Realities of teaching in Thailand without work permit

my wife was tought (the spell checker as an amazing lack of knowledge regarding irregular verbs) by thai teachers, went to high school, to uni, she never had one farang teacher and... she knows NOTHING.

she honestly has not got a clue - and she is not dumb at all.

she does not know geography, neighboring countries, asean, vietnam war (her mother fled from laos!!!), she's been to australia 3 times and germany once still can't locate them on the world map.

i deliberately don't try to change this - marriage #3 - got better things to do, but i encourage every reasonably educated and motivated foreigner to give these poor, ignorant people a glimmer of education. it might change their perception that the world and the universe revolves around thailand.

I better hold my breath.

why?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my wife was tought (the spell checker as an amazing lack of knowledge regarding irregular verbs) by thai teachers, went to high school, to uni, she never had one farang teacher and... she knows NOTHING.

she honestly has not got a clue - and she is not dumb at all.

she does not know geography, neighboring countries, asean, vietnam war (her mother fled from laos!!!), she's been to australia 3 times and germany once still can't locate them on the world map.

i deliberately don't try to change this - marriage #3 - got better things to do, but i encourage every reasonably educated and motivated foreigner to give these poor, ignorant people a glimmer of education. it might change their perception that the world and the universe revolves around thailand.

Well my wife doesn't have an extensive education but she's far from stupid. Saying I heard when I first came to Thailand....Thais aren't stupid, but they do stupid things.

When I first got here I went to live with her in her home at the village. She had a small plot of land growing what I came to know as Tapioca, or Cassava. For those of you in the city a root vegetable they grow here, crush up and make I think starch powder out of it. Must be used in food manufacturing or something because it is grown all over rural Isaan.

Anyway, I'd never seen it before so I asked her.....what do they use this for? She just stared at me blankly.....(embarrassed didn't know the answer)

"up to company". What do you mean? Another blank stare. She'd been growing and picking this stuff for 20 years and never thought to ask what its purpose was.

That sums up the Thai education system for me. Lack of wonder, reasoning....any ability to think more than one move ahead. "get headache".

Lazy brain....taught to them at a very young age.

yes, the get 'headache' is just an absolute classic. heard it from several sides before. i was a problem student in my days, went through a few institutions.

but i never refused to absorb knowledge, my wife does. lock down, shutters up, 'too much today'.

i don't envy all you teaching degree people...

waiting for your reply, lostinissan

if you want to continue in german, pm me wink.png

The ones i know are getting about 20,000 baht a month, i wouldnt get out of bed for that pittance

The teachers I play football with have been here round 5-10 years.

I think that most don't have WP's.

Most teach private lessons to business people, and uni students, a big thing seems to be teaching/doing, is it TOIEC or ILTIS or something? with a points system or number system.

From limited conversations with them about it they charge 800-1200b per hour, doing 2 hour sessions with groups of business people or uni students. I guess word spreads.

From being social with them they would be earning around 80-100k p/m if I was to estimate. Which equates to about 20 hrs per week.

This is in BKK. Not even sure if a WP can be gotten based on teaching privately at different locations. They're certainly popular with their clients.

I've never been aware of any of them or anyone they know having issues .

Hope that helps. :)

The ones i know are getting about 20,000 baht a month, i wouldnt get out of bed for that pittance

The teachers I play football with have been here round 5-10 years.

I think that most don't have WP's.

Most teach private lessons to business people, and uni students, a big thing seems to be teaching/doing, is it TOIEC or ILTIS or something? with a points system or number system.

From limited conversations with them about it they charge 800-1200b per hour, doing 2 hour sessions with groups of business people or uni students. I guess word spreads.

From being social with them they would be earning around 80-100k p/m if I was to estimate. Which equates to about 20 hrs per week.

This is in BKK. Not even sure if a WP can be gotten based on teaching privately at different locations. They're certainly popular with their clients.

I've never been aware of any of them or anyone they know having issues .

Hope that helps. smile.png

Sounds a bit like me. Been teaching here for 11 years, now mainly just IELTS and other exam prep.

Not difficult to make 80,000+ a month for not many hours.

Edit: I do have a degree, CELTA and work permit!

Who is "WE" Franky bear? You have a mouse in your pocket? I love people who come on here and state "WE" like you have the support of others behind you or you speak for all. All you did was come on here with nasty, negative, misguided and rhetorical statements.

Let me say, I do not have a university degree. I think I mentioned that or at least alluded to it. I did complete school and completed a 4 year trade in

Electrical wiring / contracting with associate certificates in Electronics and Engineering. I left that industry many years ago and was a corporate trainer / National Operations manager.

Now "WE" want to know what you do "Franky bear"?

I will also say I agree with you in regards to the Thai education system. It is dreadful. I also have a child and I despair at the thought of him going to school. One thing I have learned is that I wont be sending him to a private school. Thing I haven't mentioned, and I in no way claim this to entitle me to teach here....I lived in a remote village for a year. Most wonderful respectful kids I have ever met. Most of them lived dirt floor huts, ate rats...frogs. Happiest kids I ever seen in my life. My wife's uncle, a district head teacher, who lived next door asked me if I could come and speak to the kids in English sometimes at the school. Not for money, just to help out. They didn't have funding for an English teacher. We already had groups of kids coming to our home on weekends armed with their English books for some help. In actual fact I think they were more interested in eating farang food and spending sometime in a nice house which was fine with us. Truly lovely kids. I think their parents had pushed them into going to learn English with the farang.

Thing that struck me was that they were enthralled watching documentaries about animals, world events, different countries they didn't even know existed. Try getting a kid back home to watch a show like that. They have no choice other than watch the inane drivel they show on FTA TV here. My point being, the kids want to learn in most cases. The system lets them down and they become disillusioned and lazy. I would have 120 really poor kids sitting cross legged and super well behaved for at least an hour in that little government village school. Seems to me in a private school they just do what they want. Play facebook, wander outside as the mood takes. Teacher has no control as the kid is guaranteed a pass. If the teacher dares to chastise or make an example of the kid mom and dad are there complaining the next day. And mom and dad complaining is far worse than the kid not learning anything. Its about the fees. And these are the privileged kids that will end up in the universities, have all the opportunities and will be operating on people, running the country etc.

So every week I would go to the school with my wife. She would handle the Thai side of things and I would ask them questions about their life...their likes...sports they like. I in turn would tell them things about Australia, my travels. Basically an open discussion with what ended up being the whole school 120 kids assembled for an hour. Thoroughly enjoyed it and I got as much out of it as the kids. Did I teach them proper English? Grammar etc. No. Did they learn something? Absolutely. After that year we moved away and unfortunately I couldn't spend time with the kids anymore. They did manage to employ a Thai "English" teacher. The wife's uncle was eager for me to meet her. He probably thought I would be happy to speak English with someone. She kept putting it off. In the end, I met her by chance at a school festival. She couldn't understand a bloody word I was saying! She said it was my accent. Now I don't have any sort of a thick accent and I'm well versed in talking to Thai people who understand English very "Sa lowly". Apart from the usual "How are you" "I fine thank you" "what is your name" she didn't have a clue. She's still working there 2 years later. School I spoke to last week just lost an English teacher. She couldn't control the kids. Well she got the job as an English teacher....had a degree in fashion design or something. She was Bhutanese....didn't speak English or Thai. I guess there are foreign people here using or abusing the system and aren't sincere about what they're doing. Does all this make me or others parasites?

Tl;Dr till you asked me what i do....I'm a mechanical engineer.

I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering plus a Master's degree in petroleum engineering but I choose to work as a teacher as believe it or not, I have a much better lifestyle and job satisfaction.

Do you have a degree Franky Bear? I'm asking as i think this is what your beef is all about.

I think the fact you need a degree in something here to get a teachers license is probably a good thing. At least it demonstrates the person is infact intelligent and has extended education. Probably no other way the government could measure this. No offense meant here but in other ways I don't see how having a degree in drama, the arts or even engineering necessarily better qualifies someone as an English teacher more than someone without a degree. I wouldn't imagine teaching skills ie educating others, grammar, composition etc would figure highly in anything other than an actual teaching degree. 50% of it has to be personallity as well as the technical skills. Let's face it there are many terrible "real" teachers in our own countries. They might have passed the exam but if they don't have the personallity or temperament to motivate the kids...they're just doing a job

I think the fact you need a degree in something here to get a teachers license is probably a good thing. At least it demonstrates the person is infact intelligent and has extended education. Probably no other way the government could measure this. No offense meant here but in other ways I don't see how having a degree in drama, the arts or even engineering necessarily better qualifies someone as an English teacher more than someone without a degree. I wouldn't imagine teaching skills ie educating others, grammar, composition etc would figure highly in anything other than an actual teaching degree. 50% of it has to be personallity as well as the technical skills. Let's face it there are many terrible "real" teachers in our own countries. They might have passed the exam but if they don't have the personallity or temperament to motivate the kids...they're just doing a job

Thais don't want farang for teaching grammar. We are employed as, "dancing white monkeys" so I think a degree in drama would be very helpful. No offence intended but based on my experience of 25 years working in Thailand(the first 13 years working as an English teacher) with kids at Prathom and Mathayom schools and also.

