Is there any problem bringing a suitcase full of snacks to Thailand?

Old Fool

I'm bringing my girlfriend a 20" suitcase and figured I would just carry it on the plane. Since I don't need it for clothes, I'm planning to load it with gift items like cookies and chocolate and knick knacks. Is there going to be a problem with doing this when going through customs? ( I understand the liquor and cigarette rules.)

Doubtful, especially if clearing customs in Bangkok. In the unlikely event that you are stopped and questioned, be certain to explain that the snacks are for personal consumption only.

,,,,That includes smack,,,,

I have been coming in and out of Thailand for more than 18 years and have never had an issue with bringing in food stuffs which includes meat and fruit. If it is only enough for your own consumption they are not worried.

The sniffer airport dogs will love your suitcase!

Don't be surprised if they race toward you without a handler.cheesy.gif

Your chances of getting it through is 50-50.

Good luck.

Forget the sniffer dogs worry about the sniffer customs agents. I was flying back to USA and had to change planes. When walking in the airport I saw from corner of my eye agent give a sign to customs agent I had to walk thru. She goes do you have food on you? I said just a ham and cjheese sandwich they gave me on the plane. She says NO FOOD. I said I didn't buy it and bring it from another country it was given to me on the plane figured I'd eat it later. She said made no difference had to toss it right there.

I have seen Canadian Border Patrol tv program where the agents will let in some foods if sealed others they won't and you have to declare your carrying food. If not you will be fined if they find any.

Edited by Tony125

If coming from USA, they will throw all of that in trash before you get on plane. Empty suitcase should be no problem with Thai customs.

BS, I fill my suitcase with Candy and Salami one suitcase full everytime , 1 with clothes SFO to BKK , 25x in 8 years , Never been Stopped, why do people post crap?

Since nearly 20 years we and many family members and friends bring/brought suitcases stuffed with sweets, snacks whatever.

Absolute standard procedure.

My next order will arrive late in July :>)

Just last week got a bunch of chocolates, coffee, salami etc.

NEVER been stopped/fined at Thai customs.

It would be your most unlucky day to have any problems with that.

I don't say it is 100% legal (especially meat products/sausages).

But the chance that a western tourist would get into problems must be lower than 1:1000.

Avoid the real critical stuff esp. cigarettes and alcohol (of course!).

The only hurdle during all the years was the check-in in Europe.

At 10 kg excess baggage some airlines are not amused tongue.png

I can not comment on US customs of course.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I'd bring beer, wine, laptops, iPhones, facial serum, etc.

Thailand is full of snacks, chocolates and cookies, 555

Be cautious with alcohol and cigarettes.

Never above the allowed limit !!!!

If coming from USA, they will throw all of that in trash before you get on plane. Empty suitcase should be no problem with Thai customs.

BS, I fill my suitcase with Candy and Salami one suitcase full everytime , 1 with clothes SFO to BKK , 25x in 8 years , Never been Stopped, why do people post crap?

The poster is not posting crap, if you do not like it then just move on instead of complaining.

What is crap to you may not be crap to other people.

I'd bring beer, wine, laptops, iPhones, facial serum, etc.

Thailand is full of snacks, chocolates and cookies, 555

Be cautious with alcohol and cigarettes.

Never above the allowed limit !!!!

1 liter is the limit "duty free". How much is the duty for additional liters? Can't be that much, 300B at most.

I like Trader Joe's box wine, but it's from Chile and Australia and is loaded with sulfates, which cause flushing.

But if I find a better quality Cali box wine, I'm gonna guess the contents hold exactly one liter, 555

I have been coming in and out of Thailand for more than 18 years and have never had an issue with bringing in food stuffs which includes meat and fruit. If it is only enough for your own consumption they are not worried.

Also; Don't forget the UK Customs/Border control will accept any rubbish through.

Not sure about Pork though?

This is not at all true. I bring snacks, meat, chocolates, and tons of sugar free stuff every year (hard to get sugar free here) and have never had a problem from the US and/or Thailand. This includes carry on luggage that was hand checked in the US.

With a carry on make sure you have NO liquids and nothing sharp or dangerous. Bring your snacks and enjoy...don't worry!!

Not a problem as long as all the food and snacks is sealed and packaged air tight.

I once brought 20Kg of Prime Rib from Singapore through customs in 2 10Kg wrapped packages for a friend of mine who ran a restaurant in Bangkok then.

He gave me a free Prime Rib dinner for two as my payment for carrying the meat.

The only concern they had was that the meat was vacumn sealed tightly.

My luggage was a small carry on bag with a change of clothes. and 20 Kg of shrink wrapped meat I checked as baggage.

But this was back in 1980, I am not sure they would let you do it today.

I think you get the picture. Lots of people, including me, do it every time they travel to Thailand with no problems.

I bring in muesli, strong teabags and real chocolate.

Edited by Enoon

The issue is less to do with it being food. It's more to do with control of insects/pests/larvae/etc. And these can infest food and end up infesting the target country (which would otherwise have been immune).

You may find this most often in fresh fruits and meats (as they can host insects nicely for transport). Chocolates and cookies should not be a problem at all (I've carried them into Thailand so often from Switzerland without an issue).

However, if it does look like you have a LOT for the purpose of sale it MAY cause an issue if they actually check your bag. So don't bring 10 'boxes' of 25 of chocolate bars from COSTCO as it will look like you are just going to re-sell them :)

Bring an assortment of 'loose' 100g chocolate bars shouldn't cause a problem. Note: Chocolate *DOES* expire so you may not want to bring too much unless you plan to eat it all quickly :)

1 liter is the limit "duty free". How much is the duty for additional liters? Can't be that much, 300B at most.

There is no official mechanism in place to pay duty on over-limit booze or tobacco.

Walk through Green and get stopped = World of hurt.

Walk through Red and declare = There are reports of "duty" being paid and exit permitted, there are also reports of the opposite (dump it, evidenced by the very visible dump bins by Red).

OK it sounds like it should be no problem. I guess I was concerned that I might have to pay taxes to bring gift items in. Last time I bought some candy at the airport it was sealed as duty free, so it made me think about it.

make sure you pick up the correct suitcase at the airport and not the one filled with $20,000 of diamonds

if the suitcase is "filled" with 20.000 USD of diamonds, it is a really really small suitcase - maybe in barbie doll format.

"I bring in muesli, strong teabags and real chocolate"

"Strong" teabags? I'm not a tea drinker, but I'm smart enough to know if you want stronger tea, just leave the teabag in the water longer.

Big C carries several varieties of muesli from Yurp.

And Thailand has the world's best chocolate -- Linn truffles with the melt-in-your-mouth centers, from Switzerland.

Glad I got that sorted out, and your burden of carrying a full bag of unnecessary crap is over, 555

Put a needle hole in packets like potato chips & cornflakes , or from the low pressure the bag may explode , and give you a nice surprise when you open it.( and you gain some space ). As soon as your "home" here , tape the holes shut.