PM Prayut disagrees with forced conscription of brawling students

webfact

PM disagrees with forced conscription of brawling students

485_PM-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha has voiced his objection to a suggestion that brawling students be blacklisted and forcibly drafted into military service.

He also said that he disagreed with the calls that rapists be subjected to execution, noting that Thailand must follow the international law and respect human rights.

The prime minister explained that men who want to serve the country as soldiers must not be forced into the service against their will otherwise these men may desert if they are sent to the battle field.

As for mandatory death penalty for rapists, he said that several countries had already done away with capital punishment and, in Thailand, even the use of Section 44 of the interim charter has failed to discourage hardcore criminals.

“There is no law which is harsher than Section 44,” the prime minister said as he urged people not to attach too much on the use of capital punishment to deal with criminal offences.

Laws should be used in a constructive manner, said General Prayut as he urged the society and the media to condemn offenders of heinous crimes such as rape.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-disagrees-forced-conscription-brawling-students/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-05

The prime minister explained that men who want to serve the country as soldiers must not be forced into the service against their will otherwise these men may desert if they are sent to the battle field.

So our sons will no longer be conscripted and forced to serve in the Thai army against their will. This is great news for Thousands of Thai and Luk Khreung males who will no longer have to do compulsory military service.

So our sons will no longer be conscripted and forced to serve in the Thai army against their will. This is great news for Thousands of Thai and Luk Khreung males who will no longer have to do compulsory military service.

saw it too chook, the bloke is a confused hypocrite.

I was prepared to go with the PM until I saw his very confused comment which isn't too unusual for him.

If any organisation wants to be professional then they need to get the best personnel and already the Thai military have problems with conscripts who don't want to be there and whose family can't pull strings or pay to get them exempted.

Anyway these young student brawlers are nobodies if not surrounded by a pack of mates.

Sticking these young thugs in the military isn't the simple answer, what about the very basics starting at a younger age with parental responsibility and control plus a little more at school than the routine chanting they go through in the morning.

The call to put them in the military took me back many a long year to when the ' Teddy Boys ' etc started to appear and the cry was ' Bring Back Conscription That'll Sort Them Out ' !

Edited by NongKhaiKid

I think I've figured it out: He's so out of touch with reality that he thinks everyone can afford to pay the 30 000 Baht "exemption fee" and so people that don't pay really want to serve so he doesn't see it as conscription ;)

I agree with his point but disagree with his reasons. Fear of desertion is not the issue. The army already has enough people who don't want to be there and professionalism already appears to be a problem. It probably could not cope with a concentrated influx of more of the same spoiled brats that are already a problem. The issue is that these kids are applying urban gang mentality to their technical colleges along with exaggeration ideals of turf and inappropriate entitlement, ie "us against them" and that perennial Asian bogeyman of "face." The problem is with the administration of these colleges who in many cases apparently condone and cultivate these codes of behaviour.

That is fascinating - this article, from the PM (military man) and the next:

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-chief-supports-idea-conscripting-brawling-students-military-service/

from the police chief, diametrically disagreeing on the appropriate treatment for these thugs.

If a Thai conscript's military service is anything like my national service in the 50s it would deal the students the sort of shock they need to bring them back to the realities of life

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.

has this really changed? i hope so. no one should be forced into the services. no way i would want my son to be forced into the army here. if they dont have enough soldiers they just need to raise the pay rate till they do. maybe delay the submarine purchase so they can pay for staff to carry out their military coups.

has this really changed? i hope so. no one should be forced into the services. no way i would want my son to be forced into the army here. if they dont have enough soldiers they just need to raise the pay rate till they do. maybe delay the submarine purchase so they can pay for staff to carry out their military coups.

dying for your country is a bad idea, living for your country is better,living for yourself and your family is even better.

Serious question, but when was the last time any Thai soldiers spent any time on any battle field? And by battle field I don't mean city streets, public parks, or university campuses.. Thailand doesn't even need any army, without it'd be in much better shape

All I can say.................. is...................... BULLhocky.............BULL...... BULL............

"He also said that he disagreed with the calls that rapists be subjected to execution, noting that Thailand must follow the international law and respect human rights."

How can you deter these 'rapists' when they feel safe to carry on raping. Hang ALL the bastards............. forget "International law and respect human rights" as he uses to justify his opinion.

And as far as the brawling students, for the first time I agree with the Police Chief: :Hand them a gun and station them in the troubled south............ If they want to fight, let them 'fight for their country. If they survive they will be much better and wiser 'Thai citizens'.............

The premier also cautioned that a death penalty law against rapists could also lead to power abuse and legal exploitation. Instead, he preferred to see wrongdoers be exposed to social pressure as way of discouraging them from committing the crime again.

............................YOU JUST GOT TO BE JOKING..............................................................................................................................

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-chief-supports-idea-conscripting-brawling-students-military-service/

from the police chief, diametrically disagreeing on the appropriate treatment for these thugs.

If a Thai conscript's military service is anything like my national service in the 50s it would deal the students the sort of shock they need to bring them back to the realities of life

It isn't

Edited by tuanku

There are no "battlefields for the "modern" Thai army. There is the nasty little civil war in the South where the Thai army has managed to alienate the communities which the insurgents belong to by (alleged) systematic torture and brutality, but that is not a battlefield war but is conducted by IEDs and guerilla raids together with assaults on civilians (by both sides)

Then there are the streets of Bangkok, quiet now but who knows for how long. Here, divided loyalties even amongst voluntary enlisted men may well prove to be an issue - remember the watermelon soldiers of 2010?

The general's terminology and imagery is decades and generations out of date.

Not much danger there mate. First, the wives of army generals still need free servants and second Prayuth tends to blab off at the mouth before he thinks on what he is saying.

Serious question, but when was the last time any Thai soldiers spent any time on any battle field? And by battle field I don't mean city streets, public parks, or university campuses.. Thailand doesn't even need any army, without it'd be in much better shape

But then the poor wives of the many generals would have to do their own cleaning, gardening and washing the cars. Or even have to pay someone. This is terrible. facepalm.gif

It was a favourite catch cry back then for the "short sharp shock" but I am not sure if it ever knocked any unruly kids into line. National service is one thing and they have it here, sort-of. Using the military service as a form of penal colony is quite another. The people who were then in our age group now, all thought it was a panacea but was it really? These little sh!tz are a legacy of the Chinese Thai "little emperor" attitude of their parents who spoiled their (sons in particular) rotten. Society at large is reaping the results of several generations of incompetent parenting. The colleges encouraging it as a form of school pride is appalling!! Change the management of the schools certainly, but have a house-cleaning in the education department, first

i doubt he meant that.reference is to brawling students.

clarification will be helpful please.

Why not take the fighting students to a place (old Building) where they must fight to the death. Bring their families and friend to cheer them on.

Sorted.

..............and the parents have to clean the place up after it is all overgigglem.gif