I don't see how having a degree in drama, the arts or even engineering necessarily better qualifies someone as an English teacher more than someone without a degree.

Thais have written the laws which determine who is and is not qualified. I would guess that their rationale is that someone who has shown an interest in improving their own education is more likely to be genuinely interested in the field of education.

I don't see how having a degree in drama, the arts or even engineering necessarily better qualifies someone as an English teacher more than someone without a degree.

Thais have written the laws which determine who is and is not qualified. I would guess that their rationale is that someone who has shown an interest in improving their own education is more likely to be genuinely interested in the field of education.

let's face it, laws here are a loose guideline at best. Then it's "up to you". I saw on the news the other morning. The police pulled over a lady driving a motorcycle. She was driving with one hand and holding a close to new born baby with the other. I do understand many here have no choice but to travel like this. She had no license, no helmet and the bike was unregistered. Anyway, the policeman to his credit didn't take the usual 200 baht fine. Instead he confiscated her bike and sent her on her way. She was up in arms as we're the reporters on the news. Isn't that what the copper is supposed to do?

let's face it, laws here are a loose guideline at best. Then it's "up to you".

Good luck with that defense strategy if you get arrested for working without a work permit.

It's not a defense strategy it's a fact. In all likelihood I won't be pursuing the teaching thing. If theres even a 2% chance of having serious immigration issues it's not for me

Incorrect, you need an education degree to get a licence, a degree in "something" will only get you a 2 year waiver, (unless you have passed the 4 TCT exams as well).

Incorrect, you need an education degree to get a licence, a degree in "something" will only get you a 2 year waiver, (unless you have passed the 4 TCT exams as well).

I could be wrong, but I was told yes, initially you get a 1 year waiver. After you do this 3 times you then get a 5 year license. Maybe its a 5 year waiver after a few times?

I could be wrong, but I was told yes, initially you get a 1 year waiver. After you do this 3 times you then get a 5 year license. Maybe its a 5 year waiver after a few times?

Normally it is 2 x 2 year waivers, (though some people have got a third), after that, if you have not passed the TCT exams, or achieved an education degree, or passed a teaching credential, (PGCE etc.), you will not be able to work legally in any establishment that falls under OBEC,

Although this thread (as is the norm on Thai Visa) has become judgmental, negative and pretty much an attack on the OP … I would like to answer his question.

When you generously gathered the local children to share videos, discuss them, and expand their world view … you were, in fact teaching. In the strictest interpretation of Thai law, you were actually operating as a teacher without a work permit.

In a sense, you have answered your own question .. “yes” it is possible (and easy) to teach in Thailand without a WP.

I live in Bangkok, so think that there is probably a more competitive “rat race” here .. so violation of WP standards may surface more often. In short .. I do not think anyone knows how many EFL teachers there are .. but a meaningful number do not have a WP.

I think you are a sane and responsible person with common sense, so like most things in life, if you keep a smile on your face, mind your own business, employ common sense, and listen to your instincts … you could find a way to teach and avoid problems.

Contrary to the flack you have been flying through on this thread, I believe you may be better suited to teaching than most. Your heart is really in it, and at the end of the day … that is what the kids feel and will follow you anywhere you take them.

People here act like EFL is the equivalent of being a helicopter instructor .. by folks with zero experience.

So, here is a heads up to the Thai Visa Peanut Gallery. The average American or Australian is qualified to teach children English in Thailand. The reason is so obvious, many miss it.

Ready?

THEY SPEAK ENGLISH. And by that I mean they can read and PRONOUNCE words perfectly.

My Thai wife is on the top of her class at the University. She studies longer and harder than I ever did. But you know what? Her (Thai) English instructor with a Master’s degree still cannot say “After the wedding the groom had rice in his hair” … without the listener thinking “Might want to see a doctor about that”

I teach her English … because ... DUH … I SPEAK IT !

So, to the OP .. simple … “Go for it”

Although this thread (as is the norm on Thai Visa) has become judgmental, negative and pretty much an attack on the OP … I would like to answer his question.

When you generously gathered the local children to share videos, discuss them, and expand their world view … you were, in fact teaching. In the strictest interpretation of Thai law, you were actually operating as a teacher without a work permit.

