Two died, 50 injured in bus crash

rooster59

Two died, 50 injured in bus crash

MAHA SARAKHAM: Two persons were killed and 50 others injured after an interprovincial bus from Bangkok to Roi Et province rammed into the rear of a truck trailer parked by the roadside in Borabue district of Maha Sarakham province.

The accident happened at about 4.00 am on Saturday on the road to Borabue district.

The bus, belonging to Sahaphan Roi Et Co Ltd, was taking about 50 passengers from Bangkok to Roi Et.

The badly damaged bus flipped over with its side down on the roadside ditch after ramming into the rear of the cargo trailer.

Borabue district and charity foundation rescuers came shortly after they were alerted.

Two bodies were found at the scene, one of them a bus boy, and the other was a male passenger.

Trapped passengers were pulled out by rescue team and admitted to Borabue district hospital, many of them in serious injuries.

The bus driver who was slightly injured told police the scene was very dark and he could not see the truck parked by the roadside.

Police detained both the bus and the truck driver for further questioning.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/two-died-50-injured-bus-crash/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-02

" The bus driver who was slightly injured told police the scene was very dark and he could not see the truck parked by the roadside. "

At 4 am it's never sunny ..............in Thailand so it's always " very dark " ;

maybe he forgot to say he was driving too fast or nearly sleeping or both ..And maybe he needs glasses , normal glasses and not sun glasses as many bus driver have all time .

About the truck who was parked on the left side; I use to drive many times in the night in Thailand and there are always many trucks park on the left side along all the roads; They always have their dim-dip working , lighting ..

I will write a last thing; I cycle much on main roads in Thailand and I have noticed that nearly all bus drivers like to drive in the middle of the lane for farm trucks or bicycles ;

so to much on the left side .mad.gif

" The bus driver who was slightly injured told police the scene was very dark and he could not see the truck parked by the roadside. "

At 4 am it's never sunny ..............in Thailand so it's always " very dark " ;

maybe he forgot to say he was driving too fast or nearly sleeping or both ..And maybe he needs glasses , normal glasses and not sun glasses as many bus driver have all time .

About the truck who was parked on the left side; I use to drive many times in the night in Thailand and there are always many trucks park on the left side along all the roads; They always have their dim-dip working , lighting ..

I will write a last thing; I cycle much on main roads in Thailand and I have noticed that nearly all bus drivers like to drive in the middle of the lane for farm trucks or bicycles ;

so to much on the left side .mad.gif

There was me thinking that vehicles are equipped with headlight for just such things. Maybe if the driver was actually looking at the road it would have helped

Edited by gandalf12

The Highway 7 Pattaya- Bangkok and the highway 9, both feature numerous lorries parked up on the hard shoulder at night, most of them unlit although the roads are mostly lit. This is particularly true around the large petrol stations, even where a frontage road exists, they still park on the motorway hard shoulder. This would be a relatively easy problem to fix. Bus drivers driving into these unlit and dangerous obstructions is harder to sort out, so I would vote for removing the obstructions.

A train has 2 drivers. A plane has 2 drivers

Why anyone would take an overnight bus trip here is beyond me.

Did it once Buriram to Pattaya. Spent most of the journey keeping the driver from going to sleep.........Never again.

I have used the Hua Hin to Surin overnight route several times ( and the other way too ). Prakonchaiair....;..stopped two times on route, and noticed the drivers changed. No speeding or reckless overtaking.... Guess I have been lucky.....R.I.P. to the victims.

A train has 2 drivers. A plane has 2 drivers

100% agree!

Once done and never again.

Even myself I hate driving on dark rural roads.

I don't blame the bus driver alone.

Those trucks are so miserably lighted.

Laughable flash/turning lights if working at all.

More than once I had to do a hard break when overlooking their flashing light (in bright daylight).

E.g.: on the short holidays, long weekends Thai people will use overnight buses to save valuable time.

One of the most valuable assets of a retired expat is time!

Edited by KhunBENQ

questions - by the roadside or on the road? emergency flashers working? dark? it's night time... speeding for given conditions?

It's not allowed to cite from Bangkok Post.

So in my words from the truck driver:

Engine problem. What else? -> His poorly maintained wreck again quit service wink.png

He placed some shrubbery blink.pngblink.png about a hundred meters from his trailer and then went to sleep in the truck.

Shrubbery/green stuff on the tarmac in deep dark night!!!

No lights at all you can bet.

Everyone who drives in Thailand knows this irresponsible and useless nonsense.

Do they learn that at the "driving lesson"????

No hand held emergency flash lights, no reflective vests/plates, nothing appropriate.

Lost lifes for total irresponsible behavior of the truck driver.

In a western country he could be locked up.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I would venture to say that the vast majority of Thai people who have used a mechanical device designed in the real world

have injured or killed others or themselves or broke the device so totally, that the useful life of said device was shortened to hours instead of years.

I once heard a old cowboy describe a greenhorn as being capable of tearing up an anvil, he would have gotten a chuckle here.

It was very dark, my lights not work, I was sleepy, excuses excuses, never the bloody truth. people die and still they lie.

FYI , Lights are switched off , Lights are not cost effective , load on alternator , increases fuel consumpition .

Thai logic , or lack off . LOS, Nothing changes , with time.wai2.gif

It was very dark, my lights not work, I was sleepy, excuses excuses, never the bloody truth. people die and still they lie.

Same shit different day, RIP, Cowboy Bus driver should have stayed on his Horse beatdeadhorse.gif beatdeadhorse.gif beatdeadhorse.gif beatdeadhorse.gif

FYI , Lights are switched off , Lights are not cost effective , load on alternator , increases fuel consumpition .

Thai logic , or lack off . LOS, Nothing changes , with time.wai2.gif

I assume you were all present at the scene of the accident and are speaking from a position of knowledge. If not, what gives you the right to spout this sanctimonious claptrap, casting aspersions and making unfounded accusations about a situation of which you know sod all. I get really p1ssed off reading these meaningless self righteous posts.

"sanctimonious claptrap"? Really? A little harsh for some speculation. Because that's all it is. whistling.gif

Relax and have another beer. wai.gif

Saying the driver lied, that he was a cowboy and that his lights were off doesn't sound like speculation to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I passed the crash site about 10 am the same day. It didn't look pretty. At first I thought it was two trucks. Because the truck was split in two halves.

Without adequate safety tests of vehicles, Especially public ones, this truck might have once been 2 halves of different trucks????

R.I.P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk