Rice pledging scheme case to be expedited as Thai govt gets tough on corruption

webfact

Rice pledging scheme case to be expedited as Govt gets tough on corruption

BANGKOK, 30 June 2016 (NNT) – The Prime Minister has instructed related agencies to quickly proceed with the rice pledging scheme case while stressing the government’s commitment to eradicating corruption.

Gen Chart-udom Tithasiri, chairman of the committee responsible for inspecting government spending, and Mr Prayong Preeyachitt, Secretary-General of the Office of Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission, together announced the results of the latest meeting of the National Anti-Corruption Committee chaired by Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha.

According to them, the Prime Minister highlighted the government’s determination to stamp out corruption in a concrete manner. He also assigned the Education Ministry to train more teachers for the implementation of the Growing Good Project, which is aimed to incorporate the teaching of moral values into the school curriculum.

Concerning the case stemming from the rice pledging program of the previous government, Gen Prayut called on the newly-formed investigative subcommittee to expedite its operations in line with the legal framework. Another committee was also set up to follow up on the investigative work and ensure its effectiveness.

In addition, the premier encouraged all to uphold royal teachings of His Majesty the King as a guideline for preventing corruption and raising awareness of the problem.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-06-30 footer_n.gif

What hypocrisy invoking the teachings of The King on corruption.

I'm sure HM didn't say anything about getting into power and, as a matter of priority, putting the wealth of cronies etc off limits.

Worthy of an LM charge perhaps ?

The Prime Minister has instructed related agencies to quickly proceed with the rice pledging scheme case while stressing the government’s commitment to eradicating corruption.

Does this mean that Yingluck won't be taking any more 3 month vacations in Issaan while her lawyers try to find another 1,000 witnesses to delay the trial?

What hypocrisy invoking the teachings of The King on corruption.

I'm sure HM didn't say anything about getting into power and, as a matter of priority, putting the wealth of cronies etc off limits.

Worthy of an LM charge perhaps ?

If in doubt about why there is corruption in Thailand, think 1.75 trillion baht.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

lets be honest, the biggest problem in Thailand are all the bullsh*t excuses that are used to stall/slow down any prosecutions/court cases where wealthy people are involved. Something that should be through the courts in a matter of months takes many years because the lawyers come up with absolute crap reasons and the courts allow it. Way past time that the courts deal with these cases in an appropriate time frame and manner, allowing those charged to do as they please, leave the country and simply ignore the laws shows just how pathetic thai justice really is. When we have people on bail being charged with even more crimes and still allowed to be free it is way obvious there is a massive problem in this country, maybe they need magistrates/judges from overseas that will actually push these cases through to be finalized instead of granting more and more postponements so that the guilty people can avoid jail time etc, would be great to see some of these cretins finally being tossed into jail where they belong.

Lots wrong with this story.

The chair of the meeting is probably the wrong man to hold up as a practical example of fighting corruption.

Moral values cannot be taught or handed down, but must be a process of guided discovery.

Moral values are not absolute but represent individual choices from a spectrum of values.

Effective teaching on corruption needs to come from someone of humble origins who understand the pressures which make corruption acceptable to the poor.

The Prime Minister has instructed related agencies to quickly proceed with the rice pledging scheme case while stressing the government’s commitment to eradicating corruption.

Does this mean that Yingluck won't be taking any more 3 month vacations in Issaan while her lawyers try to find another 1,000 witnesses to delay the trial?

The real question is "which case is the PM talking about?". There is the Yingkuck case, which has already proceeded to trial, and there is the G2G Fraud case, which is moving toward trial. Is the PM talking about these two cases, or some other one?

I suspect the PM actually is not talking in specifics, and he is only applying the usual broad brush, and just flapping his jaw. The people actually involved in moving these cases along are probably shaking their heads.

Thanks, Mr. PM for that little pep talk, and clear evidence you are a strong, wise, and decisive leader.

The chair of the meeting is probably the wrong man to hold up as a practical example of fighting corruption.

Moral values cannot be taught or handed down, but must be a process of guided discovery.

Moral values are not absolute but represent individual choices from a spectrum of values.

Effective teaching on corruption needs to come from someone of humble origins who understand the pressures which make corruption acceptable to the poor.

