More than 100,000 illegal foreigners rounded up since October 2015

webfact

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously doubt those figures

It would suggest a high degree of efficiency from the thai authorities

Even if it only cost 1000 baht to process each individual, 100,000 would mean the government spent 100 million baht on this

I too doubt those figures, however immigration and police are known to confiscate everything they can turn into cash from mobile phones and of course the cash.

Many of those foreigners are getting court in provinces near borders so they can be send direct back to the border. What I do not understand is why they don't get prosecuted and send to court.

If a foreigner is illegal in Thailand the law states that they must be presented to a judge in court who will put a fine on them or jail them.

Something surely is missing in this story.

Another 'get the foreigners - they're to blame for everything' campaign coming to a theatre near you...

W

Did you not read the part that said they were here illegally? That means they were breaking the law. Foreigner or not, there are consequences for breaking the law, and in this case, it is deportation. Thailand is sovereign country, not some free-for-all where all can come and do as they please.

By your logic, when the police make a drug bust, it is part of some evil conspiracy to demonize drug dealers.

Every 'crackdown' on foreigners follows the same path. If you accidentally tread on a snake, it will bite you, so naturally you conclude the snake acts aggressively under certain conditions.

Many people learn how to draw conclusions from what they observe, and sometimes the conclusions are not obvious. Understanding the nature of the snake helps.

Perhaps you missed that class...

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

Another 'get the foreigners - they're to blame for everything' campaign coming to a theatre near you...

W

Did you not read the part that said they were here illegally? That means they were breaking the law. Foreigner or not, there are consequences for breaking the law, and in this case, it is deportation. Thailand is sovereign country, not some free-for-all where all can come and do as they please.

By your logic, when the police make a drug bust, it is part of some evil conspiracy to demonize drug dealers.

Every 'crackdown' on foreigners follows the same path. If you accidentally tread on a snake, it will bite you, so naturally you conclude the snake acts aggressively under certain conditions.

Smart people draw conclusions from what they observe, and sometimes the conclusions are not obvious.

Perhaps you missed that class...

Winnie

You were right about one thing, it is foreigners that get blamed for illegal immigration.clap2.gif

Even if it only cost 1000 baht to process each individual, 100,000 would mean the government spent 100 million baht on this

I have a nice calculator I can sell you if you want. It would be 10 million not 100 million

It may be nice, but it has accuracy issues.

I strongly suggest you do not use it for any critical calculations involving finance.

what I worry about abit is in the city I live in, in the last 3 years the Muslims are growing in numbers fast, does this mean they are moving out of the south, or are they coming from other countries? if coming from other countries are they legal.? why this is a worry is while they down south, the army and police can control them if needed, but if they spread out Thailand will be in trouble soon.

I have a nice calculator I can sell you if you want. It would be 10 million not 100 million

You had better throw your calculator away.....it's faulty.

100,000 x 1,000 = 100,000,000

I hope it came with a receipt.........

Your calculator is defective!

You better buy a new calculator. It is 100 million. 100,000 and add 3 zero = 100,000,000.

Foreigners looking for a place to hang out and hide, or a place to sample the wares of children and prostitutes, or a place to work their cons or drug dealing often choose Thailand because they know law enforcement is pitifully poor and the police are pitifully corrupt. They're opportunists, they go where they can indulge their behaviours in relative safety.

Who is to blame for that? The foreigners or Thais?

And how on earth did 100,000 people get to stay illegally in Thailand anyway? That seems like a lot of people to me...

Winnie

Foreigners looking for a place to hang out and hide, or a place to sample the wares of children and prostitutes, or a place to work their cons or drug dealing often choose Thailand because they know law enforcement is pitifully poor and the police are pitifully corrupt. They're opportunists, they go where they can indulge their behaviours in relative safety.

And how on earth did 100,000 people get to stay illegally in Thailand anyway? That seems like a lot of people to me...

Winnie

Last year it was estimated there were over 60,000 Illegals living in Australia. NOT counting the boat people and those in detention.

And most of them arrived on a Plane.

How on earth? Absolutely.

Good, helps us - who do things by the book - to gain at least a fraction of positive recognition and peace of mind. I wish my home country (where I am treated like a foreigner and 2nd class citizen right now) would act similarly strict.

W

They had a similar campaign in the Uk just last week.

Fort the same reason, To make a hopeless PM look better so he could win a referendum.

Thankfully that little scheme didn't work out too well for him.

One lives in hope but knows about futility.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

Winnie

You think Thais are totally corrupt and incompetent. Yet 100,000 have been rounded up and deported.

And how did they get here? Around 30,000,000 million tourists each year, long jungle clad land borders with 3 relatively poor countries, and 2,000,000 foreign workers who might overstay their welcome. Hard to figure, ain't it.

The 100,000 figure is such a nice round number. It looks good in print.

Just a little consideration for the economic impact: it is likely the majority of illegal immigrants (excepting the scam artists and drug dealers) are engaged in low wage work that contributes to the Thai economy, and places only minimal burdens on government services. There is a net positive to the economy that is often ignored. If say 80,000 of those 100,000 were actually working, then the "loss' of those workers would be a significant step back for some businesses.

I'm not arguing against their arrest and deportation; instead, I'm arguing for an understanding of how low wage illegal foreign workers are not necessarily "bad" people.

That's pretty good going, well done.

Nz police just busted a gang with a boat trying to smuggle over 500 kg of meth into NZ on the west coast of the Nth Island.

Seems that the busted ones, gave up the aussie who was not included in the arrests made at the time.

So this man would have walked freely through LOS if not for the good work from NZ police and the Thais for grabbing him.

The lot in the pic look like a real nice bunch of tourists for LOS.

What a shambles it has become , very sad indictmant on authorities that let this scum into Thailand.

Good to see 100k of them rounded up, keep going it might have effect when you get to 500k+