Can I "Unretire", and Then Retire Again ?

I am presently on an Extension of Stay for Retirement.

- If I was to accept a job offer, I think that from the employer's point of view, it is no different than hiring someone who is outside of Thailand, or someone who is in Thailand on a Tourist visa. So I am not worried about that part.

- my question is about returning to an Extension of Stay for retirement, as I would probably want to do that in a relatively short time; a year or two.

-easy to do ?

- what about my B 800,000 which I have maintained in the bank, and "topped up" every year ? Would I have to send all of that to my home country, and then bring it back when I want to retire again ?

- I would appreciate any comments from anyone who has done this,or who has tried unsuccessfully to do it.

I you wanted to work you would first have to cancel your extension based upon retirement by leaving the country without a re-entry permit.

Then when you want to apply for a new extension based upon retirement again you could change the extension for working to retirement.

You could keep the 800k baht in a Thai bank and then use it to get a new extension based upon retirement. There is no requirement to show the funds came from outside the country.

Thanks, Joe. I asked the question about the money for this reason. My circumstances at the time of my retirement were different than most. At that time, I had worked in Thailand for many years, and the B 800,000 was money I had saved in Thailand. Immigration seemed sceptical, and demanded documentation. I provided five years of income tax returns, which must have satisfied them. But, if I simply leave the money in a bank account, and then apply for a new retirement visa a few years from now, I will have no proof where the money came from.

It can be done.

For some of us it was not by choice.

I was on a retirement extension for 3 years.

Then I had to go into hospital.

Cost me 200,000 Baht and I could not meet the financial requirements for the next yearly renewal.

But by the end of October, I expect to be coming back, now that I have my U.S. pension problems finally settled.

as I said, it can be done.

Thanks, Joe. I asked the question about the money for this reason. My circumstances at the time of my retirement were different than most. At that time, I had worked in Thailand for many years, and the B 800,000 was money I had saved in Thailand. Immigration seemed sceptical, and demanded documentation. I provided five years of income tax returns, which must have satisfied them. But, if I simply leave the money in a bank account, and then apply for a new retirement visa a few years from now, I will have no proof where the money came from.

There is no rule that says the money has to come from abroad. Immigration was just being difficult.

You would have proof the money has been in the bank for a long time when you apply again plus the previous retirement extension stamps in your passport to prove you had done them before.