In a sense, you have answered your own question .. “yes” it is possible (and easy) to teach in Thailand without a WP.

I live in Bangkok, so think that there is probably a more competitive “rat race” here .. so violation of WP standards may surface more often. In short .. I do not think anyone knows how many EFL teachers there are .. but a meaningful number do not have a WP.

I think you are a sane and responsible person with common sense, so like most things in life, if you keep a smile on your face, mind your own business, employ common sense, and listen to your instincts … you could find a way to teach and avoid problems.

Contrary to the flack you have been flying through on this thread, I believe you may be better suited to teaching than most. Your heart is really in it, and at the end of the day … that is what the kids feel and will follow you anywhere you take them.

People here act like EFL is the equivalent of being a helicopter instructor .. by folks with zero experience.

So, here is a heads up to the Thai Visa Peanut Gallery. The average American or Australian is qualified to teach children English in Thailand. The reason is so obvious, many miss it.

Ready?

THEY SPEAK ENGLISH. And by that I mean they can read and PRONOUNCE words perfectly.

My Thai wife is on the top of her class at the University. She studies longer and harder than I ever did. But you know what? Her (Thai) English instructor with a Master’s degree still cannot say “After the wedding the groom had rice in his hair” … without the listener thinking “Might want to see a doctor about that”

Thanks mate :-)

Ready?

thumbsup.gif A great post by someone who actually understands and lives in the REAL Thailand.

Attitude and commitment, along with the ability to communicate in a native English tongue, MUST be more important than having a degree in macrame, surely.

Yes...they will a actually deport you. Many have been sent away.

Can you prove this? Give actual factual examples?

Perhaps you would prefer 5 years in the pen ?

Current Penalties and Code Sections

Offence Penalty

Working without a work permit

(Section 51)

Imprisonment for 5 years or a fine ranging from 2,000 Baht to 100,000 Baht or both

Having a work permit but engaging in an occupation other than stated in the work permit

(Section 52)

A fine not exceeding 20,000 Baht

Having a work permit but not having it on you when demanded by the police

(Section 53)

A fine not exceeding 10,000 Baht

Employing a foreigner without a work permit

(Section 54)

A fine not exceeding 100,000 Baht per person.

You're not a teacher in any way or form. You are an opportunist taking advantage of a poor country for your own gain.

To be a genuine teacher takes years at University learning so many different angles, from spotting if a child is being abused at home, to the actual subject you want to teach.

You do not have that skill like95% of the "teachers" in this country.

Exactly, so he would fit right in.

Ready?

My wife has a small restaurant, Thai university student customers. I regularly chat to the customers.

Recently, I was approached by a group of 10 customers who wanted to pay me to sit with them every night, and teach them english.

"We learn more talking to you then we learn at university"

"Seems to me many of these "schools" are more interested in a baby sitter or just having a white face"

I may be a cynic but i think all they are pretty much interested in making money.

If in a nakon nowhere Isarn they will tell you the budget is low and you get maybe 15-20 a month,but for sure they will probably con the parents into paying more for a "intense English program" with this hotshot teacher they had to source from Bangkok...all BS

dont listen to all the other wallys on here. You wont see any officers come to take you away. If you know the Pooyai you can even ride a bike around Isaan for years and never anyone stop you or ask for a licence.

The only trouble is if you cause big scene with the director but blacklisted..no way.

Maybe in Bangkok you will have trouble if you work amongst farangs..best to keep away from them

15-20k no. I have been offered between 25-30k on several occasions. That was upfront too without bonuses etc. I heard someone else claim 20k too. Just not true in my experience. I mean its not a fortune either but we should keep the facts right for anyone interested. I guess if you were in a more competitive area the pay may be lower.

Im in Isaan. I don't know about a properly trained English teacher but someone with any degree here don't seem to get a lot more, maybe 35-37k month.

20k is common, whether this is due to a plentiful supply of Filippino teachers or just the rates going down I'm not sure. Sure some guys are on 30 to 35k, but for how long ???

"Seems to me many of these "schools" are more interested in a baby sitter or just having a white face"

I may be a cynic but i think all they are pretty much interested in making money.

If in a nakon nowhere Isarn they will tell you the budget is low and you get maybe 15-20 a month,but for sure they will probably con the parents into paying more for a "intense English program" with this hotshot teacher they had to source from Bangkok...all BS

dont listen to all the other wallys on here. You wont see any officers come to take you away. If you know the Pooyai you can even ride a bike around Isaan for years and never anyone stop you or ask for a licence.

