Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’

webfact

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Belgium which is the central headquarters of the EU has the world's largest and deepest snout trough?

What has it ever created except smoked salmon sandwiches by the thousands every day of the week to feed said snouts. Plus it has ordered all member countries to open their doors and admit millions of economic refugees searching for free welfare (money, accommodation and health services).

Britain is well rid of the EU and has saved themselves millions of pounds that would otherwise go toward the lavish lifestyles of it's members.

What Belgium has ever created?

Well, in 1944 they prevented that all Brits would have spoken German today.

I know from a friend in Wales that he voted leave to stop immigration and with absolutely no thought about the complexity of the withdrawal process. Almost literally he seemed to think telling Brussels ' we're out ' would do.

The only complex bit being Cameron refusing to say "we're out".

Cameron couldn't say it because the referendum is only advisory and ' we're out ' has to pass Parliament first apparently.

I do love this "advisory" nonsense that has only just been mentioned the moment the vote didn't go the way of team remain. How convenient.

Technically speaking the referendum wasn't legally binding, but to ignore the referendum result would make a complete farce of the democratic system and completely undermine everything these politicians supposedly stand for. As much as they may hate the result, they have to go along with it. They were the ones who initiated it after all, and they are the ones who have been banging on for the last year or so about how important the vote was. To now say it was only "advisory" will not wash with not only the Brexiters, but anyone who believes in the basic principles of democracy.

I know from a friend in Wales that he voted leave to stop immigration and with absolutely no thought about the complexity of the withdrawal process. Almost literally he seemed to think telling Brussels ' we're out ' would do.

Cameron couldn't say it because the referendum is only advisory and ' we're out ' has to pass Parliament first apparently.

I do love this "advisory" nonsense that has only just been mentioned the moment the vote didn't go the way of team remain. How convenient.

Technically speaking the referendum wasn't legally binding, but to ignore the referendum result would make a complete farce of the democratic system and completely undermine everything these politicians supposedly stand for. As much as they may hate the result, they have to go along with it. They were the ones who initiated it after all, and they are the ones who have been banging on for the last year or so about how important the vote was. To now say it was only "advisory" will not wash with not only the Brexiters, but anyone who believes in the basic principles of democracy.

The advisory thing isn't nonsense, but let's wait and see what the future brings.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/britain-could-reverse-historic-brexit-175200987.html

Parliament could ignore it, since the referendum is not legally binding until the prime minister invokes the EU’s Article 50. Prime Minister David Cameron, who will resign in October, is leaving that detail to the next PM who is likely to be Boris Johnson, a Brexit proponent. But that was before the fallout.

Scotland has veto power over the prime minister and parliament invoking Article 50. If parliament changes that law, the Scots will call for another referendum on their independence in order to remain in the EU.

The UK has 2 years to negotiate terms with the EU, according to Article 50. What if free trade was negotiated (similar to Norway’s deal, which is included in its common market and open borders plan)? The downside is that parliament would not have a vote and would still have to pay a hefty membership fee.

Edited by Berty100

The advisory thing isn't nonsense, but let's wait and see what the future brings.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/britain-could-reverse-historic-brexit-175200987.html

Parliament could ignore it, since the referendum is not legally binding until the prime minister invokes the EUs Article 50. Prime Minister David Cameron, who will resign in October, is leaving that detail to the next PM who is likely to be Boris Johnson, a Brexit proponent. But that was before the fallout.

The UK has 2 years to negotiate terms with the EU, according to Article 50. What if free trade was negotiated (similar to Norways deal, which is included in its common market and open borders plan)? The downside is that parliament would not have a vote and would still have to pay a hefty membership fee.

Advisory is a very poor choice of words - it is not advisory... The referendum was not called to gather advise it was to give the local citizen a say on whether UK was in or out - you can do that through hiring a pollster or having a Royal commission (much cheaper too). Canada has had several referendums on independence an all understood it to be giving Quebec citizens the choice to stay or go.... a referendum typically does not come into force automatically - it it is a mandate or will of the people... The only honourable way it could not come to pass -- is if a newer mandate is received from the public saying they don't want to leave -- either through an election or other referendum.

