Dept of Land Transport ensures efficient taxi service at Don Mueang International Airport

webfact

Dept of Land Transport ensures efficient taxi service at Don Mueang International Airport

BANGKOK, 4 July 2016 (NNT) - The Department of Land Transport (DLT), in conjunction with law enforcement officers, military personnel and Don Mueang International Airport, has reorganized the taxi system, with officials monitoring the behavior of taxis during peak hours.

Deputy Director-General of the DLT Nunthapong Chertchu, along with Commander of the 11th Infantry Division Col Nithit Plianpan, police officers and representatives of Don Mueang International Airport, oversaw the project to reorganize taxis and public transport vehicles that service passengers at the airport. Officials monitored driver behavior as well as the condition of taxi cabs, in order to improve their credibility.

During peak hours, the number of taxis at the airport has been insufficient to accommodate the large influx of arriving passengers, causing people to have to walk to Vibhavadi Rangsit Road or the departure floor to find taxis. Taxis in these areas are not registered with Don Mueang International Airport and may be in violation of land traffic laws. Common violations include having expired licenses, refusing passengers, and refusing to charge passengers according to the taxi meter.

Officials have been deployed during the peak hours of 7:00am - 9:00am and 4:30pm - 8:00pm in order to prevent passengers from having their safety or passenger experience compromised.

Those who wish to report inappropriate behavior of taxi drivers can call the 24-hour hotline 1584.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-07-04 footer_n.gif

I took a taxi out to the Don this morning and it was the first time in all the years I've been involved with Thailand, without a Thai being with me, first question , did I want to go on the motor way , Yes, ok that will be 400 baht , so I reminded him the distance to Swampy the week before with a Thai , was the same and it cost 250 Baht , so I yelled and called him everything under the sun ,he kept saying are you from Germany, so I gathered he had run ins with those guy's, he then took the toll charge and then told me it cost 700 baht , I demanded the receipt and it was 70 baht, which I knew it was as I've been through this toll dozens of times , so after more abuse , I told him he got the 400 when we got to Don Mueang as he was wanting the fare now paid , (so he could chuck me out ), to sit and drive and to shut his F!!in mouth, don't worry about efficient systems, get better type of drivers and all the rest will follow.................................coffee1.gif

This could be a first for Thailand to have all taxis legal and following the rules.

For five and a half hours a day, while they're in the taxi rank itself... I guess it's better than nothing...

Officials start tightening up taxi service at Don Mueang

0407003-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Land Transportation Department and relevant agencies have started regulating taxi service at Don Meuang international airport to make sure that the cabbies will not take advantage on passengers especially during the rush hours when the number of taxies available is insufficient to meet demand.

Land Transport Department deputy director-general Nanthapong Cherdchu said Monday that the problem with not enough taxies to serve passengers usually occurs during the rush hours when many flights stop at Don Meuang airport within a short period of time.

He said many passengers find taxies, forcing several of them to hail taxies on Vibhavadi Rangsit highway or flock to the second floor of the airport terminal to call taxies most of which have not registered with the airport.

He pointed out that the problem stemmed from these unregistered cabbies who take advantage of the passengers by refusing to use meters, overcharging passengers and being selective of their choice of passengers.

Starting on Monday, officials of the Land Transport Department and relevant agencies will check every taxi and taxi driver who arrive at the airport to pick up passengers during the rush hours from 7 am to 9 am and from 4 pm to 8 pm.

Four cabbies were caught and fined 1,000 baht each for defying the regulation on the first day of this new move which will be introduced at Suvarnabhumi international airport a month from now.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/officials-start-tightening-taxi-service-don-meuang/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-05

In 15 years of using DM airport I have only ever taken the escalator to arrivals and picked up a taxi as it was dropping off a fare, I got conned while i was using the lift who claimed to be looking for a return fare for her limo service - but other than that returning taxi drivers have always used the meter and haven't caused any problems.

It's an instant rolling service - why should I be forced downstairs to join a queue and wait when there aren't enough 'authorized' airport taxis and pay 40B (?) for the privilege.

regulatory processes need patience,perseverance and a

genuine desire to improve. efficient regulatory framework

is also a prerequisite.

there will always be some problems - there are always some

black sheep.

give the system a chance.authorities seem to be making a change

for the better.

good luck.

Hmmm.... never run into as much problems - but then I just take tell them meter....

Maybe they should start a zone based airport shuttle system to hotels which is cheaper than taxi (though a little less convenient)....

Can't wait until the airport link is connected :o

Sadly, for a taxi turnaround to be successful, fares will have to be increased to keep up with inflation. I believe most taxi owners and drivers will agree.

Maybe some truth in that, but remember:

- 99% of all passengers are Thai and for most of them taxis are already quite expensive, for many a last resort, and at night time quite dangerous for ladies.

- Taxi owners (usually called 'taxi cooperatives', but this is untruthful, they are big fleet owners ready to gouge renters as much as possible. 99% of drivers are not part of the ownership they just rent the car by the day and are often responsible for repairs etc etc. There are of course some cars (green and Yellow) owned by the actual driver.

Whenever the gov't agency involved authorize a fare rise the fleet owners take advantage of it by jacking up the daily rental, meaning that the drivers actually get a zero or very tiny lift in their income.

But none of that excuses the rip offs, dangerous driving, poorly maintained vehicles etc.

