Plankton bloom occurs in Bangsaen sea

snoop1130

Plankton bloom occurs in Bangsaen sea

419_Bangsean-wpcf_728x409.jpg

PATTAYA -- Plankton bloom was sighted this morning in the sea extending about three kilometers long parallel to the Bangsaen beach.

Tourism-related business operators said that plankton bloom was a natural phenomenon which occurs every year at this time of the year and is the first of this year.

The phenomenon has turned the sea into greenish shade and it smells badly, discouraging tourists from venturing into the sea.

One business operator said he believes that, in the next few days, fish will start dying en masse and washed ashore.

Operators of rubber rafts, sea scooters and banana boats complained of substantial decrease in revenues as tourists are afraid of venturing into the sea.

However, they expect the condition to gradually improve within a week.

Bangsaen beach experienced four plankton blooms last year, particularly during July-August. Nearby Si Racha district also experienced plankton bloom.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/plankton-bloom-occurs-bangsaen-sea/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-27

Plankton may bloom "regularly" but it doesn't obviate and explanation.

These sort of "blooms" occur with changes in water temperature, the salinity and of course factors caused by effluent of any kind....even the moon effects things like this - sunlight is also plnkton's enemy.

It may happen often but it really needs to be researched and explained why and with such intensity.

are these phytoplankton? some of these blooms can produce extremely toxic compounds that have harmful effects on fish, shellfish, mammals, birds, and even people....so I wouldn't go in the water - you can always check for dead dogs on the beach.....but that normally happens by fresh water.

It is also an effect of climate change.

Who says so ?

Sounds like natural or its pollution.

just about every scientific paper written on algal blooms. If you want to challenge any part of the discussion, rather than just ask glib questions why don't you bother to read up on the causes first?

Who says so ?

just about every scientific paper written on algal blooms. If you want to challenge any part of the discussion, rather than just ask glib questions why don't you bother to read up on the causes first?

No climate change in Bangsaen

Just natural or its an effect of pollution.

Plankton blooms were happening before climate change was talked about. The only affect of climate change is that higher temperatures make blooms more likely. And as for papers, no one mentioned climate change as a CAUSE of plankton blooms when i was studying Hydrobiology for my Masters degree. All about optimum conditions for algal growth - pollution can cause more but can happen without it.

It will be due mostly to excessive nutrients in the sea.

These nutrients are very likely coming from sewerage waste, and fertilizer, soil, run off from the land after heavy rains washes them into the water system.

Its when the balance of nature is messed up by people.

Plankton blooms were happening before climate change was talked about. The only affect of climate change is that higher temperatures make blooms more likely. And as for papers, no one mentioned climate change as a CAUSE of plankton blooms when i was studying Hydrobiology for my Masters degree. All about optimum conditions for algal growth - pollution can cause more but can happen without it.

Of course they were - I think you are simply trying to put forward a climate change denial stance - which is really off-topic.

No-one is denying the MANY causes of algal/p[plankton blooms - but changes in oceanographic characteristics such as currents water temperature etc are the result of climate change - Global Warming and these can exacerbate otherwise relatively insignificant blooms, until they become a real danger both to marine life and those who rely on it.

i always think that anyone who feels the need to quote "qualifications" has in fact run out of arguments and is relying on a bit of paper in the erroneous belief it makes their argument more compelling.

Who says so ?

"No climate change in Bangsaen" - Really - So bang Saen is on a different planet to the rest of us?

Of course they were - I think you are simply trying to put forward a climate change denial stance - which is really off-topic.

No-one is denying the MANY causes of algal/p[plankton blooms - but changes in oceanographic characteristics such as currents water temperature etc are the result of climate change - Global Warming and these can exacerbate otherwise relatively insignificant blooms, until they become a real danger both to marine life and those who rely on it.

i always think that anyone who feels the need to quote "qualifications" has in fact run out of arguments and is relying on a bit of paper in the erroneous belief it makes their argument more compelling.

Firstly, i do believe that anthropogenic CO2 is causing climate change. But too many people link every disaster to climate change when there is little or no evidence to prove it. That just gives ammunition to Deniers. My qualifications was just to show that i do know about blooms - i have studied them both as a student and as part of my work.

'Changes in oceanographic characteristics' is nice and vague. And most of these have little or no DIRECT relationship to climate change. Yes we know about El Nino and La Nina, you may know about others like the PDO, but these changes happen irrespective of climate - climate change may attenuate or reinforce other 'oceanographic characteristics' but being able to link algal blooms to climate change is tenuous at best. Temperature can be a factor - but it doesn't need to invoke climate change as a cause, Blooms also occur in cold water. 2 main factors are nutrients and sunlight. Grazing by zooplankton (or rather the lack of it) is probably next,

Edited by rickudon

"No climate change in Bangsaen" - Really - So bang Saen is on a different planet to the rest of us?

No, But i think you may well be. coffee1.gif

Please try and get over yourself, and see this so called problem in Bangsaen for what it is wai2.gif

• 1 month later...