Thailand to Create Prison Strictly for Transgenders

webfact

Thailand to Create Prison Strictly for Transgenders

BANGKOK – Thailand prisons will start a pilot program to separate transgender inmates from the general inmate population, a rights group confirmed on Wednesday.

The test facility will be established in Bangkok’s Min Buri prison, following lobbying by Thai and foreign rights groups.

“While the population is not a large one, this campaign is not about the numbers but about protecting individuals from abuse,” said Jetsada Taesombat of the Thai Transgender Alliance.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/thailand-to-create-prison-strickty-for-transgenders.html

crt.png
-- Chiang Rai Times 2016-07-07

Lots of male prisoners will now suddenly claim to be gay! And to avoid double standards, if they are going to let all gays and all lesbians to stay together, should they let all heterosexual males and females be together?

This prison should have been located in Pattaya, however, this is a mistake to segregate TG's

from other prison populations, as that have served as a partial deterrent to all TG's would be

criminals, now with their own facilities, that scary prospect of being locked up with male prisoners

are removed......

This prison should have been located in Pattaya, however, this is a mistake to segregate TG's

from other prison populations, as that have served as a partial deterrent to all TG's would be

criminals, now with their own facilities, that scary prospect of being locked up with male prisoners

are removed......

and what alternative reality do you live in? Could be contender for dumbest post ever.

Lots of male prisoners will now suddenly claim to be gay! And to avoid double standards, if they are going to let all gays and all lesbians to stay together, should they let all heterosexual males and females be together?

They escalated quickly into downright idiocy, didn't it?

this is a good step towards human rights and to prevent sexual abuse to transgender. Dont just hate on everything the thai government comes up with. Its so good that someone can actually think of this. Shows how good, progressive and respectful someone in the government can be.

Jingthing will be along in a minute to tell you they're not gay, just confused (or something).

Probably a good thing to save more of the populace being turned ([emoji39]), but what next, a prison for toms, another for hi-sos (sorry, I forgot, they don't go to prison do they).

I wonder how the staff will be selected ?

I can't imagine being a correctional officer having to supervise a bunch of screaming lady boys day after day.

Yes, dealing with these cross dressers day after day will be a real pain in the arse.

I can't imagine being a correctional officer having to supervise a bunch of screaming lady boys day after day.

Yes, dealing with these cross dressers day after day will be a real pain in the arse.

clap2.gif Ouch !

i wonder if they'll call for volunteers to staff the prison and will anyone apply knowing they'll be viewed with some suspicion, at the very least.

Could you repeat your question once more, please? laugh.png

clap2.gif Ouch !

i wonder if they'll call for volunteers to staff the prison and will anyone apply knowing they'll be viewed with some suspicion, at the very least.

I know it is a bitch of a job but someone has to do it...................................cheesy.gif

Jingthing will be along in a minute to tell you they're not gay, just confused (or something).

Probably a good thing to save more of the populace being turned ([emoji39]), but what next, a prison for toms, another for hi-sos (sorry, I forgot, they don't go to prison do they).

I've heard Jingthing will become the first foreign prison director in history....thumbsup.gif

Ladyboy Island.........The Govt could run it like a resort. They get out when they stop beating killing or robbing tourists....

Edited by NickJ

The article in the OP is extremely misleading.

It's about much more than transgender persons.

Such segregation for protection reasons would indeed most certainly NOT be unique to Thailand.

The Corrections Department will soon build a special prison zone to hold lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) inmates within Bangkok’s Min Buri Prison, according to deputy permanent secretary for the Justice Ministry, Kobkiat Kasiwiwat.
The plan is in line with the department's policy, following the ministry being convinced by human rights organisations from inside Thailand and other countries that the Corrections Department should have a special facility to hold transgender persons for their protection. They could be sexually harassed or a prostitution issue could emerge if they were held with male peers, he said.

Thailand has 4,448 LGBT inmates in prisons nationwide - comprising 1,804 transsexuals, 352 gay men, 1,247 tomboys, 1,011 lesbian girls and 34 male transgenders.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/LGBT-prison-inmates-to-get-new-quarters-for-their--30289972.html

This is usually deemed to be protective custody, and common in first world countries.

The penal system (?) has a "duty of care" to protect those in their custody, so this could be construed as a step forward in their otherwise draconian prison system, and as such, should be applauded, not ridiculed.

Only a few days ago, everyone was up in arms about the disabled Brit in jail (I think it was a Brit?)... Ergo, the TV community does see a need for protective custody... So let's not now be hypocritical.

A baby must , at some point, take its first step... And yes, I know they have to crawl first... So perhaps view this as an attempt to crawl toward the enlightenment that, ironically, Thailand seems to pride itself upon ???