The only trouble is if you cause big scene with the director but blacklisted..no way.

Maybe in Bangkok you will have trouble if you work amongst farangs..best to keep away from them

15-20k no. I have been offered between 25-30k on several occasions. That was upfront too without bonuses etc. I heard someone else claim 20k too. Just not true in my experience. I mean its not a fortune either but we should keep the facts right for anyone interested. I guess if you were in a more competitive area the pay may be lower.

Im in Isaan. I don't know about a properly trained English teacher but someone with any degree here don't seem to get a lot more, maybe 35-37k month.

20k is common, whether this is due to a plentiful supply of Filippino teachers or just the rates going down I'm not sure. Sure some guys are on 30 to 35k, but for how long ???

I think like most things in Thailand its relevant to the area you live. I wouldn't work for 20k and I'd think anyone else that did would be crazy or desperate. I don't think a filipino teacher is in the same market as a farang teacher. Don't get me wrong, Im not criticising filipinos as a race or saying they are less a person than a European person. They're great people actually. FIippers have a lot more guile and smarts than Thais in my opinion and do speak a reasonable level of English, albeit with an accent. But they're not native speakers. Maybe at a govt school .....The Language and private schools definitely prefer at least one farang face in the place in my experience. Im sure there are many offering 20k. More fool the person that accepts it and the school or agent pockets the balance that should have been paid.

I think like most things in Thailand its relevant to the area you live. I wouldn't work for 20k and I'd think anyone else that did would be crazy or desperate. I don't think a filipino teacher is in the same market as a farang teacher. Don't get me wrong, Im not criticising filipinos as a race or saying they are less a person than a European person. They're great people actually. FIippers have a lot more guile and smarts than Thais in my opinion and do speak a reasonable level of English, albeit with an accent. But they're not native speakers. Maybe at a govt school .....The Language and private schools definitely prefer at least one farang face in the place in my experience. Im sure there are many offering 20k. More fool the person that accepts it and the school or agent pockets the balance that should have been paid.

Not native speakers, recently I was talking with a guy from the UK and a German (both in English) Guess who I could understand better. There are some horrible UK (and other) accents out there. Seriously many should learn to speak a decent level of English themselves first before unleashing their crappy language at students. Give me a filipino over an UK guy from certain area's everyday (those that don't have an accent excluded)

They are teaching Science and Maths to kids in English? Or are you fluent in Thai? Did for several years teach accounting and auditing in English at several universities in Bangkok that had business programs totally in English. Always had a work permit and never had any problems.

20k is common...

blink.png

The teachers I know in BKK are making 60-70k, with or without WP's.

They mostly earn 35-40k from their Mon-Friday job, earn extra for after school lessons, and do privates on Saturdays or Sunday charging 600-800b p/h.

They are teaching Science and Maths to kids in English? Or are you fluent in Thai? Did for several years teach accounting and auditing in English at several universities in Bangkok that had business programs totally in English. Always had a work permit and never had any problems.

I assume your referring to me? Yes they were expecting me to teach science and maths in English. Ridiculous of course. I asked him how I would do this and he gave me an example. Write the number 100 on the board. Then the English word, then the pronunciation. Not a bad example I guess but hardly teaching maths. Look I think from the gist of my story they weren't remotely concerned if the kids were taught well or not. Just a white face and someone to occupy their time. The last teacher was Bhutanese and didn't speak Thai or English! She got away with it for 3 months to and the only reason they booted her was because the kids were just wandering off. It wasn't her level of teaching skills

You'll open a can of worms and you will pay the price. As for teaching 5-12 year old's, well you have no degree, TEFL, TESOL certificates and no experience. I trained and taught in the Navy, Saudi Arabia, Singapore and Japan total 25 years on a chalk board from technical to nursery. I taught 3 years here and required, English, Math, Science, Occupational Technologies, Health and Chemistry fro M1- M4 If you know what this is and my average class size 28-55. Besides, they'll see through you and if you cause embarrasses or the kids complain to their parents, well to save face the school will cover it's own ass first.

A mate of mine rooted one of the teachers at his school.

He considered it a fling, she didn't.

She called up immigration to report him for working on a Tourist Visa.

They came, took him out of the school, fined him 500 baht, and off you go.

That's the only experience that I can offer on the subject. I would suspect that plenty more posters will have all sorts of hearsay and rumors. Off with them. smile.png

Thanks for your honesty mate. You can actually root them? hahaha. Im thinking maybe worth the risk now (only joking!)

Archived