Excellent opinion, and very true. Thank you.

Winnie

A new sub-committee, with another new committee to watch the new committee?

Classic bureaucratic mishegas. But a nice way to spread the payments around.

Moral values can be taught, and MUST be taught, but they also must be learned.

In a land where 'Kow Tow' and making 'Face' is more important than moral values,

teaching moral values, needs to be coupled to balancing them versus

the driving force of the culture ; one-upmanship to make Face.

If your place in society is determined by your wealth, possesions and power,

and the way you gained either is not an issue of consequence,

then that is a fundamental moral vacuum and MUST be addressed forcefully.

Edited by animatic

well he keeps making all the right noises but what is the point? to delay the next elections which wont change anything anyway? any way we have to enjoy our time here and enjoy the entertainment factor. no point getting upset about a system that we can not change. come to think about it i doubt anyone can change it, even the good general and his brave army.

Don't mean to be personally insulting but your post is complete rubbish.

Of course moral values can be taught, you do not have to rob a bank to then be told it's wrong. We teach our children moral values, the rights and wrongs, the do's and don'ts from the minute they are alive and kicking.

"Moral values are not absolute but represent individual choices from a spectrum of values."

Goodness me this sentence sounds like it was written by a pot smoking student from the 60's. Well, from what I can tell from your meaning a persons "spectrum of values" is indeed what defines a moral code and it is what people use when making their choices in life. Also the "spectrum of values" is developed through a learning process.

Some may argue we are built with an automatic moral compass but i am not sure if I truly believe that, I think our upbringing (the parents) and the behaviour of influential figures in society shape how we end of behaving in society. (There are many papers and articles linking how a persons upbringing links to their behaviour in later life...)

So, in short of course you can teach moral values.

The real question is "which case is the PM talking about?". There is the Yingkuck case, which has already proceeded to trial, and there is the G2G Fraud case, which is moving toward trial. Is the PM talking about these two cases, or some other one?

I suspect the PM actually is not talking in specifics, and he is only applying the usual broad brush, and just flapping his jaw. The people actually involved in moving these cases along are probably shaking their heads.

Thanks, Mr. PM for that little pep talk, and clear evidence you are a strong, wise, and decisive leader.

Yep, agree. It's simply,, "blah, blah, blah,,, make everything better, blah, blah blah". Tomorrow we can look forward to some more "blah, blah, blah,make everything better, blah, blah, blah".

And so it continues.

Don't mean to be personally insulting but your post is complete rubbish.

Of course moral values can be taught, you do not have to rob a bank to then be told it's wrong. We teach our children moral values, the rights and wrongs, the do's and don'ts from the minute they are alive and kicking.

"Moral values are not absolute but represent individual choices from a spectrum of values."

Goodness me this sentence sounds like it was written by a pot smoking student from the 60's. Well, from what I can tell from your meaning a persons "spectrum of values" is indeed what defines a moral code and it is what people use when making their choices in life. Also the "spectrum of values" is developed through a learning process.

Some may argue we are built with an automatic moral compass but i am not sure if I truly believe that, I think our upbringing (the parents) and the behaviour of influential figures in society shape how we end of behaving in society. (There are many papers and articles linking how a persons upbringing links to their behaviour in later life...)

So, in short of course you can teach moral values.

Are your moral values the same as Prayuth's? I seriously hope not. His are the moral values he sees being "taught" to Thai school kids, by which he presumably means being rammed down their throats in the usual memorise and repeat process. Setting aside the observation that Thai teachers are ineffective at teaching almost everything, can you really see children in schools signing up for the "moral values" of a old, reactionary Army general? would you want that for Thai children?

Ex pot smoking students from the 60s and 70s have been running the world for the last 20 years or so, some have done a better job than others. My own moral values were formed in that time, but were not taught. My education both at school and from my parents gave me the analytical and critical thinking tools to form my own opinions on right and wrong but I ended up with neither my parents nor my teachers moral code, but one of my own. Freedom of information and expression was essential to that process, as was exposure to religion although I did not end up as a religious person.

I think we need to hope and believe that Thai children will be able to rise above their upbringing and the examples of their "influential figures" and still prove able to adopt moral values which will move this country forward out of its current ethical void.