Many years ago I had a taxi from DM who never put his meter on when we left the airport so I told him. He said it was broke, fair enough. I told him I was going to pay as the sign at the airport indicated i.e. meter fair plus 50 baht. Amazingly the meter started working. Magic does exist after all.

I took a taxi out to the Don this morning and it was the first time in all the years I've been involved with Thailand, without a Thai being with me, first question , did I want to go on the motor way , Yes, ok that will be 400 baht , so I reminded him the distance to Swampy the week before with a Thai , was the same and it cost 250 Baht , so I yelled and called him everything under the sun ,he kept saying are you from Germany, so I gathered he had run ins with those guy's, he then took the toll charge and then told me it cost 700 baht , I demanded the receipt and it was 70 baht, which I knew it was as I've been through this toll dozens of times , so after more abuse , I told him he got the 400 when we got to Don Mueang as he was wanting the fare now paid , (so he could chuck me out ), to sit and drive and to shut his F!!in mouth, don't worry about efficient systems, get better type of drivers and all the rest will follow.................................coffee1.gif

What a bunch of BS !

Enforcement has been promised before, but never happened.

I have flown in to DM from KL at least three times this year. Each time, I get a cab upstairs at arrivals without a problem, despite police there.

At Swampy, I have done the same twice--although the new "prevention" gates mean that the driver must reach over to take your bag, despite police who just stand there!

TIT

Sadly, for a taxi turnaround to be successful, fares will have to be increased to keep up with inflation. I believe most taxi owners and drivers will agree.

Those taxi drivers who complain that the fares are too low to make a living might make more money if they actually picked up passengers instead of shaking their head. Just a suggestion.

what did it say on the meter then?

The last time I looked 87 Baht , 400 would take you to Ayutthaya on the list in the back seat , also the cunning prick said I will drop you off at the arrival , no police no one about , as I told him I was going to report the F!!!K , and guess what you'd never get this on a Thai soap , as I entered the doors a guy asked me if I wanted a taxi , now how dumb can you get , entering a door...............................cheesy.gif

Six months ago there were still hustlers working the tourist trade as middle men. Was so obvious on the way to the taxi booking that I was really surprised.

I think he was asking 700 baht for a 350 baht ride.

What a bunch of BS !

R U Meaning I am the B/S or the taxi driver my friend, as this is only a brief account of the Journey.

give the system a chance.authorities seem to be making a change

for the better.

Authorities come up with nice plans to improve the taxi services almost on a monthly basis (new hotlines, stickers for good behavior, tougher laws, etc), but they don't enforce it and nothing improves.

So how many chances do they actually need?

The Airport Taxi situation at Swampy is super painful.... I have only used DM a few times so can't comment much there.

If you follow the rules, it means you have to wait in line, then pay an extra 50Bt, then get led to your "lucky draw" taxi. None of my "lucky draw" cabs at Swampy have ever been less than 5-years old or in clean condition. So now, I ALWAYS go to the departures area and have a quick nasty cigarette while I scope the cabs coming to drop off passengers. I choose the newest taxi I can find with a young driver and always insist on the meter. This strategy is so easy and painless.

I actually think the general quality of taxis in Bangkok is pretty good - lots of new well-maintained ones in the CBD...... but the ones who 'register' at the airports (Swampy at least) just amaze me.... so broken down, old, smelly, unkept, and full of junk glued to various parts of the interior.

So, I just hope that this new initiative somehow limits the 'DM registered' taxis to be recent model cars as this makes a huge difference - fat chance I know though! haha

The traffic's so bad when you do eventually get in a taxi from DM - it's absolute gridlock during rush hour - that you might as well walk towards town anyway!

I live on Charan Sanitwong Road which is in the west end of Bangkok, it makes sense for me to come out of Arrivals, cross over the footbridge and get a taxi down Song Prapha Road to Ratchapruek, it's usually a traffic jam-free road, even at rush hour.

Obviously that's not an option for someone with large or heavy bags...

The Airport Taxi situation at Swampy is super painful.... I have only used DM a few times so can't comment much there.

If you follow the rules, it means you have to wait in line, then pay an extra 50Bt, then get led to your "lucky draw" taxi. None of my "lucky draw" cabs at Swampy have ever been less than 5-years old or in clean condition. So now, I ALWAYS go to the departures area and have a quick nasty cigarette while I scope the cabs coming to drop off passengers. I choose the newest taxi I can find with a young driver and always insist on the meter. This strategy is so easy and painless.

I actually think the general quality of taxis in Bangkok is pretty good - lots of new well-maintained ones in the CBD...... but the ones who 'register' at the airports (Swampy at least) just amaze me.... so broken down, old, smelly, unkept, and full of junk glued to various parts of the interior.

So, I just hope that this new initiative somehow limits the 'DM registered' taxis to be recent model cars as this makes a huge difference - fat chance I know though! haha

Bangkok airports are where Bangkok Taxis go to die.

There are so many taxis in Bangkok, people pick-and-choose which taxi they want to get in to, so the taxis that don't get hailed(broken down, old, smelly, unkept, and full of junk glued to various parts of the interior), find refuge at the airports.

As others have said, I think the fleet owners are mostly responsible for this situation, but unfortunately, greed rules. As regulations change - daily rental prices go up accordingly sad.png

Edited by MaiDong