farang work colleague has been absent for near 15 days

I work in a standard govt teaching job. One of my esteemed colleagues has not turned up for nearly 15 days and the boss knows that on the 15th day he should take action. I just wanted to confirm on this thread exactly what he has to do. Does he have to go to immigration to cancel the unsubs visa? Does he have to take an official letter? Is there a form as well?

What about the labour dept?

They are a bit clueless at my work- same as me....

many thanks

I assume he has a extension not a visa. Visas cannot be canceled.

His passport would be needed to cancel an extension.

His work permit could possibly be canceled without the passport but according to proper procedures he would need to sign a power of attorney for the school to do it.

• Like 1

Great mate you are,

Bit late to start worrying about paperwork now.

Have you bothered checking if he is still alive???

the OP never mentioned they were mates. Colleague - co-worker, fellow worker, member of staff etc.

David at std govt teaching job...check the usual place...soi 9 or any MonkeyHaus, various hospitals.....and your own giks as you MIGHT have more in common than you might initially realize.

Sorry, but this is LOS and anything goes.

Check with his students. 15 days you dilly-dallied? LOL!

How about this---once you find out as to your co-workers whereabouts, many of us are curious as to what has transpired.

Some pal! Hilarious!

I've seen vanishing acts both in Korea and Thailand.

Two couples just disappeared and did a great job of making the other foreign teachers look bad.

Two single teachers just took their last paychecks and ran during midterms. Very uncool. Yes, they gave the school the finger. Taking their midterm test results and forcing somebody else to go in at the eleventh hour test the students really was overkill. Their action also reflected poorly on the other foreign teachers. Some deserved the hairy eyeball; others did not.

There was another vanishing act. He didn't return from the Christmas/New Year break, and certainly had time to vanish. His medication, mostly vitamin supplements, was still in his desk. His phone was out of service. We really had no idea as to whether he'd run, become ill, or died.

I suppose the answer is to require a spouse's or friend's contact info so one can ask if a teacher is still alive. If both sets of contact info fail, they've run.

"I work in a standard govt teaching job. One of my esteemed colleagues has not turned up for nearly 15 days and the boss knows that on the 15th day he should take action. I just wanted to confirm on this thread exactly what he has to do. Does he have to go to immigration to cancel the unsubs visa? Does he have to take an official letter? Is there a form as well?"

Not sure where your boss got the info about taking action on the 15th day?

"Thailand labour law says that employees are entitled to unlimited sick leave but the number of paid sick days is only up to 30 regular workdays per year. The employer can ask an employee to produce a certificate from a qualified doctor for a sick leave of three days or more"

Edited by muzmurray
  • Like 1

No show and no communication, most jobs would mean instant dismissal. Waiting 15 days to take any action is laughable.

Edited by Rob13

No show and no communication, most jobs would mean instant dismissal. Waiting 15 days to take any action is laughable.

Unless he is in a coma in hospital after an accident or illness, I think any decent employer would get the facts before possibly facing an unfair dismissal claim.

• Like 1

Unless he is in a coma in hospital after an accident or illness, I think any decent employer would get the facts before possibly facing an unfair dismissal claim.

Any employer worth his salt wouldn't wait 2 weeks before taking action.

• Like 2

....some friend you are....

A "colleague". A person you are associated with through work or other common activities, .

A 'friend". A person you know personally who you drink beer with and share activities and personal conversations with.

A "friend" can be a "colleague" but a "colleague" does not have to be a "friend".