Thai boy entering on US Passport - how to convert to him to Thai?

My plans to get a Thai Passport at the NY Consulate have been dashed now that I've found out that although it is unwritten, getting a passport in less than 2 months is likely not possible and we leave for Thailand in a month and a half. That means my Thai boy 9, born in Thailand will have to enter with me using his US Passport.

I am assuming that I need to do nothing for him in the way of a visa, the 30 day stamp should be sufficient and he can overstay it all he likes. I on the other hand will enter with either an O or an O-A Visa.

What is the process to get my boy the Thai Passport and then move his entry from the US Passport to the Thai Passport. What if anything needs to be done with the US Passport showing the entry but no exit. His original US Passport when we left 7 years ago didn't show and entry or an exit and they fabricated an entry into his US passport when we went through immigration to board the plane.

They asked me if he was born here, to which I said yes, and then they took the original birth certificate and came back with his US passport properly stamped with both and exit and entry. That passport has since expired and he is on a new one.

What is the process to make him fully Thai again once we are there.

You should check with the embassy or the consulate to find out how it is now taking to get Thai passports. It might be quicker than the info I provided in a post yesterday.

If he enters on his US passport the only way to clear that entry is for him to leave and re-enter the country using his Thai passport. This would need to be done by air.

The best option if you cannot get a passport would be to get a certificate of identity that would allow him to enter the country as a Thai. Info and application form in Thai is here on DC embassy website. http://thaiembdc.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/C.I-updated-2016.pdf There is no info in English about the certificate of identity on the embassy or NY consulate websites.

Google translate of some info I found in Thai about the CI.

"The identity certificate (Certificate of Identity-CI) is a temporary travel document issued to people who made ​​it happen. Or expired passport And the urgent need to return to Thailand can return to Thailand only. Valid for 10 days from the date issued. Embassy Therefore, evidence of flight to assemble the evidence."

• Like 1

I am assuming that I need to do nothing for him in the way of a visa, the 30 day stamp should be sufficient and he can overstay it all he likes.

I would be careful doing that as technically he would be an overstaying US citizen when entering on a US passport despite being born here, surely?

I am assuming that I need to do nothing for him in the way of a visa, the 30 day stamp should be sufficient and he can overstay it all he likes.

I would be careful doing that as technically he would be an overstaying US citizen when entering on a US passport despite being born here, surely?

I'm told a child cannot overstay.

Children under the age of 15 do not pay overstay fines but do get overstay stamps when leaving the country.

Children under the age of 15 do not pay overstay fines but do get overstay stamps when leaving the country.

Ok - so what? While in Thailand my wife and I will get him his Thai Passport. His US passport is only good for another 4 years and then it expires. The next time he leaves Thailand, he will leave on his US Passport. When he enters, he will use his Thai Passport which will be clean. From that point forward he will use his Thai Passport to enter and leave Thailand. The US Passport will be nothing more than a tool to get him in the first time.

You can't be telling me that this will somehow follow him to his Thai Passport? If we cross the border at Laos by land and he returns on his new Thai Passport, what could possibly be an issue? The US Passport won't be seen again.

get a certificate of identity that would allow him to enter the country as a Thai. Info and application form in Thai is here on DC embassy website. http://thaiembdc.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/C.I-updated-2016.pdf

My wife can fill this out for him. Does he have to go to the Embassy in order to have this issued?

I don't think he would have to present when the application is done. I suggest you contact the embassy or the consulate in NY about it.

I don't think he would have to present when the application is done. I suggest you contact the embassy or the consulate in NY about it.

Listen Joe, I roll my eyes every time someone tells me to contact the embassy. I've tried contacting the embassy many times, by telephone, by fax, by email. They don't bother to respond. I do question how a form such as this could be issued sight unseen when they won't issue a passport unless he comes to the embassy.

ur making this hard than it is.

arrive on US passport, go to Passport office, apply for passport with BC, ID card ( if he has one) Taam bien baan with his name on it

passport takes less than a week an will be ems'd to you,

Fly to PP, Malaysia, Laos wherever, exit on US passport

come back on Thai.

YOU cant exit on one passport and reneter on another by land, they look for stamps,need fly

• Like 1

arrive on US passport, go to Passport office, apply for passport with BC, ID card ( if he has one) Taam bien baan with his name on it

come back on Thai.

YOU cant exit on one passport and reneter on another by land, they look for stamps,need fly

I don't understand. Why can't he leave on his US Passport and Enter on his Thai Passport on the Friendship bridge to Laos from Nong Khai? Why does he have to travel by air? Where is this written. It doesn't make logical sense to me. I get why an airplane is the holy grail. If he crosses a border by foot or donkey, what does it matter? He crossed a border.

Edited by stuck

--------------------------------

It is not that a Thai child cannot overstay.....it is just that he or she will not be fined for overstay until they are considered to be of age.

They may be on overstay but they won't be fined for that overstay as a minor.

Although it sounds silly, it is not the person who overstays....it is the passport and visa that overstays

The passport and visa has entered the country for a period of the visa.

