Motorcycle transfer, inspection, taxes and late fees

My friend gave me a motorcycle some time ago. I didn't ride it until recently when I got my motorcycle license. The taxes and insurance are now expired as of June 17th, 2016. There happens to now be a small gas leak.Because of circumstances, money and illness I wasn't able to go to tag office before expiration. What do I need to do? Do I,

1. Go get the bike repaired then inspected?

2. Can I go to transfer into my name alone? I have the book and expired paperwork. How much will this cost me? Where do I go?

3. How much will the taxes be? What are the late fees?

4. Can my failing to get this done affect my friends ability to get a visa?

1) How old is the bike? Technical inspection is req. after 5 years.

2) At least the signature of your friend (the owner) is needed on an official sale/transfer form.

I am not sure whether the signature has to be verified when your friend is not present.

Transfer of ownership is done like tax/insurance at the DLT office (Department of Land Transport).

3) about 120 Baht for a small scooter, late fee is laughable, one Baht or so

4) NO!

Edited by KhunBENQ

You realize that you will need a certificate of residence or work permit ( or yellow book ? ) to put the book in your name ?

Yeah, 1B .. I thought it was 1B for every day that you have missed upto the day when you renew it. It's silly anyway.

You can also sort the tax yourself now without transferring to your name. Just go down to the DLT, as said, if the bike is over 5 years old you need to visit a separate test center .. You may have seen the yellow cog logo on a blue/purple background ?? You can do that anyway.

You also need to sort the insurance before the tax .. But it's not hard .. They are not going to berate you for being late.

What is the procedure for no tax being paid for 5 years is it still 1 baht a day ??? or are there other penalties I have a bike and Green book but its not been taxed for 5 years its a big bike not a scooter

Anyone know if it is a different procedure to the above the bike is 6 years old

What is the procedure for no tax being paid for 5 years is it still 1 baht a day ??? or are there other penalties I have a bike and Green book but its not been taxed for 5 years its a big bike not a scooter

Anyone know if it is a different procedure to the above the bike is 6 years old

I think you have difficulties there .. Post in the motorbike forum and maybe someone can confirm this info - maybe an urban myth propagated by Facebook expat bikers.

After 3 years of non-payment of road tax, the green book becomes voided.

Sorry I can't be more help .. Best go down to DLT to get solid info, it's not like they are going to confiscate the bike on the spot.