If the word ' advisory ' is so wrong why are so many politicians, commentators etc using it ?

Of course the referendum isn't binding but the consequences of ignoring it would be immense however there's no need to mock those who use it and how do you know they voted or would have voted, they're just stating fact.

Belgium which is the central headquarters of the EU has the world's largest and deepest snout trough?

What has it ever created except smoked salmon sandwiches by the thousands every day of the week to feed said snouts. Plus it has ordered all member countries to open their doors and admit millions of economic refugees searching for free welfare (money, accommodation and health services).

Britain is well rid of the EU and has saved themselves millions of pounds that would otherwise go toward the lavish lifestyles of it's members.

That's pretty lame if you are a Belgian. I'm not .

Saxophone, jpeg conversion, co-invented the www., the contraceptive pill, Mercator's projection, roller skates, first working internal combustion engine........oh, and pralines.

http://www.xpats.com/10-best-belgian-inventions

Parliament could ignore it, since the referendum is not legally binding until the prime minister invokes the EU’s Article 50. Prime Minister David Cameron, who will resign in October, is leaving that detail to the next PM who is likely to be Boris Johnson, a Brexit proponent. But that was before the fallout.

Scotland has veto power over the prime minister and parliament invoking Article 50. If parliament changes that law, the Scots will call for another referendum on their independence in order to remain in the EU.

The UK has 2 years to negotiate terms with the EU, according to Article 50. What if free trade was negotiated (similar to Norway’s deal, which is included in its common market and open borders plan)? The downside is that parliament would not have a vote and would still have to pay a hefty membership fee.

Of course it's nonsense. You can't tell the public that they are going to have their say and then once they have had it, suddenly come up with the above list of get out clauses as to why the say of the public can be ignored, even if the list happens to be true....

...well you can, but in doing so, you will be making a complete mockery of the entire democratic system, and then once you have done that, where do you go from there?

How about the China deal.

They don't pay anything, but provide all the goods sold in the EU.

Are we going to reduce the UK minimum wage to GBP.2/hr to compete with them?

He managed to say, "i'm out" pretty quickly.

If the word ' advisory ' is so wrong why are so many politicians, commentators etc using it ?

Of course the referendum isn't binding but the consequences of ignoring it would be immense however there's no need to mock those who use it and how do you know they voted or would have voted, they're just stating fact.

It is called "spinning".... where because of your own bias you word it in such a way belittle or not what it actually is. Up until after the results did they go around calling it an "advisory" poll... taking the decision directly to the people.... then after when it goes opposite your bias you reword it to be something as ... nothing important... just advisory.

It is called "spinning".... where because of your own bias you word it in such a way belittle or not what it actually is. Up until after the results did they go around calling it an "advisory" poll... taking the decision directly to the people.... then after when it goes opposite your bias you reword it to be something as ... nothing important... just advisory.

Prior to the poll and results I heard regular reminders it wasn't binding coupled with the obvious warning a leave vote couldn't be ignored.

I can't imagine everybody who used the word was spinning because they didn't like the outcome.

Of course it's nonsense. You can't tell the public that they are going to have their say and then once they have had it, suddenly come up with the above list of get out clauses as to why the say of the public can be ignored, even if the list happens to be true....

...well you can, but in doing so, you will be making a complete mockery of the entire democratic system, and then once you have done that, where do you go from there?

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/25/12031254/no-brexit-article-50

Does this mean Brexit could just, like, not happen?

Absolutely — as long as Article 50 isn’t invoked. "Once Article 50 is invoked, the process is irreversible," Slate's Joshua Keating notes. "The UK can't back out."

But there’s no requirement that the UK invoke Article 50 in a timely fashion. Indeed, both Cameron and Johnson have said they think it’s appropriate to dawdle; Cameron says he’ll leave the decision to invoke to his successor, and Johnson has said there’s no rush.

It wouldn’t be tenable for the government to just completely ignore the vote forever, even though that is legally permissible. That said, there are some more plausible, clever ways that the government could get around actually exiting.

Edited by Berty100

Prior to the poll and results I heard regular reminders it wasn't binding coupled with the obvious warning a leave vote couldn't be ignored.