There must be an EXIT stamp to correspond with the ENTRANCE stamp for that visa.

I know this sounds stupid, but it is what must happen.

That is why you will have problems at a land border trying to use a Thai passport.

I say again, I know it seems stupid, but the child entered on a U.S. passport and there is an entrance stamp.

To close out that stamp, it must be matched with a exit stamp

Stupid, yes, but to the authorities, this is how it must be done.

But don't worry the child can't be charged for overstay until they are over 15 years old.

SENSE??? its Thailand :-)
LAND BORDERS: They look for a stamp to next country and an exit stamp,

thats the way its always been

same for farangs with two passports wanting to switch, must fly

Edited by phuketrichard

Listen Joe, I roll my eyes every time someone tells me to contact the embassy. I've tried contacting the embassy many times, by telephone, by fax, by email. They don't bother to respond. I do question how a form such as this could be issued sight unseen when they won't issue a passport unless he comes to the embassy.

I assume you are trying to contact the consular section of the embassy which is at a different location than the embassy. See: http://thaiembdc.org/contact/ They now have a contact form with no email address shown on that page. You might have better luck contacting the consulate in NY. See: http://www.thaicgny.com/%E0%B8%A0%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A9%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%AD-%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A4%E0%B8%A9-english-version/about-us/

The passport application requires the applicant to be present to have their digital photo taken. It the same when done here. No digital photo is need for the CI.

On the subject of overstay there would be no reason for you child to be on an overstay. You could get him a one year extension of stay at immigration based upon being a returned Thai national. You could also get him a single entry non-o visa based upon being a Thai.

I assume you are trying to contact the consular section of the embassy which is at a different location than the embassy. See: http://thaiembdc.org/contact/ They now have a contact form with no email address shown on that page. You might have better luck contacting the consulate in NY. See: http://www.thaicgny.com/%E0%B8%A0%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A9%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%AD-%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A4%E0%B8%A9-english-version/about-us/

The passport application requires the applicant to be present to have their digital photo taken. It the same when done here. No digital photo is need for the CI.

On the subject of overstay there would be no reason for you child to be on an overstay. You could get him a one year extension of stay at immigration based upon being a returned Thai national. You could also get him a single entry non-o visa based upon being a Thai.

I've set up wide area networks with less complexity than this nonsense.

come back on Thai.

I don't understand. Why can't he leave on his US Passport and Enter on his Thai Passport on the Friendship bridge to Laos from Nong Khai? Why does he have to travel by air? Where is this written. It doesn't make logical sense to me. I get why an airplane is the holy grail. If he crosses a border by foot or donkey, what does it matter? He crossed a border.

You should be able to do this. Dual national foreigners have a problem switching at land borders, but as you son is Thai they cannot refuse him entry or legally insist he uses his US passport.

Show both passports to Thai immigration on exit and ask them to stamp departure stamps in both passports (fill out a departure card for the Thai passport as well as the US). If they do then use the Thai to enter and exit Laos and you'll have no problem entering Thailand with the Thai passport.

If Thai immigration won't play ball then show both passports to Laos immigration and ask that they use the Thai passport. If they do then use the Thai to enter and exit Laos and you'll have no problem entering Thailand with the Thai passport.

If the above doesn't work he will have to use his US passport when entering/exiting Laos. At the Thai border just show his Thai passport, the IO will almost certainly ask why there is no exit stamp in the Thai passport, at which point you can show the US passport and explain he wants to enter with his Thai passport. If the IO insists on using the US passport you should ask to see a supervisor. He is Thai and they cannot stop him entering as a Thai with proof that he is Thai.

It all sounds a bit messy, but a friend of mine had no problem doing this and the IO stamped departure stamps in his sons British and Thai passports on exit. Unfortunately, you can't insist on that being done if the child entered with a foreign passport, but there is nothing stopping the IO from doing so.

The issue at land borders is all to do with exit stamps to prove that the person has actually come from the neighbouring country.

• Like 1

Not sure why anybody is trying to help this person, he seems to be rude and shoot down every answer that the helpful members post

If you are that knowledgeable about everything OP i'm surprised you don't already know the answer to your question, in fact why are you posting?

• Like 1

come back on Thai.

As a Thai dual national myself, phuketrichards answer is the correct one. Land borders insist you use the same passport on both sides.

Believe me, don't believe me.

You've been told what works. Just cause you don't like it isn't going to change it.

• Like 1

Not sure why anybody is trying to help this person, he seems to be rude and shoot down every answer that the helpful members post

If you are that knowledgeable about everything OP i'm surprised you don't already know the answer to your question, in fact why are you posting?

Think this one is rude, see the OP's other post where he argues about an O-A and mixes in the kid entering Thailand just to confuse matters

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/927177-i-am-not-nixon-nor-am-i-a-crook-o-a-visa-question/

I went looking for the IGNORE setting but can't find one. You'd be my first.

come back on Thai.

As a Thai dual national myself, phuketrichards answer is the correct one. Land borders insist you use the same passport on both sides.

You've been told what works. Just cause you don't like it isn't going to change it.

