Travel to Myanmar by own motorbike (Honda dream)

There is a great report on GTR I read before about two guys who bought scooters and rode the coast road without a guide, I forgot the details but it's a great tale. If you want to do the trip, there is a way but it taking your bike in probably isn't an option.

Edited by recom273

There is a great report on GTR I read before about two guys who bought scooters and rode the coast road without a guide, I forgot the details but it's a great tale. If you want to do the trip, there is a way but it taking your bike in probably isn't an option.

I drove 30.000 km the past 2 years all over Laos , Thailand , Vietnam all with Honda dream so I guess it's not the bike which is the issue ;)

I drove 30.000 km the past 2 years all over Laos , Thailand , Vietnam all with Honda dream so I guess it's not the bike which is the issue ;)

Absolutely .. But you need to get it into the country first tho'

Did you find the report ? I think they spent more time detained by the military than riding but managed to do it.

I think flying and traveling by bus to a start point and buying a cheap scooter there and just selling it cheap at the other end would be a better way to start rather than an idea you are going to ride from Northern Thailand through an area of possible civil war on your own bike.

I'm interested. There must be so much to see, explore and record there.

My GF from Shan state. Needed to ask permission to cross the border and visit her family when I went with her. And not from any Government office either. Parts of Myanmar have SFA but warlords, so if you travel to the remote areas you are on your own. That being said I can't wait to ride around there, but will wait until it is more or less normal.

I drove 30.000 km the past 2 years all over Laos , Thailand , Vietnam all with Honda dream so I guess it's not the bike which is the issue wink.png

You took a Thai registered Honda Dream into Vietnam?

I drove 30.000 km the past 2 years all over Laos , Thailand , Vietnam all with Honda dream so I guess it's not the bike which is the issue wink.png

@ Recom, Blue meant that you might have to ride a bike onlocal plates which you buy or rent in Birma...

@ Recom, Blue meant that you might have to ride a bike onlocal plates which you buy or rent in Birma...

i think you have the wrong guy there but thanks anyway ;)

Great info but as long as I can't do it easy with my bike I guess it's not on the top list

Why not mate ? .. You have done everywhere else, part of the adventure would to be buy a bike and sell it at the end.

BTW .. Someone asked if you rode your own Dream in VN .. How did that work for you ?

Edited by recom273