I can't imagine everybody who used the word was spinning because they didn't like the outcome.

That is just stating a fact, but calling it advisory is spin. I doubt that if the results went the other way the same people would be calling it advisory - it was the will of the people....

No class whatsoever.

If you're referring to that brandy-swilling twerp Juncker, you have hit the nail on the head.
He went up to Farage at the beginning of the session and said: "I'm surprised to see you here. Didn't you support Brexit? The people voted for Brexit. Why are you here?"
No class, indeed

No class whatsoever.

If you're referring to that brandy-swilling twerp Juncker, you have hit the nail on the head.
He went up to Farage at the beginning of the session and said: "I'm surprised to see you here. Didn't you support Brexit? The people voted for Brexit. Why are you here?"
No class, indeed

Nice try to twist my intention. No cigar.

No class whatsoever.

No class, indeed

And so clueless that he does not understand that currently Farage is still an MEP and has every right and reason to be there.

The reason why it deserves to be mocked is because it is only being mentioned after the referendum, not before, and you know full well that had the result been to remain, the people who are now mentioning it would be saying something completely different, along the lines of, "we have been instructed by the British people, and we will follow their instructions as we said we would". None of this advisory nonsense would get a mention.

The original idea of a greater Europe was a good one.

Problem now is it has been hi-jacked by Junkers and his beurocratic cronies.

What is in it for me, what can i get out of Europe, not what can i do for Europe.

To most of the people's thinking this is true but I always thought that it was German's idea to become the top dog in command as things went along. The EU needs The UK much more then The UK needs them,and forget what our Negro leader said,The UK will always be first in the minds of The US sitting by each other's side. ALWAYS.

The reason why it deserves to be mocked is because it is only being mentioned after the referendum, not before, and you know full well that had the result been to remain, the people who are now mentioning it would be saying something completely different, along the lines of, "we have been instructed by the British people, and we will follow their instructions as we said we would". None of this advisory nonsense would get a mention.

Ah, you mean like Farage who said before the vote that a 52-48 vote would need to be revoted?

Nigel Farage gave a jolly good speech that includes the above quotes. It was on the BBC site. You can view it.

here I think.

I'm lukewarm about Farage, but yes it was a good speech. Went down well with a surprising number of MEPs judging by the applause.

Farage added: “I know that virtually none of you have ever done a proper job in you lives… or worked… or worked in business… or worked in trade… or indeed ever created a job.”

Instant classic !!

Farage is great ! I hope nothing derails the exit and that many others will follow.

It's worth a watch. Extremely funny. Particularly the bit when he rounds on them for never having a proper job. Reminded me of a 'Carry On' comedy. The reaction on the faces around have to be seen, a mixture of amusement and shock.

Don't agree with Farage's politics in the main, but thumbs up for this one.

Is Nigel Farage right to say MEPs have not done 'proper jobs'?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/28/is-nigel-farage-right-meps-have-not-done-proper-jobs

Ah, you mean like Farage who said before the vote that a 52-48 vote would need to be revoted?

Farage would have rightly received pretty short shrift from not only other politicians, but also i think the public, and would have become marginalized, had he pushed for yet another vote, on the back of a remain win, no matter how slim. All the people who are now saying the referendum was only advisory, would be calling him an anti-democratic poor loser who was trying to defy the will of the nation.

Farage added: “I know that virtually none of you have ever done a proper job in you lives… or worked… or worked in business… or worked in trade… or indeed ever created a job.”

Instant classic !!

Farage is great ! I hope nothing derails the exit and that many others will follow.

It's worth a watch. Extremely funny. Particularly the bit when he rounds on them for never having a proper job. Reminded me of a 'Carry On' comedy. The reaction on the faces around have to be seen, a mixture of amusement and shock.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/28/is-nigel-farage-right-meps-have-not-done-proper-jobs

Another misquote by the media….he said "virtually" none of them had held a proper job.

Are you drunk!

In 1944 Britain liberated Belgium from German occupation.

Instant classic !!

Another misquote by the media….he said "virtually" none of them had held a proper job.

Spin away....coffee1.gif