have no idea how to fill it in.

We leave Aug 7.

I am at the mercy of my wife's likely ADD in this case. It's all Thai and I'm screwed. I showed it to her and her only remark was, "this is for older Thai."

What documents do I need for this Certificate of Identity and this is something I can do here in the USA? I have no idea how to fill it in.

You can certainly get it in USA.

Could your wife ask somebody for help with completing the form and reading the list of required documents to get it.

You can certainly get it in USA.

Could your wife ask somebody for help with completing the form and reading the list of required documents to get it.

Sure Joe, just as soon as she finishes her work for NASA categorizing and rating Black Holes. I'll get my friend's wife in NYC to look at it.

I did mine in 2010, used uk birth certificates, wife passport Id card, thai birth certs done same day, I asked my wife for clarification everything done same day

mobile

You did what exactly?

I did it for my 2 children, went in the morning, did the birth certificate & passport, your correct i got the passport about 3 weeks later depends on the time of year. I got the birth certificate same day

mobile

I did mine in 2010, used uk birth certificates, wife passport Id card, thai birth certs done same day, I asked my wife for clarification everything done same day

mobile

You did what exactly?

Posts he did earlier.