What is the law? There is myth and legend, and then there is law. I'll give you an example. Here in America, people think the Customs and Border people can do anything they want to you or they won't you into the country. That may be true if you aren't a US Citizen but if you are, you don't have to do anything, and they cannot deny you entry. They can ask you anything they want, but you don't have to answer. They can try to intimidate you but you ask for a supervisor and let them know that if they hold you for an unreasonable amount of time just because you won't tell them why you left the country, then you will sue them for deprivation of rights.

I do realize that this is Thailand, but what does the law say? What is written. There is a difference between the myth and the law. What is normally done in America is a violation of our rights. The law is different from what they do, until they realize you know the law.

So what is the actual law that governs these situations?

You should be able to do this. Dual national foreigners have a problem switching at land borders, but as you son is Thai they cannot refuse him entry or legally insist he uses his US passport.

Show both passports to Thai immigration on exit and ask them to stamp departure stamps in both passports (fill out a departure card for the Thai passport as well as the US). If they do then use the Thai to enter and exit Laos and you'll have no problem entering Thailand with the Thai passport.

If Thai immigration won't play ball then show both passports to Laos immigration and ask that they use the Thai passport. If they do then use the Thai to enter and exit Laos and you'll have no problem entering Thailand with the Thai passport.

If the above doesn't work he will have to use his US passport when entering/exiting Laos. At the Thai border just show his Thai passport, the IO will almost certainly ask why there is no exit stamp in the Thai passport, at which point you can show the US passport and explain he wants to enter with his Thai passport. If the IO insists on using the US passport you should ask to see a supervisor. He is Thai and they cannot stop him entering as a Thai with proof that he is Thai.

It all sounds a bit messy, but a friend of mine had no problem doing this and the IO stamped departure stamps in his sons British and Thai passports on exit. Unfortunately, you can't insist on that being done if the child entered with a foreign passport, but there is nothing stopping the IO from doing so.

The issue at land borders is all to do with exit stamps to prove that the person has actually come from the neighbouring country.

It sounds reasonable to me. When we left Thailand he had a brand new US Passport and no Thai Passport. They adjusted the passport to show an entry even though he was born in Thailand the entry occurred in a hospital OR.

It sounds reasonable to me. When we left Thailand he had a brand new US Passport and no Thai Passport. They adjusted the passport to show an entry even though he was born in Thailand the entry occurred in a hospital OR.

Thank you for posting this information.

I have always wondered what, if anything, the Thai immigration officer stamps or writes, in addition to the regular departure stamp, in the passport of a person who was born in Thailand and for the first time in his life travels out of Thailand with his foreign passport. I understand that in the case of your son the officer made an entry in his US passport to indicate that he entered Thailand or arrived in Thailand on a specific date, this date being the date of his birth. I would be grateful if you posted or sent me via PM a scanned copy of the relevant passport page, but without showing the passport number (for reasons of confidentiality), as I am compiling an album of stamps and other entries made in passports, for reference purposes when a picture helps to explain something more clearly when answering questions in this forum.

• Like 1

Thank you for posting this information.

I have always wondered what, if anything, the Thai immigration officer stamps or writes, in addition to the regular departure stamp, in the passport of a person who was born in Thailand and for the first time in his life travels out of Thailand with his foreign passport. I understand that in the case of your son the officer made an entry in his US passport to indicate that he entered Thailand or arrived in Thailand on a specific date, this date being the date of his birth. I would be grateful if you posted or sent me via PM a scanned copy of the relevant passport page, but without showing the passport number (for reasons of confidentiality), as I am compiling an album of stamps and other entries made in passports, for reference purposes when a picture helps to explain something more clearly when answering questions in this forum.

Now you know. I sent you by PM a scan of my exit and my boy's exit stamp. Can you read the Thai that was added to his?

come back on Thai.

What is the law? There is myth and legend, and then there is law. I'll give you an example. Here in America, people think the Customs and Border people can do anything they want to you or they won't you into the country. That may be true if you aren't a US Citizen but if you are, you don't have to do anything, and they cannot deny you entry. They can ask you anything they want, but you don't have to answer. They can try to intimidate you but you ask for a supervisor and let them know that if they hold you for an unreasonable amount of time just because you won't tell them why you left the country, then you will sue them for deprivation of rights.

I do realize that this is Thailand, but what does the law say? What is written. There is a difference between the myth and the law. What is normally done in America is a violation of our rights. The law is different from what they do, until they realize you know the law.

So what is the actual law that governs these situations?

The easiest way to find out would be to ask the immigration officer who won't let your kid back into Thailand on his Thai passport. And just like back in the US, don't grab the officer's service weapon when you don't get your way. Just because it isn't written down doesn't mean it's allowed.

:-)

Edited by Heng

The easiest way to find out would be to ask the immigration officer who won't let your kid back into Thailand on his Thai passport. And just like back in the US, don't grab the officer's service weapon when you don't get your way. Just because it isn't written down doesn't mean it's allowed.

:-)

I DO NOT BELIEVE that by Thai Law, a Thai Citizen, a MINOR Thai Citizen can be denied entry to his own country. Show me the law.